• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlagev

Clydefrog said:
and those games weren't against "world-class" teams either....

1950 Chile
1990 Austria
1994 Romania*
1998 Yugoslavia
2002 Poland*
2006 Ghana

* we moved on to the round of 16 despite the loss.

Also, in '94, it was when the 4 best 3rd-place teams advanced.

Time to break the streak!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Antimatter said:
:lol

That's why I love Rex Ryan, dude is a breath of fresh air. In that last game against Slovenia I was kinda thinking that Bob Bradley reminded me of a bald Dick Jauron. :(

Bob Bradley has to be related to Herb Sendek.

daoster

Okay, okay, I can see that the one fact from the BBC has given everybody some more jitters! :lol :lol

But let's all calm down, and enjoy Tim Howard's diary!

Tim Howard said:
We’re here, bunkered in, we enjoy our meals and enjoy our training, and to a certain extent, for better of worse, we’re a lot more focused. There’s not a lot of external things going on. There’s a lot fewer distractions. The guys are playing FIFA, a few of the boys are out and fishing in the lake, there are poker games, we’re watching a lot of the games. Our schedule is pretty straightforward. It’s broken up pretty well because we’ve got a workout session in the morning, then lunch, then we rest. After that we’ve got training in the afternoon. There’s downtime, but there’s enough to keep us active.

Wait a minute...isn't this similar to the England Camp? The type of camp that John Terry and Wayne Rooney complained about being bored at?

Oh no...</sarcasm>

East Lake

Yeah I was going to say don't worry about things like "facts".
Seriously.
:D

The ESPN stat whores have really disappointed me too, they need to get some more American announcers in there so they can kill any redeemable quality of the commentary.

Get'sMad

eznark said:
Does the US need to win to advance tomorrow?

I think it's

Win (no matter the score) = we're in
Draw + England loss = we're in
Draw + England draw and England score less than 2 goals = we're in
Draw + England draw and if both are tied in GD and GS I believe it's a coin flip

eznark

Banned
someone scoring more than 2 goals? lulz0rz

10 am est right? I can watch a "deciding" game of just about any sport and be entertained. Have they taken care of the horns yet?

cashman

Banned
So pumped for the game tomorrow!

eznark said:
someone scoring more than 2 goals? lulz0rz

10 am est right? I can watch a "deciding" game of just about any sport and be entertained. Have they taken care of the horns yet?
They probably won't be as loud.

Clydefrog said:
I'm listening to the world cup songs... really puts you in the mood. CAN'T WAIT

Over there, over there!
Send the word, send the word, over there!
That the Yanks are coming, the Yanks are coming,
The drums rum-tumming ev'rywhere!
So prepare, say a prayer, send the word, send the word to beware!
We'll be over, we're coming over,
And we won't come back 'til it's over
Over There!

:D

Daigoro

GoldenEye 007 said:
I don't think GAF would recover.

yeah. half of us could be dead. :lol

Dresden said:
Guys, don't F5 too hard or we'll destroy GAF for hours on end tomorrow.

people need to step away from the fucking pc for a minute and breathe. there are more important things going on in life. namely World Cup SA 2010! :D

as soon as i leave work in the AM gaf will be a distant memory and the pc will be off. catch you mofos on the flip side.

lets go YANKS!

NoRéN

Daigoro said:

people need to step away from the fucking pc for a minute and breathe. there are more important things going on in life. namely World Cup SA 2010! :D

as soon as i leave work in the AM gaf will be a distant memory and the pc will be off. catch you mofos on the flip side.

lets go YANKS!
less than 9 hours left...

Daigoro

ps. today is DAY 13!

im very comfortable with that.

Clydefrog said:
I'm nervous.

How do you think Algeria will play? 10 players behind the ball most of the game? I know they need to win to have any chance of advancing, but I doubt they'll play attacking football. They'll most likely rely on the counter-attack, which, with our defense, I'm worried about. But then again it's Algeria... ugh. This game just needs to happen already so I can be worried about the next game.

Algeria havent scored a goal yet. they need a win to advance. they have to press us. this is good for us because they wont be able to bunker and space will open up.

we just have to worry about giving up goals.

talisayNon said:
We need to stop with the retarded formations and start playing to our strengths. Obviously defense is not our strength, so Bobby should put 3 up front. Notice we've scored when we've gone with the 4-3-3 and are absolute shit when we're at 4-4-2? Yep.

Does Bob know this?

Bob knows that you dont all of a sudden play in a new formation that you havent practiced and the players arent familiar with (when playing as a team) unless you need to (see 10 minutes of the Slovenia game when down 2-0).

how is 3 in the midfield going to help our defensive issues again?

NoRéN said:
less than 9 hours left...

Brashnir said:
glad I'm not the only one stuck at work staring at the clock. :D

lol yep, loooong night.

NoRéN

Daigoro said:
ps. today is DAY 13!

im very comfortable with that.

Algeria havent scored a goal yet. they need a win to advance. they have to press us. this is good for us because they wont be able to bunker and space will open up.

Bob knows that you dont all of a sudden play in a new formation that you havent practiced and the players arent familiar with (when playing as a team) unless you need to (see 10 minutes of the Slovenia game when down 2-0).

lol yep, loooong night.
I saw 3 strikers as a way to help the defense and just took that as a troll post.

Brashnir

Daigoro said:

While Algeria certainly played defensively against England, they did show an ability to come out and get the ball forward as well.

If they play the same 3-5-2 (at times resebling a 3-6-3 and even a 5-4-1 against England) against us, we'll need to move the ball forward quickly, utilizing Donovan on the right to get behind Belhadj, and forcing their LCD to cover the flank. The ball doesn't even necessarily need to go to Donovan, but they must respect that run, which will give our forwards room to operate in the box. If we spend 90 minutes trying to deliberately walk the ball up the middle like England did, we'll find the same amount of success, even if Algeria play more aggressively.

Well, it all depends on how you play it. a 4-3-3/4-5-1 can be used to great effect against the formation Algeria have been playing, since it gives you a strong presence attacking the flanks. I'm not really sure it helps us defensively at all though, since the back 6 remains basically unchanged. We've never had much success playing that sort of formation in the past, but then again, we haven't played it against many 3-man back lines either.

Daigoro

Belhadj has looked pretty good. im actually kind of a fan of the Desert Foxes at this point. :lol

yeah, the clogging up of the midfield is going to be an issue. its going to be rough going im sure. but ug i fucking HATE 4-5-1. it could happen for sure though.

im going to assume the line up/formation is going to be pretty standard in this game, but we'll see. ill be surprised if there are any surprises pre-game for us. its all going to be up to working together as a team well and being able to break down Algeria. and DEFENSE.

shit. this could be a hell of a match.

time to go for a walk around. ill be back. :lol

Mindlog

Daigoro said:

lets go YANKS!

Yeah much more important things... Like a bunch of coworkers calling in sick and getting drunk before noon...

That's not at all healthy or productive.

Then again there's no other way a chant set to the start of his tune would ever work :lol

8 more hours

Daigoro

Mindlog said:
Yeah much more important things... Like a bunch of coworkers calling in sick and getting drunk before noon...

That's not at all healthy or productive.

Then again there's no other way a chant set to the start of his tune would ever work :lol

8 more hours

this is what vacation days were meant for.

i dont know why people are having trouble grasping this.

edit: that tune is so good. :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
time for the us to kick some algerian ass. somebody get the buckets out for all the eurotears incoming when the u.s. makes it through

Clydefrog

28t2ld.jpg

East Lake

They should play that before the game instead of our national anthem every once in a while, it is pretty much the greatest song ever.

Matt Damon

Atlagev

Antimatter said:
They should play that before the game instead of our national anthem every once in a while, it is pretty much the greatest song ever.

Matt Damon

They actually played it at the bar I was at for USA - England. They put on "Three Lions", and the English fans started singing. All the American fans started booing like crazy. :) Then they put on "America, Fuck Yeah!" for balance, I guess. :)

Also, I've heard the American Outlaws sing it at US matches, but I wouldn't know, because there hasn't been a US game around here in forever. :-(

Daigoro

i dont know if i should go out to the bar to watch or stay at home...

im slightly torn. not sure if ill know how to behave in public during this.

Daigoro

yeah im getting a little stressed here. i need a drink.

edit: well too bad bhaskar wasnt here to enjoy the evening with us.

im about to sign off. dunno when i shall return. good luck guys and GO YANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom