• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

i agree. having to prove yourself over and over is tiring. I'm glad's Clint back where the stress is much less. He's in a good environment -- this will be better for our WC chances, trust me.

Much prefer him in a city that loves its football and its club and will show their appreciation for him every game rather than riding the bench in a top league whose press just loves to point out when americans "flop" there.

hom3land

Could this have any impact in more Sounders games getting national coverage or is the schedule for the remainder of the season written in stone?

gutshot

@LeanderOnFOX said:
Authoritative Dutch outlet @VI_nl reports that Aron Johannsson has been called up for the U.S. friendly against Bosnia on Aug. 14.

As expected, Johannsson will don the red, white and blue for the first time versus Bosnia. With John Anthony Brooks also a rumored call-up, sounds like we will get a look at both of our dual-nationals in that game.

Meier

As expected, Johannsson will don the red, white and blue for the first time versus Bosnia. With John Anthony Brooks also a rumored call-up, sounds like we will get a look at both of our dual-nationals in that game.

Nice! Brooks could be a very important player in the coming years. Hertha got prompted back to the Bundesliga after winning the 2nd division, so hopefully he remains a starter for them and continues to grow -- he has the size/stature to develop into one of our best CBs in the future.

daoster

I'm sorry doaster but you just posted that same idea about donovan earlier in this thread for reasons you dislike him. Saying that they have to go to a stronger league and need to prove they can play all the time is OK and all, but at some point these guys probably get pissed. How much more did Dempsey have to prove before getting consistent time at Spurs? He was getting benched randomly and it probably wrecked his game. I feel like he has to be a every day player to show his skills, and he wasn't getting that, even after scoring 20+ at Fulham. It was always bullshit Imo. I feel like donovan has always been great enough to play in the epl as well, but having to prove to the euro media that you are good enough every single day is complete doo doo for players of Dempsey and donovans caliber.

First of all, I don't give a damn, at all, what the Euro Media thinks, and I could care less about US players abroad having to prove themselves to the Euro Media (especially the English media). I don't think our players need to prove themselves to the freaking UK or European media, I just want to see our best playing against the best in the arguably best competition in the world (Champion's League). That's all.

AS far consistent time @ Spurs...he joined the team in the 11th hour of the end of the transfer period, so he basically had no time to integrate with the team, he also had a period where he was out injured with a small injury, and despite all that, he played in 29 (started 23) of the Spurs in the EPL. That's about 75% of the EPL games Spurs played last year, that seems pretty consistent to me, all things considered.

Listen, I understand. At some point, you feel like the players deserve more respect and shouldn't have to prove themselves over and over in a foreign league. But this is the life they chose, and these are the ambitions they have.

Anyways, it's no use arguing this point over and over, since we'll just argue back and forth on the same things. Let's just agree to disagree on the point of Dempsey, and hope he stays sharp for 2014!

gutshot said:
As expected, Johannsson will don the red, white and blue for the first time versus Bosnia. With John Anthony Brooks also a rumored call-up, sounds like we will get a look at both of our dual-nationals in that game

Wait this isn't clear, will Aron's application to FIFA even be finished in time for the game? I fully expect him to get a call up to the friendly, but that's probably more on getting him integrated into the USMNT setup, getting used to the USMNT players and all that. I don't think he'll even be on the bench, if his team switch application hasn't been approved by FIFA yet.

gutshot

Grant Wahl: How Seattle's stunning Clint Dempsey deal got done

Good article. Loved the bit about them sneaking him out of the airport!

Also one detail in this story helped me see how the deal makes a lot more sense from Dempsey's perspective. It was the revelation that Dempsey's contract includes a provision for him to go out on an off-season loan this coming fall/winter in prep for WC 2014. That should appease the USMNT fans like myself who were worried about his level of play falling off. Now he will get plenty of playing time for the Sounders and then in the off-season will likely be loaned out to some EPL team fighting for a top 4 spot, or even fighting to stay out of the relegation zone, which should help him be as sharp as he can be for next summer.

Once the World Cup is past, he can play wherever he wants for all I care. He's likely not going to be a part of our 2018 squad (at least I hope not). I'm sure he is thinking the same. So, in his mind, this is his last permanent stop in his playing career. He's just going there a year earlier than people may have expected.

Clydefrog

it's unbelievable how much Johannsson looks like Kevin Bacon

o8kNDJh.jpg

CobbFC09

One year ago today the USWNT defeated Canada 4-3 in the Olympic semifinals. That match was one of the most entertaining woman's soccer games I've ever seen.

daoster

Seems like Bedoya is moving to Ligue 1 to Nantes. Should be a step up from the Swedish league!

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/08/report-bedoya-nantes.html

So apparently, there's going to to be a tug of war over John Anthony Brooks, as the U-21 coach for Germany has called in Brooks.

Should be exciting.

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/h...ll-brooks-fuer-deutschland-31694640.bild.html

EDIT: Here's an English article on the whole Brooks situation.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/08/national-invited-germany.html

Meier

I hope Brooks makes the right decision and plays for the US. We desperately need CBs whereas Germany has a slew of them. Hummels, Boateng, Badstuber etc. have senior team CB spots tied for the next decade or so..

daoster

We're #1! We're #1! We're #1!*

In CONCACAF

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/08/brooks-germany-squad.html

Brooks left off the German under 21 squad.. So does that mean we won? Will be good seeing him in a friendly but nothing is permanent until he's capped.

To be safe, we should cap him on the last US Qualifier, since we've likely cemented our spot by then. Unless we are in danger of losing our first place standing.

EDIT: Also, not 100% USMNT related (which makes me sad), but Charlie Davies is coming back to the US! NE Revs have acquired him:
http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/08/revolution-charlie-davies.html

Might this usher in the renaissance we've been waiting for? (it's crazy to think he's already 27, thought he was younger, actually)

Callups for the Bosnia match starting to trickle in. Official list will be out on Monday.

- Grant Wahl: Dempsey left off national team squad for Bosnia friendly
Dempsey's Seattle teammates, Eddie Johnson and Brad Evans, will be part of the U.S. squad next week, according to a source with knowledge of the call-ups.

In other U.S. squad news, SI.com has also confirmed that promising 20-year-old Hertha Berlin defender John Anthony Brooks has accepted a call-up and will be with the U.S. senior team for the first time next week. Brooks, the son of a German woman and U.S. serviceman, has dual citizenship and reportedly turned down a call-up this week to the German under-21 team.

It depends who's available for the call up. I don't think he's a long-term solution for the US. If no one else can make it, Klinsmann might as well run him out against Bosnia and see if he can hack it against a better team on the road.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
yeah I guess there might be extenuating circumstances that prevent you from calling in the best 23 but I hope we are done with mediocrity and stop gap measures by the time the WC rolls around.

I have no doubt we'll be seeing out best 23 consistently by the WC.

daoster

Add Danny Williams (who recently transferred to Reading in the Championship) to the list of called up players:

Summer signing from Hoffenheim, Danny Williams, has been called up by the United States for their friendly with Bosnia & Herzegovina on Wednesday 14th August. It is believed that Jurgen Klinsmann is a big fan of the midfielder, who will want to make an impression, ahead of next year's World Cup in Brazil.

http://www.reading.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=327814#ixzz2bPtCwbNf

Nesotenso

Is there a better time for Klinssman to experiment than a meaningless friendly? It's not like Evans has played poorly in the WCQ matches either, really
well then experiment with someone who can contribute in Brazil.

a makeshift RB is not helping stop world class wingers. Evans is incredibly out of his depth at RB. Moreover if JK is looking for someone to overlap and bomb crosses in and get into the attack from the right flanks, Brad is not his guy.

well then experiment with someone who can contribute in Brazil.

a makeshift RB is not helping stop world class wingers. Evans is incredibly out of his depth at RB. Moreover if JK is looking for someone to overlap and bomb crosses in and get into the attack from the right flanks, Brad is not his guy.

We're really thin at RB, though, and Evans has played well there during qualifiers. He's probably third on the depth chart at this point, and the two guys ahead of 'em are older older and have injury histories. I wouldn't be sad if Evans got called into the WC squad as a backup if one of them gets injured.

We're really thin at RB, though, and Evans has played well there during qualifiers. He's probably third on the depth chart at this point, and the two guys ahead of 'em are older older and have injury histories. I wouldn't be sad if Evans got called into the WC squad as a backup if one of them gets injured.

Yedlin probably wouldn't be ready by then...

Roster rumors for the Bosnia friendly:

Zusi is out (injury). Boyd probably in. Kljestan is in. Fabian Johnson still injured. Corona and Castillo are probably in. Cameron is in. Probably no Jozy. Regarding Donovan - Bruce Arena says "I don't think we have anyone called up...We'll see at this point. Those things could change."

hom3land

I hope Fox sports 1 or someone else buys the Bundesliga rights. I'm not adding more to my cable bill to get a SD feed of GolTV.

Goltv has their rights until 2015. They even have Eredivisie so no Aron either. Was hoping with the new fox sport channel, nbc sports growing..we'd be getting more european leagues besides the EPL.

Some new info.

Aron Johanson scored today on a pk.

And according to his club timothy chandler hasn't been called up for the usmnt game.

Roster:
65CI8uW.png

Roger Bennett said:
Klinsmann tells me Aron Johannsson won't play barring a miracle as FIFA papers yet to arrive. Called him up just to get a feel for the squad

Jurgen has 2 goals for this game: 1. test the Early/pre-season fitness of European squad members 2. Blood young Bobby Wood and John Brooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom