• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Grant Wahl asked Rafael Marquez about his two red cards against the USMNT, also more on the new Cosmos, Wilpon and Beckham:

5. Cosmos return. Are the New York Cosmos making a comeback? There was plenty of pub for the announcement over the weekend (which included Pelé and Giorgio Chinaglia) that a group headed by Paul Kemsley (www.nycosmos.com) has bought the trademark for the Cosmos and has big plans. Those already include an affiliation with a New York City youth club (B.W. Gottschee) to form a Cosmos Academy and the purchase of the Copa NYC tournament, but the ultimate goal, the group says, is to own a New York franchise in Major League Soccer.

I'll look forward to learning more about the new Cosmos, but what I'm picking up so far is interesting. The "Director of Soccer" is Terry Byrne, the close friend and former personal manager of David Beckham. Byrne was hired as a paid consultant to the Galaxy in late 2007 and recruited Ruud Gullit to coach Los Angeles in 2008.

Byrne's role, of course, prompts the question of whether the Cosmos might be the MLS team that Beckham uses to exercise his option to buy into the league at a below-market price as an owner after his playing career is over. When I asked MLS commissioner Garber about that on Tuesday, this is what he said: "That's a coincidence. David has an option on the 20th team. That option has limitations to it. But I would not read anything into Terry Byrne's involvement with the Cosmos."

As for the 20th MLS team that Garber hopes will be a second New York team (starting play as early as 2013), the commissioner cautioned that the Cosmos isn't the only group that has an interest in owning that team. "I spoke to Jeff Wilpon [on Monday]," Garber said. "I've had no shortage of interested investors, including some people of real substance. The only two groups that have been public are the Cosmos and the Wilpons."

And Garber's view on the Cosmos? "They've got a plan to relaunch that brand, to launch it as an authentic soccer brand," he said. "To do that they're going to need a team. Otherwise it's just a lifestyle brand trying to capitalize on the soccer market. So I know at some point in their future they'd like to be involved in New York. But we're a long ways away from finalizing anything in New York ... The brand is not going to drive the success of that club. Ownership and facility will drive it. Then we can figure out what's the right brand connection. If the Cosmos are an important part of that, either as owners, investors or as a brand, then we'll continue to talk to them about that."

xbhaskarx

The U.S. House of Representatives passed a resolution late last week congratulating the U.S. Men's National Team on their performance in the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

House Resolution 1527 commends the entire USMNT, the coaching, training, and administrative personnel, US Soccer and "the coaches and parents of young soccer players around the country for their role in the success of soccer in the United States."
Our elected officials' recognition of soccer's place in America shows how ingrained the beautiful game has become in the United States.

Representative Anh "Joseph" Cao of Louisiana spoke before the House explaining why he and eleven of his peers introduced the bill:
Mr. Speaker, the U.S. Men's National Soccer Team proved that the U.S. can compete at the international level with the most elite teams in the world. I am truly proud of the team's players, coaches, training personnel and administrative staff who all worked and competed tirelessly to be the best they could be, and represent our great country to the rest of the world.

===

Also:

Invite 5 friends to sign the #gousabid petition you'll be entered to win a soccer ball signed by #USMNT http://www.gousabid.com/page/invite/invite5

daoster

Ives Galarcep is reporting via Twitter that Jermaine Jones has turned down the call up

German report has Jermaine Jones turning down USMNT call-up. Schalke boss Felix Magath quoted saying its still too early. MNT yet to confirm

Disappointing if true, but at the same time understandable...he's just come back from a year long injury and has started to barely get back on the field. Still, I want to see him play for the yanks!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I know this topic is about the USMNT but it has also sorta become the default US soccer topic. So, on the MLS/US Club Soccer front, US teams are actually representing themselves very well in two international tournaments, at the moment.

In the CONCACAF Champion's League prelim. round, there were three MLS teams (if you count Montreal) vying for spots in the group stage. Two of the three progressed - only LA Galaxy didn't make it, in a shocker. This means there are four MLS teams now in the group stage, which is a record for the league since the competition changed formats a few years back:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010–11_CONCACAF_Champions_League#Preliminary_round

This is a little misleading, since Montreal (and other future Canadian MLS teams) qualify separately from the US MLS teams, basically giving the MLS more qualified clubs. But still, Seattle and Montreal moving on is clearly good news.

And, in SuperLiga play, the New England Revs made it to the finals.

But yeah, the Champion's League is the real news. With four MLS squads in group play, we have a much better chance of the MLS representing itself well. In the past we've never had more than one MLS team make it out of the group stage, and no MLS team has ever progressed past the first elim. round. That should change this year.

shoplifter

^^^ I expect us to get out of group easily this year. We got a really good draw. We came within 1 goal of advancing over Toluca last time, so hopefully we can turn it on in our 1st knockout draw this year.

It just sucks for the MLS clubs that the knockout phase starts in the preseason. Nothing we can really do about that though, aside from going Fall-Spring, and that really just won't work here.

edit: also, I'm quite pissed that the Gals sucked it up and didn't advance in CCL. I'm almost of the mind to say that they tanked it intentionally. As of now, we have at least *SEVEN* (eight if we make the USOC final) more non-league matches to play than LA by the end of the season, so if we can manage to wrest the Supporter's Shield away that will be quite a feat.

This photo is awesome for multiple reasons:

capt.69857cebbd85492d90dced21dd7e7034-69857cebbd85492d90dced21dd7e7034-0.jpg

I'm currently enjoying this soccerball game between the Kansas City Wizards and Real Salt Lake. We (the Wizards) have a forward named Kei Kamara who is clearly very talented, and it's tied, for the moment, at 1 with 15 minutes left. I think KC may win, though, because they're threatening the goal more, and have less penalties.

daoster

I'm pretty excited for this friendly against Brazil...it may lack the big names, but this is probably gonna be similar to what the 2014 Brazil team looks like...and between the end of the World Cup and the start of the European season (and the once a week MLS game that I've been trying to watch), the soccer has been pretty dryyyyy.

And after this friendly, I think USA is gonna be playing two more friendlies in October (and trying to get an oversea friendly in November)? If Goff is to be believed, it'll be Poland (aren't we already playing them in Jan?) and Columbia.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/08/usa_friendlies_coming_together.html

Does these scheduled friendlies mean that Bob Bradley is probably gonna stay on as manager? They probably wouldn't schedule these friendlies with a manager who's about to be axed right? Or they might just wait till Bob's contract officially ends (Dec. 31, 2010)

neoanarch

daoster said:
I'm pretty excited for this friendly against Brazil...it may lack the big names, but this is probably gonna be similar to what the 2014 Brazil team looks like...and between the end of the World Cup and the start of the European season (and the once a week MLS game that I've been trying to watch), the soccer has been pretty dryyyyy.

And after this friendly, I think USA is gonna be playing two more friendlies in October (and trying to get an oversea friendly in November)? If Goff is to be believed, it'll be Poland (aren't we already playing them in Jan?) and Columbia.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/08/usa_friendlies_coming_together.html

Does these scheduled friendlies mean that Bob Bradley is probably gonna stay on as manager? They probably wouldn't schedule these friendlies with a manager who's about to be axed right? Or they might just wait till Bob's contract officially ends (Dec. 31, 2010)

Not really. Mexico has a couple scheduled and we have interims for all of them. probably two or three different managers.

xbhaskarx

Mourinho hints his future could be in U.S.
“When [my kids] are older, it is time for a different time in my professional life and my personal life, too,” Mourinho told ESPN. “So who knows? This is a great place for me. I came here with Chelsea, with Inter Milan and now with Real Madrid.

“I love L.A. I love to work here. Who knows, [maybe] my future will be around in a different environment.”

Real Madrid-Los Angeles attendance at Rose Bowl: 89,134

xbhaskarx

zoku88 said:
That would be awesome. But he just moved to Madrid, no? So he's definitely not talking short term, right?

No, he said after his kids grow up. He probably means towards the end of his career.

daoster

Given that Jose wants to return to the Premier League (many think that he'll be in charge of ManU when SAF finally retires), and after that, he might try his hand on international soccer...he's probably just saying that to please the people of L.A. :p

Still, could you imagine the Special One as the USMNT coach? If ever there was a coach who can singlehandedly take a team to the next level, I'd bet that on the Special One. He might not revolutionize the youth system, and we might be playing ugly soccer, but...we'd become a force in the world!!!

Ah, how things would have been different for England had they manage to grab him instead settling on McClaren.

And possibly good news for Altidore and his situation with Villareal...as I'm writing this, he just scored a goal against Turkish club Besiktas (which coincidentally was interested in purchasing him)!!!!

http://watchsocceronline.blogspot.com/2010/08/jozy-scores-for-villareal.html

daoster

Wow...maybe this is the clearest indication yet that Bob won't be back...and maybe Klinsmann won't be our coach either?

According to a small blurb on MLSSoccer.com, USSF was actively trying to get current Chilean manager (and former Argentinean manager) Marcelo Bielsa as the next manager for US MNT. Too bad Chile decided to renew his contract till 2015. That would have been interesting to see Bielsa as US manager...he's been a great manager for Chile.

Kick Off: CCL hopes on the line, Iker Casillas in LA (the blurb is near the end of the article).

daoster

According to bookmakers....Bradley has some pretty decent odds at being the next Aston Villa manager...though I wonder if they're basing that on mainly cause the owner of Aston Villa is an American as well (there are even odds on Bruce Arena!). There can't be too many rumors yet, as the Villa thing just happened today...

http://guardian.oddschecker.com/foo.../aston-villa-specials/next-permanent-manager/

A potential candidate for US Manager...Martin O'neill??

I wish...

xbhaskarx

Bob Bradley says he would love to work in Europe

The USA coach Bob Bradley, who has been strongly linked with the vacant Aston Villa manager's job, has repeated his desire to coach in Europe.

Bradley swiftly became one of the bookmakers' favourites for the job following Martin O'Neill's resignation from the post yesterday.

Asked about the Villa speculation, Bradley, whose contract with the U.S Soccer Federation runs out in December, told a news conference ahead of his team's friendly with Brazil, that he would love to work in Europe.

"I have said over and over as well that I am always excited about new and different challenges. Certainly coaching in Europe at some point is something that I would love to do," he said.

"At the same time, I also consider it a challenge when you finish one [World Cup] cycle and begin the process of working on another one. From the time one World Cup ends, you begin to go through the process of assessing where you are."

Villa are owned by the American Randy Lerner, and Bradley, who impressed during the World Cup where he guided his team to the second round, has previously been linked with Fulham before the London club appointed former Manchester City manager Mark Hughes.

daoster

A potential to the USMNT defects to Armenia :(

Yura Movsisyan wanted to play for the U.S. national team, and under a different set of circumstances, he could be wearing a United States uniform tonight for the U.S. team's friendly against Brazil.

4 People are getting inducted into the US Soccer Hall of Fame today:

- Bruce Arena who led his country to victory in the 1974 World Lacrosse Championships (oh yeah, who also coached US Soccer)
- Thomas Dooley, a German American who played for us...(he was captain for the 1998 World Cup)
- Preki Radosavljević, a Serbian-American who played for us...and helped us beat Brazil in the 1998 Gold Cup and now coaches for Toronto
- Kyle Rote, Jr., one of the few Americans to actually play for the NASL league back in its heyday.

Slizz

I'm ok with that lineup, any word on what Brazils will be? Saw on FSC on the little ticker that the Brazil manager wanted make a statement against us. I know Brazil is deep but are any high profile players going to be playing?

Azzurri

Gold Member
shoplifter said:
^^^ I expect us to get out of group easily this year. We got a really good draw. We came within 1 goal of advancing over Toluca last time, so hopefully we can turn it on in our 1st knockout draw this year.

It just sucks for the MLS clubs that the knockout phase starts in the preseason. Nothing we can really do about that though, aside from going Fall-Spring, and that really just won't work here.

edit: also, I'm quite pissed that the Gals sucked it up and didn't advance in CCL. I'm almost of the mind to say that they tanked it intentionally. As of now, we have at least *SEVEN* (eight if we make the USOC final) more non-league matches to play than LA by the end of the season, so if we can manage to wrest the Supporter's Shield away that will be quite a feat.

This photo is awesome for multiple reasons:

capt.69857cebbd85492d90dced21dd7e7034-69857cebbd85492d90dced21dd7e7034-0.jpg

I haven't been to a Crew game in a long time. How is attendance? I know Toronto FC sells out or close to it when they play at BMO Field.

daoster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbuIZuTgPDs

I would guess the Brazilian lineup on the video here will be the real thing (as well as the formation we'll be using).

And Brazil will be having a lot of high profile players (though ironically enough, not all of them were in the WC). Silva, Pato, Robinho, Alves, Luiz are some of the players that come to mind.

daoster

Also, I dunno how many innings are in the Little League World Series, but so help me God, this shit better not cut into the game..

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
daoster said:
Also, I dunno how many innings are in the Little League World Series, but so help me God, this shit better not cut into the game..

Little League is 6, and there's a mercy rule on top of that I think at 15 runs. Should be fine.

xbhaskarx

daoster said:

Not a problem, there are still 20 minutes until the game begins and the soccer coverage has already started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom