• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumo390

Every time I try and give soccer a chance, the team I want to win ends up losing. Once every 4 years is good enough for me. :lol

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Man U. wants to single handily destroy interest of soccer in the US so that England never draws to them again.

Wizards beat em. So they failed in that regard.

sumo390 said:
Every time I try and give soccer a chance, the team I want to win ends up losing. Once every 4 years is good enough for me. :lol

Should have watched the Wizards game. It's not about winning at this stage in the game... our teams and players aren't as good as England's or other nations. MLS has gotten better but it's got a bit of ways to go, and one way to help that is tune in and support.

UltimaPooh said:
Wizards beat em. So they failed in that regard.

Should have watched the Wizards game. It's not about winning at this stage in the game... our teams and players aren't as good as England's or other nations. MLS has gotten better but it's got a bit of ways to go, and one way to help that is tune in and support.
FC Dallas for life, they are going to stun Inter Milan.

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
To those who follow MLS closely: if the league continues to expand, do you think it will eventually have multiple tiers with relegation?

I think Americans would warm up to relegation if they saw it happen in one of our sports...I man, it can make the race to escape the bottom more exciting than the race to the top sometimes.

But here's probably why it wouldn't work: The sport in America isn't even popular to the point where all the MLS teams are making a profit currently. Imagine the L.A. Galaxy spending all that money on David Beckham, and then being relegated to a league that's more poorly supported than the MLS. An investor would look at that possibility and say nuh-uh in investing in an MLS team.

oneHeero

As someone who doesnt watch football at all but gained interest during the World cup, is the MLS squad really the best players in America? I figure Man U is good, are they considered the best in their league? Does the MLS have better players that havent been subbed in?

zoku88

oneHeero said:
As someone who doesnt watch football at all but gained interest during the World cup, is the MLS squad really the best players in America? I figure Man U is good, are they considered the best in their league? Does the MLS have better players that havent been subbed in?
Well, soccer is a team sport. So a good team needs time to actually be a team.

But yea, there are good players on the bench.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
ShallNoiseUpon said:
Sigh. Figured the lack of preparation as an All-Star team would come to show itself in set pieces.

Yeah, some of the players just got to Houston late yesterday. No way they would be playing like a team within 24 hours.

neoanarch

oneHeero said:

This is a hastily thrown together team that probably had one day of practice together vs one of the best clubs in the world. I expect it to end 4-1.

oneHeero

Alright, just seeing if its worth paying attention to the game. After the World Cup, I've somehow become interested in watching more football.

oneHeero

UltimaPooh said:
There's a USA vs Brazil game August 10th...
Pardon my lack of knowledge regarding football, but whats the difference between USA or MLS All Stars? Are they the same pool of players? Is it the same as NBA All Stars and USA Dream Team?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
oneHeero said:
Pardon my lack of knowledge regarding football, but whats the difference between USA or MLS All Stars? Are they the same pool of players? Is it the same as NBA All Stars and USA Dream Team?

The MLS Allstars are composed of people who play in the MLS. They could be from any country. The US team are all Americans.

cruets

oneHeero said:

all star team is composed of only mls based players, us mens national team can draw from overseas based us players like dempsey and altidore

xbhaskarx

oneHeero said:

Only 4 of the 23 members of the US World Cup team even play in the MLS...
Donovan and Buddle (MLS All Stars, subs)
Bornstein (MLS All Star, injured)
Findley (not on the MLS All Star team)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom