• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Have a business trip through Tuesday that I'm coming back from and extending into a one-day vacation on Wednesday. :D Going to be an awesome day of matches on so many levels.

NoRéN

daoster said:
Sorry, wrong attitude is the wrong word to say. Rather, I want to see a better attitude.

We should be coming out strong, hitting them hard, and never looking back. Like against Spain in 2009. Waiting to get "punched" before we finally punch back is playing with fire.

It's a scary thought that we haven't been able to keep a clean sheet in a World Cup match since that historical 1-0 win against England in the 1950 World Cup (of course, we weren't in the World Cups between 1950 and 1990, so....) For the last 12 games, we also haven't been able to keep a clean sheet. People say that Algeria haven't scored a goal yet, and yet I wouldn't be surprised if they snuck one around our backline within the first 20 minutes of our encounter.

The fact that we're able to come from behind now and at least draw the game is a testament to Bob Bradley's managerial skills, but we got lucky with England, and unlucky with Slovenia...but Algeria is a must win game, one that we can't let it depend on luck. We need to finish them and never look back.

More importantly Germany/Serbia/Ghana certainly won't be forgiving if they're up by two.
Oh, ok. I see what you mean now. Yeah, a playing style like the way we went at Spain and Brazil from the get go would be great. I think that's what will happen against Algeria. Buddle and Altidore up front. And Ive said it before, Torres is great...as a sub!!!
The clean sheets, I don't know what to say about that. It's a crazy statistic. Algeria has a purpose to play all out now. We saw how they came out against Slovenia in their first match. They are very capable of testing Howard early.

AstroLad said:
Americans might as well be banned from that thread tbh. Can't even crack a joke in there.
Seriously, sincewhen is supporting your country an act of arrogance if you're american? So, we're happy that we came back from a two goal defecit. SOrry, sensitive world members of GAF.

NoRéN

tmaynard said:
The best news I've heard all day.
:lol
Refs get evaluated at the end of the group stages and the best stick are kept for the last rounds. But, seems like thisguy's getting sent home early. Despite that, damage has been done.
Also, I saw an article somewhere where they're trying to back up the ref's decision to disallow the goal based on some FIFA rule for this world cup. Something about "wrestling in the box". So, apparently, 3 of our players being infringed on and being wrestled to the ground is a violation AGAINST them. :lol
I'll come back with the link when i find it unless someone else has it and wants to share.

Portuguese-Canadian here and I feel really sorry for team USA

that ref should be fired, I hate officiating in Soccer, such as the game today where the US got robbed + when France used a Handball and robbed Ireland of qualification

Refs are the ugliest part of this sport... time to go all out NFL with video reviews, fuck the refs

NoRéN

gutter_trash said:
Portuguese-Canadian here and I feel really sorry for team USA

that ref should be fired, I hate officiating in Soccer, such as the game today where the US got robbed + when France used a Handball and robbed Ireland of qualification

Refs are the ugliest part of this sport... time to go all out NFL with video reviews, fuck the refs
But, But...the purity of the game! it will slow the pace down...
Thanks. Sucks but we just have to keep looking forward.

Oozer3993

daoster said:
Sorry, wrong attitude is the wrong word to say. Rather, I want to see a better attitude.

We should be coming out strong, hitting them hard, and never looking back. Like against Spain in 2009. Waiting to get "punched" before we finally punch back is playing with fire.

It's a scary thought that we haven't been able to keep a clean sheet in a World Cup match since that historical 1-0 win against England in the 1950 World Cup (of course, we weren't in the World Cups between 1950 and 1990, so....)
For the last 12 games, we also haven't been able to keep a clean sheet. People say that Algeria haven't scored a goal yet, and yet I wouldn't be surprised if they snuck one around our backline within the first 20 minutes of our encounter.

The fact that we're able to come from behind now and at least draw the game is a testament to Bob Bradley's managerial skills, but we got lucky with England, and unlucky with Slovenia...but Algeria is a must win game, one that we can't let it depend on luck. We need to finish them and never look back.

More importantly Germany/Serbia/Ghana certainly won't be forgiving if they're up by two.

2vcwzti.jpg

2-0 against Mexico in the Round of 16 in 2002. The only clean sheet for the US in a World Cup game since that famous 1950 game. The way the announcer phrased it was horrible. He meant the US has only had 1 clean sheet since the 1-0 game in 1950.

P.S. I'm actually glad I didn't see the game until the replay, with my only knowledge of it being that there was controversy. If I had seen it live, I would have broken my television and caused quite a bit of damage in my living room.

leroidys

NoRéN said:
Seriously. The fuck is the point of bringing in these 2nd rate refs. Where's Massimo Bussaca? Even that mexican ref with the widow's peak would have given us better calls.

Yeah that guy is terrible. I saw him come on the pitch this year and immediately though I REMEMBER YOU.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I would've never guessed that some Soccer fans share the same sentiment some Baseball fans have about the "human element of the game"

Korey

Judderman said:
I would've never guessed that some Soccer fans share the same sentiment some Baseball fans have about the "human element of the game"
Some researchers or smart people should really get together and write a paper about this problem and solve this age-old dilemma for like 5+ sports.

The "human element" is such a dumb argument. Referees missing calls is bad, making a call penalizing an innocent team is even worse. It harms the sport more than it helps.

The only rational argument against instant replay is the effect it'll have on the pace of a game. In basketball, they can review questionable 3-pointers in a room "up above" and adjust the score on the fly without disrupting the game at all, and they can also review for possession when it's under two minutes in the game. This is a good first step, and a decent compromise...balancing disruption to the game with how much is at stake.

NoRéN said:
But, But...the purity of the game! it will slow the pace down...
Thanks. Sucks but we just have to keep looking forward.
Right, like the pace wasn't already slowed down by the chaos after the ref fucked up.

daoster

Oozer3993 said:
2vcwzti.jpg

2-0 against Mexico in the Round of 16 in 2002. The only clean sheet for the US in a World Cup game since that famous 1950 game. The way the announcer phrased it was horrible. He meant the US has only had 1 clean sheet since the 1-0 game in 1950.

Holy crap...I can't believe I forgot that legendary game...dos a cero on the Asian continent! I hang my head in shame.

Still, the point still stands, 1 clean sheet, or 0 clean sheet, it's still a disturbing trend for the U.S.

NoRéN

Squirrel Killer said:
Right, like the pace wasn't already slowed down by the chaos after the ref fucked up.
Sarcasm is hard to detect through text.
Go re-read what i wrote. And, nice generalization.

daoster said:
Holy crap...I can't believe I forgot that legendary game...dos a cero on the Asian continent! I hang my head in shame.

Still, the point still stands, 1 clean sheet, or 0 clean sheet, it's still a disturbing trend for the U.S.
Very true. Hopefully the US can go into the Algeria game inspired, organized, and ready to attack from kick-off.

If it helps, it may not have been the world cup but,
3-1 loss to Italy
3-0 loss to Brazil
3-0 win against Egypt
Who did Algeria struggle to beat to make it into the world cup?
The US needed a specific result against Egypt. They went and got it. Kept organized both in defense and attack. We can do this! First clean sheet since '02. BELIEVE!

NoRéN

viakado said:
this is awesome news.
only if the nba follows suit and fires shitty nba refs.
do you realize how many more championships LA would have won?
How does that work in NBA, ref selection? Can they be sanctioned for blown calls? But, there's reviewing done during games too, no?

Clydefrog

viakado said:
this is awesome news.
only if the nba follows suit and fires shitty nba refs.
do you realize how many more championships LA would have won?

How many free throws did the Lakers have last night? ( I guess that's predominantly the Celtics' fault as opposed to the refs...)

nilbog21

Banned
NoRéN said:
Source: FIFA may sit Slovenia-U.S. referee

Yes he deserves to die, and I hope he burns in hell!

thank god. I feel bad for Americans because this was a big chance for the american public to get into the football atmosphere; an epic comeback win, but instead they got to witness the worst part of the game; lots of diving and bad fucking calls

Anyway, if it is any comfort, i have never seen the french commentators side so strongly with the US team (euros dont really like the integration of america into first class football). i think they are genuinely rooting for the US now because they really deserve to get out of their group {sharp contrast to the general sentimnet about french team :p )

NoRéN said:
How does that work in NBA, ref selection? Can they be sanctioned for blown calls? But, there's reviewing done during games too, no?
lol no. the nba wants to maximize profits by extending series.
and the refs are the bulldogs of Stern's iron fist.
as for replays. its only allowed after the final 2 minutes of the game, iirc.
Clydefrog said:
How many free throws did the Lakers have last night? ( I guess that's predominantly the Celtics' fault as opposed to the refs...)
lakers we're the aggressors.
one way to guage that is to see rebouding disparity.
lakers we're like 13+ in that department.
so that means naturally they'd get more calls called their way.

NoRéN

viakado said:
lol no. the nba wants to maximize profits by extending series.
and the refs are the bulldogs of Stern's iron fist.
as for replays. its only allowed after the final 2 minutes of the game, iirc.

lakers we're the aggressors.
one way to guage that is to see rebouding disparity.
lakers we're like 13+ in that department.
so that means naturally they'd get more calls called their way.
So, refs can fuck up big and still have a job next day?

In soccer, FIFA evaluates all refs after the groups stage of the world cup. The top refs(least blown calls, least mistakes, allowed the game to flow, etc) stay for the elimination round games. The terrible refs are sent home. However, FIFA does not punish them for bad calls and they are not even required to comment on games and ref decisions after they have ben made. In the case of the Mali ref that screwed US, we may never ever hear from his mouth what it is that he saw that caused him to disallow the goal.

NoRéN said:
Seriously, sincewhen is supporting your country an act of arrogance if you're american? So, we're happy that we came back from a two goal defecit. SOrry, sensitive world members of GAF.

Being American and proud of it = arrogance
True story.

I've met tourists that have said that the fact that we have so many American flags flying in our country (at restaurants, on factories, etc.) is "scary"

Slizz

Somehow some way when I scheduled my summer classes in the morning I managed to never have a class during a marquee game...incredible. Will be able to catch the US game on Wednesday no problem.

Slizz said:
Somehow some way when I scheduled my summer classes in the morning I managed to never have a class during a marquee game...incredible. Will be able to catch the US game on Wednesday no problem.

The coverage starts at 9:30am EST right? Someone posted that it started at 7:30am, but I'm guessing they meant PST and put the wrong timezone?

zoku88

sw33tclyde said:
The coverage starts at 9:30am EST right? Someone posted that it started at 7:30am, but I'm guessing they meant PST and put the wrong timezone?
I don't know off the top of my mind, but the games start at like. 730 EST, 1000EST and 1430EST not sure which one is the us game. Coverage starts about 30 minutes before a match on a lot of channels.

Slizz

sw33tclyde said:
Yea coverage at 9:30, gametime at 10. Same as our last game.

NoRéN

timetokill said:
Being American and proud of it = arrogance
True story.

I've met tourists that have said that the fact that we have so many American flags flying in our country (at restaurants, on factories, etc.) is "scary"
Being an L.A. resident since very little, it surprises me the negative attitude towards american patriotism...but, go around waving a mexican flag, shutting down streets to parade and blow loud horns and play loud music, jaywalk, rev engines, etc because mexico won a game, perfectly fine. :lol
had to bail out of the WC thread. Great representaion of our World members. Isn't this a US based forum?

Looked up Joey Crawford...wtf!!!!!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
nilbog21 said:
thank god. I feel bad for Americans because this was a big chance for the american public to get into the football atmosphere; an epic comeback win, but instead they got to witness the worst part of the game; lots of diving and bad fucking calls

Anyway, if it is any comfort, i have never seen the french commentators side so strongly with the US team (euros dont really like the integration of america into first class football). i think they are genuinely rooting for the US now because they really deserve to get out of their group {sharp contrast to the general sentimnet about french team :p )
If we get out of the group, then we're all the better for the controversy, really. For one, it's made us Americans actually get ANGRY and emotional over a game of soccer, one that was also very exciting and engaging. If we still move on out of the group (which I think we will), that will be seen over here as a big overcoming of the odds, which really is what America as a concept is all about.

We'll have gotten angry and excited, overcome a huge hurdle, and moved on to join the football elite in the knockout stages. We'll have made an exciting comeback to win a draw against England, an exciting comeback in a game that we should have won against Slovenia, and, despite the fact that we're already in qualifying position right now, it would be perceived as an exciting comeback overall if we make it to the Round of 16.

All we have to do is not lose to Algeria (we don't even HAVE to beat them, though we really should to give ourselves the best chance and close the possibility of missing out).

And quite frankly, if we do lose to Algeria, we don't deserve to be a part of the Round of 16 anyway. That's the kind of game that, if we want to pretend we belong with the big boys, we need to come out and win (or at least not lose :D) like a big boy. So really, it doesn't actually matter all that much whether Edu's goal counted or not. If we make it through, we will have earned our way, and the world had better be on notice, especially with the way some of the European powers have performed thus far. If we don't make it through, we will probably have deserved to not make it.

NoRéN

MetatronM said:
If we get out of the group, then we're all the better for the controversy, really. For one, it's made us Americans actually get ANGRY and emotional over a game of soccer, one that was also very exciting and engaging. If we still move on out of the group (which I think we will), that will be seen over here as a big overcoming of the odds, which really is what America as a concept is all about.

We'll have gotten angry and excited, overcome a huge hurdle, and moved on to join the football elite in the knockout stages. We'll have made an exciting comeback to win a draw against England, an exciting comeback in a game that we should have won against Slovenia, and, despite the fact that we're already in qualifying position right now, it would be perceived as an exciting comeback overall if we make it to the Round of 16.

All we have to do is not lose to Algeria (we don't even HAVE to beat them, though we really should to give ourselves the best chance and close the possibility of missing out).

And quite frankly, if we do lose to Algeria, we don't deserve to be a part of the Round of 16 anyway. So really, it doesn't actually matter all that much whether Edu's goal counted or not. If we make it through, we will have earned our way, and the world had better be on notice, especially with the way some of the European powers have performed thus far. If we don't make it through, we will probably have deserved to not make it.
It's been great to ee the uproar in media and among people who could not even care about the sport. Soccer on the front pages!!! It's great!

As for the bold part, Donovan said something to that tune in an interview. If the US cannot make it out of the group then they do not deserve to be there anyway. Simple as that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That's what the U.S. said against Ghana though. :/

Would love for the U.S. to revenge Ghana. Don't like that team and I think the U.S. could beat them save giving up a bailout penalty that Ghana relies upon for their entire offense. Serbia or Germany would be tough but I wouldn't mind revenging 2002 either.

Clydefrog

We need a GIF of that fan reaction when Edu scores the goal. It's a group of fans but there's this one guy that yells "YAAHHH!!" and then his face slowly turns into shock and disgust. It's :lol even though I felt the exact same way he did.

Korey

NoRéN said:
As for the bold part, Donovan said something to that tune in an interview. If the US cannot make it out of the group then they do not deserve to be there anyway. Simple as that.
But we already did make it out of the group.

It was because of a corrupt/incompetent individual that we may not, not because we don't deserve it. Not only do we deserve it, we already earned it. It was a done deal.

NoRéN

Korey said:

It was because of a corrupt/incompetent individual that we may not, not because we don't deserve it. Not only do we deserve it, we already earned it. It was a done deal.
Yeah but still. We should have not been down 2-0 at halftime. And, we should not lose to Algeria either. I am sure they all and we would all prefer to go into the group stage with at least 1 clear win as oppose to 3 draws.

Fuck that ref!

Korey

NoRéN said:
Yeah but still. We should have not been down 2-0 at halftime. And, we should not lose to Algeria either. I am sure they all and we would all prefer to go into the group stage with at least 1 clear win as oppose to 3 draws.
I agree, but I think that out of all four teams in this group, the US currently deserves it the most. What a fucked up group.

daoster

Korey said:

Corrupt is a little strong isn't it? While he definitely is incompetent as a ref and a human being...I don't particularly think he was a corrupt ref. Bad calls, like it or not, are an unfortunate part of this game, and until Sepp and the rest of FIFA are willing to look at technology that would prevent this (or make some changes), we're stuck. But we know that won't happen anytime soon, FIFA are too busy arresting hot Netherlands girls for advertising for beers that are probably better than Budweiser.

And anyways, it doesn't matter if we deserved it or not, it doesn't matter whether we earned it or not...at the end of the day, we get the hands we're dealt with, and the USA should look past the fluffed called and focus on the positives (and our weaknesses) and just bang out the last 3 points...onward HO!

We don't want to get hung up on that bad call forever, lest we want to enter into some self destructive cycle like the English are in.

AstroLad said:
Would love for the U.S. to revenge Ghana. Don't like that team and I think the U.S. could beat them save giving up a bailout penalty that Ghana relies upon for their entire offense. Serbia or Germany would be tough but I wouldn't mind revenging 2002 either.

I would love to exact revenge on Germany for 2002...it'd be a great challenge for us. We would probably have a better chance with Ghana, but Germany would probably be a bigger headline for the sport in the U.S. Either way, the round of 16 should be interesting for us, if (and when) we get in.

Korey

daoster said:
Corrupt is a little strong isn't it? While he definitely is incompetent as a ref and a human being...I don't particularly think he was a corrupt ref. Bad calls, like it or not, are an unfortunate part of this game, and until Sepp and the rest of FIFA are willing to look at technology that would prevent this (or make some changes), we're stuck. But we know that won't happen anytime soon, FIFA are too busy arresting hot Netherlands girls for advertising for beers that are probably better than Budweiser.

And anyways, it doesn't matter if we deserved it or not, it doesn't matter whether we earned it or not...at the end of the day, we get the hands we're dealt with, and the USA should look past the fluffed called and focus on the positives (and our weaknesses) and just bang out the last 3 points...onward HO!

We don't want to get hung up on that bad call forever, lest we want to enter into some self destructive cycle like the English are in.
I don't assume anything, but there's speculation that the ref was paid off, or that he is personally biased against the US. I wouldn't be surprised, but since we'll probably never know for sure, I wrote "corrupt or incompetent".

Anyways, I was just responding to what Donovan said: "If the US cannot make it out of the group then they do not deserve to be there anyway." At this point making it out of the group doesn't really have to do with deserving it or not.

Brashnir

I don't really have anything to say on the bad call. It is what it is. Teams get screwed all the time, and it's not the first time it's happened to us. Time to sack up and move forward.

What do people think about Algeria? I watched both their opening round games, and I see them as being a mixed bad when it comes to our chances against them. They looked very poor against Slovenia (and Slovenia looked poor against them) but I think that may have been a combination of opening game jitters and the way the teams matched up against each other, since both teams looked far better in their second games.

In the England match in particular, Algeria's formation was very problematic for the English. They alternated between playing a 3-5-2 and 5-4-1, and really congested the area in the middle of the field between the top of their penalty area and 40 yards out. England, to their discredit, played directly into their hand, throwing themselves time after time straight into the teeth of the Algerian defense.

Everyone who understands basic tactics in this sport understands that the way to beat this formation is to advance the ball quickly down the wings before the wide midfielders can get back to defend. This pulls the back 3 out of shape and opens space for your forwards and central midfielders to make runs into the box. England almost never attacked down the right flank, and I can't think of a single time they even attempted a serious attack on the left. Gerrard kept drifting centrally, and Cole was too late in getting upfield to provide the width needed to unbalance them. As a result, the back 3 drifted further and further to England's right side as the match went on, further nullifying any threat Lennon and later Wright-Phillips would be able to muster.

As an American fan this worries me, as we play a very similar formation to what England played last night. Dempsey, like Gerrard, is listed on the lineup card as the left midfielder, but he really tends to play more centrally, almost never offering a credible threat on the flank. We occasionally got movement down the left from Findley in the first two matches, but he's out on cards.

Hopefully, we can find a way to attack their weak flanks to generate some offense. We're not going to be able to walk the ball up the middle of the field if England was unable to do it. England is, quite frankly, better than us at it. Donovan and Cherundolo should be able to provide a threat on the right, along with keeping Belhadj (who was outstanding vs England) out of the Algerian attack. But what to do on the left?

I know DaMarcus Beasley hasn't been his old self in quite a while, but this is the one match in this tournament that could justify his inclusion on the roster. I've seen him single-handedly destroy a 3-man back line with his off-the-ball movement in the past. Another option is playing Torres out there. He's a natural lefty, but his instincts, like Dempsey's, are more to move centrally from the flank. He also had a pretty poor game against Slovenia.

Unfortunately, I don't see a really great option out there on our roster. Even more troubling is the fact that Bob Bradley's teams always struggled against the 3-5-2 when he was a coach in MLS.

I think our best hope is going to be to score on a set piece, or hope that Algeria change their tactics for this game, knowing that a draw does them no good.

Will we at least be able to wear our white shirts for this one?

NoRéN

daoster said:

I would love to exact revenge on Germany for 2002...it'd be a great challenge for us. We would probably have a better chance with Ghana, but Germany would probably be a bigger headline for the sport in the U.S. Either way, the round of 16 should be interesting for us, if (and when) we get in.
Yup, good post.
Incompetent was the better of the two words.
as for Sepp Blatter doing anything, ain't gonna happen. I mean, this is the saem guy that told the ladies something along the lines of if they wore sexier uniforms, women's soccer would be more popular. :lol
As long as Brazil, Spain, Italy, and Germany and making it far, all is well for FIFA.
It sucked but we have to put that past us and move on.

Brashnir

If anyone paid off the ref, it's ESPN:

JOHANNESBURG (AP) -- The United States' controversial 2-2 World Cup draw with Slovenia, in which an apparent late go-ahead goal for the Americans was disallowed by a referee who didn't explain his decision, drew the most households for a soccer match in ESPN's history.

The Algeria game figures to get an even bigger rating now due to the controversy. Hopefully the US can get the job done.

Crisis

Banned
Brashnir said:
If anyone paid off the ref, it's ESPN:

The Algeria game figures to get an even bigger rating now due to the controversy. Hopefully the US can get the job done.

The goal was disallowed very late though. I don't think the goal controversy is responsible for its ratings. I think the coverage of the England game was the ratings draw.

Brashnir

Crisis said:
The goal was disallowed very late though. I don't think the goal controversy is responsible for its ratings. I think the coverage of the England game was the ratings draw.

I think you missed this part: The Algeria game figures to get an even bigger rating now due to the controversy.

The comment was firmly tongue-in-cheek though.

Crisis

Banned
Brashnir said:
I think you missed this part: The Algeria game figures to get an even bigger rating now due to the controversy.

The comment was firmly tongue-in-cheek though.

Your quote says that it already got the highest ratings for a US match on ESPN. It doesn't say anything about presumed ratings for the Algeria game.

NoRéN

Korey said:
Coulibaly is at the NZ Italy game as a fourth official...

Ummm, fuck that...
lol, tread lightly? If the WC thread is any indication, we have enough "enemies" by just being american.

The ref can't be sent home til after the end of the group stage, i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom