• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Controversial 'Capello Index' published

The controversial 'Capello Index' - ranking all the players at the World Cup based on their performances - has been published, though England boss Fabio Capello has demanded it be removed from the internet.

The index uses a system of analysing player performances that was devised by the "Bocconi School of Management", in conjuction with Capello.

It claims to be "a statistical analysis system developed in order to offer a universal and completely objective result."

Capello was roundly criticised when the ratings system was revealed before the World Cup and at the behest of the English Football Asscoiation, it was agreed not to publish the index until after the finals.

I'm sure Capello wants it removed because he's staying on as England's coach and the English players didn't fare well in the rankings...

The US midfield on the other hand...
wFZha.jpg

(Dempsey is 17th at 61.68, Howard 4th among GKs at 64.14)

xbhaskarx

I wonder how much of those rankings take into account distance covered, because our midfielders ran like crazy, as they usually do (I think Donovan and Dempsey were 1 and 3 at the Confed Cup).

World Cup distance covered (km) after 4 games:
pfvQh.jpg

Edit: It's funny how the top of the list is dominated by a seven countries: US, Germany, Ghana, Mexico, South Korea, England, Uruguay.

Atlagev

TheVisualizer said:
you obviously weren't paying attention to Egypt's great run in the World Cup...:D

Egypt has won the last three African Cup of Nations tournaments (2006 when they hosted, and in 2008 and 2010) without losing a game (and they've only drawn twice). That's a record of 15-2-0 (although they won the 2006 final on penalties after a 0-0 draw, so I guess you could say 14-3-0). In the 2010 tournament, they beat Algeria 4-0 (in the semifinals) and Ghana 1-0 (in the final), something the U.S. couldn't do. Also, in 2010 World Cup qualifying, they only missed out due to losing a playoff match with Algeria 1-0 in Sudan.

My point is, Egypt is a pretty damn good team. :)

xbhaskarx

ATF487 said:
Bradley better than Alonso? wtf

Yes, Bradley is WAY better than Alonso, because a difference of .03 is obviously statistically significant.
/sarcasm

Also, you understand that performance over four games based on some stat doesn't necessarily mean X "better than" Y, right? Joey Votto (1.005 OPS) better than Albert Pujols (.982), WTF?

That said, Michael Bradley had a great tournament and has been praised by analysts in many countries, and even Beckham! Hell some even took their praise too far, like The Herald naming Bradley best newcomer over Muller (now that deserves a wtf).

Bradley has become really solid, I expect even bigger things from him in the future.

ATF487

xbhaskarx said:
Yes, Bradley is WAY better than Alonso, because a difference of .03 is obviously statistically significant.
/sarcasm

Also, you understand that performance over four games based on some stat doesn't necessarily mean X "better than" Y, right? Joey Votto (1.005 OPS) better than Albert Pujols (.982), WTF?

That said, Michael Bradley had a great tournament and has been praised by analysts in many countries, and even Beckham! Hell some even took their praise too far, like The Herald naming Bradley best newcomer over Muller (now that deserves a wtf).

Bradley has become really solid, I expect even bigger things from him in the future.

You know, it'd be nice if you could be a little less condescending. You kind of sound like a huge douche.

I didn't see the explanation for the rating, but even then, it's just that I consider Alonso to be one of the best midfield players in the world, while I think Bradley is an up and coming talent. A .03 improvement in some arbitrary scale was still surprising because I've watched a lot of both of them, and I still think Bradley has some rough edges; he covers a lot of ground but he's not always patient enough to get the attack started. He has all the tools to become one of the best players at his position but I don't think he's there yet

xbhaskarx

It wouldn't matter if the rating system was unquestionably a useful tool for judging performance AND the difference between the ratings for those two individuals was enormous instead of .03, because a sample size of 4 games is completely meaningless.

NH Apache

Banned
As an aside, MLS is currently having inter-league play. Seattle Sounders are seriously beating the crap out of Boca right now, a scoreline I certainly did not expect.

Edit: Conned by FSC into thinking it was live.....

Seattle is actually about to play Celtic. Go MLS!

daoster

Some more promising news for our 2014 cycle...

After over a year of not playing due to injuries (he would have been a big help for the WC!), Schalke 04 midfielder Jermaine Jones has started playing again!

JONES RETURNS TO ACTION WITH SCHALKE

Don't know who Jermaine Jones is? He's a German-American who grew up in Germany and was featured in some games for the German U-20 team (and some non-FIFA sanctioned friendlies with the senior German team too!), but switched allegiance to the USA when he was frustrated with the lack of call ups for the German team.

Along with Charlie Davies, I was hoping Jones would have recovered in time for the the 2010 World Cup, but I am praying that Jones stays healthy for the 2014 cycle. At 28, he's a little old, but he probably still has it in him for one World Cup!

xbhaskarx

I wonder which new guys will be brought in for the upcoming friendly with Brazil...

Jones was with the team for the Netherlands friendly, even though he was still injured at the time, right?

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
I wonder which new guys will be brought in for the upcoming friendly with Brazil...

Jones was with the team for the Netherlands friendly, even though he was still injured at the time, right?

I think it's too soon for new guys...we might see guys from the initial 30-man call up, but I don't think we'll see anybody totally new. We should start seeing those people in the January camp and Gold Cup next year.

And yeah, Jones showed up when the USMNT were training for the Netherlands team, to get to know his potential teammates. I think at that time, he was still hoping to get better in time for the World Cup.

Wessiej said:
So Altidore might be going to Ajax...

Is that a place where he can get the burn needed to develop as a striker?
Hopefully wherever he ends up, he can actually get on the field and stay there/play well, as opposed to his time in Villareal.

daoster

captmcblack said:
Is that a place where he can get the burn needed to develop as a striker?
Hopefully wherever he ends up, he can actually get on the field and stay there/play well, as opposed to his time in Villareal.

The Dutch system would be a perfect place for him to hone his technical abilities and improve as a player. Problem is, Ajax is broke, and they want him on loan, but Villareal want to sell him, far beyond what Ajax are probably comfortable with paying.

There's also another rumor that Turkish club Besiktas is also interested in signing Jozy.

U.S. Defender Jonathan Bornstein has signed a preliminary contract with Mexican club U.A.N.L. (Tigres).

Tigres ficha a Jonathan Bornstein, seleccionado estadounidense

From what I understand, he'll join them formally in January and sign a 4 year contract. Good move, he was probably stagnating at Chivas USA, and maybe he can use his time in Mexico to position himself for a European jump.

And guys...I need to reiterate this one more time...all USA fans should read Soccer in a Football World: The Story of America's Forgotten Game. It's really opened my eyes about the sport in this country.

I mean, it's frankly ridiculous how the USSF (sorry, USSFA) was ran before Alan Rothenberg took over, and it really shows why we didn't qualify between 1950-1990...sure, lack of skill and interest in the sport were probably factors, but lack of organization was probably the major factor.

And for all the flack the college system gets, without it, all our players probably would have been playing indoor soccer rules in Italia '90.

The book has even made me consider supporting the MLS a little bit more....at the very least, I'll watch the Game of the Week on ESPN. :p

daoster said:
The book has even made me consider supporting the MLS a little bit more....at the very least, I'll watch the Game of the Week on ESPN. :p

I'm all for supporting the MLS. I even drink Sierra Mist...proud sponsor of Major League Socccer :lol

I really hope Henry's first MLS start will get a ESPN nod. I can't wait to see him slice through MLS defenses. Hopefully NYRB has enough of a midfield to serve him properly.

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
And guys...I need to reiterate this one more time...all USA fans should read Soccer in a Football World: The Story of America's Forgotten Game. It's really opened my eyes about the sport in this country.

I ordered it on your recommendation.

Has anyone here read Soccernomics? It's like Moneyball + Freakonomics. I really enjoyed it, aside from the dull chapter on English fans and clubs they support.

daoster said:

:lol
Hey the MLS has been great, almost every member of the US team started out there.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Wessiej said:
So Altidore might be going to Ajax...

That's probably about the right level for him right now. A good team, aren't they in Champions League as well?

I'd want Jones to be able to do Bradley's role, so Bradley can take on more of an offensive role. I was impressed cause I got the impression earlier that Bradley was mostly a bruiser from seeing him play earlier with the US. I was more impressed that he managed to not get sent off at the WC.

woodchuck

Gamecocks625 said:
I'm all for supporting the MLS. I even drink Sierra Mist...proud sponsor of Major League Socccer :lol

I really hope Henry's first MLS start will get a ESPN nod. I can't wait to see him slice through MLS defenses. Hopefully NYRB has enough of a midfield to serve him properly.

man, it would have been awesome to see Schelotto and Henry on the same team

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Gamecocks625 said:

Henry's first game is going to be on FSC.

ZZMitch said:
Just founds out about FSC (channel 126 for me), I was very pleasantly surprised that it was on for free!

Soccer all day!

Welcome to the club! I usually have that or GOLTV on.

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
I ordered it on your recommendation.

Has anyone here read Soccernomics? It's like Moneyball + Freakonomics. I really enjoyed it, aside from the dull chapter on English fans and clubs they support.

Soccernomics is also an amazing book that made me rethink some preconceived ideas about soccer. Some ideas were kinda hard to swallow (such as Norway being the biggest soccer fans), but overall, great read.

It also made me laugh, cause they try to diss England every chance they get. They predicted, step by step EXACTLY how England would fail. Sure, England might have failed earlier than expected, but the steps were THERE.

Hey the MLS has been great, almost every member of the US team started out there.

No doubt, the MLS has been a positive for our national team, and I'm thankful that the teams use a lot of Americans, as opposed to past attempts at professional soccer leagues in America where almost NO Americans played (another reason to be thankful for our college system which allowed Americans to continue to play)....but doesn't mean I have to enjoy it.

Still, like I said though, after reading Soccer in a Football World, I will probably make an attempt to support the MLS more.

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
So it looks like no go for Bob Bradley to Fulham...Soccernet is reporting that Martin Jol has agreed to terms and will be revealed as the next Fulham manager before Monday.

Martin Jol Agrees to Terms

Apparently there is still a vacancy at Fulham, based on this:

Jol set to 'snub Fulham'

Martin Jol is prepared to snub Fulham and remain at Ajax, providing the club allow him to strengthen the squad this summer.

Jol is reportedly Fulham's first choice to replace Roy Hodgson, who has joined Liverpool, but the Dutchman has hinted he will remain in Amsterdam after talks with the Ajax hierarchy.

"They (Fulham) were interested but in principle I will stay at Ajax," Jol told Amsterdam-based newspaper De Telegraaf.

Jol had been told he was not able to recruit this summer until Holland right-back Gregory van der Wiel and Uruguay striker Luis Suarez had departed - freeing up funds.

But, following talks with financial director Jeroen Slop and chief executive Rik van den Boog, Jol has been reassured he can bring in a cheap right-wing option and then spend more if the likes of Van der Wiel and Suarez leave.

...or maybe this:

Ajax blocking Jol Fulham move

Martin Jol's appointment as Fulham manager is being held up by Ajax's refusal to negotiate over compensation.
It is understood that Jol wants to succeed Roy Hodgson at Craven Cottage but his path is being blocked by Ajax, who are keen to retain the 54-year-old. The development contradicts earlier reports in the Dutch media that stated Jol is prepared to snub Fulham, providing Ajax give him the funds to strengthen the squad this summer.

xbhaskarx

Google Charts Which Countries Really Care About the World Cup
querychanges.png

Google's engineers looked at how much a country's search traffic was impacted when its side took the field in the World Cup. They figured it was a good proxy for national fandom, and it looks like they're right. Notoriously soccer-crazed Brazilians turned off the Google in the largest numbers during the country's ultimately ill-fated run. Us Americans? We eeked out a positive fan rating, but just barely.

Lastly, what's up with Honduras?

Hmm, I don't know what this proves, I probably did more google searches during the World Cup than I usually do.

Tristam

xbhaskarx said:

Instead, this team assim­i­lated some very basic Amer­i­can val­ues into its style – hard work, self-belief, and the atti­tude that, even­tu­ally, effort will be rewarded.

Seriously? I'm sure most countries and cultures believe that hard work and self-belief are among their basic values. Perhaps it's just that no one else advertises themselves as defenders of these values as obnoxiously as we Americans do. :lol

It's true that hustle really is emphasized in American soccer (and American sports in general) and that's reflected in the distance-covered figures that you posted above. But that hustle deserves some praise and some criticism--if we passed better, then we wouldn't have to run so damn much. Xavi's not there, but he's still a far better midfielder than Bradley.

I think there's also a danger in lavishing such praise on fighting spirit. Just because it's possible to go far in the WC on pure hustle, it's not probable and it's certainly not ideal. The danger comes from mythologizing hustle at the expense of things we should incorporate into our style; it may cultivate this feeling that we don't need no fancy passin' when we can buckle down and apply good old fashioned elbow grease.

But to be fair, our midfield was the best aspect of our team this WC. Our forwards choked and our defending was abysmal (is our national team honestly coached to NEVER, EVER cover the wings?)

I just saw a few rumors where Beckham is pushing for Ronaldinho to play for LA Galaxy. While I think it's a long shot...it would be crazy if that happened.

daoster

Rumors persist about Man City making a move for Donovan...(Man City are currently in the US for a pre-season tour).

Manchester City target Landon Donovan

Kinda annoyed that Don Garber's comments have probably inflated Donovan's prices beyond clubs that he might actually be a good fit for (like Everton).

Man City is stacked, Donovan probably won't even be a bench warmer!

Stuck

daoster said:
Rumors persist about Man City making a move for Donovan...(Man City are currently in the US for a pre-season tour).

Manchester City target Landon Donovan

Kinda annoyed that Don Garber's comments have probably inflated Donovan's prices beyond clubs that he might actually be a good fit for (like Everton).

Man City is stacked, Donovan probably won't even be a bench warmer!

Honest question, but why would a club pay so much money for someone who wouldn't even be a bench warmer? Do they have that much money to throw around just in case they need him at some point?

Stuck said:
Honest question, but why would a club pay so much money for someone who wouldn't even be a bench warmer? Do they have that much money to throw around just in case they need him at some point?

The answer is yes, Man City has loads of money to throw around

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anyone else going to Henry's first game tomorrow night? Really wanted to go but work is just too much right now.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AstroLad said:
Anyone else going to Henry's first game tomorrow night? Really wanted to go but work is just too much right now.

Wanted to but couldn't make it work.

Did get tickets for Galaxy at Red Bulls in August. :D

Daigoro

heads up guys. it Major League Soccer. not The Major League Soccer.

just MLS, not the MLS. :lol a minor point, but still.

AstroLad said:

its a Thursday night game? on FSC?

FSC normally has gotw's on Sat or Sun and ESPN has them on Thurs. ill double check.

ill check out the game. no reason to go see a pink cow game live unless they are playing the Revs though, obviously. :p

edit: oh its a friendly. whatever.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FYI, Superliga is still going on, and the US MLS teams are doing... surprisingly well. The tourney is initially two groups of four - two US MLS teams, and two Mexican club teams per group. Top two from each group advance to a playoff stage.

The group stage just ended, and the US actually won both groups - New England, and Houston.

What's more, the two Mexico teams that advance thanks to being 2nd in their group were both beaten by the group winning US team - neither match-up was a draw.

The other two US teams not advancing, Chivas and Chicago, both notched at least 1 win as well and both finished 3rd. So... I don't wanna read too much into things, but it def. stacks the MLS up favorably compared to Mexico's Primera Division and gives me hope for this year's CONCACAF Champion's League.

Attendence is up ~25% compared to last year's Superliga as well... although it's still poor.

RBH

Philly hung in tough with Man U for most of the game last night. But too many bad passes in the 2nd half from Philly that cost them.

Hoping to go to Club America vs. Man City on the 28th here in Atlanta.

RBH said:
Philly hung in tough with Man U for most of the game last night. But too many bad passes in the 2nd half from Philly that cost them.

Hoping to go to Club America vs. Man City on the 28th here in Atlanta.

I was impressed with how Philly played. For a lower level MLS team to take on ManU like that was an accomplishment. They had a few chances here and there, but ManU (once they started to turn up the heat) just proved too strong in the end.

I am so stoked to see Henry tonight

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Daigoro said:
edit: oh its a friendly. whatever.
it's henry and spurs! man if i had just known about it earlier i would have planned better. problem is my wife and i both work late as a matter of course so we can't easily just leave work at 7 on a half-day's notice.

daoster

Charlie Davies scored his first goal today in 9 months...he also played for the full 90 minutes with the reserve team! Between today's reserve game, and the short burst he's been getting with the senior team, it looks like Charlie Davies is well on the way to recovery!

Charlie Davies' Twitter said:
And Today I scored my first goal! We won 2-0! I'm on the right path. Must keep working hard, but God is great! Playing 90 felt good! Bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom