• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
xbhaskarx said:
Nice!
Although I am a Gatt fan I thought it might be a bit premature that Bradley almost called him up for the Gold Cup, but after goals in consecutive games maybe he is ready. Still, it's probably better that he's with his team right now, hopefully he gets called up for the Belgium friendly.

I agree. We need to let him develop more. Belgium and Camp Cupcake would be good times to call him up.

xbhaskarx

Mexico's roster:

GOALKEEPERS - Guillermo Ochoa (AC Ajaccio), Alfredo Talavera (Toluca).
DEFENDERS - Efrain Juarez (Real Zaragoza), Francisco Rodriguez (VfB Stuttgart), Hector Moreno (Espanyol), Carlos Salcido (Fulham), Rafa Marquez (New York Red Bulls), Jorge Torres Nilo (Tigres), Paul Aguilar (America).
MIDFIELDERS - Gerardo Torrado (Cruz Azul), Israel Castro (Cruz Azul), Jesus Zavala (Monterrey), Sinha (Toluca), Andres Guardado (Deportivo de La Coruna), Christian Bermudez (Atlante), Javier Aquino (Cruz Azul).
FORWARDS - Giovani Dos Santos (Tottenham), Pablo Barrera (West Ham), Oribe Peralta (Santos Laguna), Omar Arellano (Chivas de Guadalajara).

Pre

The lack of George John is curious. We need to show interest in him before he goes over to Greece. I'd also like to see Omar Gonzalez at some point. He doesn't have Ream's skills on the ball, but I consider a much stronger defender. Ream's actual defensive ability is questionable.

xbhaskarx

Chandler out with an injury, Loyd replaces him:

Zach Loyd Added to U.S. Roster for Match Against Mexico on Aug. 10 in Philadelphia

U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann has added FC Dallas defender Zach Loyd to the roster for the match against regional rival Mexico on Aug. 10 at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia. Loyd replaces fellow defender Timmy Chandler, who is working back to full fitness after suffering an injury setback in advance of the start of the Bundesliga season.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Chandler played all 90 minutes with his club in the game today. He wanted to commit to his club but he has committed to both US friendlies next month since he isn't playing on Wednesday.

sazabirules said:
Gatt scored again for Molde.

Nice goal

Love that goal.

xbhaskarx said:
lol

http://ussoccerfanproblems.tumblr.com/

tumblr_lpa197Br0d1r0ibexo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lpbomzsHke1r0ibexo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lp8pvdaiWo1r0ibexo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lp84mq7K6R1r0ibexo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lp83e3E7yV1r0ibexo1_500.jpg

lol i had no idea this was around.... I KNOW THAT DUDE. (he is the chapter president for our local chapter of American Outlaws)

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Altidore scored in his debut for Alkmaar.

Robbie Rogers is replacing Maurice Edu on the roster because Mo has a calf strain.

xbhaskarx

So Rogers is now a positive because Klinsmann had selected six central midfielders (including not only the hated Ricardo Clark but also Kyle Beckerman) before?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
xbhaskarx said:
So Rogers is now a positive because Klinsmann had selected six central midfielders (including not only the hated Ricardo Clark but also Kyle Beckerman) before?

What is wrong with not caring that he was called up as an injury replacement in a friendly? Being called up on to a tournament and a friendly are completely different.

All I said was I don't mind that we have another option out wide during a friendly. I wasn't commenting on the quality of those six players at all. I'm not looking too much into a roster that was selected in less than a week.

daoster

daoster

Great interview with Herr Klinsmann:

SI.com: People are looking forward to the U.S. perhaps playing a more attacking style. Does the U.S. have the players to do that?

Klinsmann: Obviously we would love to have more depth in the player pool that is really attacking-minded and has all the options to go into the box and create chances and all that. It is what it is. And I think now getting the team together for the first time, for us it's really important just to get a sense for what they're able to do and what they're not able to do. And down the road I think we're forced into a position that maybe except Mexico, in the CONCACAF region we have to develop a style of play that is more attack-based and more possession-oriented because the opponents would rather react to our style than be proactive. All the other nations are in a more holding-back role when we face them, if it's Costa Rica, Guatemala or Nicaragua, whoever it is. They will sit back and wait and go, what is the U.S. team doing? So you're forced into a position where you have to set the tone as the U.S. team.

ngower

Article from Uruguay today saying they've extended an offer to train with the U20 team. In a Boston Globe article, Fagundez said that he'd like the play for the US, but the process is taking so long that he might just play for Uruguay.

DO NOT MESS THIS UP US SOCCER!

xbhaskarx

ngower said:
Article from Uruguay today saying they've extended an offer to train with the U20 team. In a Boston Globe article, Fagundez said that he'd like the play for the US, but the process is taking so long that he might just play for Uruguay.

DO NOT MESS THIS UP US SOCCER!

Wow, I can't believe Uruguay are already coming after him, the day after his first goal...

That is out of the hands of US Soccer, they can help give his family assistance but they can't speed up the citizenship process. If they could, Andy Najar would be a US citizen already, as would Mwanga, Zakuani, etc.

Well if these guys want to play for US soccer they need to get married and have a baby to speed up the process. Don't know why nobody has told them yet.

xbhaskarx

Fagundez is barely 16, I doubt getting married and having kids is even on his radar...

http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/articles/2011/08/08/it_was_a_sweet_16_celebration/
Also on Fagundez’s list of decisions is his international future. Uruguay’s national team program is interested in recruiting Fagundez for the Under-20s, according to a source. Fagundez was born in Uruguay and is ineligible to play for the United States.

“I would play for the US but it’s taking a long time, and I don’t feel they want me,’’ Fagundez said. “If they helped me I definitely would take it, but I can’t do anything about it. Of course, I would take a chance with Uruguay - not a lot of people get invited by them.’’

Fagundez is the first player the Revolution have signed from their academy program, which was established in 2009. He moved to the US when he was 5 and started performing soon after on Massachusetts Youth Soccer Association teams. At 9, Fagundez was playing for the State Under-13 team. Last year, he became the second-youngest player to sign an MLS contract, when he was 15, a year older than former D.C. United forward Freddy Adu.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Regulus Tera said:
Hey US GAF are we gonna have another thread for the friendly?

Nah I don't think the friendly is worth another thread. Discussion in here and in the main thread is fine with me. I was surprised someone made a thread for the GC final.

Apparently a third player will be scratched from the roster. Maybe Adu or Bradley is getting closer to a deal?

sazabirules said:
Nah I don't think the friendly is worth another thread. Discussion in here and in the main thread is fine with me. I was surprised someone made a thread for the GC final.

Apparently a third player will be scratched from the roster. Maybe Adu or Bradley is getting closer to a deal?
Adu better be there. We need him for the playmaker that he has become.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
The injured player is Goodson. Being so close to the match a replacement won't be called up. George John would have been perfect for this callup if we had more time.

sazabirules said:
The injured player is Goodson. Being so close to the match a replacement won't be called up. George John would have been perfect for this callup if we had more time.
Well that sucks we won't have anyone.

6-0 to mexico?.

God it hurts saying that.

daoster

This kinda came out from nowhere... MLS and nbc have signed a 3 year deal... 45 MLS games + 4 USMNT games... Starts in 2012

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Freddy Adu might be signed as a DP by Chivas USA. I'd prefer he play in Europe but any playing time is better than no playing time.

Slizz

This a good game to start Klinsman's tenure. Obviously it'll be impossible to have already gotten our 'style' but I'd like to see anything thats positive and pointing us in the right direction. A win could solve that with more attacking play from the start.

Nesotenso

sazabirules said:
Here's the link that Judderman posted in the two other threads.

Yeah I googled it myself. I dunno if the Fox deal was in anyway beneficial but getting exposure on NBC is great I guess. Bigger ratings, more money pours into the game. ESPN will still broadcast games of the week, I guess ?

daoster

Slizz said:
This a good game to start Klinsman's tenure. Obviously it'll be impossible to have already gotten our 'style' but I'd like to see anything thats positive and pointing us in the right direction. A win could solve that with more attacking play from the start.
We had a very attacking start against mexico... In fact bob even said that he was pressing for a third goal in that game... Probably one of the more attacking team we played under bob

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see Agudelo starting tonight. While talented, I think US fans overrate him. The GC showed he's not effective for 90 minutes.

Slizz

daoster said:
We had a very attacking start against mexico... In fact bob even said that he was pressing for a third goal in that game... Probably one of the more attacking team we played under bob

Yup and everyone here including me was eating it up. Problem is that was 1 game out of a 4 year sample size( I know it wasn't the only game where we preformed good out of the gate) and we still ended up losing in the end(like every other hot start to a match we've had it seems)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom