• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
*thumbs up*

The Bennett article has some good quotes from Conrad regarding the thin margins in the World Cup and our rush to crown the next big thing in US Soccer.

I think Lalas's last quote was pretty telling. I mean every other country goes into the world cup thinking this might just be their year to win it all and we go in thinking "Hey, you know what would be great? If we make it to the knockout stages". I mean look at England, they haven't won in god knows how long and yet they manage to go into the cup thinking "hey, this is our year!"

Askani

Here's a real translated version of the Iceland statement for easier reading:

KSÍ said:
Statement from KSÍ – Aron Jóhannsson should play for Iceland
Statement from KSÍ regarding Aron Jóhannsson

Aron Jóhannsson is an Icelander born in the USA in 1990 where he lived in the first years of his life. Aron’s parents are Icelandic. Aron got his soccer education under the KSÍ umbrella, with Fjölnir, where he played all the junior years (with a short stay with Breiðablik) and then played for their full team, before joining AGF in Denmark on September 1st 2010.

Aron Jóhannsson played 10 international matches for Iceland U21 in 2011 and 2012. Of these 10 games 8 of them were in UEFA competitions and Aron was a starter in each of them.

FIFA allows players to changes national sides once if they fulfill certain criteria, even if they have played with junior national sides, as long as they have not played an official A team match. One of the conditions allows players to switch to a country they were born in if they wish to represent it.

Aron has for the past year been unable to answer a call-up to the Iceland National Team from the national coach due to injuries. During that same time, news filtered through that the US Men National Team coach was interested in the player. Aron has no link to soccer in the USA at all.

Yesterday a statement from Aron was published where he expressed his desire to play for the USMNT. The only thing that has been pointed out to KSÍ from an interested party, is that his income potential, as a USA player, is much greater, both in the form of grants and sponsorship, than if he were an Iceland player. It is simply so that an Iceland National team member must play for land and country and for that they get honor and glory.

It is the utmost wish of KSÍ that Aron turns back on his ideas to change national teams. Aron is an Icelander through and through who we need in the tough international competitions. Aron has already played 10 U21 matches for Iceland and his future belongs there. Hopefully the public and media will respond and challenge Aron to continue competing for Iceland. KSÍ has already requested for Aron to participate in the next national team match vs. the Faroe Islands on August 14th.

There is no logic behind Aron relinquishing his Icelandic soccer identity.

Iceland Football Association

Strax

pacspit.gif
@ Aron for picking USA.
This is a new low for US football, stealing Iceland's 4th best striker
snoop.png

I completely understand why they're angry about it, but sending out that press release is a bad idea - particularly the bit about inciting the public and media to 'challenge Aron.' As far as I know, Gulati's comments on Subotic leaving consisted of: "We wish Neven all the best and success in the future."

daoster

US Soccer twitter has just tweeted that he has just submitted the paperwork.

Also, greater income potential? You get that much money playing for your national team?

NoRéN

man they are dropping like flies. crucial to last season before the WC is that everyone comes out unscathed.
Rotten luck, man.

So, I had asked a while back and I guess with the events on Sunday it's a good time to ask again?

How do you all feel about Holden's chances for brazil?

gutshot

NoRéN;73929903 said:
Rotten luck, man.

So, I had asked a while back and I guess with the events on Sunday it's a good time to ask again?

How do you all feel about Holden's chances for brazil?

He won't make the team. ACL tears require like a 9 month recovery period. There's just no way he will be match fit in time for Brazil.

Supposedly Shea's knee injury is less serious, but he is still supposed to miss the beginning of the EPL season. For a guy who struggled to get on the field last season, that isn't ideal.

NoRéN

He won't make the team. ACL tears require like a 9 month recovery period. There's just no way he will be match fit in time for Brazil.

Supposedly Shea's knee injury is less serious, but he is still supposed to miss the beginning of the EPL season. For a guy who struggled to get on the field last season, that isn't ideal.

fuck.

ZZMitch

I want to buy a US soccer jacket but I don't want to buy one with an outdated crest! I suppose I will have to wait and see what the new one looks like, if it is changed.

gutshot

On the petition site:

Nice. Make it happen, Sunil!

I want to buy a US soccer jacket but I don't want to buy one with an outdated crest! I suppose I will have to wait and see what the new one looks like, if it is changed.

Just buy this one: http://www.ussoccerstore.com/us00m242513ba.html

They will either change their crest to this one and you will be good to go. Or they won't and you will still have the swaggest looking US Soccer jacket money can buy.

ZZMitch

Nice. Make it happen, Sunil!

Just buy this one: http://www.ussoccerstore.com/us00m242513ba.html

They will either change their crest to this one and you will be good to go. Or they won't and you will still have the swaggest looking US Soccer jacket money can buy.

Yeah I was looking at that one, but was also interested in this one here. Old crest and stuff, but noticeably cheaper. A bit lighter than the one you linked I think.

http://www.ussoccerstore.com/us00m223812ba.html

Hmm. This one is only availably in X-large or above though, might wait it out anyway!

daoster

So...is Stoke looking to take over the mantle of America's team after Fulham? There hasn't been a team with a lot of American players since Fulham USA days...

Cause they're looking at Omar Gonzales...but...if I were Omar, I'd look for a better team. Mark Hughes...fuck him!

Slizz

xcQqIdg.jpg

Christen Press scored 8 goals in a game today for her Swedish club team. 4 more than Marta scored.

USWNT continues to have a stacked front of attackers.

Nesotenso

So...is Stoke looking to take over the mantle of America's team after Fulham? There hasn't been a team with a lot of American players since Fulham USA days...

Cause they're looking at Omar Gonzales...but...if I were Omar, I'd look for a better team. Mark Hughes...fuck him!

Stokes likes their defenders 6'4 and taller

gutshot

Omar too? There were reports that they were also looking at Juan Agudelo. If all that happens, they really will be America's EPL team.

On a related note, glad to here Shea's injury isn't too serious. Hopefully this doesn't bury him down the depth chart though. I think it was a good sign that the manager was so upset over the tackle, means he likely was counting on Shea to play some significant minutes.

CobbFC09

On the petition site:
Saw that when I went to go sign it and wondered what the date of that was. It seems like this petition just went up recently, so I'm guessing that comment was recent as well. I honestly didn't know they were even considering it. Just figured it was to be used for 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom