• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

MLS news

To satisfy requirements in the new collective bargaining agreement, MLS has named seven additional "all-stars." None will be in uniform for Wednesday's match against Manchester United at Reliant Stadium in Houston but will receive all-star bonuses. They are goalkeepers Kasey Keller (Seattle) and Jimmy Nielsen (Kansas City), midfielders Joel Lindpere (New York), Robbie Rogers (Columbus) and Freddie Ljungberg (Seattle), and forwards Freddy Montero (Seattle) and Conor Casey (Colorado).

According to the league, those seven were the "next highest in the combined weighted voting at their positions for a 32-man roster with the same breakdown by position as last year" (four goalkeepers, seven defenders, 14 midfielders and seven forwards).
Midfielder Kyle Beckerman and defender Jonathan Bornstein, named to the initial squad but unavailable because of injury, are also inactive and among the 32.

*At halftime Wednesday, the league will conduct a coin toss to determine the first pick in the expansion draft and other player-dispersal procedures as they pertain to the 2011 newcomers Vancouver Whitecaps and Portland Timbers. The winner of the coin flip will choose first priority in one of the following mechanisms, with the teams then alternating choices through the priority list:
1. First pick in the expansion draft
2. First pick in the MLS draft
3. USL player priority on opening of signing period
4. Allocation ranking
5. Designated Player ranking
6. Discovery player ranking
7. Lottery ranking
8. Waiver/re-entry draft ranking

*With Vancouver and Portland entering the league next year and, for obvious geographical purposes, joining the Western Conference, two current clubs from that division will shift to the Eastern, Commissioner Don Garber said.

xbhaskarx

captmcblack said:
REFORM THE NEW YORK COSMOS

That may happen soon...

Major League Soccer has received a World Cup bounce and wants to create a second team in New York but will not get carried away by the boost in interest in the game, commissioner Don Garber told Reuters.

French striker Thierry Henry recently signed for MLS team New York Red Bulls, joining David Beckham as one of the North American league’s front men and Garber believes MLS will gain from a new club in the Big Apple.

New York headquartered-MLS, which began play in 1996, will have 19 teams by 2012.

"We are very focused on trying to have that 20th team in New York - a second team in New York, a rival for the Red Bulls," he said in an interview Tuesday.

"We have got a lot of work to do to achieve that. We may or may not achieve that but that is our goal and our main focus for the 20th team. That would be pretty cool," he said, confirming any new team would be in New York City proper.

The Red Bulls are based in Harrison, New Jersey, about 12 miles west of Manhattan.

The MLS have already held talks in the past with the Wilpon family who own Major League Baseball’s New York Mets.

The Mets ownership needs to have NOTHING to do with that shit. Same for the Knicks ownership, actually. I'd like it if a new investor decided to back a hypothetical New York Cosmos team...

daoster

Sacha Kljestan just scored his first goal for Anderlecht against Welsh side The New Saints F.C.! It was a Champions League qualifying game too! Congrats to him

Too bad there's no video :(

xbhaskarx

Attendance figures for MLS and other US leagues

MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER G Total Average
Seattle Sounders FC 10 361,590 36,159
Philadelphia Union 5 113,097 22,619
Toronto FC 9 184,449 20,494
Los Angeles Galaxy 8 162,523 20,315
Real Salt Lake 9 149,685 16,632
New York Red Bulls 8 130,214 16,277
Houston Dynamo 9 144,028 16,003
DC United 9 134,543 14,949
Chicago Fire 7 103,446 14,778
Chivas USA 7 101,155 14,451
Columbus Crew 9 126,255 14,028
Colorado Rapids 7 95,123 13,589
New England Revolution 8 94,375 11,797
FC Dallas 8 89,848 11,231
Kansas City Wizards 8 80,047 10,006
San Jose Earthquakes 7 66,607 9,515

MLS TOTAL 128 2,136,985 16,695

Clydefrog said:
MLS All-Stars vs Man Utd tonight on ESPN2 8:30 PM Eastern time

One of my father's co-workers is taking the entire day off to go get hammered and later fall down in the stands. I wish I were in Texas, I'd be right there with him. :lol

leroidys

xbhaskarx said:
Attendance figures for MLS and other US leagues

MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER G Total Average
Seattle Sounders FC 10 361,590 36,159
Philadelphia Union 5 113,097 22,619
Toronto FC 9 184,449 20,494
Los Angeles Galaxy 8 162,523 20,315
Real Salt Lake 9 149,685 16,632
New York Red Bulls 8 130,214 16,277
Houston Dynamo 9 144,028 16,003
DC United 9 134,543 14,949
Chicago Fire 7 103,446 14,778
Chivas USA 7 101,155 14,451
Columbus Crew 9 126,255 14,028
Colorado Rapids 7 95,123 13,589
New England Revolution 8 94,375 11,797
FC Dallas 8 89,848 11,231
Kansas City Wizards 8 80,047 10,006
San Jose Earthquakes 7 66,607 9,515

MLS TOTAL 128 2,136,985 16,695

Sounders :D

Pastry

Banned
jjasper said:
Makes the most sense. I would guess other locations considered would be Nashville or Charlotte.

I disagree entirely. Nothing makes more sense than an MLS team in San Antonio, it is a city of 1.4 million that is 56% hispanic. In addition San Antonio only has one professional team that the city goes apeshit over. Having an MLS team in San Antonio is a no brainer and without a doubt it would be wildly succesful. If the Spurs corporation had their finger in it and used their clout in the city then the team would be pretty well supported. There was a previous attempt to get an MLS team here but the old mayor was a jackass and squashed it.

Subitai

Pastry said:
I disagree entirely. Nothing makes more sense than an MLS team in San Antonio, it is a city of 1.4 million that is 56% hispanic. In addition San Antonio only has one professional team that the city goes apeshit over. Having an MLS team in San Antonio is a no brainer and without a doubt it would be wildly succesful. If the Spurs corporation had their finger in it and used their clout in the city then the team would be pretty well supported. There was a previous attempt to get an MLS team here but the old mayor was a jackass and squashed it.
So, what about the new mayor? They'd just play in the Alamo Dome then?

Ryck

I still think it is funny that here in San Diego we still don't have a team or anything in the works despite being the city with the highest WC10 ratings in the country.

jjasper

Pastry said:

We were talking about the Southeast. I don't really think of San Antonio as the southeast. I am sure a team in San Antonio would to well.

Pastry

Banned
Subitai said:
So, what about the new mayor? They'd just play in the Alamo Dome then?

They were talking about either using the Alamo Dome or building an entirely new stadium. Using the Dome would save them some money initially but that thing is so old I feel like whenever we get a team they will end up building a new stadium. Apparently our new mayor is in support of the idea of an MLS team. The Haitian national team played at my university here in San Antonio after the earthquake and the game ended up having pretty stellar attendance, raising a significant amount of money for the Haitian team. Here is an article that mentions what went down with the previous negotiations with the MLS. http://www.matchfitusa.com/2010/04/mls-dream-is-alive-in-san-antonio.html

jjasper said:
We were talking about the Southeast. I don't really think of San Antonio as the southeast. I am sure a team in San Antonio would to well.

I just noticed that, got confused/excited when I saw the commissioner mention SA. Either way MLS in San Antonio would be great :D

xbhaskarx

To those who follow MLS closely: if the league continues to expand, do you think it will eventually have multiple tiers with relegation?

leroidys

xbhaskarx said:
To those who follow MLS closely: if the league continues to expand, do you think it will eventually have multiple tiers with relegation?

I don't follow it that closely, but I really doubt that this would be something that would fly with American sportsfans.

xbhaskarx said:

Well, the commissioner has no plans to form a single table, so that kills the idea of relegation right there. Also, it would take some massive restructuring to make it happen on a number of levels. I know they have kicked around the idea of developmental leagues and all, but I honestly think they are simply trying to make MLS a viable league it terms of financing, quality of play, and increasing the fanbase.

That said, I'd love it if all major sports leagues in the US had some form of relegation. Especially the NFL. We could dump the Detroit Lions into some crap college conference like the Big Ten.

xbhaskarx

M.L.S. All-Star Game Sells Out

Wednesday night’s M.L.S. All-Star Game against Manchester United of the English Premier League at Reliant Stadium in Houston became a sell out on Tuesday, with more than 70,000 fans expected to attend the match (it will also be televised live by ESPN2 at 8:30 p.m. Eastern and shown in a number of countries). The league said that tickets were sold to people in 41 states and 5 countries.

MLS All-Star Team vs Man U is also on ESPN3 for anyone who gets that service.

Edit: I was watching World Cup recap videos earlier today (including the reactions to Donovan's goal set to the Rudy music) and I dunno, I think this World Cup really "awakened" a love for this game inside me, I can't seem to get enough of it. I think it is really important to keep it with a higher profile in this country, stuff like Football at Fenway needs to be AT LEAST yearly, with clubs that will draw crowds. Getting people watching the sport and falling in love with it like I did is the only way it will ever be more popular here.

The coverage on MUTV (via justintv) is awesome :lol Loved the A-Team theme for the intro.

"The dome is closed and the air conditioning is on. You've got to love this country" :lol

xbhaskarx

Does anyone know where people can watch the Milk Cup final online on Friday? The US is in the final... I couldn't get this BBC video to work.

Sweet goal by Toronto FC's Fuad Ibrahim gives USA u-20s a 2-1 lead over Denmark in 78th minute of Milk Cup

U-20 update: Denmark draws even in the 85th on what appeared to be a headed own goal: 2-2

USA scores in the 88th! 3-2

USA under-20s win, 3-2, advance to Milk Cup final Friday in Northern Ireland

zoku88

Calcaneus said:
That's just demoralizing.
Don't worry, it will just be like the WC >.>

EDIT: Nice block.

Isn't it a bad idea for a club to face an all-stars team? I mean, for a team sport, knowing how to work as a team is pretty important. A club would probably be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom