• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

What will you guys be happy with or what do you expect? Round of 16?

I'd be happy with making it to the RO16, but that depends on the group. If we draw the Group of Death then I'll be happy if we just play three good games against the other teams. If the group is weak then we should advance out with no issue but then depending on who we would play we could lose or make it to RO4 or hell win it all.

Team can play very well as they have shown these past few months, just hope we don't slump just before the WC.

Clydefrog

dH6T60Zl.jpg

sUQyWUz.gif

(it's not terrible)

Never been to a soccer game but went yesterday and it was one of the cooler events ive been to. Lots of fun. I don't think they like playing in Chicago if they can avoid it but I hope they come back.

gutshot

dH6T60Zl.jpg

My 2014 U.S. World Cup roster as of right now...
– LeanderLastNameNoFit ‏(@LeanderOnFOX) July 28, 2013

Not sure how serious this is considering his spelling of "Donavan," but it's definitely interesting. I'm personally still on the fence with Wondo. He played great against Belize and Cuba, but wasn't so good in the Costa Rica or El Salvador game. Gomez at the wing also has me intrigued.

No Cameron? Gomez on the wing? Zusi not starting? Yeah, I don't like this lineup. This is what I'd like to see:

----------------Altidore-------------Dempsey------------

Donovan--------Cameron--Bradley--------------Zusi

F. Johnson-----Besler---Gonzalez----------Beasley

--------------------------Howard----------------------------

Bench: Shea, EJ, Goodson, Jones, Beckerman, Diskerud, Corona, Orozco-Fiscal, Gomez, Chandler, Evans, Guzan

-Donovan wouldn't be playing as a pure winger, but rather pinching in and really just roaming throughout the offensive half. This would allow Johnson to get down the flank, which he is great at, and let Donovan stay around the ball creating space for himself and others.
-I'd also like to see Beasley move to the right back position where the US has a big hole right now. Playing behind Zusi would mean he wouldn't be going forward as much, which in my opinion is a good thing, as I feel he lacks the technical ability and pace to cause much trouble for good teams.
-I really like Cameron better in the 6 position, but I'm guessing Klinsmann will use his boy, JJ.
-I threw Chandler in there based on reputation alone, since I've never seen him play.
-I don't think Wondo has beat out Gomez or Eddie Johnson.
-Holden might make the bench over Mix, if he's healthy.
-I like Corona better than Bedoya, but that might come down to who is playing more/better at the time.
-Beckerman played his way to Brazil this Gold Cup.
-If Shea gets playing time at Stoke this season, he could be a great super sub. If not, I still think he makes the team due to his size and pace and unpredictability.

I feel like the top half of this formation is, barring injury, almost certainly what we will see in Brazil (with Cameron or Jones being the only toss-up). The defense is less solidified and I could see this lineup changing quite a bit. Besler, I feel, is a lock. The rest I'm not sure about.

Saw Aron Johannson has bailed out of Iceland to play for the US national team instead.
That's potentially another good pick up for us. We'll have to see what he's capable of when he comes into camp, presumably for the Bosnia game.
----------------Altidore-------------Dempsey------------

Donovan--------Cameron--Bradley--------------Zusi

F. Johnson-----Besler---Gonzalez----------Beasley

--------------------------Howard----------------------------

Bench: Shea, EJ, Goodson, Jones, Beckerman, Diskerud, Corona, Orozco-Fiscal, Gomez, Chandler, Evans, Guzan
Good list overall. I think Jones is still ahead of Cameron by a fair bit, but that might not be the case next Summer. I don't like having guys playing inside-out on the wingbacks, so I'd probably keep my fingers crossed and hope 'Dolo or Chandler are good to go at DR. My main issue with having Beasley there is his inability to cross with his right and his lack of experience on the right side.
I'd be happy with making it to the RO16, but that depends on the group. If we draw the Group of Death then I'll be happy if we just play three good games against the other teams. If the group is weak then we should advance out with no issue but then depending on who we would play we could lose or make it to RO4 or hell win it all.
It's going to depend on the match ups in the group. There are situations in which I'd be very unhappy if the US doesn't advance and other ones where I'd begrudgingly accept if the US had some bad luck in the Group of Death but played well. The US isn't going to get seeded next Summer, so there are potentially some very tough groups if they get a bad draw.

Meier

Another challenger appears!

Damn..we are stacked with strikers... when was the last time you heard that?

Looks like Jóhannsson played quite well for AZ after moving late in the transfer window in January. That's very encouraging.

Ohhh, this is the kid who scored the hat trick in no time flat. I remember being blown away by the real time video of it. Shame he wasn't able to get into the Gold Cup squad.. although Jurgen probably wouldn't have given him any time anyway.

daoster

I admit I haven't paid much attention to Aron, so I'm excited to see what he brings to the table. Hopefully he comes in for the Bosnia friendly and we can see what he's made up of.

What do I expect for the US in the 2014 WC? I dunno, I have to say, I expect a Semi Final appearance (not necessarily a win). I know, it seems a little outrageous to say, but I won't be super happy if we only reach round of 16. We will always be in a "Group of Death," it's just the way things seem to go for us.

I admit I haven't paid much attention to Aron, so I'm excited to see what he brings to the table. Hopefully he comes in for the Bosnia friendly and we can see what he's made up of.

What do I expect for the US in the 2014 WC? I dunno, I have to say, I expect a Semi Final appearance (not necessarily a win). I know, it seems a little outrageous to say, but I won't be super happy if we only reach round of 16. We will always be in a "Group of Death," it's just the way things seem to go for us.

Really?

easy.jpg

NoRéN

I swear I think i just saw jamesinclair and verano at the market.

two guys were talking about the game and going on about how mexico didn't even bother to worry about the gold cup, how it's a joke, and how the US got lucky just like they get lucky all the time.

One was wearing a chivas jersey and they were buying bud light lime.

daoster

I'm confused here, are you saying that that group was easy? Because as "easy" as it was suppose to be, on the final day of the group stages, any two of the 4 teams could have qualified. That was a group of death in that sense.

NoRéN;73611988 said:

two guys were talking about the game and going on about how mexico didn't even bother to worry about the gold cup, how it's a joke, and how the US got lucky just like they get lucky all the time.

LOL! It's like they're self caricatures of the Mexican soccer fan!

Can't wait for another draw at the Azteca! Has Panama played Mexico in Azteca yet?

Clydefrog

NoRéN;73611988 said:

LOL

NoRéN;73611988 said:

That got me haha.

daoster

Taylor Twellman rumoring that Chepo is stepping down. Looks like we can add that to our trophy wall as well.

I thought I was seeing tweets earlier that the Mexican federation is keeping him?

And ouch for Holden... :( That's another year gone for him...

Uggh...what a black mark on yesterday's win.

EDIT:

This tweet is from Tom Marshall in regards to Chepo:

@ESPN_JorgeRamos talking to Andres Fassi, who confirms Chepo stays as Mexico coach by majority decision.

https://twitter.com/mexicoworldcup/status/361975149999828993

Nesotenso

Expected, but awful news for Stu. Best of luck to him with the recovery.
Nine months

Tough luck. Sad that he will most of the season and in all likelihood the WC next summer. At this point I just hope he remains healthy for the rest of this 30s and retires at his own time doing what he loves. What is his contract situation at Bolton ?
Maybe he can come back to Houston at some point.

I thought I was seeing tweets earlier that the Mexican federation is keeping him?

And ouch for Holden... :( That's another year gone for him...

Uggh...what a black mark on yesterday's win.

EDIT:

This tweet is from Tom Marshall in regards to Chepo:

https://twitter.com/mexicoworldcup/status/361975149999828993

What I had heard from somewhere was that Chepo was upset that they had the vote, and so he's threatening to step down unless he receives the requisite amount if ass kisses he needs to feel manly again.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What I had heard from somewhere was that Chepo was upset that they had the vote, and so he's threatening to step down unless he receives the requisite amount if ass kisses he needs to feel manly again.

Isn't he lucky he's still the coach though? I remember hearing things along the lines of Mexico planning to dump him if the lost the Gold Cup.

NoRéN

LOL! It's like they're self caricatures of the Mexican soccer fan!

Can't wait for another draw at the Azteca! Has Panama played Mexico in Azteca yet?

Seriously!

I believe Panam and Honduras are the ones with trips to Azteca left.

At this rate it's going to be embarrassing for the one, if any, that can't leave there with a cleansheet, or at least a point.

CobbFC09

Got the text earlier about Holden and gosh that sucks. Really amazing to see how upbeat he remains after all he's gone through though.

NoRéN;73642753 said:
Seriously!

I believe Panam and Honduras are the ones with trips to Azteca left.

At this rate it's going to be embarrassing for the one, if any, that can't leave there with a cleansheet, or at least a point.

Don't think Honduras has a chance down there but Panama for sure. They have some size and strength on their side.

NoRéN

Don't think Honduras has a chance down there but Panama for sure. They have some size and strength on their side.
Good point. Plus, they know they have beat them once this year.

Still, those games are must wins for Mexico. Bad enough to have no wins at home but to not have scored is just embarrassing for them.

not bad choices, if there was a way I would love to see Corona, Boyd and Shea in there just for the experience of being in a WC but that list looks solid and you can only have 23.

Same here. Shea won me over with this performances against Mexico and just his pace/size/willingness to take people on in general. He absolutely sucked against Cuba but I chalk that up to just a bad day.

Iceland is not happy with Aron Jóhannsson's choice to play for the USMNT.

Translation is rough, but that's a pretty stern press release: http://www.ksi.is/landslid/nr/11127

So what's the story on this kid. Is he good? Haven't really heard much about him. Inform me.

Nesotenso

Iceland is not happy with Aron Jóhannsson's choice to play for the USMNT.

Translation is rough, but that's a pretty stern press release: http://www.ksi.is/landslid/nr/11127

if he never selected the States, it would be fine with me. I know he is a citizen by place of birth but he doesn't have the ties the other dual nationals have had so far.

Could be a choice based on who has the chance to make to a WC more and give him playing time. Good luck to him wherever he ends up.

daoster

Same here. Shea won me over with this performances against Mexico and just his pace/size/willingness to take people on in general. He absolutely sucked against Cuba but I chalk that up to just a bad day.

So what's the story on this kid. Is he good? Haven't really heard much about him. Inform me.

Dunno much about Aron specifically, but he plays for AZ in the Netherlands, and Earnie Stewart thinks highly of him. He's expected to take over the scoring mantle now that Jozy has left AZ.

Johannsson is an up and coming player with some potential, but it remains to be seen if he can deliver on that in a big league or on the international stage. He's a good pickup for us. We'll have to wait and see what he's capable of with the nats. Here's a highlight vid from last year.

Regarding Sciaretta's 23 picks, I think he overvalues Johannsson and Brooks since we haven't seen much from them yet, so it feels premature to include them. My other concern is the lack of true wide players. Not a bad idea to get a winger or two in there. Though Shea frustrates me, it's hard to argue with results.

Also, here's the tactical breakdown of the Gold Cup Final from American Soccer now if you want to geek out on tactics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom