• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

was guessing Yedlin or Villareal would be called in instead of Cropper. Maybe January camp then. RB situation is still dismal.

Not sure if the requirement exists for friendlies, but typically you have to have 3 GKs active in an international match.

Aron has 3 goals in 5 games thus far for AZ -- the Eredivisie is known for its high scoring, but that's a fantastic start for a new player. Really excited about his future prospects -- definitely in the mix right away for a starting berth (bench at a minimum) even at the WC IMO.

I'd be surprised if Dzeko doesn't score at least 2. He has been a terror for the BiH team over the past year or so.

USSoccer said:
From #USMNT camp: Michael Orozco Fiscal withdrew from the roster after suffering a hamstring injury Sunday night. No replacement added.
So Cameron-Brooks or Cameron-Ream as the CB pairing. I suppose Parkhurst could play there, too.

That's too bad. I think if he'd stayed in the US for another year or two we'd have had a shot but I expected since Arsenal plucked him away we probably had lost our chance. Just another reason to hate them. ;)
*shakes fist*

Cornballer, do you have a twitter feed where you provide these sorts of updates? They're great but sometimes I need my US soccer love on my twitter feed.

Cornballer, do you have a twitter feed where you provide these sorts of updates? They're great but sometimes I need my US soccer love on my twitter feed.
I'm on Twitter, but I don't tweet a lot. It's more of a way to stay in touch with a variety of friends.

If you want a list of relevant US Soccer and journalist accounts to follow, I'm happy to make some recommendations.

I'm on Twitter, but I don't tweet a lot. It's more of a way to stay in touch with a variety of friends.

If you want a list of relevant US Soccer and journalist accounts to follow, I'm happy to make some recommendations.

Yeah I follow Grant Whal, US Soccer, MLS...anyone else I need to take a look at?

Nesotenso

Roger Bennett (@rogbennett) & Men in Blazers (@MenInBlazers)! (Don't forget to subscribe to the MiB podcast too).

Ives Galarcep (@SoccerByIves)

Steven Goff @SoccerInsider, writes for the Washington Post

Jeff Carlisle @JeffreyCarlisle, espn

Brian Strauss @BrianStraus, SI, he was the guy who broke the Sporting News story about players having issues with Klinsmann.

Between Nesotenso and daoster, that should pretty much cover it.

I'd add @BrianSciaretta for tons of Yanks Abroad coverage but that's about it.

Nesotenso

Between Nesotenso and daoster, that should pretty much cover it.

I'd add @BrianSciaretta for tons of Yanks Abroad coverage but that's about it.

also the big soccer forums. great news source. Lots of nations have their own forums so you can easily learn about opposing teams, different leagues, clubs etc.

Big Soccer reminds me a lot of gaming side in that there's a ton of good information and some good posters there, but you have to wade through a lot of crap to get to it.

Long Deadspin article on Bradley:

- America's Most Important Soccer Player Conquers The Old World
vvbufhc.gif

Nesotenso

want Bradley to do well at Roma but that midfield is stacked with Pjanic, Strootman, DDR and him. Interestingly DDR didn't seem to start preseason games. Wonder if he is hurt.

but yeah competition will be high for playing time at Roma for Bradley and he has to be consistent.

want Bradley to do well at Roma but that midfield is stacked with Pjanic, Strootman, DDR and him. Interestingly DDR didn't seem to start preseason games. Wonder if he is hurt.

but yeah competition will be high for playing time at Roma for Bradley and he has to be consistent.
Bradley will find a way. He usually does.
man RB options look bleak. could end up with Evans at the WC.
Chandler needs to get his shit together, and Cherundolo needs to get healthy. I'll feel a lot better when one or hopefully both of those happen.

daoster

Jurgen Klinsmann demands more, wants Clint Dempsey to know it

Yesterday, Dempsey told me he had not consulted Klinsmann before making his decision, but I asked the German what he would have said, had his captain asked for an opinion. "I would have told him it is his personal decision and he has to do what is right for him," he began. "Every time you make a decision in life you make it based on what you see today so you don't see the future, so we all hope that by going back to MLS his own level is not dropping because he is going from the Premier League, one of the best in the world, into a league which is trying to improve every year. It is improving, but it is not the same level and he knows that.

gutshot

I'm surprised by how bitter both of the Bradleys seem to be over Bob's sacking. I mean, he had been manager for 5 years, it's not like they dropped him after 6 months. Clearly, it was time to move on.

Nice article. Serie A is the only league I am really passionate about so I get to see Bradley a lot. He is an absolute stud for Roma, and he was great with Chievo. If his name was Bradinho he would have way more hype--as the article notes, he was often performing better than DDR, who is on a huge salary and is linked with Man City, Madrid every transfer window. I can't believe Roma got Bradley for such a miniscule transfer fee, that was really well done.

I'm surprised by how bitter both of the Bradleys seem to be over Bob's sacking. I mean, he had been manager for 5 years, it's not like they dropped him after 6 months. Clearly, it was time to move on.
I'm not too surprised given their temperament and quotes from them in the past. Given that having a chip on their respective shoulders is what has driven both of them to a lot of success thus far, I don't mind so much. I hope they do find peace with it someday and mellow out, but having a pissed off Michael Bradley busting his ass in training every day to prove the world wrong is working out fine for my selfish, USMNT-centric needs.

WIll be curious to see this guy in action. Is he someone that could find a WC spot? Would be crazy to bring someone on this late but there is a precedent for this right? Wasn't O'Brien like this where he wasn't really present in WCQ but nabbed a WC roster spot?

Meier

WIll be curious to see this guy in action. Is he someone that could find a WC spot? Would be crazy to bring someone on this late but there is a precedent for this right? Wasn't O'Brien like this where he wasn't really present in WCQ but nabbed a WC roster spot?
He's certainly in the conversation. If not this one, he's got a great chance at WC 2018 (provided we make it). I expect he'll continue to play at a very high level for AZ this season.

gutshot

Not sure about O'Brien, but David Regis became a US citizen literally months before the 1998 World Cup and started all three games for us at left back.

Not sure about O'Brien, but David Regis became a US citizen literally months before the 1998 World Cup and started all three games for us at left back.

Wasn't necessarily speaking about citizenship but mainly a US player currently playing overseas that grabs a late WC spot. My memory might be fuzzy on this one but I don't remember O'Brien in many WCQ matches. But didn't remember that about Regis, cool.

gutshot

Wasn't necessarily speaking about citizenship but mainly a US player currently playing overseas that grabs a late WC spot. My memory might be fuzzy on this one but I don't remember O'Brien in many WCQ matches. But didn't remember that about Regis, cool.

O'Brien had 5 caps in 2000, 5 in 2001 and 9 in 2002. I don't know exactly which games he was capped in, but I'm guessing at least a few of those were WCQ. He was a pretty prominent player in US Soccer during those years, I remember he was on the 2000 Olympic squad too, which was one of my favorite US teams ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom