• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That Mexico troll dude from the main thread's head will splose if Mexico go out before the U.S. Obviously Mexico is losing next round but U.S. has a very realistic chance of going through depending how things break.

Ryck

AstroLad said:
That Mexico troll dude from the main thread's head will splose if Mexico go out before the U.S. Obviously Mexico is losing next round but U.S. has a very realistic chance of going through depending how things break.
2002 is prolly still burning a hole in his heart. I know a lot of people who still haven't let that one go.

NoRéN

Ryck said:
2002 is prolly still burning a hole in his heart. I know a lot of people who still haven't let that one go.

WC 2002, then Benny in '07, then the border agent shooting the kid. No wonder the mexi-troll's pissed.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
NoRéN said:
WC 2002, then Benny in '07, then the border agent shooting the kid. No wonder the mexi-troll's pissed.
mexico has always thrown syringes at us players, since way before all that

ironically perhaps i don't even hate mexico that much and would probably cheer for them against most teams north america/concacaf represent! :lol

NoRéN

US wins game, group—and a whole lot of new fans

PRETORIA, South Africa (AP)—Long after the game had ended and the jubilant players had left the field, the U.S. fans partied on in the stands, singing, dancing and waving their American flags. Back home, folks who couldn’t pick Landon Donovan out of a lineup only a few weeks ago celebrated his goal with die-hard gusto.

For decades now, soccer enthusiasts have insisted it was only a matter of time before the game grabbed hold of the United States as it has the rest of the world.

That time is here.

U.S. sports fans love winners, and the Americans are moving on to the second round of the World Cup as the top team in their group—ahead, even, of mighty England. But it’s the way this team is playing, every match an adrenaline-fueled, heart-in-your-throat, can’t-look-away-for-a-second dance on the edge that is captivating the country. And changing the game in the United States.

“Anybody that watched today’s game and can’t get excited about it, we’re not going to win them over,” U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati said. “But I think we won a lot of people over today.”

Soccer has been on a slow, steady climb for years now, and its growth is inevitable with all those kids who’ve been packing their local parks each weekend. But to become a major player in the U.S. sports scene, to generate the kind of interest the NFL, NBA and Major League Baseball do, soccer needs some kind of watershed moment.

South Africa is it.

Let's hope so.

Atlagev

Man oh man oh man oh man... Was watching here at work downstairs at the building's cafe (the owner is a big soccer fan, and brought in a TV to watch the games). *So* many chances that, to be honest, we really should have finished. Jozy's shot especially stands out.

But that debate is for another day. :) When Landon fired the winner home and I saw him celebrating, I started yelling like mad, and ran out of the office building. I actually planned to run around the whole thing, but then I realized 2 things: 1. Our office building is pretty damn big. 2. I figured I should come back and double check that we hadn't gotten screwed again, and that it actually *was* a goal. ;-) I came back, found out that it was, then watched the rest of the game. Game ended, and I proceeded to hug the owner of the cafe like he was my best friend. :)

After that, I was buzzed like mad. It's amazing; my Facebook and Twitter was blowing up with friends of mine who had watched the game, saying things like "USA!" and "Donovan!" It's bizarre; almost *none* of my friends (okay, maybe like 3) are anything close to soccer fans, but here were people I'd never thought would say anything about soccer saying "That was the most awesome thing I've ever seen!"

WOW! I don't really give a fuck who we play in the next round. I'd almost like a bigger name like Germany, because we're not expected to win a game like that. In any case, what an amazing morning! I will *never* forget it!

I want to join a USMNT supporter's group.
This game was so awesome...really, watching them since defeating Spain in 2009 has been so much fun for me, I'd like to learn more and support soccer more.

diehard

Fleer
I was all prepared to say "this is why the US hates soccer" while watching that game, every game ending in a tie? I couldn't think of anything lamer. Then Donovan goes and makes me look like a fool.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
dIEHARD said:
I was all prepared to say "this is why the US hates soccer" while watching that game, every game ending in a tie? I couldn't think of anything lamer. Then Donovan goes and makes me look like a fool.
So many emotions leading up to that goal:

-Pissed that Slovenia was going to get by even though they were by any reasonable estimation beaten by the U.S. and the U.S. should have beat Algeria but Dempsey's goal was disallowed. Their only noteworthy moment was a cheapie goal against Algeria.

-Pissed about U.S. getting screwed out of two games in a row thanks to refs.

-Pissed about the Algerian guy punching Dempsey in the face -- 1000x worse than what Zidane did btw, just hidden from the ref I guess -- without so much as a yellow when it should have been a straight red with a good amount of time to go.

-Pissed about Algeria starting to inexplicably timewaste late on.

Ok, mostly one emotion actually.

AstroLad said:
-Pissed about the Algerian guy punching Dempsey in the face -- 1000x worse than what Zidane did btw, just hidden from the ref I guess -- without so much as a yellow when it should have been a straight red with a good amount of time to go.
That shouldn't have been a yellow at all. You're letting your patriotism blind you here.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mike Works said:
That shouldn't have been a yellow at all. You're letting your patriotism blind you here.
Really? When I saw the replay it looked like he straight punched him in the face, which inadvertent or not would usually get you at least a yellow. I mean he saw him and just whacked him in the face with a closed fist. I could care less now though. Adios Algeria.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy5Juflwa3k

East Lake

Yeah, I don't see how that could be anything but a card if it was seen. He deliberately threw a jab at Dempsey and drew blood, this isn't like a wayward elbow or some shit.

Heretic

I'm so proud of my boys in blue! Donovan stepping up AGAIN! This game was such an emotional rollercoaster. At the 44th minute I felt it was over. Then they announced an additional 4 of stoppage time and my heart started racing again.

Let's go, U.S.A.! 4 more wins, baby! 4 more wins...

woodchuck

i'd have rather played serbia or australia but oh well. atmosphere is going to be crazy vs Ghana. it's basically going to be USA vs Africa

Dresden

Ghana can actually attack well, it's just that they have bad luck and don't seem to be able to connect... like every other African team. I expect lots of shots for both teams but only two or three goals total.

thefro

AstroLad said:
Ghana. We got this boys.

Really hope Buddle starts based on the performances so far this Cup.

Yeah, I really like how things have shaken out in our area of the bracket... Ghana and then the winner of Uruguay/S. Korea will be 2 very winnable games.

Atlagev

Ready for Ghana and revenge on Saturday.

You know what you did.

Also, the game is on at 2:30 PM ET on ABC, so I wonder if this will get an even bigger rating than the England match.

Clydefrog

The game on Saturday feels too soon! I won't be ready!!

That being said, USA gets scheduled at the best time again: a Saturday at 11:30 AM PDT. PERFECT for filling bars and restaurants across America just like USA vs England was.

Akim

Banned
Clydefrog said:

That being said, USA gets scheduled at the best time again: a Saturday at 11:30 AM PDT. PERFECT for filling bars and restaurants across America just like USA vs England was.

much better than 7 am

Clydefrog said:

Hell yea. Thinking of going to sports bar and watching it on big screen.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Has this been posted at all yet?

World Cup 2010 Twitter replay - Follow high-speed replays of the World Cup and find out how Twitter reacted to every game

Kinda neat to play with.

14bqa85.png

23gxro4.png

eprhow.png

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Harry_Tequila said:
It will be the same story in America as always. Hype, hype, hype until they get knocked out and the public at large realise that the team have no realistic chance of winning anything significant in the next 50 years.
U.S. has had an exciting cup run and people are getting into it. Don't see anything wrong with that.

AstroLad said:
U.S. has had an exciting cup run and people are getting into it. Don't see anything wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with it, nothing at all. I just wouldn't expect a sea change in public opinion on the basis of a few matches.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Harry_Tequila said:
Nothing wrong with it, nothing at all. I just wouldn't expect a sea change in public opinion on the basis of a few matches.
The difference this time around though is the larger and larger amount of youth soccer being played as time goes on. Eventually more of these kids are going to want to try and pursue the sport as a career instead of baseball/football/basketball, good national showings like this will only help inspire more of them. And if more American players become good enough to regularly compete overseas, it feeds back into the national team which will further feed the public if they continue to do well.

It won't happen overnight, it's a continual progression.

Schmitty

Does anyone else have the ESPN World Cup app for the iPhone? Is it worth upgrading? I'm going to be at a Phillies game on Saturday and want some way to watch it live.

East Lake

Harry_Tequila said:
I'd think we probably need a really dominant team to lock down the interest. Some free flowing, attack minded team with a few elite level strikers. I feel like it boils down to excitement for most of the new fans, matches like the last were nice but they don't happen often.

well done U.S.A.

hopefully football will win in popularity so that hand-egg-boredom-of-5-seconds-of-gameplay-and-10hours-of-commercial-nonsense can get the fuck out.

Antimatter said:
I'd think we probably need a really dominant team to lock down the interest. Some free flowing, attack minded team with a few elite level strikers. I feel like it boils down to excitement for most of the new fans, matches like the last were nice but they don't happen often.

I reckon the interest would probably be increased the most with a domestic league that was actually comparable in quality to those in Europe and, to a lesser extent, South America.

It's never going to grow in popularity while people have to watch the sport in other countries and at bizarre times of the day.

East Lake

Always-honest said:
well done U.S.A.

hopefully football will win in popularity so that hand-egg-boredom-of-5-seconds-of-gameplay-and-10hours-of-commercial-nonsense can get the fuck out.
This is honestly the biggest thing that redeems any low or non-scoring match for me. I can literally feel the Coors light commercials irreversibly killing my attention span when I watch Jets games.

Edit:

Harry_Tequila said:
I reckon the interest would probably be increased the most with a domestic league that was actually comparable in quality to those in Europe and, to a lesser extent, South America.

It's never going to grow in popularity while people have to watch the sport in other countries and at bizarre times of the day.
Definitely. I almost have very little hope for it though, maybe if one of the bigger sports here dropped off the face of the earth, but it's like we're saturated with large sports already, so hard to gain ground...

Mindlog

*tune - blue tail fly/jimmy crack corn*
Donovan scores in stoppage time
Donovan scores I've lost my mind
Donovan scores so I feel finnnnnnnnnne
Drinkin' since the morning

repeated until brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

That was fun.

Clydefrog

Subitai said:
Donovan was captain clutch again.

How do you guys think the new lineup was today?

I was shocked that Algeria didn't press Bornstein more. If I were the Algerian coach and I did my homework, the second I see Bornstein on the pitch I would say "ATTACK HIM!" I think we were real lucky there. I don't want to see Bornstein start against Ghana but I don't really know who to play there. Especially against a speedy Ghana.

mYm|17|

Subitai said:
Donovan was captain clutch again.

How do you guys think the new lineup was today?

It was ok.

Bradley needs to stick with Buddle up top with Altidore and bring Gomez in as a sub if needed. Defense is the main thing to worry about.

JohnsonUT

Clydefrog said:
I was shocked that Algeria didn't press Bornstein more. If I were the Algerian coach and I did my homework, the second I see Bornstein on the pitch I would say "ATTACK HIM!" I think we were real lucky there. I don't want to see Bornstein start against Ghana but I don't really know who to play there. Especially against a speedy Ghana.

Algeria seems content to play for a tie or to try and get a counter-attacking goal through the middle. It was real strange strategy for a team that still had a chance at advancing with a 2-0 win.

Schmitty said:
Why does no one sell the US Soccer jerseys?

Sports Authority?
Dicks?
Target?
Walmart?

Maybe theyre sold out. There was a Univision report, that they went to 20 stores in los angeles and all the mexico jerseys were sold out, and they had all added 10$ to the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom