• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindlog

daoster said:
Charlie Davies scored his first goal today in 9 months...he also played for the full 90 minutes with the reserve team! Between today's reserve game, and the short burst he's been getting with the senior team, it looks like Charlie Davies is well on the way to recovery!

Outstanding. 9

Gamecocks625 said:
I was impressed with how Philly played. For a lower level MLS team to take on ManU like that was an accomplishment. They had a few chances here and there, but ManU (once they started to turn up the heat) just proved too strong in the end.

The recent MLS friendlies have been much more competitive than most MLS games wtf. There is still a lot of sloppy MLS play, but they've looked markedly better in the friendlies I have watched.

I'm still catching the occasional Superliga game when I can. With all their efforts to push it ESPN's online soccer coverage could use some love. Navigating soccernet to find a friendly/tournament score can be a hassle. I just go to other sites of course, but it would be nice to have on ESPN.

daoster

Gamecocks625 said:
So good.

I truly feel we would have put up better results in the World Cup had he been in the lineup.

If he was healthy...maybe, but it does no good dwelling on this sort of stuff, because the World Cup is full of that, "if only this happen, that would have happen!" (e.g., if Mueller wasn't red carded, maybe it would have been a Germany-Netherlands final).

All we can hope for now, is that he gets his speed and confidence back and gets back to to the point where he can contribute significantly to the US National team.

AstroLad said:
did anyone ever figure out wtf happened with his car accident btw?

No idea, and I don't think we'll ever know what really happened. I think we do know that Charlie wasn't drinking, but I would guess that his friend probably was drunk.

So Don Garber said Donovan is not for sale....but what about for a trade?

There are now rumors about L.A. Galaxy and A.C. Milan doing a trade for Donovan-Ronaldinho...

Would Donovan excel in Serie A? I think Donovan doesn't do well in environments that are completely foreign to him...(His stints at Germany have shown that). On the other hand, provided Gooch isn't loaned out this season, he's at AC Milan and could certainly help Donovan adjust to life in Italy.

Karakand

captmcblack said:
METRO BOYS AIN'T NOTHING TO FUCK WITH.

Once the rest of RBNY gets used to his play, Henry - and the team - are going to destroy shit.
It is pretty weird to read you post like this about the Billboards.

daoster

sazabirules said:
Does anyone know if Manchester United will field their best players against the MLS Allstars?

Their best aren't even in the U.S. at the moment. Some of the starters are there, of course, but the best are either injured or resting after the World Cup.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
daoster said:
Their best aren't even in the U.S. at the moment. Some of the starters are there, of course, but the best are either injured or resting after the World Cup.

Thanks. I'm sure at the Allstar game there will be more fans wearing red jerseys than MLS ones.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Gamecocks625 said:
I was impressed with how Philly played. For a lower level MLS team to take on ManU like that was an accomplishment. They had a few chances here and there, but ManU (once they started to turn up the heat) just proved too strong in the end.

I am so stoked to see Henry tonight

you do know Man U consisted mostly of youngsters with some starters/bench players right?

Henry scoring again brings a smile to my face.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That was awesome he scored even though they lost. His coming here has been super low-key in the national media. Hope he goes on a tear and drums up some attention.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Fucking Earthquakes :(

I mean, I guess if someone told me before the game we were going to escape with a point I would be pleased, but jesus christ... that was very much SJ's game to lose and in the 2nd half they did everything in their power to do just that.

Hey Earthquakes... when you have the lead, hold onto the goddamn ball. They would literally get one touch and then hand it right back to LA.

Also, I'm as big a Donovan fan as anyone, but his perfomance tonight made me pretty cynical as well. Two dives, the intentional handball, etc.

In fact there were lots of intentional fouls from LA to shut down counters. Bullshit.

Stuck

GDJustin said:
Fucking Earthquakes :(

Watched the Earthquakes vs. Galaxy game yesterday too. Obviously bummed that SJ lost when it seems like they should have pulled out the win, but it was fun seeing Donovan and Buddle get out there and play. I forced my parents to watch this one (they showed a little bit of interest in the World Cup) and even they had a good time. Looks like soccer might become more of a staple in their home.

Stuck

Also, I think I mentioned in this thread that I was going to actually go out and play soccer myself for the first time since I was nine years old.

I've been consistently playing about two games a week with about 16 people on the pitch at a time. I don't really know what I'm doing most of the time, but I'm trying to pick up all the nuances of the game based on what I watch on TV and research on the internet.

I feel like I've already improved a ton (largely because I started from absolute scratch), but I don't really know how to best improve at this point. I've scored a handful of goals mainly being in the right place at the right time, but I'm definitely covering up a lack of skill/experience with pure hustle. Man, there is a lot of running in soccer.

Any tips for a new player trying to get better? Books to read, videos to watch, specific things to practice, etc?

Slizz

Stuck said:
Also, I think I mentioned in this thread that I was going to actually go out and play soccer myself for the first time since I was nine years old.

I've been consistently playing about two games a week with about 16 people on the pitch at a time. I don't really know what I'm doing most of the time, but I'm trying to pick up all the nuances of the game based on what I watch on TV and research on the internet.

I feel like I've already improved a ton (largely because I started from absolute scratch), but I don't really know how to best improve at this point. I've scored a handful of goals mainly being in the right place at the right time, but I'm definitely covering up a lack of skill/experience with pure hustle. Man, there is a lot of running in soccer.

Any tips for a new player trying to get better? Books to read, videos to watch, specific things to practice, etc?

Learn to time runs if you're attacking. Making consistent good runs will yield you lots of passes and shot opportunities. Also practice by yourself or with a few friends and just run up and down the field passing back and forth. That will help you get a little bit of fluidity running with the ball, passing and receiving passes. Work on your first touch too lol.

bluemax

Banned
Stuck said:
Watched the Earthquakes vs. Galaxy game yesterday too. Obviously bummed that SJ lost when it seems like they should have pulled out the win, but it was fun seeing Donovan and Buddle get out there and play. I forced my parents to watch this one (they showed a little bit of interest in the World Cup) and even they had a good time. Looks like soccer might become more of a staple in their home.

It was a tie, although LA should've won. SJ got lucky when the refs ruled in their favor on what could've been a goal or a hand ball.

GDJustin

bluemax said:
It was a tie, although LA should've won. SJ got lucky when the refs ruled in their favor on what could've been a goal or a hand ball.

First of all, there is absolutely 0 way it "could've" been a goal. Goals are clear-cut. Something either crosses the line, or it doesn't. This didn't, and therefore could not have been a goal.

Second of all, the ball came crashing down from the top post and bounced into his hand. You think he planned that? That it was an intentional handball? Because that's the only way to call a penalty.

Third, if the ball didn't hit his hand, it's true an LA player might have picked up the rebound or something (it's impossible to say), but the ball's trajectory was already headed back out into the box. Point being, even if Convey isn't standing there, that ball doesn't make it's way into the goal without another LA touch.

Donovan was the only player with an intentional handball last night

Gamecocks625 said:

I am so stoked to see Henry tonight

Just wanted to point out that the Philadelphia Union's record is deceptive, yes we are an expansion team with a crappy record, but we've dominated almost every team we've played this year besides LA, Kansas City & NY. All of our other losses were soul crushing defeats where 1 stupid mistake cost us the game, we are much more than a lower-level MLS team despite our record.

Was happy with their play against Man-U*, but was not really much of a measuring stick as they fielded a pretty shitty team against us with the exception of the 2 young strikers who look to be great talents.

Verano

TheVisualizer said:
Just wanted to point out that the Philadelphia Union's record is deceptive, yes we are an expansion team with a crappy record, but we've dominated almost every team we've played this year besides LA, Kansas City & NY. All of our other losses were soul crushing defeats where 1 stupid mistake cost us the game, we are much more than a lower-level MLS team despite our record.

Was happy with their play against Man-U*, but was not really much of a measuring stick as they fielded a pretty shitty team against us with the exception of the 2 young strikers who look to be great talents.

Agreed. I wish more PU fans had the same opinion as you but they're just so easily led to believe that they're on par with Manchester United.

Anyways, I look forward to the Man U vs KC match this sunday however Im glad the mexican league started today. You nads-GAF should look for Pachuca's games this season. Gringo Torres and Herculez Gomez are there to kick ass and the team itself it's not that bad. Don't let the Superliga fixtures deceive you.
Their season opener is against CF America. Game starts at 5pm (PST) tomorrow.
This should be a good match btw.

Verano said:
you do know Man U consisted mostly of youngsters with some starters/bench players right?

Henry scoring again brings a smile to my face.

I was fully aware of that fact.

TheVisualizer said:

Yeah, I've only seen a few Union games so I wasn't sure how their record played out. Although what you described sounds like you have South Carolina Gamecocks football disease where you explain away loses to tougher competition after playing them tight all game. :lol jk

They do have a great home crowd and stadium. I hope teams like Seattle, Philly, Toronto, etc keep these vibrant atmospheres going strong.

daoster

Fuck Liverpool for recruiting Roy. They'll probably fire him halfway through the season when things aren't going their ways and their fans are bitching again.

Now Fulham is without a coach, weeks before the season starts, and I fear we're gonna be fighting relegation again.

Or the USA could lose a potential coach: Fulham turn to Jurgen Klinsmann

Come on Jurgen...what's better, a Southern California winter or an English winter???

thefit

America got owned 3-0, :lol at the auto gol, que pendejos right before that America got close for the first one in. I bet my cousin, the biggest America fan I know, must have been pulling his hair out. I didn't cath the second game though.

Get'sMad

Watching a replay of the Red Bulls/Man City match and goddamn these Man City away kits are so badass. Love the socks.

they remind me of
_41318338_gal_birds_puff.jpg

devilhawk said:
KC beats Manchester United 2-1. Great game for the Wizards.

I was there, it was an amazing game.

Fun fact it was the highest attendance ever for Arrowhead stadium for a soccer game... Somewhere around 51,000 only 30,000 shy of filling the whole stadium. If we get the World Cup in Kansas City that stadium will definitely be filled.

Also there was a fly over during the national anthem. I got a freedom boner.

daoster

Maurice Edu did well in a Friendly against Bolton this weekend, scoring a goal and drawing a penalty kick (which was missed by Kenny Miller)...

Here's a link to a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-hrrBaARzg

Landon Donovan starred in a new Mexican commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJRFGVBPKEw&feature=player_embedded

And Brazil also recently announced their new manager, Luiz Antonio "Mano" Menezes, who seems to be completely home-bred. Guess they wanted somebody who can bring back the Samba style, as opposed to the boring, more European style that Dunga brought about.

Menezes just announced the 24 man squad for the U.S. friendly:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Jeferson (Botafogo), Renan (Avaí), Victor (Gremio),
DEFENDERS (8): André Santos (Fenerbahçe), Daniel Alves (Barcelona), David Luís (Benfica), Henrique (Racing Santander), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Rafael (Manchester Utd.), Rever (Atlético Mineiro), Thiago Silva (AC Milan)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Carlos Eduardo (Hoffenheim), Ederson (Lyon), Hernanes (São Paulo), Jucilei (Corinthians), Lucas (Liverpool), Paulo Henrique Ganso (Santos), Ramires (Benfica), Sandro (Internacional)
FORWARDS (5): Alexandre Pato (AC Milan), André (Santos), Diego Tardelli (Atlético Mineiro), Neymar (Santos), Robinho (Santos)

Only 4 were part of the World Cup squad.

U.S. has yet to name our squad, but I'll bet they'll mostly be from the WC squad.

GDJustin

For an off-season friendly like this I would hope that at least half the call-ups, at least the guys that are gonna be on the bench, are new. They probably won't get too much international experience in their career so things like this are the only way they can get a few caps.

daoster

GDJustin said:
For an off-season friendly like this I would hope that at least half the call-ups, at least the guys that are gonna be on the bench, are new. They probably won't get too much international experience in their career so things like this are the only way they can get a few caps.

This game is coming right off the heels of a very successful World Cup, at least in terms of hype, popularity, and excitement for the U.S. team (I'll leave it up to you if you found the World Cup run for the U.S. successful or not). While the World Cup is still relatively fresh in the mind of the American public, having most of the World Cup squad will boost ticket sales and be like a "welcome back" game for the World Cup team as well.

4 years till the next World Cup. In the past 4 years, Bob Bradley has capped a LOT of U.S. players. If he's coach again, he'll most likely do the same. If its somebody new (like Klinsmann), he'll probably cycle through a lot of players as well. They'll be plenty of time for new players to get capped in the next 4 years (starting with the January camp).

xbhaskarx

Ferguson backs Bradley to make mark in Europe

"I think he did a fantastic job and I am surprised the USA have not sprinted to his house and given him a new contract, I must say that," said Ferguson ahead of Wednesday's game between United and the MLS All Stars.

Bradley has visited Manchester to study Ferguson's work at close hand and the Scotsman said a switch to a European club might be just what Bradley needed.

"He may want the challenge himself, I think that what he has achieved with the USA has been very good, he is a young man and I don't think there is anything wrong with taking a challenge in Europe or England for that matter," Ferguson said.

"I know he has been linked with Fulham and I don't think it is beyond his boundaries at all, I think he is very capable of taking on a challenge like that."

xbhaskarx

US youth striker Salgado signs with MLS
Generation adidas signing will go into the 2011 SuperDraft

Omar Salgado, the US U-20 striker who left Chivas de Guadalajara a few months ago following his decision to play for the United States, has signed with MLS as a member of Generation adidas.

The 16-year-old, who was born and raised in El Paso, Texas, had reportedly been looking to join an MLS side this season. However, his signing means he is now eligible for the 2011 MLS SuperDraft.

Lanky and standing 6'4", Salgado is a powerful presence in front of goal, but also has the footskills to handle the ball. The predominantly left-footed player is being used as a high forward by the US U-20s.

“He’s skillful with a good nose for the goal,” US U-20 coach Thomas Rongen told MLSsoccer.com in an email. “He’s fairly strong for a 16-year-old and already possesses a decent soccer IQ. He’s got a great upside.”

Salgado left Chivas last month after deciding to accept a call-up from Rongen for a US U-20 training camp. The club has a famous policy of only employing Mexicans.

"I wanted to come to the US but because of Chivas, I wasn't able to," Salgado told the Yanks-Abroad.com. "I decided I was going to tell them anyway that I was going to come over here."

Salgado is currently with the U-20 national team in Northern Ireland, where the Americans are playing in the Milk Cup international tournament. They face China on Monday, Denmark on Wednesday, and a third team to be determined by results.

Also:
U.S. Under-20 national team defeats China, 1-0, at Milk Cup. Newly-signed MLS player Omar Salgado scores the game-winner.

At 16 he's the youngest member of our U-20 team.

Pre

I really want to see us call up Omar Gonzalez from the Galaxy for the match against Brazil. He's a stud and could help patch up the back line for the 2014 run.

A glimpse at the new KC Wizards stadium to be finished by June of 2011.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/26/2109588/mls-commissioner-excited-about.html

2vdr0gi.jpg

Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber walked into the trailer, sweat dripping from his forehead and asked for a bottle of water.

Garber had just completed a tour of the construction site for the Wizards’ $160 million stadium, which is set to open in June 2011. And while the 90-degree heat got to the commissioner a little bit, it wasn’t enough to shake the smile from his face as he greeted reporters in the team’s construction headquarters across the street.

After all, Garber has seen the organization at its lowest point, when the team was up for sale from 2004 to 2006 and rumors of the team’s pending relocation were rampant.

But since then, Garber has happily watched the Wizards become a stable franchise under the direction of OnGoal LLC, which bought the team from Wizards founder Lamar Hunt in 2006.

“It’s a great success story for us,” Garber said. “If we could have an ownership group and a stadium like this in Kansas City, imagine what we could do in some of the other stadiums across the United States and Canada.

“And I say that not just because I’m here. I’ve been saying that at MLS board meetings for the last couple of years now.”

Garber said the crowd of 52,424 that attended the Wizards’ 2-1 exhibition win over Manchester United on Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium was just an example of the way the league has grown not only in Kansas City but also in the United States.

Garber remembers the days when international clubs would come to the U.S., and everyone at the game would cheer for them instead of their MLS teams. So he was genuinely pleased when Wizards forward Kei Kamara’s game-winning goal in the 42nd minute was greeted with loud applause Sunday.

“Years ago when we played games like this, everybody would be there rooting for an international club, and there would be very few MLS fans,” Garber said. “But when Kamara scored that goal, that stadium erupted. There were people there rooting for the Kansas City Wizards."

That would appear to be true. Rob Thomson, Wizards vice president of marketing and communications, said Monday that the team sold 700 season tickets for next season after their win against Manchester United.

According to Garber, the excitement that’s building about soccer here is all part of MLS’ master plan to be one of the top soccer leagues in the world one day and compete with the other big time sports in this country.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/26/2109588/mls-commissioner-excited-about.html#ixzz0ur4v13HF

daoster

Pre said:
I really want to see us call up Omar Gonzalez from the Galaxy for the match against Brazil. He's a stud and could help patch up the back line for the 2014 run.

All signs point to him having a future in the U.S. team, but he probably won't be playing the Brazil match...as I've said, this is basically the "Welcome back!" game for the US World Cup team...

and I hope Salgado and Mwanga (and Najar if he decides to play for the U.S.) aren't hyped up too much to the levels that Adu and Altidore were when they were young (though Mwanga isn't THAT young). Not to say Adu and Altidore are bad players, but they were hyped up beyond belief...American soccer fans are too obsessed with "The American Pele" or "the American Messi," and when they don't perform as we expect them to, the bitterness creeps in.

Speaking of Altidore though, it seems that Ives Galarcep of www.soccerbyives.com sees that the Turkish club Besiktas are in the front runners to buy Altidore. Besiktas are coached by former Real Madrid manager Bernd Schuster.

Mindlog

daoster said:
American soccer fans are too obsessed with "The American Pele" or "the American Messi," and when they don't perform as we expect them to, the bitterness creeps in.

Quit badmouthing Buddle! ;]

Is MLS now the best supported US/Canada Soccer League from a dedicated facilities standpoint?

Mindlog said:
Is MLS now the best supported US/Canada Soccer League from a dedicated facilities standpoint?

I believe so.

Currently the Wizards are playing at a baseball stadium and I think a few other teams are as well. Before the baseball stadium the Wizards played at the Chiefs' Arrowhead stadium.

Verano

Mindlog said:
Quit badmouthing Buddle! ;]

Not just Buddle but Altidore, Findley, and Gomez haven't done squat. Landycakes, Bradley jr. and Clint gone the extra mile to score for the US and play godly.

I really don't see the reason why Findley is even there. He missed a clear one in the WC that anyone could've scored from GAF. He's better used as a winger than a forward for his speed.
Ayways, looking forward to AMerica fuck yeah vs the Canaries aug. 10th.

I'm very interested in MLS bringing a team to the southeast. I saw this on a chat with the MLS commissioner:

Commissioner Don Garber:
We're very focused on adding our 20th team, which more than likely would not enter MLS until 2013 at the earliest.

Commissioner Don Garber:
Beyond 20, we continue to have interest in Atlanta, San Antonio, San Diego, Detroit, and even we hope, in Miami.

Looks like Atlanta is where it would happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom