• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Posted this in the Football thread, but thought you guys might be interested as well. An 11-year old from Los Altos Hills, CA is joing the Madrid academy officially and will be the first American to ever do so.

Joshua Pynadath, 11, shone in a trial in Madrid earlier this year, with the club swiftly inviting him back.

Now the Los Altos Hills youngster and his family will move to Madrid at the end of August, enabling him to spend a year with Real's Alevin A team.
He had been drawn to Real's attention a year ago, when scouts saw a video of him playing for his local De Anza Force Soccer Club and were so impressed by his skills that they invited him to train in Spain for a week.

That went so well that he returned for the second trial – having also had a short trial with Barcelona – and he said: "The Real Madrid academy team and coaches seemed very excited to have me back - it was like I had never left.
http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1...ua-pynadath-joins-real-madrid-academy?cc=5901

Here's a pic of him and his younger brother at the stadium last year:

019+%25282%2529.JPG

Found a video of a goal he scored for their U-11 team while on trial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZSNRm0MnUE&feature=youtu.be
Looks like the Guardian put up a compilation video including the previously linked goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCl5tKyXbvA

gutshot

Posted this in the Football thread, but thought you guys might be interested as well. An 11-year old from Los Altos Hills, CA is joing the Madrid academy officially and will be the first American to ever do so.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1...ua-pynadath-joins-real-madrid-academy?cc=5901

Here's a pic of him and his younger brother at the stadium last year:

Found a video of a goal he scored for their U-11 team while on trial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZSNRm0MnUE&feature=youtu.be
Looks like the Guardian put up a compilation video including the previously linked goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCl5tKyXbvA

Freddy Adu Redux

...That's probably unfair. The kid may turn out to be a star, but I've learned not to put any expectations in young kids.

Meier

I keep hearing this going too. I know rumors were swirling earlier this month, but I thought his agent came out and made it clear he wasn't going anywhere?

Agents, players, coaches, etc. can say one thing publicly and then it's not true a day later. Deuce is probably on the move but I don't think it'll be to the MLS. Not enough money to pay him anywhere comparable to his Spurs salary I'd imagine and there's no way an MLS team will pay anywhere near what Spurs would want. I could see the Everton rumor being far more likely. They'd probably offer at least £4-5m.

These videos that NBC are doing for the EPL on NBC are pretty funny: http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...is-as-coach-lasso-premier-league-merriment-2/

CobbFC09

Nesotenso

Also rumors floating around about Stoke and others looking at Agudelo.

@MLSTransfers 3h
Interest in Agudelo currently: Stoke, Celtic, Sunderland and now add Aberdeen to this list. More than likely trying to raise JA's price

CobbFC09

Wow is right.

No club in the MLS can touch the type of offers Tottenham could get from some of the other top flight clubs in Europe. Was Tottenham just really desperate to sell?

And on Deuce's part, why agree to a move back to the MLS, when you could still start on top-flight European clubs with a chance at playing Champions League football?
Yeah, doesn't make sense at all. No idea why he'd essentially "pack it up" and head to the MLS when he still has a couple of years to fulfill his desire to play in the Champions League. I'm stunned man.

Meier

only Sounders fans can be remotely happy if this stupid deal goes through.

Yeah, that's a real shame. I honestly thought it was completely out of the realm of possibility since he still scored a decent number of goals last year and the fact I wouldn't expect Spurs to sell at a completely cut-rate price. Smart move for the Sounders though if they pull it off.

Man I thought the Dempsey thing was 0% chance of happening. Does MLS rights come into play with this at all, wouldn't the Revs be first in line?

Would much rather see him play for my EPL team Everton than my MLS team.....

why go for the sounders or for any MLS teams right before the WC? WTF ?

BECAUSE WE'RE AWESOME YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH

Scuttlebutt is that he thinks it'll improve his fitness for 2014 because of pairing with EJ and having guaranteed playing time. Playing with the Sounders definitely makes more sense than riding the pine with Tottenham, though he'd get better experience if he did manage to find a job in the XI at a European team.

Ives is running with the story now.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/08/seattle-sounders-finalized.html

Man I thought the Dempsey thing was 0% chance of happening. Does MLS rights come into play with this at all, wouldn't the Revs be first in line?

Would much rather see him play for my EPL team Everton than my MLS team.....

NER sold him, so they don't have any rights on him. MLS' rules are maddeningly opaque, but the normal rule for returning national team players is that they go through allocation order. Right now Portland holds the first place in the allocation order, Seattle the second. Scuttlebutt is that the league's changed their mind and decided DPs don't go through allocation, but that's not confirmed. Either way, they won't get too much in the way of Dempsey coming to Seattle if that's what Dempsey wants, but Portland may wind up getting a piece or two and some draft picks in exchange for their slot in the allocation order.

daoster

The top American goal scorer in the EPL, and he couldn't find another club in Europe? Not even a Championship team?

And riding the pine at Tottenham? Spurs did buy a lot of quality players this year, but this is what happens when you come play for a club that has Champion's League ambition. You fight for your spot, and if there's one American who I would have believed to continue to stay and fight (at least for ONE more season), that man would have been Dempsey.

And besides, between the Europa League, FA Cup, Carling Cup, and regular season, that is a lot of games, and a long season for the Spurs. And if anything, if he was used more as a sub for Tottenham, he would probably be better rested for the 2014 WC.

This is a horrible move for Clint, I'm sorry. I am severely disappointed in him, if he's moving to Seattle for "fitness" reasons or for "money reasons." If these were more personal reasons like family, or other stuff, then I would have understood (disappointed, but understanding).

But from what we know now...this is not the move I want my captain to make.

What league has the USMNT's leading scorer and assist man played for for most of his career, again?

Our starting center back tandem?

Our most important creative force throughout qualifying?

daoster

What league has the USMNT's leading scorer and assist man played for for most of his career, again?

Donovan is an exception, not a rule. Our national team head coach has said himself, to be the best team in the region and to compete with the world's best, our players have to play with the best in the world's best leagues + Champion's League.

MLS is a great league, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend that it's one of those top leagues that Jurgen is referring to.

The answer to all of this is : MLS for now. But don't think for a moment that when opportunity knocks that our best players won't jump into the European leagues (though for their sake, I hope they don't go to STOKE)

Nesotenso

and everyone here will agree that they should leave if a better European offer comes through particularly from the big 4 leagues in Europe, then those unnamed guys should leave

One of the better scorers abroad and he lands for the fucking Sounder /MLS teams?
I feel in the end that every player should do what is best for them. But pretending that the MLS isn't big step down in pretty much all matters is delusional. I hope he does well wherever he is before 2014, but I hope US talent always dream bigger and better. Your Sounders and the MLS certainly aren't that.

Donovan is an exception, not a rule. Our national team head coach has said himself, to be the best team in the region and to compete with the world's best, our players have to play with the best in the world's best leagues + Champion's League.

MLS is a great league, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend that it's one of those top leagues that Jurgen is referring to.

The answer to all of this is : MLS for now. But don't think for a moment that when opportunity knocks that our best players won't jump into the European leagues (though for their sake, I hope they don't go to STOKE)

I don't deny that there are better leagues than MLS, but I think that people underestimate the importance of consistent playing time and a club setup where people are settled in and comfortable. There's are as many players whose national career completely founders abroad as there are who make the next step. Adu, Johnson, seemingly now Shea, Donovan, as opposed to players like Dempsey and and Bradley for whom the move was really positive.

Besides which, the best bet for the USMNT to prosper long term is to improve the quality of play in MLS, to the point where it will be one of the best leagues in the world. You won't get there without prominent yanks like Donovan spending some of their best years in the league.

Lol Joshua Mayers

Of the last 15 goals scored by the USMNT in World Cup qualifying, 10 have been scored by Sounders (Clint Dempsey, Eddie Johnson, Brad Evans)

— Joshua Mayers (@joshuamayers) August 2, 2013

Nesotenso

Wondolowski spends all his time in MLS too!

lol.

yeah Wondo does his thing well but no way he is going to Brazil. If he is then the US team has issues.

guess Dempsey to Sounders is done. seems like his European career is also done.

I can understand his concern about playing time but such a step down

I hope his agent and he exhausted all options before deciding on the Sounders. So much for Champions League.

he's tired of the bullshit. i dont blame him. imagine having to fight for respect+your spot every season.

hes going t get paid a lot where he can go fishing and chill out and enjoy the atmosphere. good on clint.

fuck the epl

gutshot

Michael Bradley doesn't play in MLS. :p

I wonder what Klinsmann thinks of this? He can't be happy given his constant desire for the US players to aim higher. And coming from the captain of the squad too? It will be interesting to hear what Jurgen has to say about this although I guess he's not going to be speaking to the media for a while.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/so...nsfer-mls-seattle-sounders-tottenham-hotspur/

Shocking transfer has Dempsey headed to Seattle Sounders

130802212059-clint-dempsey--single-image-cut.jpg

Clint Dempsey, the U.S. national team captain who has spent the past several seasons scoring regularly in England, is on his way to the Seattle Sounders. The stunning transfer immediately will become one of the most significant transactions in Major League Soccer history when it is announced on Saturday.

SI.com has confirmed the move, which first was reported by ESPN on Friday evening.

Dempsey, 30, was rumored to be on the way out at Tottenham Hotspur following a 2012-13 season in which he failed to start consistently under coach André Villas-Boas. But no one expected a return to MLS, especially for an athlete in his prime who'd been so vocal about his desire to play for a high-level club competing for a berth in the UEFA Champions League.

Hints began to surface on Thursday, when Fox Soccer analyst Keith Costigan revealed on Twitter that the Sounders were "interested" in Dempsey. Later that day, the player was photographed at the airport in San Francisco. Tottenham, which is preparing for the 2013-14 English Premier League season, is scheduled to play an exhibition in Monaco on Saturday.

Following ESPN's report, SI.com learned from a source with direct knowledge of the Sounders' plans that Dempsey will be in attendance at the club's MLS match against FC Dallas on Saturday night. He is expected to be formally presented to the media on Monday. He had two seasons left on his contract with Tottenham, which reportedly paid around $10 million to acquire him from London rival Fulham last summer. Friday reports out of Seattle suggested that the Sounders paid some $9 million for Dempsey's rights.

Nesotenso

Clint is not even going get to play CONCACAF champions league in 2013-14.

Well tuning to EPL to root on Sunderland, Everton, Aston Villa and Stoke (hope they actually try and play soccer)

CobbFC09

Clint is not even going get to play CONCACAF champions league in 2013-14.

Well tuning to EPL to root on Sunderland, Everton, Aston Villa and Stoke (hope they actually try and play soccer)
While I don't really like the move for Dempsey, it definitely has me wanting to actually watch the MLS.

I don't understand the outrage over Dempsey's move. He's 30 years old, he's not going to get any better or more experienced playing in Europe. He's already peaked. It makes sense for him to come back to his home country, to gain fitness and bring a little prestige to the league, and practice playing with EJ to prepare for the WC.

I really don't see how this is a bad move for him at all. If he were 25 I'd say yeah, this is a step backwards, but he's already 30.

Nesotenso

I don't understand the outrage over Dempsey's move. He's 30 years old, he's not going to get any better or more experienced playing in Europe. He's already peaked. It makes sense for him to come back to his home country, to gain fitness and bring a little prestige to the league, and practice playing with EJ to prepare for the WC.

I really don't see how this is a bad move for him at all. If he were 25 I'd say yeah, this is a step backwards, but he's already 30.

true. at least he gets playing time. but lets say, Herc, Boyd and Aron all have break out years at their clubs. Who gets left out then ?

edit: if this gets more US fans to watch MLS also great.

but lets say, Herc, Boyd and Aron all have break out years at their clubs. Who gets left out then ?

IMHO Dempsey is clearly a class above all 3 players and he has a history of contributing in big games when called up to the Nats

Those other 3 players would all have to play out of their minds for the next year for Deuce to even start breaking a sweat about losing his starting spot let alone being left out of the squad

Nesotenso

IMHO Dempsey is clearly a class above all 3 players and he has a history of contributing in big games when called up to the Nats

Those other 3 players would all have to play out of their minds for the next year for Deuce to even start breaking a sweat about losing his starting spot let alone being left out of the squad

yeah I think he is almost surely lock for Brazil. but I am disappointed as the MLS is a step down and I say this as a fan of the league. Surprising part is that he stated he wanted CL football. Now that's never gonna happen

maybe the Spurs really didn't need him ( he never really seemed to fit in last year comfortably) and he knew fighting playing time was going to be a lost cause with all the transfers coming in.

well at least there are some positives from this.

edit : 32 million over 4 years also seems like a smart deal for Dempsey's POV. will be in all likelihood his last WC cycle.
At least shows teams and league are willing to spend serious cash.

I just think it's funny how Deuce went from "I need to play in the Champions League" last year to "I just want to chill at home and get some run with my best bud EJ"

I'm not mad at him though. This is a great move for the Sounders, the MLS gets another premiere player, Tottenham has more than enough quality to cover for his loss, and Dempsey now definitely has guaranteed playing time.

daoster

I don't deny that there are better leagues than MLS, but I think that people underestimate the importance of consistent playing time and a club setup where people are settled in and comfortable. There's are as many players whose national career completely founders abroad as there are who make the next step. Adu, Johnson, seemingly now Shea, Donovan, as opposed to players like Dempsey and and Bradley for whom the move was really positive.

Besides which, the best bet for the USMNT to prosper long term is to improve the quality of play in MLS, to the point where it will be one of the best leagues in the world. You won't get there without prominent yanks like Donovan spending some of their best years in the league.

True, consistent playing time and a place where players are settled in are important. But at the same time, I think there's also something to be said about the importance about fighting for your spot against the world's best players in one of the best leagues. And you're right, there are players whose career flounders because they can't make it abroad, but let's not pretend for a moment that Dempsey is, or would be one of them if he stays in Tottenham. Of course, Spurs bought a lot of players this past off season, and of course Dempsey is not guaranteed playing time.

But he's stated time and time again that he wanted to play for a Champion's League team, and these are the challenges that come along with that territory. It just seems super disappointing to me that he would SEEMINGLY give up on that dream.

I REALLY want to know what Jurgen thinks of this move. 6 months ago, he said Clint hasn't done shit at Tottenham and Fulham was nothing. Now our Captain goes to Seattle.

I also think that the growth of MLS is important for the popularity and growth of the sport as a viable option in this country, but in no way do I think that it is a direct correlation to the long term success of our USMNT team. The English league is one of the top 5 leagues in the world, and that has not translated into their national team.

Nothing against MLS. I enjoy watching it grow, and want to see it soar even higher. But I care much, much more about the USMNT and NOW, and I just don't think this move is the optimal move for Deuce for 2014 WC. (If he did a move like this AFTER 2014, I might understand, but now?).

Best of luck to him though.

methodman

Banned
I'm sorry doaster but you just posted that same idea about donovan earlier in this thread for reasons you dislike him. Saying that they have to go to a stronger league and need to prove they can play all the time is OK and all, but at some point these guys probably get pissed. How much more did Dempsey have to prove before getting consistent time at Spurs? He was getting benched randomly and it probably wrecked his game. I feel like he has to be a every day player to show his skills, and he wasn't getting that, even after scoring 20+ at Fulham. It was always bullshit Imo. I feel like donovan has always been great enough to play in the epl as well, but having to prove to the euro media that you are good enough every single day is complete doo doo for players of Dempsey and donovans caliber.

NoRéN

but having to prove to the euro media that you are good enough every single day is complete doo doo for players of Dempsey and donovans caliber.
YES!

Donovan was playing in MLS during 2010. he was resposible for the two performances that got US out of the group stage.

Consistency over European play.

i agree. having to prove yourself over and over is tiring. I'm glad's Clint back where the stress is much less. He's in a good environment -- this will be better for our WC chances, trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom