• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

daoster

Wow. Sunil just had a press conference on Bob Bradley, and the usual fluff.

But he mentioned that CONCACAF is considering implementing a new qualifying format where USA and Mexico will never meet. That means we won't get the chance to finally beat Mexico in Azteca in a World Cup qualifier.

That'll make qualifying for the World Cup more boring than usual.

Dumb move, IMO.

xbhaskarx

daoster said:

But he mentioned that CONCACAF is considering implementing a new qualifying format where USA and Mexico will never meet. That means we won't get the chance to finally beat Mexico in Azteca in a World Cup qualifier.

Dumb move, IMO.

I read that there would be a press conference this morning, is the video online?

Why would they do that? To ensure that both US and Mexico have an easy path to WC qualification?

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
I read that there would be a press conference this morning, is the video online?

Why would they do that? To ensure that both US and Mexico have an easy path to WC qualification?

Not exactly sure why CONCACAF is doing that...I'm sure that USA v Mexico is a huge and profitable draw for the US and Mexican federation, as well as CONCACAF, so not sure why they'd want to get rid of it...

and no video that I know of, but US Soccer's website should have a podcast out soon.

exarkun

Read that bradley got the extension. I'm happy about it since he has been with the program with so long and has done great (2008) and ok (WC) with a team that has merely above average talent. His son also gives 100% on the field all the team which I think he gets from his dad since he is so dedicated.

And not having US play Mexico is very, very stupid. Any claims that it isn't easy to get to the WC for the US will go out the window. So dumb.

Extending Bradley is slightly disappointing to me, if only because I feel like the team - and USA Soccer as a whole - needs to be made to follow some of the structures in the rest of the world's development systems to make the next step forward...

...but he did a really great job, so I can't be truly mad. Hopefully he'll be able to keep working hard and make that next step himself. Maybe he can be the architect of an effective "American" style of soccer.

daoster said:

Dumb move, IMO.

bjcqhv.jpg

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
exarkun said:
Read that bradley got the extension. I'm happy about it since he has been with the program with so long and has done great (2008) and ok (WC) with a team that has merely above average talent. His son also gives 100% on the field all the team which I think he gets from his dad since he is so dedicated.

And not having US play Mexico is very, very stupid. Any claims that it isn't easy to get to the WC for the US will go out the window. So dumb.

What's needed is for the top 4 of the final 6 get into the final 12 automatically for the next cycle- why does the US/Mexico have to kill some minnow 10-0 just to get in there?

Waste of time.

Atlagev

daoster said:

Dumb move, IMO.

It also hurts because we can't count on Mexico to fuck everyone's goal difference at Azteca by beating them 6-0 at home... This is what I've always rooted for: US wins, Mexico slaughtering everyone at Azteca, and ties, ties, ties for everyone else.

With this new format, it will make qualifying more difficult for us.

daoster

Here's a good explanation of the new qualifying format in CONCACAF that will probably be ratified by FIFA:

Why you will hate the new CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying Format

Essentially, at the end of qualifying, the top 8 teams are split into two separate groups. The top team in each group automatically qualifies for the World Cup...the next two will play each other for the third World Cup spot, and the loser of this match will probably be playing 5th place South American team for a chance at the World Cup.

Better for smaller countries, crappy for USA and Mexico.

LAMMME

xbhaskarx

Atlagev said:
It also hurts because we can't count on Mexico to fuck everyone's goal difference at Azteca by beating them 6-0 at home...

It also greatly reduces the chances of one of the things every USMNT fan dreams about: the US finishing first in World Cup qualifying by beating Mexico at Azteca (2-0 of course).

Atlagev

daoster said:
Here's a good explanation of the new qualifying format in CONCACAF that will probably be ratified by FIFA:

Why you will hate the new CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying Format

Essentially, at the end of qualifying, the top 8 teams are split into two separate groups. The top team in each group automatically qualifies for the World Cup...the next two will play each other for the third World Cup spot, and the loser of this match will probably be playing 5th place South American team for a chance at the World Cup.

That last group is not going to be easy. Sure, there might be 2 relative walkovers in the group (if you can call a team like El Salvador or Guatemala a walkover... Playing away games there will *not* be fun, especially with so much at stake), but the last team is going to be someone like Costa Rica or Honduras. And we'll have to finish top of the group, so there's no "safe zone" like there was in the Hex. *And* it's only 6 matches, so a dubious call or off-day could really, really hurt us.

Did I mention how much this sucks?

Better for smaller countries, crappy for USA and Mexico.

Better for Trinidad & Tobago... Hmm... I wonder why...

Atlagev

xbhaskarx said:
It also greatly reduces the chances of one of the things every USMNT fan dreams about: the US finishing first in World Cup qualifying by beating Mexico at Azteca (2-0 of course).

Absolutely! I was there in 2001, but missed the last 2 cycles. I was going to try to go to the qualifier at Azteca for 2014, but I guess there won't be one. :-(

Some MLS action tonight.

On telefutura, the SUPERLIGA final is about to kick off. (7:15pm est)

The New England revs take on Morelia in what will surely be an empty Gillette stadium. The last 3 finals have ended in penalties. This time, I expect a goal fest.

On FSC, the US Open semi finals!

Match 1: Columbus Crew at DC United 7:30 pm ET
Match 2: Chivas USA at Seattle Sounders (Starfire Sprts Complex)7:30 pm PT

shoplifter

jamesinclair said:
Some MLS action tonight.

On telefutura, the SUPERLIGA final is about to kick off. (7:15pm est)

The New England revs take on Morelia in what will surely be an empty Gillette stadium. The last 3 finals have ended in penalties. This time, I expect a goal fest.

On FSC, the US Open semi finals!

Match 1: Columbus Crew at DC United 7:30 pm ET
Match 2: Chivas USA at Seattle Sounders (Starfire Sprts Complex)7:30 pm PT

Not on FSC by the way - they're only on the team websites to stream.

\/\/ that too

Atlagev

shoplifter said:
I swear I'm going to work on a Jack Warner chant for our Champions League match with Joe Public.

Here's my quick attempt. :) To the tune of "The Great Escape": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjF8sjuPLxU

"Warner! Oh Jaaack Warner!
Nobody likes Jaaack Warner!
Warner! Oh Jaaack Warner!
Not even your own team!"

You know what the sad thing is? T & T is actually a decent team with good players and doesn't really play dirty. We're always treated so nice when we play down there, and they do a bad-ass version of our national anthem. I just want them to fail so Jack's schemes fail to get realized. But remember, he stole money even from the T & T national team! They don't like him either!

In any case, he's a scumbag, no matter his nationality...

shoplifter

Holy fuck, penalty.

Guille to the spot!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLAAAAAAAAAAZO

p1_barrosschelotto.jpg

crewcrowd~s600x600.jpg

shoplifter

Saturday's match is either going to be a slaughter vs. a completely demoralized Scum or they're going to come out trying to hack our guys to death.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
xbhaskarx said:

In yar dreaaammmzzz!!
groundskeeper_willie_freddy.jpg

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
shoplifter said:
Saturday's match is either going to be a slaughter vs. a completely demoralized Scum or they're going to come out trying to hack our guys to death.

Why are you calling DC scum? There were bad calls for both teams this game. I knew once Talley was being subbed in, we were going to lose.

Weaselred

Sounders onto the USOC Final for the second year in a row :)

I think I might love Fredy Montero more than my mother.

2012784343.jpg

I think that the crowd at starfire is generally better than normal home games but hosting the final at Qwest is going to be something special. Too bad it's going going to be on FSC and barely anybody will get to see it.

http://butyoudidntwinthisone.com/

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
shoplifter said:
Who can own a tree? Who can own a rock? Only the Great Spirit.

seriously, they've been called that for *years*

I just started following DC this year so I did not know this. :D I'm looking forward to the game on Saturday.

xbhaskarx

American legend McBride to retire at end of season

6a00e54ef2975b8833013486bec24b970c-400wi

U.S. men's national team legend and Chicago Fire captain Brian McBride has enjoyed one of the most successful careers in American soccer history and that career will close its final chapter at the end of this MLS season.

McBride will announce his retirement today, effective at the end of the season, sources have told SBI. The 38-year-old striker began his professional career 16 years ago in Germany before signing with Major League Soccer and becoming the first draft pick in the league's history.

McBride enjoyed nine memorable seasons with the Columbus Crew, and two successful loan stints in England (with Preston North End and Everton) before signing with Fulham. He became a folk hero at Craven Cottage during his four-year stint, serving as the club's leading scorer and captain before returning to MLS in 2008 with the Chicago Fire.

To many American fans, it will be McBride's contributions to the U.S. national team that stand out the most, with his three World Cups, 96 appearances and 30 international goals before his retirement in 2006.

A true American hero and legend, and almost certainly the best US striker ever.
To me McBride is the player who best embodies what the USMNT represents.

shoplifter

xbhaskarx said:
McBride leaves legacy as the quintessential U.S. target man

Are you McRetarded? The dude is from Chicago, anyone who is a legend in England and for the USMNT has earned the right to end his career with his hometown team.

As soon as he doesn't play for the F*re anymore I'll laud him with praise. We *do* still have that Lego sculpture of him in the front office.

To a Crew supporter, him coming back to play for the fucking F*re would be like Bobby Orr playing for the Habs. And yes, my favorite player to ever wear a US kit. Easily.

daoster

Slowwww weekend cause of the International break for the EURO qualifiers...

Though Beasley, having just joined Hannover, scored in a friendly though!

Back to the Brian McBride love though....McBride was a guy who never seemed as the most skillful of players. Even in our last pool of characters, there were players who were arguably more skillful on the ball than Brian McBride. But he had that nose for sniffing out the oh so important goals. He scored when it REALLY mattered (his goal against Portugal was the goal that got us through to the Round of 16 in 2002).

He always seemed like the kind of guy who put club and country over his own physical well being, always getting into dangerous as hell situations. The guy can't even go past metal detectors cause he's more machine than man these days.

It's also something I don't really see in our players these days. Not that they don't want to play for the USA (cause they do), and not that they don't work hard (they do), but they (especially our striker) doesn't seem to have the intensity to DO WHAT IT TAKES to get that one goal.

The only person who might have that intensity is Dempsey, but he's no way as humble as McBride is (but that's what makes Dempsey Dempsey).

I pray that McBride's retirement isn't the last that we'll see of him, and that he'll come back in a coaching position.

2022 World Cup win with Brian McBride as our manager. BELIEVE

xbhaskarx

The US bid for 2022 may be helped by China looking to host in 2026

Is China Ready to Host the World Cup — in 16 Years?

But while it might seem premature to discuss a World Cup so far away, Wei's comments could have a major impact on the selection process for 2018 and 2022. FIFA likes to rotate the hosting duties by continent every four years. Because Brazil is hosting the next tournament in 2014, FIFA has been expected to give the 2018 World Cup to Europe (England and a joint Spain-Portugal bid are the favorites) and the 2022 tournament to Asia (Japan, South Korea, Qatar and Australia are in the running). But if China is seriously eyeing a 2026 bid, FIFA may decide to skip Asia in 2022 and give that World Cup to the only North American bidder — the U.S.

One thing is fairly certain: FIFA, the organization that runs the World Cup and decides the hosts, would likely do backflips if China tossed its hat in the ring, opening up the largest untapped soccer market in the world. Wei said as much in another interview last month with Titan Sports, the country's leading sports newspaper, noting that FIFA president Sepp Blatter told him that China's rising influence in the world means there's an "irresistible trend" toward China hosting the event. (Although Blatter has encouraged a China bid in the past, he's also been forceful in his support of Qatar's 2022 bid, saying in April, "The Arab world deserves to host the World Cup.") In another sign of how serious China is about hosting, Wei has also made statements that appear aimed at influencing the 2022 decision, openly backing the U.S. bid and taking unsportsmanlike potshots at Qatar. "Qatar is so hot," he told Titan Sports. "What's the population of that country? How can they fill their venues with people?"

Well i will have a fun Oct 8th-10th.

Flying up to Chicago that Friday to catch the Fire vs Crew.... hopefully will get to see McBride for his final season.

Then USA v Poland the following night in which we (The American Outlaws) are giving McBride a send off he will always remember. We've even got a song ready for him. :)

If you have FSC please watch. You will hear us.

MidnightRider said:
Well i will have a fun Oct 8th-10th.

Flying up to Chicago that Friday to catch the Fire vs Crew.... hopefully will get to see McBride for his final season.

Then USA v Poland the following night in which we (The American Outlaws) are giving McBride a send off he will always remember. We've even got a song ready for him. :)

Post a reminder in this thread as it gets closer please :)

xbhaskarx

MidnightRider said:

Excellent!

xbhaskarx

"Disgrace to the Premier League"

Not only had Wolves earned six yellow cards and a red, but Fulham’s living legend Bobby Zamora had his right leg broken by Wolves captain Karl Henry and won’t be back on the pitch for about four months..

Fulham managed to pull themselves together and fight back from 1-nil down to win 2-1 in injury time. But three points isn’t enough to compensate for four Zamora-less months. And the Fulham players knew that, as Clint Dempsey came right up to Karl Henry and verbally abused him like only a part-athlete, part-rapper could do. Clint’s colourful language essentially accused Henry of deliberately breaking Zamora’s ankle. Surely it’s a serious declaration to accuse a fellow professional of hurting another internationally, but did Dempsey’s outrage have merit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom