• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

I agree.

And moving to a team that barely avoided relegation last season with an unproven coach with a history erratic behavior! What was Jozy and his agent thinking??
"It's the English top flight! There's nothing better!"

Seriously, what a stupid move and the worst possible time.

Before the World Cup! And he's our leading striker, who we need to be in a hot streak heading into the World Cup. And our other leading scorer hasn't had consistent playing time and hasn't even scored yet either =\

Hopefully, things look up for Jozy's season.
His best bet now is holding out until January and going on loan. At the rate things are going, Suderland will continue to be at the bottom. Come March they'll be in the battle to avoid relegation, they'll start using Jozy even though it's too late and when one person can't somehow turn results around, the press will blame him. He doesn't need that shit.

Meanwhile, AZ is like Jozy who?

Johannsson has two goals and an assist this morning for AZ. Aron's on fire right now.

EDIT: Video of the 2nd goal

Kyle McCarthy ‏@kylejmccarthy 14m
New England forward Diego Fagundez confirms he plans to pursue U.S. citizenship after obtaining permanent residency status this week. #mls

Kyle McCarthy ‏@kylejmccarthy 10m
Diego Fagundez on international future: "I do have options. I would like to play for the U.S., but, of course, there are doors open."

Kyle McCarthy ‏@kylejmccarthy 7m
Fagundez also noted he hasn't had any discussions about NT future and said he wanted to focus on #NERevs, playoff chase.

fuck yeah.

That's great news. Can't we find a nice American girl in the greater-Boston area and get him hitched to expedite the process? :p

I think he has to wait 5 years to apply for a citizenship after getting his green card, regardless of how he got his green card. Marrying an american girl would have given him a green card, which he doesn't need. Maybe the USMNT can expedite the process? Not sure, IIRC the US signed some chinese player and gave him a US citizenship in order to play ping pong for the US some years back.

I think he has to wait 5 years to apply for a citizenship after getting his green card, regardless of how he got his green card. Marrying an american girl would have given him a green card, which he doesn't need. Maybe the USMNT can expedite the process? Not sure, IIRC the US signed some chinese player and gave him a US citizenship in order to play ping pong for the US some years back.
I forget what the exact rules are, but if he gets married ASAP, he can cut that 5 years to ~3 years. I don't think the US does many quickie naturalizations any more for sporting reasons - at least I haven't heard of many recent cases.

xbhaskarx

I have been on the Fagundez bandwagon since seeing him as a 16 year old rookie, and he's a big reason why the Revolution went from being crap to one of the most fun teams to watch.

We have plenty of promising young players already, but I have a feeling a big part of whether or not we can take the step up to the next level will be determined by how many guys play for us out of Diego Fagundez, Gideon Zelalem, and Julian Green.
Unfortunately two out of three aren't even US citizens yet...

hom3land

It never sat right with me that fagundez can't join the USMNT when he's an average American teen but Johansson (Who I Love!!) can because he was born here bit has no there attachment.

Nesotenso

Kyle McCarthy ‏@kylejmccarthy 14m
New England forward Diego Fagundez confirms he plans to pursue U.S. citizenship after obtaining permanent residency status this week. #mls

Kyle McCarthy ‏@kylejmccarthy 10m
Diego Fagundez on international future: "I do have options. I would like to play for the U.S., but, of course, there are doors open."

Kyle McCarthy ‏@kylejmccarthy 7m
Fagundez also noted he hasn't had any discussions about NT future and said he wanted to focus on #NERevs, playoff chase.

fuck yeah.

yeah, he has to stay in the US for about 5 years. If he continues his ascent and Uruguay have the need for young forwards he is gone. Let's hope Uruguay has more Cavanis and Suarezs in their pipeline.

I think marrying a citizen cuts it down to three.

It never sat right with me that fagundez can't join the USMNT when he's an average American teen but Johansson (Who I Love!!) can because he was born here bit has no there attachment.

citizenship process and immigration as a whole needs changes.

xbhaskarx

@JoshDeaver
Julian Green now has 13 goals in 13 games for Bayern II and is currently the 3rd leading scorer in the 90-team German Regionalliga.

JGreen,MPA Candidate ‏@jgreenSTPA
Hi Stacie~yeah, the world cup is always a possibility for Julian. But yes he's concentrating on FCBayern. But he will play some with USMNT!

Not sure what the tweet from his dad means, in order to play for the US he'd have to file his one time switch and be cap tied...

Johnannsson with another goal today in the Europa league. AZ tied at 1-1 with Shakhter Karagandy at HT.

Also, Opta posted this earlier today:
@AZAlkmaar's @aronjo20 is 2nd in #Eredivisie 2013-14 (min. 4 goals) w/ a 38.9% shot conversion rate. Graphic.

eyNHsag.png

daoster

Not super relevant to USMNT, because I don't know how much more involved he'll be in the USMNT in the future, but Gooch has signed on to QPR. Hope he finds success there!

Not super relevant to USMNT, because I don't know how much more involved he'll be in the USMNT in the future, but Gooch has signed on to QPR. Hope he finds success there!
I hope he's healthy for a few years to finish off his career. He's had so many injury problems.
think that it is wrong. Gudmundsson scored it. Aron had a great chance to win it though and missed.
Ah, that's too bad. That was posted on the US Soccer twitter account earlier.

Some further information/speculation over on Galarcep's site:
If the latest report is true, U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann isn’t yet finished looking for the best dual-national talent in Germany.

According to a report in German publication BILD, Klinsmann plans to call in 18-year-old Bayern Munich midfielder Julian Green for the USMNT friendly matches on November 15 against Scotland and November 19 against Austria.

Though he’s lived in Germany since he was two, Green was born in Tampa Bay, Florida to an American serviceman and a German mother and carries both nation’s passports. U.S. Soccer has yet to officially comment on the report.

Despite his young age, Green has been playing with the Bayern Munich reserve team this season and has scored an impressive 13 goals in 14 games for the Regionalliga side, the third division of soccer in Germany. The report states that Green, who is currently in the Germany youth setup and was with the Under-19s during the October FIFA dates, has yet to make a decision if he will accept the invitation or not.

If the report is true, Green would join a number of other German-Americans on the USMNT roster such as Jermaine Jones, Terrence Boyd, Fabian Johnson, and John Brooks. The report doesn’t state whether Green would play in the matches or just come to train with the team and give the U.S. coaching staff an opportunity to watch him and speak with him in person.

- Greg Seltzer with a few early thoughts on Julian Green
According to Bild (take cautiously), Bayern Munich II wing sensation Julian Green has accepted a USMNT call-up for the upcoming November friendlies. The Tampa-born teenager has appeared in youth internationals for both of his countries, most recently with the Germany Under-19's - but has yet to be cap-tied. The article asserts Klinsi has "stolen" the hot prospect, but doesn't actually report this will be his final choice.

Thanks for the heads-up I'll try to get to the bottom of this tomorrow. Of course, it's the busy day before the senior team plays its Bundesliga game, so we'll see. And in case you're still trying to figure out who the fuss is all about, here's some of his preseason exploits from the summer...
A short vid with a couple goals he scored over the Summer.

Whuck?
Arlo White said:
Harry Redknapp says Jurgen Klinsmann called him about Onyewu, adding "almost certainly going to be in his squad for the World Cup" #USMNT

Also, US assistant Herzog is watching Chandler and Boyd this weekend.

Jeff Carlisle said:
US Soccer confirms that Julian Green has been called in to train w/#usmnt,but can't play vs. Scotland or Austria since he's tied to Germany.

I'm told that US Soccer would have to file one-time switch on Julian Green's behalf. That process hasn't started yet. #usmnt

xbhaskarx

USMNT: Bayern Munich forward prospect Julian Green accepts call-up for Scotland, Austria friendlies

United States national team boss Jurgen Klinsmann has confirmed that Bayern Munich II wing sensation Julian Green has accepted a call-up to November's European camp.

As reported by German tabloid Bild, the 18-year-old Tampa native will be with the team as they prepare for friendlies against Scotland and Austria. Green recently made his competitive debut for Germany's Under-19 national team, meaning he cannot play in either match and will require a FIFA allegiance switch to do so in the future.

"Julian Green is a tremendous talent," said Klinsmann in a statement provided by U.S. Soccer. "We have been scouting him for more than two years, and we are thrilled to bring him into our camp and introduce him to the senior team program. We believe we could help him grow into a special player."

Green, who scored in his lone friendly appearance for the US U-18s last September, was also on Tab Ramos' provisional roster for this past summer's FIFA U-20 World Cup.

The youngster made quite an impression on Bayern head coach Pep Guardiola this preseason, hitting consecutive hat tricks in their first two warm-up matches against German mites. He currently has 13 goals, good for second on the Regionalliga Bayern scoring chart, for his fourth-division reserve side.

it's happening

First Fagundez, now Green...
We have plenty of promising young players already, but I have a feeling a big part of whether or not we can take the step up to the next level will be determined by how many guys play for us out of Diego Fagundez, Gideon Zelalem, and Julian Green.
Unfortunately two out of three aren't even US citizens yet...

Maybe tomorrow we'll find out that the Zelalem family got their citizenship.

Unfortunately, Zelalem is going to be a tough sell unless the German program snubs him for some reason and the citizenship process for the US is expedited.

Nesotenso

Bradley on as a late sub for Roma and almost immediately scores a go-ahead goal.
saw that. great layoff from Strootman and a great goal from Bradley. Udinese were pushing men up front because Roma were down to 10 men courtesy of a stupid challenge from Maicon. Roma win their first nine games and I think the first team to win at Udinese in a very long time

methodman

Banned
Jozy was named man of the match by the announcers. I saw the whole thing, dude was a beast. There was a foul he took right outside the box and Fletcher took the free kick, wish jozy demanded it. Either way, he looks totally back in form and it's great to see.

Nesotenso

Jozy was named man of the match by the announcers. I saw the whole thing, dude was a beast. There was a foul he took right outside the box and Fletcher took the free kick, wish jozy demanded it. Either way, he looks totally back in form and it's great to see.

He played well with Fletcher up front but the dude needs a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom