• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
jamesinclair said:
Are you sure you dont have Telefutura?

90% of homes in the country get it. It's OTA and on basic cable.

Yeah I'm sure. I only have Univision. It looks like I'll be able to catch some of the games on Galavision.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FYI the first SuperLiga game is on at 8PM EST / 5PM PST on Telefutura. Most people probably have it as basic cable.

The 2nd SuperLiga game is on at I think 9:30 EST / 6:30 PM PST on Galavision. Less people probably have this than Telefutura, but it's still pretty common. I have both channels as part of San Francisco basic cable for example.

Obviously both of these television broadcasts will be in Spanish, BUT English live streams of BOTH full matches will be available on mlssoccer.com and http://www.superliga2010.com/. No idea what the quality will be for the streams but probably not great.

Mindlog

GDJustin said:
FYI the first SuperLiga game is on at 8PM EST / 5PM PST on Telefutura. Most people probably have it as basic cable.

The 2nd SuperLiga game is on at I think 9:30 EST / 6:30 PM PST on Galavision. Less people probably have this than Telefutura, but it's still pretty common. I have both channels as part of San Francisco basic cable for example.

Obviously both of these television broadcasts will be in Spanish, BUT English live streams of BOTH full matches will be available on mlssoccer.com and http://www.superliga2010.com/. No idea what the quality will be for the streams but probably not great.

Thanks for the heads up!

sazabirules said:
Yeah I'm sure. I only have Univision. It looks like I'll be able to catch some of the games on Galavision.

Where do you live?

And as someone else pointed out, they will be streamed for free online in english

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
jamesinclair said:
Where do you live?

And as someone else pointed out, they will be streamed for free online in english

I live in Virginia and am getting tv through my school since I live in a dorm. They provide random channels. I'll just watch the streams.

daoster

Man...congrats to the USA Men's team for their ESPY award for Best Sports Moment of the Year...they even beat out the Saints winning the Super Bowl this year.

AMAZING!

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
Man...congrats to the USA Men's team for their ESPY award for Best Sports Moment of the Year...they even beat out the Saints winning the Super Bowl this year.

AMAZING!

Whoa, really?
I refuse to watch any awards show so I missed it... is it online somewhere?

what a stupid name New York's team has... a sponsor's name.. Red Bulls

it's like that other club named after Bayers Asprin ... what a headache

could be worse, the sponsor could have been Wendy's

The New York Wendys!

xbhaskarx

gutter_trash said:

It's almost as stupid as the Chicago Bulls, who use a red Bull as their logo, yet get no financial compensation for doing so.

gutter_trash said:

The New York Wendys!

Thinking of Wendy's five piece chicken nuggets while watching a game...I can swing that.

ATF487

gutter_trash said:

The New York Wendys!

New York Baconators sounds pretty good to me, very menacing

shoplifter

UltimaPooh said:
I love how we beat you guys.

KC REPRESENT!
Jesus, we were fucking horrible in the first half. Gaven should have had the night off, he's played something like 980 of the last 1000 minutes we've played and something was bound to give with five matches in 14 days.

GDJustin

neoanarch said:

Yeah, It should have been 6 or 7, too. It was an absolute route and I turned it off well before the end.

Thank God New England eeked out a 1-0 victory so the US wasn't completely embarrassed tonight.

I haven't really seen Chicago play this year, but their goalie just looked awful. No situational awareness of any kind. Although to be fair there's only so much he can do about those easy, unhussled crosses.

Edit: The crazy thing is Morelia is lower ranked than UNAM in their home league.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
fuck yeah Morelia:lol :lol :lol :lol
Man, I never expected Chicago fuego to lose to Morelia at all nor did I expect Morelia to take this game very serious even the mexican announcers/morelia players were surprised seeing how easy the goals were. That golazo from Rafa Lugo Marquez was the best goal I've ever seen in the Superliga. I honestly thought Fire was gonna tie the game 1-1.

Well these arethe highlights of the Chicago Fire vs Morelia:
Morelia 5-1 Fire
Cue doomy muzik.:lol

Mindlog

GDJustin said:
Yeah, It should have been 6 or 7, too. It was an absolute route and I turned it off well before the end.

Thank God New England eeked out a 1-0 victory so the US wasn't completely embarrassed tonight.

I haven't really seen Chicago play this year, but their goalie just looked awful. No situational awareness of any kind. Although to be fair there's only so much he can do about those easy, unhussled crosses.

Edit: The crazy thing is Morelia is lower ranked than UNAM in their home league.

I've seen 2 Fire games and that sounds about right :F

That was ugly.

The whole USMNT was at the ESPY's so of course they were getting something. I have a question for anyone that watched. Did Pacquiao attend?

GDJustin

FYI SuperLiga action is on again tonight (right now( on telefutura or streaming on mlssoccer.com.

Houston is ahead, amazingly. Against the team probably most likely to win it all.

Next match starts in 90 min (7:30 PST) on Galavision or streaming online.

xbhaskarx

World Cup Final draws more viewers than World Series and NBA Finals in the US

The 2010 NBA Finals averaged 18 million viewers.
 The 2009 World series averaged 19.4 million viewers.
 The 2010 World Cup final drew 24.3 million viewers.

The 24.3 million figure is the average number watching at any one time during the telecast. The Nielsen Co. estimates a total of 111.6 million viewers watched at least part of the match.

By the same token, all six games of the 2009 World Series and all seven games of the 2010 NBA Finals were in prime time, when a whole lot more people are watching TV than on Sunday afternoon.
It certainly says something that Spain and the Netherlands did so well in comparison to legendary American sports franchises like the Yankees and the Lakers.

RBH

daoster said:
whatz.gif

mokeyjoe

If Bradley were to go to Fulham, and perhaps bring his son in as rumoured, does anyone think it may raise the profile of the club at all in the US? I mean they already have Clint Dempsey and Eddie Johnson. Because if so it might be a worthwhile financial move for Fulham to consider - merchandise etc.

daoster

mokeyjoe said:
If Bradley were to go to Fulham, and perhaps bring his son in as rumoured, does anyone think it may raise the profile of the club at all in the US? I mean they already have Clint Dempsey and Eddie Johnson. Because if so it might be a worthwhile financial move for Fulham to consider - merchandise etc.

At one point they had Brian McBride, Carlos Bocanegra, and Kasey Keller on the team...as I've said before, they already have a large profile in the U.S., bringing Michael Bradley wouldn't raise their profile anymore (bringing Bob Bradley probably will though). They shouldn't be making a management decision based financial possibilities...they should be making a management decision based on who can build on from last season and get them into Europa again.

And I haven't heard any rumor about Michael Bradley being linked to Fulham...I've heard rumors of him going to Everton (hopefully that's true), or Blackpool (doomed to fade into relegation). Haven't heard anything on Fulham yet.

Slizz

gutter_trash said:
hey I need advice:
I want to get a home Philly Union jersey;
the authentic is over 110 bucks and has the US Flag patch on the left arm

http://www.mlsgear.com/4957-nv.html

the regular one is 70 bucks but does not have the US Flag patch on the left arm.

http://www.mlsgear.com/57254-nv.html

I would like get to Authentic but maybe it's pricey for just a patch

what do you think GAF?

decide for me

No patch thats a ridiculous mark-up

stupei

The women's U-20's World Cup started this week.

Our girls have already tied Ghana (heh) in their opener 1-1 and absolutely slaughtered the Swiss today 5-0. UCLA Junior Sydney Leroux scored a hat trick today as well as the lone goal against Ghana.

The game against a very solid South Korean side to determine who makes it out of the group has actually been added to the schedule on ESPN2, bumped up from its original placement on ESPNU.

So though I'd let USA Soccer GAF know that there is an American team playing an important game on national television next week. Wednesday noon.

GDJustin

Shame the San Jose friendly just ended 0-0... I don't know if Tottenham was playing any of their stars, but SJ was absolutely the better team out there today.

I'm an SJ supporter so it makes me feel encouraged about the 2nd half of this season. Although we do play Galaxy twice.

Stuck

GDJustin said:
Shame the San Jose friendly just ended 0-0... I don't know if Tottenham was playing any of their stars, but SJ was absolutely the better team out there today.

I'm an SJ supporter so it makes me feel encouraged about the 2nd half of this season. Although we do play Galaxy twice.

I'm going to try and go to that Earthquakes vs. Galaxy game on August 21st. Should be fun.

But yeah, enjoyed watching the Tottenham game today. SJ looked fairly decent against the EPL team.

After watching all the World Cup matches, I didn't realize how much I would miss the fancy camerawork and high def/high speed shots. The friendly today just seemed a lot less visually epic (but still a lot of fun to watch).

Slizz

Stuck said:
After watching all the World Cup matches, I didn't realize how much I would miss the fancy camerawork and high def/high speed shots. The friendly today just seemed a lot less visually epic (but still a lot of fun to watch).

The All-Star game on Wednesday; MLS Allstars vs Man Utd. will most likely be on par with World Cup camera-work, probably less cameras but in real HD and what not. It's being played in a real nice NFL stadium in Houston as well.

Stuck

Slizz said:
The All-Star game on Wednesday; MLS Allstars vs Man Utd. will most likely be on par with World Cup camera-work, probably less cameras but in real HD and what not. It's being played in a real nice NFL stadium in Houston as well.

Nice, I'm all about that. I didn't even realize the match was so soon. I will definitely be watching this in front of a nice TV then.

xbhaskarx

Good news, Howard will be back... he mentioned possibly retiring from international competition after the WC loss.

Howard eyes 'grind' of 4 more years

U.S. goalkeeper Tim Howard is ready to grind out the next four-year cycle heading into the 2014 World Cup.

"What's gone on in the last four years and where I feel like I'm at in my career, I think I'd be silly not to try and tackle the next four years and give it everything I have," Howard told The Associated Press on Friday. "I feel fitter than I ever have at 31. I feel like I'm playing the best I have."

Howard allowed five goals in four games, with 16 saves, in his first World Cup as a starter. He acknowledged there were times the last couple of years he wasn't sure if he wanted to stay on the national team through 2014.

"It's a grind. It's hard," he said. "It's a big commitment, a big responsibility."

Fifa 2010 World Cup standings

Fifa's rankings take into account group stage results, progress in the competition and the quality of opposition.

1 Spain, 2 Netherlands, 3 Germany, 4 Uruguay, 5 Argentina, 6 Brazil, 7 Ghana, 8 Paraguay
9 Japan, 10 Chile, 11 Portugal, 12 United States, 13 England, 14 Mexico, 15 South Korea, 16 Slovakia
17 Ivory Coast, 18 Slovenia, 19 Switzerland, 20 South Africa, 21 Australia, 22 New Zealand, 23 Serbia, 24 Denmark
25 Greece, 26 Italy, 27 Nigeria, 28 Algeria, 29 France, 30 Honduras, 31 Cameroon, 32 North Korea

FIFA has the US up from 14th to 13th in the latest world rankings
wtf behind Egypt and Greece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom