• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZMitch

The only way this amazing story can end is New Zealand parks the bus in Azteca and comes out with a 0-0 draw and then beats Mexico 1-0 in Wellington in stoppage time.

It must be this way.

Mindlog

Johannsson: When we got to 2-2 we knew Panama would throw everything forward. When I scored I felt a little bit sorry but it was also awesome.

I'm laughing again. That's a pretty widespread sentiment.
The US is celebrating a great game even if it gives life to a bitter rival. Or maybe we're relishing that too.
Mexico is happy, but angry that their team has no heart.

Panama is just sad though.

H8div2f.jpg

Time to watch some Football PIcante. Heard it was a good episode.

CobbFC09

Surely MLS sent someone?
Apparently Andrew Wiebe (@andrew_wiebe), a media editor from MLSsoccer.com was there based on Rodger Bennett's tweet to him. Andrew also mentioned going to Panama over the weekend.
roger bennett ‏@rogbennett 7h
@andrew_wiebe Honored to have shared it with you. Really.
Andrew Wiebe ‏@andrew_wiebe 12 Oct
Touch down at La Guardia. Twelve hours before I'm back again and on the way to Panama. #lifeontheroad

gutshot

Just waking up to the results from last night and my reaction......

HAHAHAHAHAHHhahahahahahhahahahhah!

Hahahhahahahahhhhahaaaaa!

Haha!

I feel bad for Panama though.

Is there any doubt who is the best team in CONCACAF? The US owns this region right now.

daoster

All New Zealand has to do is score on a set piece at home. Then they do what they do well: Park the bus at Azteca. Park it and put the emergency breaks on and hold steady.

Then it will be a meltdown all over.

Incredible. lol

http://youtu.be/oz1XhaBT45I

"We love you! We love you forever and ever!" God bless America!"

This is the translation of the (since taken down) video, according to somebody @ Deadspin:

"GOOOOAAAAAAL The US of A PUTS us in the playoffs!!!!!" USA!
"It is because of the USA that we are being placed in the playoff ...BECAUSE OF THEM , NOT DUE TO YOU..NOT ANY OF YOU in the green shirts ....IT WAS THEM!!.NOT YOU!..THEY DID IT!!!!!NOT YOU! remember this forever..... KEEP THIS CLEARLY IN MIND FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVES! You do NOTHING for the shirt, you do NOT put the effort, you have NOTplaced us in the playoffs , you HAVE NOT placed us in the WORLD CUP ..YOU WOULD NOT HAVE KEPT US ALIVE....IT WAS ESTADOS UNIDOS, NOT YOU.! .NOT YOU AND YOUR ARROGANCE/CONCEIT.....NOT YOU AND YOUR INFAMY....NOT YOU AND YOUR MORONS/PUNKS....
"IT IS A FAILURE.....and UNDESERVED -to go through to the playoff- WE HAD NO ARGUMENTS to earn the playoffs, THE USA, WITH SUBS , WITH MANY SUBS as the visiting team shows us once again what the USA is all about ....how to play the game with dignity, how to approach the sport..MExico is a horror, just terrible....A FAILURE....
THE USA HAS SURPASSED US ..They are better than Mexico in SOCCER ....THEY EVEN HAVE THE LUXURY OF PLAYING THEIR SUBS and KEEPING US LIVE.... I hope our coach wears the pants and resigns..He has failed as coach...."

If anybody knows where I can find the video, since Youtube took it down, I'd appreciate it very much.

Clydefrog

IF Mexico qualifies for the world cup, they have to have the worst qualification record of the 32 teams, right??

-2 goal differential. holy moly

I am not sure why everyone is talking about the Mexico/New Zealand playoff as if things as so much in Mexico's favor. Has no one been watching the way Mexico's been playing? I think New Zealand has a pretty legit shot.

Clydefrog

at this point, I think New Zealand would have rather played Mexico than Panama. momentum is definitely in New Zealand's favor but you cannot deny the talent that Mexico has. if they click, it's lights out for New Zealand. easily.

at this point, I think New Zealand would have rather played Mexico than Panama. momentum is definitely in New Zealand's favor but you cannot deny the talent that Mexico has. if they click, it's lights out for New Zealand. easily.

Sure, but when was the last time they clicked? Last year's Gold Cup final?

Odds and ends from Grant Wahl:

- Bob Bradley’s buy-out clause spares him sacking from Egypt; more soccer news
Bob Bradley’s Egypt got smacked 6-1 by Ghana in their first World Cup playoff game Tuesday, and there were reports from Egypt that Bradley had been fired afterward. But Bradley himself told me late Tuesday that was not the case. Bradley said at the moment he’s still the coach, and if it’s up to him he will stand with the team for the second leg in Egypt next month. Bradley also added, though, that it’s not his call whether he sticks around. That will be the decision of the Egyptian soccer federation. The Egyptian FA head told the BBC today that Bradley’s buy-out clause means he will be staying for the second leg.

U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann will be a busy man at the World Cup draw in Brazil in early December. Klinsmann tells me he already has plans to speak to several other World Cup coaches that weekend and firm up some pre-World Cup friendlies for next year, especially in May and early June. The reason for waiting until the World Cup draw? Klinsmann says teams want to see who their World Cup group stage opponents will be before they schedule friendlies, the better to find foes that will best approximate those countries’ styles of play.
A couple more tidbits via the link.

daoster

Sure, but when was the last time they clicked? Last year's Gold Cup final?

Olympic gold...?

The problem with New Zealand is that they don't play enough competitive games. Though, if New Zealand can survive Azteca...I think they have a good chance of snapping one in New Zealand.

Anyways, November should be super exciting!

daoster

So, I know we're all still high on the embarrassment that is Mexico and the bittersweet victory over Panama yesterday, I want to think about our possible draw in December, and it's looking mighty tough.

With Italy and Netherlands (assuming Uruguay get through), and France not being seeded... It means that there is a very strong possibility that we'll be in for another group of death.

Code:
Brazil
Spain
Argentina
Germany
Belgium
Switzerland
Colombia
Uruguay

Those are the seeded teams, and all are very tough teams.

Unless the Footballing gods smile down on us and reward us Switzerland and England.

xbhaskarx

In order of preferance, imo:

1. Switzerland, duh
2. Uruguay, not that deep, certainly beatable
3. Argentina, we have done well against them in the past
4. Colombia, 1994 -> 2014 hopefully without any murders this time
5. oh god please not the others

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So, I know we're all still high on the embarrassment that is Mexico and the bittersweet victory over Panama yesterday, I want to think about our possible draw in December, and it's looking mighty tough.

With Italy and Netherlands (assuming Uruguay get through), and France not being seeded... It means that there is a very strong possibility that we'll be in for another group of death.

Code:
Brazil
Spain
Argentina
Germany
Belgium
Switzerland
Colombia
Uruguay

Unless the Footballing gods smile down on us and reward us Switzerland and England.

Yea, I'm trying not to think about the odds of us getting a group of death. That said I think we could give Italy and France a good fight.

1. Switzerland, duh

We should be so lucky to get any of those.

Code:
Brazil
Spain
Argentina
Germany
Belgium
Switzerland
Colombia
Uruguay

Switizerland and England would be glorious.

We'll end up with Spain and France

Whichever group the US ends up in has a good chance of being the Group of Death because we're in it. No one wants to pull the US out of the third pot (or however they're setting those up this year.)

It'd be difficult if we ended up with something really tough like Brazil & Holland, but that's not very likely to happen. I imagine we'll probably be an underdog in one game, evenly matched in another, and favorites in the third. Like usual, I'd be happy as long as we have a fighting chance to get into the knockout rounds.

daoster

1. Switzerland, duh

I dunno man, I don't think I want to face any of the South American teams in the first World Cup on that continent since forever. Switzerland is the only country I feel comfortable about in the seeded list.

Switizerland and England would be glorious.

We'll end up with Spain and France

Spain, France, and Ghana, with our luck.

On a separate note, if we DON'T have Ghana in our group, and if there's no possibility of us meeting in the Round of 16...definitely want to play them in a friendly next year.

xbhaskarx

- World Cup Group Stage Draw simulator

Sobering to see the results. It's easy to qualify out of CONCACAF, but then you rarely get a cakewalk in the Group Stage.

I tried this over 20 times trying to get a group that I think the US had a reasonable chance of winning (since that means a better matchup in the next round) like they did in 2010.... I didn't get a single scenario where that was the case.

This was the closest I came, until Netherlands (how are they not Pot 1??) came down at the end...
Ks36Lf3.png

Of course, this looks worse than what the reality may be, because they have all the bigger teams qualifying. Let's hope for some upsets...

gutshot

The fact of the matter is to become a legit footballing nation, we need to be able to advance out of ANY group we find ourselves in, not just have to hope for a favorable draw.

Grant Wahl:
If they end up in same WC draw pot, all the CONCACAF teams (13-34) will be ranked higher than all the Asian teams (44-57).

Also, some reports circulating this morning that Brek Shea is going to be loaned out to a Championship Club sometime soon to get some playing time.

I'm surprised they're scheduling that match so early. Usually teams hold off until the draw so they know what kind of teams to warm up against.

I'm surprised they're scheduling that match so early. Usually teams hold off until the draw so they know what kind of teams to warm up against.

The FA (England) wants to get all of their preparation scheduled early (by the end of this week)

They also scheduled a friendly against Germany yesterday.

The FA (England) wants to get all of their preparation scheduled early (by the end of this week)

They also scheduled a friendly against Germany yesterday.
Interesting. There were a few quotes from Klinsmann on Tuesday explaining that they were going to try and work out most of the US friendlies for next year right after the draw in December.

USA will most likely be in the group of death, since they are far and away the best team in pot B.

But I'll take Switzerland, Algeria and Bosnia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom