• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't we just go ahead and sit Gooch so that whatever douche ref can't red card him on a no-foul like the Ghana game from WC 2006.

I wish the game was 7:30AM EST. I have a meeting with some higher ups at 10AM. grrrrr....thankfully I should be able to catch the 2nd half.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'm not very knowledgeable on the topic of soccer, but let's say someone did a bit of investigating and found that Coulibaly was rotten to the core, and there was a blatantly obvious large deposit of money in his bank account from some Slovenian shell company. Even if all that were to come to light, can I take it that FIFA would under no circumstances ever reverse the outcome of a game? The best they could do would be to fire him for just the rest of this Cup?

NoRéN

DarthWoo said:
I'm not very knowledgeable on the topic of soccer, but let's say someone did a bit of investigating and found that Coulibaly was rotten to the core, and there was a blatantly obvious large deposit of money in his bank account from some Slovenian shell company. Even if all that were to come to light, can I take it that FIFA would under no circumstances ever reverse the outcome of a game? The best they could do would be to fire him for just the rest of this Cup?
Yup, no way to appeal, no changes of outcomes as what the ref says is final.

A brazilian ref( i think he officiated the opening match) had received criticism in brazil for making some really bad calls that cost one team the title. He was kept from officiating top flight games in Brazil as a result. Despite that, FIFA called him up for this world cup.

KRS7

Maybe they should require two officials to agree on something like nullifying a goal. I can understand not wanting video reviews to slow it down, so just get more eyes out there. Seems that too many soccer fans are just like "Oh well that's football for you". They need to fix it, and not just accept bad officiating as part of the game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
He didn't really overturn it though as the whistle had blown before the goal so the play was dead. Now it was barely before (such that Edu definitely would have scored regardless) but he killed it before anything happened. Did it a couple of times before in the match too, almost like he had made up his mind to not let it play out (unlike other refs who if they don't like what's going on in the box, they will go and talk it out with the offenders -- which he SHOULD have done btw with the Slovenians who were treating the box like a WWE ring).

Daigoro

haven't been back to the thread since the game, but hoooly shit.

what a roller coaster of emotions that game was. i think i may have come close to dying back there. way too intense.

i was so fucking angry at half time. and so incredibly happy at both of the goals we scored to come back and draw.

fuck the called back goal.

sx83nrbb57uzvt78iu.gif

Dresden

DarthWoo said:
Look, I love Korea, but their game against Spain was as crooked as it got back in '02, and if they haven't done anything about that, good luck with this one. :lol

NoRéN

KRS7 said:
Maybe they should require two officials to agree on something like nullifying a goal. I can understand not wanting video reviews to slow it down, so just get more eyes out there. Seems that too many soccer fans are just like "Oh well that's football for you". They need to fix it, and not just accept bad officiating as part of the game.
it's weird because that's happened before. Ref calls one thing and then the linesmen see something else, they meet, and then make a decision together. Like astro said, most refs let the plays finish, see what happens. This guy had his mind made up beforehand not to do that. Kill the flow whenever he felt that there was some sort of infringement.

MorisUkunRasik said:
I tried to buy my dad a US jersey for fathers day. Could not find a single jersey anywhere, come on America, get yo shit together.
uhh...isn't that a good thing? :D
Did you try online?

NoRéN said:
uhh...isn't that a good thing? :D
Did you try online?

It was a last minute thing. After he was complaining of not being able to find one for the past month. I had 2 days to get him the jersey, no time for internet shopping.

NoRéN

I, for one, DID NOT see this coming!!!! Shocking!!!!

Controversial USA-Slovenia Referee Koman Coulibaly Left Out Of Next Segment Of World Cup Games

FIFA released the list of referee assignments for the next
batch of games, through Wednesday's matches, and the notable absentee is Koman Coulibaly.

The Malian gained quick notoriety in his first World Cup game when he disallowed an 86th minute goal which would have given the United States a thrilling comeback win over Slovenia. Instead, the match finished in a spirited 2-2 draw.

Coulibaly also booked Robbie Findley earlier in that match for a handball that actually hit the USA striker in the face. The booking suspends Findley for the USA's last group stage match, against Algeria. With a win, the Americans will advance to the knockout stages. Belgian Frank De Bleeckere will officiate that game.

FIFA unveils referees gradually, so Coulibaly's current snub, though telling, doesn't necessarily mean the Malian will be sent home. In 2006, FIFA sent roughly half the referees home following the group stages. FIFA said in a statement that the referee committee has not made a definite decision either way on if it will similarly excuse referees before the knockout rounds.

DarthWoo said:

If something like that happened, the sanctions would be after the fact. previous results would stay the same, but Slovenia would be banned from future games (for example) and the ref would be banned for life.

MorisUkunRasik said:
I tried to buy my dad a US jersey for fathers day. Could not find a single jersey anywhere, come on America, get yo shit together.

Ehm, sold out is a good thing.

Daigoro

pics of the US Slovenia game.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/06/18/the-game-usa-vs-slovenia/

good shit.

*wow. great pics on that blog.

theres also one of the Slovenia victory dance (lol). someone on another board said it looks like they are fondling dudes balls. another guy said it looks like they are solving invisible rubiks cubes. :lol

NoRéN said:

god dammit.

DominoKid

MorisUkunRasik said:

no Sports Authority nearby? aside from dedicated soccer stores, thats the only place i've seen world cup jerseys.

Dresden

Daigoro said:
that part of the quote made it seem like you were annoyed by something. guess not. my bad!

this next game is going to be stressful!
Nah, not annoyed at all.

And I'm not too worried about the next game. I think the team will come out and kick ass.

Daigoro

Dresden said:
Nah, not annoyed at all.

And I'm not too worried about the next game. I think the team will come out and kick ass.

yep. my fault, sorry.

im upbeat about the Algeria game too. im confident that we are more than capable of winning. as long as we put it together and dont run into any really bad calls/fluke goals/bad luck, we have a great shot.

2mmtvr5.jpg

we can do this!

Heretic

I'm feeling a bit worried about Wednesday's game. it seems we play our best when our backs are against the wall. I hope we don't go in confident seeing as algeria has yet to score a goal in this world cup.

I kind of like Findley. His speed and want of the ball has created many chances for us. Just when it seems like the ball is out of reach, he's there picking it up and creating an otherwise missed opportunity. His speed will be missed.

I enjoyed seeing Altidore play in the second half. He's finally using that body to over power defenders and if it wasn't for his strength on that second goal, we'd be singing another tune today.

We have a great chance this Wednesday and i hope our boys in blue can show the world what we've got. Bring on the elimination round!

NoRéN

Heretic said:
I'm feeling a bit worried about Wednesday's game. it seems we play our best when our backs are against the wall. I hope we don't go in confident seeing as algeria has yet to score a goal in this world cup.

I kind of like Findley. His speed and want of the ball has created many chances for us. Just when it seems like the ball is out of reach, he's there picking it up and creating an otherwise missed opportunity. His speed will be missed.

I enjoyed seeing Altidore play in the second half. He's finally using that body to over power defenders and if it wasn't for his strength on that second goal, we'd be singing another tune today.

We have a great chance this Wednesday and i hope our boys in blue can show the world what we've got. Bring on the elimination round!
I've been a fan of Findley too. But, the dislike towards him doesn't surprise me. Seems like the norm for US fans to dislike some of our brighter talent. Took people long enough to like Bradley even though he was always a solid performer, give or take a few disasters. And then there's Donovan. Nothing like hating the player who was always on his way to becoming a legend for our country.
Findley's speed will be missed but hopefully Buddle starts and links up with Donovan the way they do for us here in L.A.
Altidore can be so frustrating at times. Virtually invisible in the first half. Then, that magnificent header towards an open Bradley. He really needs to start using that strenght of his.
I think Wednesday will have a great performance from the yanks. Well, I hope. The fact that for once it seems like our country is really taking a notice(more than usual) will hopefully provide a boost for our team.

Daigoro

Heretic said:

i dont see how thats possible. of course they talk about this stuff. i just cant imagine anyone in the organization thinking that this next game will be a walk through the park.

im sure they feel that if they play their best that they can come away with a win and i would agree. confident, but not over confident.

as for Findley... dont love him. he hasnt shown any composure. he hasnt been able to help with possession or make any meaningful attacking plays. has he taken a shot since his gaff in one of those warm up friendlies?

he has some uses, but i think we have better options. maybe he improves and has some value in 4 years. i dont see him doing much this go round.

Clydefrog

I'm nervous.

How do you think Algeria will play? 10 players behind the ball most of the game? I know they need to win to have any chance of advancing, but I doubt they'll play attacking football. They'll most likely rely on the counter-attack, which, with our defense, I'm worried about. But then again it's Algeria... ugh. This game just needs to happen already so I can be worried about the next game.

Slizz

Clydefrog said:
I'm nervous.

How do you think Algeria will play? 10 players behind the ball most of the game? I know they need to win to have any chance of advancing, but I doubt they'll play attacking football. They'll most likely rely on the counter-attack, which, with our defense, I'm worried about. But then again it's Algeria... ugh. This game just needs to happen already so I can be worried about the next game.

Lol I am sooo with you this game needs to happen already. I think Algeria will maybe try and attack early since that seems to work. But I can easily see them just sitting back and not giving a fuck.

Crisis

Banned
Clydefrog said:
I'm nervous.

*edit*

On the bolded point probably not that many. More like 8. :lol Algeria is going to be the one team in the group that we absolutely and definitively have a better offense than. At least on paper. This Cup has just been screwy all the way around. Our defensive effort hasn't been anything to write home about but provided we can leave a few back in the midfield without sending everyone up front I think we ought to be okay.

NoRéN

same here, want this game over with. But, i have a good feeling! Best performance yet. England couldn't beat us, slovenia got lucky in the end, and the disallowed goal has caused quite an uproar here in the States. They have to ride this wave. We're going in to win it early and win well.

US just has to settle down and be confident.

Fuck counterattacking - attack Algeria straight-up.
Don't take them as pushovers, but be confident that our side can beat Algeria if they really test them.

As long as the defense doesn't have any spectacular lapses like they did in the Slovenia game, they should be fine. I've got a good feeling about this game!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Clydefrog said:
I'm nervous.

Algeria can qualify with a win, so they'll send players forwards also. Even if they go up 1-0, they'll still send people forward, as 2-0 would guarantee them in.

I'm expecting a wacky score, as neither the US or ALG is that good defensively, and neither term will be Bunkering it. 3-2 maybe

Atlagev

God, I am *so* nervous about the game tomorrow... Part of me can see Landon just saying "fuck it" and carrying the team on his shoulders. The other half of me remembers all the games we've given up early goals in this cycle (not just in WC, but in qualifying. It's ridiculous!)

That said, the boys know what they have to do. Win, and in. That simple. Just hope our back line is up to it... They can put together *one* dazzling 90-minute performance, right?

Argh, so nervous!

Atlagev

methodman said:
Let's do this shit man, fuck. We need a forward to actually score a fucking goal.

I'm not actually worried about us scoring... Shockingly, it's the one thing we've become pretty decent at. Forward, Midfield, Gooch's head...I don't care where the fuck the goals come from. We haven't been shut out in forever.

We need to stop with the retarded formations and start playing to our strengths. Obviously defense is not our strength, so Bobby should put 3 up front. Notice we've scored when we've gone with the 4-3-3 and are absolute shit when we're at 4-4-2? Yep.

Does Bob know this?

As a Jets fan i know what pussy coaching and loser is all too well. Bob Bradley has the words pussy and loser strapped all over his face.

daoster

Something not to calm your fears, courtesy of the BBC.

- The USA have lost their final group match at each of their six World Cups from 1950 onwards.

Yikes! Let's hope that changes...this time around.

Subitai

daoster said:

Oh geez.

That is total bad omen right there. I'm hoping all the young new players will be immune to this negative karma.

Clydefrog

daoster said:

and those games weren't against "world-class" teams either....

1950 Chile
1990 Austria
1994 Romania*
1998 Yugoslavia
2002 Poland*
2006 Ghana

* we moved on to the round of 16 despite the loss.

KRS7

I'm not worried, streaks always come to an end. We need to win this game and the players know that. I can't wait to watch,

Get'sMad

I'm in the nervous camp because thats just the way I am going into my favorite teams big games (unfortunately being a lifelong Mets fan conditions you to expect the worst).

Couldn't get tomorrow morning off so I'll be watching on my computer and screaming at work. Was thinking of DVR'ing and watching when I get home but there would be no way I would be able to to avoid having the result spoiled.

East Lake

talisayNon said:
As a Jets fan i know what pussy coaching and loser is all too well. Bob Bradley has the words pussy and loser strapped all over his face.
:lol

That's why I love Rex Ryan, dude is a breath of fresh air. In that last game against Slovenia I was kinda thinking that Bob Bradley reminded me of a bald Dick Jauron. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom