• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Remember when Adu was "the next pele"? And was going to be the savior of US soccer?
lol

Ducarmel

well it was a good game, sucks we lost.

missbreedsiddx said:
Remember when Adu was "the next pele"? And was going to be the savior of US soccer?
lol
I wonder now if his mother had decided to let him play in Italy would he have been that superstar.

daoster

It was boys vs. men and the boys were the older, more experienced US team :( :(

It was suppose to be a "Welcome Back" game for USMNT...instead, it was a "We're back bitches!" game for Brazil.

The bright spot is that...Guzan played pretty well, Gonzales had a decent first cap, and Mo was the only half decent midfielder.

Mobius 1

971499-big_boss_salute_super.jpg

shoplifter

Not many positives there, kids. If anyone had further questions about Rapestache getting more caps in the future, I hope that they were answered.

Time to start calling in some other strikers.

US MOTM - Guzan

daoster said:
and Mo was the only half decent midfielder.

Edu played awesome in the World Cup in his limited time, but I thought he played kinda shitty tonight all things being said. Yeah its great that he can keep possession even when being pressured, but he didn't look like he knew what to do whenever play dictated him to an attacking role in the offensive zone.

But what frustrated me more than anything is the several times where he didn't hustle back on D at all, even in the 1st half when he was fresh. Obviously Bradley is the attacking central midfielder so Edu needs to play his role and at least give the impression that he gives a shit about playing some D. As far as half decent midfielders I thought Benny Feilhaber played a better all-around game.

shoplifter

^^^^ Are you talking about
AlexiLalas1.jpg

Anyway, for those with Directv, FSC goes HD tomorrow, and per their twitter FS+ goes HD on a match by match basis (ie, the 619-1 part time channel). They're planning to show the England/Hungary match in HD tomorrow.

ZZMitch

shoplifter said:
Anyway, for those with Directv, FSC goes HD tomorrow, and per their twitter FS+ goes HD on a match by match basis (ie, the 619-1 part time channel). They're planning to show the England/Hungary match in HD tomorrow.
Any idea if/when fsc is going hd on time warner cable?

daoster

cuevas said:
Does anyone else not like that ESPN analyst with those stupid sideburns?

Man, Alexi Lalas, while annoying at times, is about the closest we'll have on ESPN who will tell it like it is, ever since they got rid of his teammate Eric Wynalda. If only they still had Wynalda on ESPN!

daoster

TheVisualizer said:
Edu played awesome in the World Cup in his limited time, but I thought he played kinda shitty tonight all things being said. Yeah its great that he can keep possession even when being pressured, but he didn't look like he knew what to do whenever play dictated him to an attacking role in the offensive zone.

But what frustrated me more than anything is the several times where he didn't hustle back on D at all, even in the 1st half when he was fresh. Obviously Bradley is the attacking central midfielder so Edu needs to play his role and at least give the impression that he gives a shit about playing some D. As far as half decent midfielders I thought Benny Feilhaber played a better all-around game.

I guess ESPN agrees with you! ESPN scores for the USA player:

United States
Tim Howard, goalkeeper, 6 -- In a steady half of work, Howard took his saves well and helped shore up a leaky back line. You can't blame Howard for either of Brazil's goals. That blame lies more with the back line and midfield.

Jonathan Bornstein, defense, 3.5 -- The spot of left back is as up for grabs as ever, as Bornstein again showed that he isn't the solution. He spent his night getting skinned by wingers and let Neymar slip in front of him for the first goal.

Carlos Bocanegra, defense, 5.5 -- While the central defender lost Alexandre Pato on the second goal, a situation that started with the U.S.'s poor midfield display, Bocanegra was overall steady in his 60 minutes, a quality in short supply on the night.

Omar Gonzalez, defense, 5 -- The young defender announced that he'd be nervous about making his debut. It showed. Gonzalez let Pato past him in the ninth minute, when Howard made a good save, and was in trouble again on Pato's called-off goal a little later. He got through his first game without a big gaffe, though, and when making your debut against Brazil, that's not so bad.

Jonathan Spector, defense, 5 -- Spector held his ground opposite fast and unpredictable foes as often as he was exposed. He was also conspicuously absent when Brazil pushed through on its left for the opening goal. To his credit, Spector sent in several dangerous crosses.

Benny Feilhaber, midfield, 5 -- Although he looked threatening early on, Feilhaber quickly receded into obscurity as his only half of play wore on. He put in a useful touch to defuse a dangerous situation that was of his own making. Other than that, his play on the left was unconvincing.

Maurice Edu, midfield, 4 -- He toiled in mediocrity, misplacing passes and offering too much room to his Brazilian counterparts. While he wasn't entirely to blame for Tuesday night's loss, he wasn't much help either.

Michael Bradley, midfield, 7 -- Although Bradley was partly culpable on the second goal, he was again peerless in midfield. As always, he closed gaps, backed up his teammates, hustled around the pitch and deftly distributed the ball. If ever the next U.S. contender had a cornerstone building block, Bradley is it.

Alejandro Bedoya, midfield, 4 -- Bedoya detracted from the defense more than he contributed to the offense. Other than winning a corner, no positive net result was recorded from him. If his 66 minutes on the field showed anything, it's that he has a long way to go yet.

Landon Donovan, forward, 6.5 -- In front of a huge crowd, Donovan couldn't quite appease those that had come for the rare chance to see the U.S. take on a world power on home soil. A nice early touch on a ball from Buddle showed promise, but the play was halted by a challenge on Donovan that should have been a penalty. While he worked hard and applied pressure where he could, Donovan's influence wasn't much before coming off after 60 minutes.

Edson Buddle, forward, 4.5 -- Buddle's excellent pass to Donovan in the box early in the first (and Buddle's only) half was the highlight of his night. Otherwise, he spent too much time isolated and starved of service.

Subs:

Jozy Altidore, forward, 6 -- He provided what little danger the U.S. mustered, finding himself on the end of several long balls. But those passes required Altidore to run at goal, which isn't his strength.

Sacha Kljestan, midfield, 6 -- Kljestan revamped the American attack after his entrance into the fray. While he wasn't always effective in setting up his peers, his runs infused danger into the U.S.'s otherwise lethargic wing-play.

Brad Guzan, goalkeeper, 7 -- That Brazil didn't run up the score had much to do with Guzan's breakout second half. He punched, slapped, grabbed and pushed the U.S. out of trouble and was at least as good as Tim Howard on the day.

Robbie Findley, forward, 3.5 -- As could be expected of the Real Salt Lake forward, Findley had little to offer the U.S. in this game. His poor touch deceived him on every occasion.

Clarence Goodson, defense, 5.5 -- The tall central defender was serviceable in the middle, but also wasn't tested too much.

Herculez Gomez, midfield, 5.5 -- With little involvement in the run of play, Gomez did get his head onto the ball thanks to a good cross from Spector for the Americans' most dangerous chance of the game.

xbhaskarx

cuevas said:
Does anyone else not like that ESPN analyst with those stupid sideburns?
john_harkes_mlsnetcom.jpg

lalas_receives_word.jpg

You need to be more specific.

Actually, you don't: no one likes John Harkes, and many people don't like Alexei Lalas.

daoster said:
If only they still had Wynalda on ESPN!

Wynalda is great, they really should have kept him around.

They didn't chose Harkes over Wynalda, did they? That would be an outrage, considering not only is Wynalda a far better analyst, but Harkes slept with Wynalda's wife and fucked up our 98 World Cup team.

daoster said:
I guess ESPN agrees with you! ESPN scores for the USA player:

ESPN's scores look fine, except I would have given Findley a 0 for being absolutely worthless and Bornstein a -5 for being one of the best players on Brazil... oh wait, you mean he was playing for us and not them... I couldn't tell with all the on-point passes he was feeding them and all the great supporting runs he made alongside goal scorers

Sooner Bob Bradley gets out of dodge, sooner we can stop seeing his "favorites" keep getting playing time

exarkun

Bornstein is fucking garbage. How he stays on the team, I will never know since he is slow and is easily taken advantage of physically. Quite easily the worst starter on the team. And hes a defense-man which make it all the more worse. Tonight and at the cup, he was getting easssssily outdone by the worst player on the other team.

Altidore is frustrating. Man has the speed and the skills but when he dons that national jersey he doesn't know where the net is and flops like its his job. I understand that he gets fouled alot, but fight through some of them at least so when you flop you will get a call. Refs ignored his shit the entirety of the Cup and I couldn't blame them (cept once). Needs a punch in the face for that flopping and the last shot he took tonight.

Bradley is the shining light. Him and Donovan. They move well, hustle ALL THE DAMN TIME unlike their team mates and make pretty good passes. Bradley understands what needs to be done and does it and Donovan is usually fighting the lost cause that is the laziness and ineptitude of most of the US team. Slow on D and they need to be scored on to get in gear.

We just need a better squad and a stronger mentality.

shoplifter

Sacha Kljestan, midfield, -6 -- Kljestan revamped the Brazilian attack after his entrance into the fray. He was always effective in passing to Brazilian players.

Never want to see him capped again.

Cannot wait for Le Toux, Mwanga, and Lenhart (and Najar!) to get a shot at the Nats. Jozy has been completely useless.

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
Wynalda is great, they really should have kept him around.

They didn't chose Harkes over Wynalda, did they? That would be an outrage, considering not only is Wynalda a far better analyst, but Harkes slept with Wynalda's wife and fucked up our 98 World Cup team.

Wynalda is probably no longer with ESPN because...he can be prone to cussing on live television....and oh yeah, cussing out and threatening Jim Rome and telling Jim to suck his...you know what (while Wynalda was STILL with ESPN) probably had something to do with it.

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
Wynalda is probably no longer with ESPN because...he can be prone to cussing on live television....and oh yeah, cussing out and threatening Jim Rome and telling Jim to suck his...you know what (while Wynalda was STILL with ESPN) probably had something to do with it.

I forgot he threatened Jim Rome. Too bad he didn't physically attack him like Jim Everett did years ago, that would have cemented Wynalda's position as an all time legend.

In 2007, ESPN commentator and former soccer star Eric Wynalda lashed out at Rome's distaste for soccer during an interview with a soccer fan website. Wynalda stated: "Jim Rome can suck my dick! And he should be very afraid, because I’m the kind of guy, if I get too many drinks in me, I will club his ass."

:lol amazing

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
exarkun said:
Bornstein is fucking garbage. How he stays on the team, I will never know since he is slow and is easily taken advantage of physically. Quite easily the worst starter on the team. And hes a defense-man which make it all the more worse. Tonight and at the cup, he was getting easssssily outdone by the worst player on the other team.

Altidore is frustrating. Man has the speed and the skills but when he dons that national jersey he doesn't know where the net is and flops like its his job. I understand that he gets fouled alot, but fight through some of them at least so when you flop you will get a call. Refs ignored his shit the entirety of the Cup and I couldn't blame them (cept once). Needs a punch in the face for that flopping and the last shot he took tonight.

Bradley is the shining light. Him and Donovan. They move well, hustle ALL THE DAMN TIME unlike their team mates and make pretty good passes. Bradley understands what needs to be done and does it and Donovan is usually fighting the lost cause that is the laziness and ineptitude of most of the US team. Slow on D and they need to be scored on to get in gear.

We just need a better squad and a stronger mentality.
Getting rid of Coach Bradley is #1 on my list.

Oozer3993

missbreedsiddx said:
lol

He's only 20. Just you wait, he'll have a Diego Forlan like coming out party in Brazil in 2014.

I can dream can't I?

ZZMitch

ErnieMcCracken said:
Depends on your market, it's already available in Cincy (had it for a few months now).

Interesting... is there any way to check this? I live in Maine and have been just checking channels above 500 everytime I watch soccer to see if an hd version is available :lol

daoster

Oozer3993 said:
He's only 20. Just you wait, he'll have a Diego Forlan like coming out party in Brazil in 2014.

I can dream can't I?

I feel bad for Freddy Adu. At the age of 14 (the age he turned professional), people were calling him the American Pele. 14. That's 8th grade. Think about that for a moment.

Think about how you were at 14 and think about how you are now.

As I've said before about some American soccer fans...the desperateness to have our own version of Pele or Messi puts unnecessary pressure on our young players, and the moment they don't produce the results of Pele or Messi, they're suddenly worthless.

xbhaskarx

Forget about being the next Pele or even the next Donovan, how about being good enough to make the national team, I'd settle for that. But not only was he not even close to being one of the final cuts from the team, he wasn't even on the initial 30 man roster, and I'm not sure he would have been number 31 or 32, either.
Adu has failed to develop over the last half decade, and the hype is not to blame. Hell it's minor here, even for Adu, compared to most other countries.

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
Forget about being the next Pele or even the next Donovan, how about being good enough to make the national team, I'd settle for that. But not only was he not even close to being one of the final cuts from the team, he wasn't even on the initial 30 man roster, and I'm not sure he would have been number 31 or 32, either.
Adu has failed to develop over the last half decade, and the hype is not to blame. Hell it's minor here, even for Adu, compared to most other countries.

He's made the national team. He played in last year's Confederation's Cup. The USMNT is not something that's usually set in stone. (He's also only 21!)

But a lot can happen in a year. New players enter into the mix, old players fall off the radar, Freddy Adu was a victim of this. And I would have rather had him in the 30 man roster to see what he could bring than Eddie fucking Johnson.

And once again, I must reiterate, he was compared to Pele at the age of 14. He was professional at 14. For a long time, he WAS the face of MLS (or at the very least, DC United).

Is the pressure as much as a Messi might face in Argentina? No of course not, but at a young age, when you're featured in SI, when you're one of the most recognizable name in the sport, and when you're suppose to be the next big thing in the sport...you don't think this got to his head and probably wrecked havoc in his development?

Not to say that he should get a free pass, or that he's a better player than people rate him for now a days, a lot of these problems were due to his actions and abilities, but the hopes and dreams that a young soccer nation placed on him did Freddy Adu no favors. Now he can't even find a half decent club to play for in Europe.

The same thing happened to Lee Nguyen. He got signed up to PSV Eindhoven, did well for the U23 team, and was constantly touted as the next big thing (again) for the national team. Now he plays for the damn Vietnamese League and he doesn't even start in every game for THAT team.

This type of thing unfortunately happens a lot to our players, Freddy Adu's case is simply sad because he's been under the magnifying glass by USA fans for so long.

TO Switch gears....

Altidore has been named on the Villareal Europa League team... hopefully this means PLAYING TIME!!

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/clubs/club=70691/squad/index.html

daoster said:
But a lot can happen in a year. New players enter into the mix, old players fall off the radar, Freddy Adu was a victim of this. And I would have rather had him in the 30 man roster to see what he could bring than Eddie fucking Johnson.

Eddie Johnson is the new Ricardo Clark confirmed.

Just kidding. I remember when EJ got into the lineup over guys that deserved to be in there back in the day.

I'd love to see Gomez get some more time up front. Altidore could be great; he just needs regular playing time. Adu just needs to bulk up, but I would like to see him here and there. Maybe a move back to MLS would be good for him?

daoster

Now British tabloids are reporting that Bob Bradley has quit/retired/whatever...and of course, he's going to join up Aston Villa, and sites like Goal.com and Soccernet are running away with it with this "news"

But the British tabloids are basically BigSoccer users who get paid to write to write the trash they write.

Exclusive - Bob Bradley quits USA?

Of course, BBC Football Rumor is reporting that USSF has denied it:
1553 BST: The US Soccer Federation has denied reports that manager Bob Bradley is quitting to join Aston Villa and stated its intention to continue talks with the coach, whose contract expires in December. (Reuters)

Here's an Ives article claiming that Bradley's agent has denied all claims of him quitting:

Bradley's agent denies reports claiming he has resigned
"All these reports that are coming out saying Bob is quitting (as U.S. national team head coach) are absolutely false," said Ron Waxman, Bradley's New York-based agent.

And here's a Steve Davis (From SI.com) blog post on the thing:
Resign? Bob Bradley? NO ... Bradley has not resigned

Of course, there's also saying....there's no smoke without the fire. Sunil should just come out and either say, "Bob Bradley is no longer the U.S. coach" or "Bob Bradley will stay on as U.S. coach for the next cycle" and just put an end to the stupid speculating. Then let the bitching and moaning (or tears of joy) from the U.S. soccer fans begin!

Slizz

My 2 cents on Bob Bradley:

A. He is not a Premier League caliber coach, period.
B. I think he needs to step down as coach of the USMNT, maybe be an assistant or something. I feel we need a foreign influence ala Klingsman to help jumpstart and establish a US specific soccer "style" that we really don't have with Bradley.

I know that he has to work with what hes got currently but I think someone else with an outside perspective can really help us.

daoster

Slizz said:
My 2 cents on Bob Bradley:

A. He is not a Premier League caliber coach, period.
B. I think he needs to step down as coach of the USMNT, maybe be an assistant or something. I feel we need a foreign influence ala Klingsman to help jumpstart and establish a US specific soccer "style" that we really don't have with Bradley.

I know that he has to work with what hes got currently but I think someone else with an outside perspective can really help us.

A. I think he has the makings of a Premier League coach. He's probably no worse (and probably a lot better) than the likes of Paul Ince or Lawrie Sanchez who had no business managing a Premier League team. Yet they did. I rate Bradley higher than these guys. But I also don't want to see the first American manager in the Premier League fail, so I think jumping from the US National team to the Premier League is a huge step, and you'd probably be under greater scrutiny, just because you're an American. Coaching a Championship side, being an assistant manager for one of the Premier side would be a great start for him, however.

B. If Bob Bradley thinks he can do better the second time around, he shouldn't have to step down. Whether or not I think he should stay on however, is a different matter. What I'm also afraid of is some people (not you necessarily) think that somebody like Klinsmann will suddenly be the tailsman that turns US Soccer into the world power we all yearn it to be. Then a couple of bad games in, people will suddenly cry bloody murder. Hell, some people are already skeptical about Klinsmann because of his stint at Bayern (never mind that I wouldn't call third place in the Bundesliga a bad stint).

We've also had a foreign coach before (Bora Milutinović), and that certainly didn't establish any style for US Soccer, and the results were no better than Arena or Bradley's results so far..

The whole fiasco in Mexico with Sven shows us that we shouldn't expect just any foreign coach to come in and help us (and SGE was a very successful coach for both club and country).

Still...I really do want Klinsmann...he'll bring experience that few coaches have...he's won the World Cup as a player, and guided the German team to a third place finish in 2006. Plus, he speaks English fluently, loves America (to the point that he was managing Germany outta California), and has an intimate knowledge of the USMNT and MLS....now how many managers can say that ???

I don't think Klinsmann is the answer to all our problems, but I certainly believe that he'd be the next logical step for the USMNT.

daoster

Couple of USMNT players played today:
- Stuart Holden for Bolton started and went the 90 minutes...he almost scored a goal too!
- Clint Dempsey was on the opposing side (Fulham) and came in as a sub in the 75th minute...
- Maurice Edu went the full 90 for the Rangers today.
- Jozy Altidore came in as a sub for Villareal
- Michael Bradley scored for Borussia Mönchengladbach in a Cup game today! Watch the goal here.
- Brad Friedel with the shutout. Guzan and Lichaj were unused subs.
- Spector was an unused sub for West Ham's lost against Villa today.

There's a rumor going around that Friedel might be on his way out of Aston Villa...either Wenger buys Friedel, or (more likely), Wenger gets Schwarzer, and Friedel is reunited with his former manager at Fulham.

Hopefully, this means that Guzan will start for Aston Villa.

xbhaskarx said:
Yeah that is good to see from Bradley.

And hopefully Guzan gets his chance this year.

Yeah.

Hopefully.

Old Timmy is slowing loosing it.

Did you see the goal he gave up this weekend?

fucking drop the ball right by the striker.

daoster

If you guys aren't watching the ManU-Newcastle game...you can watch Jermaine Jones play in the German Cup vs. Vfr Aalen....on ESPN3.com

Or you can watch both games at once!

daoster

In Yesterday's Europa League, Altidore made his European debut with Villareal!

This should be the best indication that, at least for now, Jozy is staying in Spain, cause he's tied to Villareal...at least for this round.

I want to see Altidore get regular time on the field. I absolutely loved the partnership of Charlie Davies and Altidore up front. Hopefully Charlie can get back to full speed before the next Gold Cup. We need to win that one to score a spot in the 2013 Confederations Cup in Brazil.

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
In Yesterday's Europa League, Altidore made his European debut with Villareal!

This should be the best indication that, at least for now, Jozy is staying in Spain, cause he's tied to Villareal...at least for this round.

So Altidore and Rossi will be together, interesting.

Heh: Jozy Altidore for Giuseppe Rossi (74)

daoster

Gamecocks625 said:
I want to see Altidore get regular time on the field. I absolutely loved the partnership of Charlie Davies and Altidore up front. Hopefully Charlie can get back to full speed before the next Gold Cup. We need to win that one to score a spot in the 2013 Confederations Cup in Brazil.

Villareal's coach has said that if Altidore stays, he will get playing time. All indications seem to point that he's gonna stay, so win win!

I wonder if Charlie will be healthy enough by the time Gold Cup rolls around...here's praying. It's completely clear now that he wasn't healthy enough to even be in 30 man WC camp, and his anger at the president of Sochaux was probably misplaced.

Still, I'm hoping to see him start playing for Sochaux by year's end...the question is, will he still have the speed!

daoster

USMNT Abroad:
- Dempsey started and played for 62 minutes in Fulham's exhilarating 2-2 tie with Man U
- Brad Friedel didn't have the best of days, allowing 6 goals in, against Newcastle. Brad Guzan and Lichaj did not play.
- Guzan and Lichaj DID play the full 90 in Champions League qualifier against Rapid Vienna
- Stuart Holden went the full 90 for Bolton in their 3-1 win over West Ham. Spector wasn't on the West Ham bench.
- Michael Bradley went the full 90 in BMG's season opener.
- Maurice Edu went the full 90 for Rangers in their win over Hibernian.
- Tim Howard and Marcus Hahnemann dueled it out for a 1-1 draw between Everton and Wolves.
- Bocanegra started and played the full 90 in St Etienne's draw with Boca's former club, Rennes.
- Torres started and played for 80 minutes, while Herculez Gomez was subbed in at 66th minute in Pachuca's 2-2 draw with Monterrey.
- Sacha Kljestan started his first league game for Anderlecht and scored a GOAL! Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFEZMS5yuEI&feature=player_embedded

Eddie Johnson (currently with Fulham) is rumored to have been loaned out to Greece club Xanthi.

Rumors of Brad Fridel going to either Arsenal or Fulham have kinda died down, because Hughes is thinking of bringing in Shay Given instead.

Is Bolton's midfield depth that bad? Or is Stuart Holden just that good? The guy barely played in the World Cup (what, like 5 minutes?), played only 3 games last year before got his leg broken (by kung fu master De Jong), and met up with Bolton LATE this year...and he's still starting and playing the full 90 for Bolton! This will be Stuart Holden's breakout year, and our USMNT midfield just got much much more crowded.

And finally...the biggest indicator that Bob Bradley will not return as USMNT manager: He has officially said he's interested in the Aston Villa job. This isn't a dumb rumor from BigSoccer, but rather Bob himself, speaking on BBC's Radio 5. There has of course, been no contact between Bob and Aston Villa, but...Bob throwing his name out there is a big indication that he won't be back as USMNT head coach.

US coach Bob Bradley interested in Aston Villa vacancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom