• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
daoster said:
FIFA has confirmed the second friendly vs. Columbia.

October 12 - USA v Columbia in New York (probably Red Bulls Arena).

freaking NYC, that's two friendlies in the span of like 3 months.

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=usa/fixturesresults/gender=m/index.html#

Maybe we'll see two completely different teams for these two games? (The Poland friendly is on the 9th of October in Chicago).

Hmmm...at this point it I hope we start some different players (Gomez) to work on the team's Gold Cup efforts.

That said, I'm dying to see the USMNT, but they rarely visit the southeast. I think Cary, NC is the last place I remember them playing down here.

xbhaskarx

Thanks for the update.

daoster said:
Is Bolton's midfield depth that bad? Or is Stuart Holden just that good? The guy barely played in the World Cup (what, like 5 minutes?), played only 3 games last year before got his leg broken (by kung fu master De Jong), and met up with Bolton LATE this year...and he's still starting and playing the full 90 for Bolton! This will be Stuart Holden's breakout year, and our USMNT midfield just got much much more crowded.

I'm surprised Holden didn't play more at the World Cup, perhaps they didn't think he was fully recovered from his broken leg?

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
I'm surprised Holden didn't play more at the World Cup, perhaps they didn't think he was fully recovered from his broken leg?

Probably. The fact that he wasn't match fit and was still brought along the World Cup is probably a testament to his skills as well...though on the flip side, it showed how desperate we were to bring along Gooch, since he obviously wasn't ready to be playing (though in fairness, he played a good game against England).

Bob Bradley update via Grant Wahl's twitter:

GrantWahl said:
US coach update: Donovan tells @KyleMartino "my gut says probably no" on Bradley extension. Klinsmann e-mails me: still on vaca in PacNW.

I'd like to say....USSF have really treated Bradley like shit. Slapping an interim tag on him for his first year, and now playing this game of "will they or will they not keep him," possibly screwing Bradley out of other potential job opportunities. They should have talked to Bob immediately following the World Cup and let him know whether or not they were gonna keep him on for the next cycle.

I really hope Sunil's been talking to other candidates other than Klinsmann, cause if that shit doesn't work out...

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I went to my first soccer match over the weekend. It was great seeing United beat the Union while getting soaked. I'll definitely try to make it to one more match this season.

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
I'd like to say....USSF have really treated Bradley like shit. Slapping an interim tag on him for his first year, and now playing this game of "will they or will they not keep him," possibly screwing Bradley out of other potential job opportunities. They should have talked to Bob immediately following the World Cup and let him know whether or not they were gonna keep him on for the next cycle.
I disagree, if anything they're doing him a favor because they want him to get a job in Europe. It's not like this period where his future with the USMNT is up in the air is keeping him from publicly expressing his interest in other jobs (Aston Villa) or even being on the list of potential hires (Fulham). If they said he was definitely not coming back, that would almost be equivalent to firing him (even though almost every WC manager gets replaced internationally), and that might make it less likely for him to get another job. Given the bias against Americans they will say "if the US doesn't want him why should we hire him?"

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
I disagree, if anything they're doing him a favor because they want him to get a job in Europe. It's not like this period where his future with the USMNT is up in the air is keeping him from publicly expressing his interest in other jobs (Aston Villa) or even being on the list of potential hires (Fulham). If they said he was definitely not coming back, that would almost be equivalent to firing him (even though almost every WC manager gets replaced internationally), and that might make it less likely for him to get another job. Given the bias against Americans they will say "if the US doesn't want him why should we hire him?"

Eh, from everything I've read, Europeans have had a generally much better opinion of Bob than some Americans do. There will always be that bias against Americans though, whether or not the USSF decides to keep him. I just think it's totally unprofessional the way USSF has handled the Bob Bradley situation, and how they handled Bob initially, e.g. giving him that "interim" tag for nearly a year before finally naming him our manager. There's just this huge shadow over the USMNT while this shit gets sorted, and I'm of the belief that the sooner we take care of Bob Bradley, the sooner we can finally move on towards the 2014 cycle, and everything that it entails.

Another update from Grant Wahl:
Grant Wahl said:
US coach update: Bob Bradley will meet with US Soccer president Sunil Gulati on Thursday to talk about future.

What exactly have they been doing between the end of the World Cup run and now? Doesn't Sunil have to get ready for school to start again?

Stuck

sazabirules said:
I went to my first soccer match over the weekend. It was great seeing United beat the Union while getting soaked. I'll definitely try to make it to one more match this season.

I also went to my first match this weekend, except it was the Galaxy at San Jose. I'm definitely going to try to make it out more. Buck Shaw Stadium in Santa Clara is incredibly small (only sits around 10k, I believe), so it was nice to have everyone sit so close to the action. Really gave the whole thing a college atmosphere.

xbhaskarx

Stuck said:
I also went to my first match this weekend, except it was the Galaxy at San Jose. I'm definitely going to try to make it out more. Buck Shaw Stadium in Santa Clara is incredibly small (only sits around 10k, I believe), so it was nice to have everyone sit so close to the action. Really gave the whole thing a college atmosphere.

What's the status of the Quakes new stadium in San Jose? Have they started building it yet?

Stuck

xbhaskarx said:
What's the status of the Quakes new stadium in San Jose? Have they started building it yet?

To my knowledge (which may be out of date), the city of San Jose approved a rezoning of the site for the stadium this past March. So at this point, naming rights can be sold and sponsors can be brought in to help with funding, but no date for construction to begin yet.

daoster

First BBC, now Sky Sports...It'd be exciting at the very least to see Bob at Aston Villa.

Bradley confirms Villa interest

USA boss Bob Bradley has confirmed he would be very interested in the Aston Villa job - but he has not had any contact from the club.

The coach is the even-money favourite with Sky Bet to take over at Villa Park following Martin O'Neill's shock departure on the eve of the new season.

Now that I think about it, Aston Villa is the EPL team with the most Americans at the present: Brad Friedel, Brad Guzan, and Eric Lichaj.

Mindlog

I'm not always replying, but I am always reading. Thank you for the continuous updates.

Flagworthy imo.

I have no read on whether or not the USSF is trying to help Bradley get a job. The USSF just seems so listless to me. I'd like to see some more decisiveness even if it's wrong. I don't even know what that decisiveness entails... academy reform/formation changes???

Perhaps I'm still over reacting to the Brazil match :lol

shoplifter

Sitting in the HSH clubhouse waiting for the Crew/Santos match to start. Expecting a drubbing since we sent a B team, but hoping for a shocker.

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
If Bradley has not had any contact from the club, why is he the even-money favorite in the betting odds?

Probably because..."lolz, the owner of Aston Villa is American, and Bob Bradley is American...1+1=1??"

Mindlog said:
I'm not always replying, but I am always reading. Thank you for the continuous updates.

Flagworthy imo.

I have no read on whether or not the USSF is trying to help Bradley get a job. The USSF just seems so listless to me. I'd like to see some more decisiveness even if it's wrong. I don't even know what that decisiveness entails... academy reform/formation changes???

Perhaps I'm still over reacting to the Brazil match :lol

No problem! Haha, yeah, I think you're still overreacting over Brazil.

Overall, I think the USSF has a good head on its shoulders and Sunil has a clear vision for what he wants for the US Soccer program (and it's a good vision). It's just with this Bob Bradley Saga...dragging their feet like this just kinda infuriates me.

I think, however, that both sides might be trying to leverage the other...Bob can demand more money from USSF cause he's supposedly has opportunities abroad, and USSF can demand Klinsmann (or another foreign coach) take a pay cut, cause Bob is a very able coach, and they might stick with him, unless they take a relatively low wage.

(Though if 6 figures is considered a low-wage, I'll take it)

daoster

With about a week left in the funny season, some US Players still don't have clubs (most notably DaMarcus Beasley and Jay DeMerit.

That might change soon for Beasley though, according to SoccerByIves

Beasley in talks with Hannover

According to German outlet Bild, Beasley is in talks with Hannover 96 as the club looks for a replacement for injured winger Carlitos.

He'd join fellow USMNT player Steve Cherundolo, who happens to be the captain of Hannover.

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
Overall, I think the USSF has a good head on its shoulders and Sunil has a clear vision for what he wants for the US Soccer program (and it's a good vision). It's just with this Bob Bradley Saga...dragging their feet like this just kinda infuriates me.

I don't really understand why you consider it "dragging their feet"... it's been a month since the World Cup. Hell, even as a lame duck Bradley is already bringing in new faces like Omar Gonzalez. Klinsmann's name isn't even connected to any other managerial jobs, is it? What's the big rush?

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
I don't really understand why you consider it "dragging their feet"... it's been a month since the World Cup. Hell, even as a lame duck Bradley is already bringing in new faces like Omar Gonzalez. Klinsmann's name isn't even connected to any other managerial jobs, is it? What's the big rush?

Say you have a temp job, and you're looking to work on a permanent basis. Your boss says that after the current quarter, he'll sit down and have a talk with you and he'll decide what to do about your temp position. It's been a month after the quarter is over, and you still haven't had that talk...he keeps on promising it, but nada.

Should you look for another job (yes you should)? What if you're going to get to keep the job? What are you going to do?

It's not a perfect analogy, but the uncertainty just casts this whole shadow over the whole thing.

Sunil has said that he wanted to discuss Bob's future a couple of weeks after the World Cup to get a better perspective on things, and that's a fine idea. But it's been two months now since the USA was knocked out of the World Cup...how much more perspective will Sunil get?

All I'm saying is...if you're going to keep Bradley, then tell him already, so he can get on with his job. If you're already going to get rid of Bradley, then get rid of him, then you can begin the process of looking for another coach.

I have no problems with USSF taking awhile to choose a new coach, as we can have anybody care take the US for the last 3 or so friendlies we have this year, but it takes this long to decide whether or not they want to keep someone?

daoster

Dempsey scored in yesterday's Carling Cup game.
Altidore has the chance to play in today's Europa League game (he was announced in the squad).

At least two Americans (possibly 3) will be playing in the Champions League this year!

Group B:
Olympique Lyonnais
Benfica
FC Schalke - Jermaine Jones
Hapoel Tel-Aviv

Group C:
Manchester United
Valencia
Rangers - Maurice Edu
Buraspor

Group G:
AC Milan - Oguchi Onyewu (though unfortunately, I doubt he'll be playing)
Real Madrid
Ajax
AJ Auxerre

daoster

Clydefrog said:
Thanks for the updates, man!

No problem!

- Jozy Altidore saw 72 minutes of gameplay in yesterday's Europa League qualifier for Villareal!
- Brad Guzan played the full 90 in yesterday's loss to Rapid Vienna in the Europa qualifying for Aston Villa.

Here's a video of Clint's goal the other day for Fulham: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiMFIPrsXio
Nice of him to run over to Eddie Johnson after scoring the goal.

At least 2 USMNT players will be playing in the Europa League this year:

Group D
Villarreal - Jozy Altidore
Club Brugge
Dinamo Zagreb
PAOK FC

Group G
Zenit St Petersburg
Anderlecht - Sacha Kljestan
AEK Athens
Hajduk Split

And looks like Beasley has finally found a club...all signs point to Hannover!

Beasley said:
Afternoon my friends.. Leavin for europe tomorrow night! Can't wait to be back. When I sign on the dotted line, u ALL will be first to know!

daoster

Boom!

U.S. Soccer has met with former German team coach Jurgen Klinsmann about the national team coaching job, currently held by Bob Bradley, according to a source with knowledge of the discussions.

In other news, I think is the most Yanks that will be playing in the European competitions that I can remember (between both Champions League and Europa Leage). Here's hoping that the yanks and their respective teams get far...knock out rounds, and beyond!

daoster said:
Here's a video of Clint's goal the other day for Fulham: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiMFIPrsXio
Nice of him to run over to Eddie Johnson after scoring the goal.

Clint Dempsey you magnificent son of a bitch

daoster said:

So USA 2013/14 = Germany 2006 right?

I hope this is a case of "you get what you ask for" turns out to be a good thing for us. We'll see. I'd love to see what he can do with our team, but at the same time I have a bad feeling this could turn out to be a turd in the end.

daoster

Gamecocks625 said:
So USA 2013/14 = Germany 2006 right?

I hope this is a case of "you get what you ask for" turns out to be a good thing for us. We'll see. I'd love to see what he can do with our team, but at the same time I have a bad feeling this could turn out to be a turd in the end.

Meh, people are already complaining about him based on his time at Bayern. I predict that we might have a slow start with Jurgen, and then the people at BigSoccer and the likes will be calling for his head, and demand somebody else.

I think Klinsmann would be an awesome, awesome manager for the USMNT. It's like the perfect combination:
- World Cup winner
- Played for some of the largest clubs in the world
- Guided Germany to a third place finished
- Speaks perfect English
- Lives in America, and loves it more than his homeland.
- Is familiar with the MLS players and the MLS system (or at least, more familiar than another international coach would be).

I'm sorta excited.

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
I think Klinsmann would be an awesome, awesome manager for the USMNT. It's like the perfect combination:
- World Cup winner
- Played for some of the largest clubs in the world
- Guided Germany to a third place finished
- Speaks perfect English
- Lives in America, and loves it more than his homeland.
- Is familiar with the MLS players and the MLS system (or at least, more familiar than another international coach would be).

I'm sorta excited.

Agreed, I am also excited.

Mindlog

daoster said:
Sunil has said that he wanted to discuss Bob's future a couple of weeks after the World Cup to get a better perspective on things, and that's a fine idea. But it's been two months now since the USA was knocked out of the World Cup...how much more perspective will Sunil get?

All I'm saying is...if you're going to keep Bradley, then tell him already, so he can get on with his job. If you're already going to get rid of Bradley, then get rid of him, then you can begin the process of looking for another coach.

I have no problems with USSF taking awhile to choose a new coach, as we can have anybody care take the US for the last 3 or so friendlies we have this year, but it takes this long to decide whether or not they want to keep someone?

Perfectly sums up my feelings. After 'a grieving period' I decided that Bradley's personal qualifications peaked after the Confed Cup. The USSF should have decided then whether or not the CONFED results were worth a long term renewal or not.

I can't really complain if the the USSF keeps Bradley, but at least let him know. Thankfully they're meeting very soon(a couple of days.) The US soccer/football/futbol system is beyond the repair of one coach.

As it stands now I have to be ecstatic if the US exits group stage in a World Cup. I really really want to advance my expectations, but I can't. I watched the last friendly and I completely understand that the current gulf between Brazilian and US play in insurmountable in the short term. I'll be rooting for the USA until I die and hopefully they'll validate that faith before I meet my end. The celebration of such a victory would be my end.

Caveat Emptor: I am a die hard USA fan without complete education in international competition. I just want to see a USA quarterfinal before I die.

ps. before I finish my edits
daoster, deserves a USA flag as much as any other Soccer/Football/Fussball contributor

daoster

Mindlog said:
Caveat Emptor: I am a die hard USA fan without complete education in international competition. I just want to see a USA quarterfinal before I die.

We were in the quarterfinals in 2002! Germany squeaked by us in the Quarterfinal game in S. Korea, and had the referee called the handball on Frings, we might have gone on to win the game and face a rematch with S. Korea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLtT0imwdCQ
We got robbed out of a penalty!

Results for USMNT players abroad:
- Tim Howard's Everton and Brad Friedel's Aston Villa had a goal keeper's duel today, with Friedel's side winning 1-0. Guzan and Lichaj were unused subs.
- Marcus Hahnemann was the goalkeeper for the Wolves' 1-1 tie with Newcastle.
- Jonathan Spector played the full 90 for West Ham when they lost to Manchester United 3-0
- Clint Dempsey came on as a sub in the 59th minute for Fulham. Eddie Johnson wasn't even on the bench.
- Stuart Holden played 72 minutes for Bolton's 2-2 draw with Birmingham.
- Maurice Edu came on as a sub in the 83rd minute for Rangers.
- Jozy Altidore played for 70+ minutes for Villareal in their Europa League qualifiers earlier this week. He wasn't on the bench for today's league game though.
- Gooch wasn't on the bench for AC Milan's win today.
- Jose Torres started and played the full 90 for Pachuca's 3-1 loss. Herculez Gomez came in the 79th minute.
- Michael Bradley played the full 90 in Borussia Monchengladbach's 6-3 win over Bayer Leverkusen
- Jermaine Jones scored a goal for Schalke in their 2-1 loss to Steve Cherundolo's (and soon to be DaMarcus Beasley's) Hannover.

Here's a video of Jones' goal (about the 3:28 mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_-fnOngc9o&feature=player_embedded

I was reading one of the topics on bigsoccer, and one of the posters made a good point (which is rare for that forum). But this is the bar that Bob Bradley has set, and if Jurgen Klinsmann is indeed going to be the next USMNT manager, he should at least do the following:

1. Win Gold Cup.
2. Qualify For World Cup.
3. Finish first in CONCACAF.
4. Advance to second round of World Cup.
5. Win World Cup Group.
6. Advance to Quarterfinals.

For all the hate that Bob Bradley gets, he did all of the above (other than #6, of course). Klinsmann should be able to, right? :D

daoster said:
I was reading one of the topics on bigsoccer, and one of the posters made a good point (which is rare for that forum). But this is the bar that Bob Bradley has set, and if Jurgen Klinsmann is indeed going to be the next USMNT manager, he should at least do the following:

For all the hate that Bob Bradley gets, he did all of the above (other than #6, of course). Klinsmann should be able to, right? :D

Incredible list of achievements when you sit back and look at it. The Ghana game killed us I think. If we beat Ghana to get to the Quarterfinals, Bob Bradley is sitting on a 4 year extension.

daoster

DaMarcus Beasley has officially joined Hannover96! He'll be joining the mayor of Hannover, AKA Steve Chrundolo!

Beasley's Twitter said:
I have officially signed for Hannover96.. Very excited w/ this adventure and to start playin! Thanks for all continued support my friends!!

whm8tj.jpg

here's a pic i took at the USA-brazil game the other week. i was really impressed with the turnout, actually; a lot of people were clearly there for the novelty, but close to 80000 people is a great crowd by anyone's standards.

xbhaskarx

daoster said:

1. Win Gold Cup.
2. Qualify For World Cup.
3. Finish first in CONCACAF.
4. Advance to second round of World Cup.
5. Win World Cup Group.
6. Advance to Quarterfinals.

You forgot beat Spain, and finish second in the Confederations Cup.
This is why I don't get the Bob Bradley hate, he pretty much accomplished everything that anyone could have reasonably expected out of our team. My theory is that people are uninformed idiots who like to complain about everything.

Mindlog

That looks like it could have been quite an enjoyable event.

daoster said:
We were in the quarterfinals in 2002! Germany squeaked by us in the Quarterfinal game in S. Korea, and had the referee called the handball on Frings, we might have gone on to win the game and face a rematch with S. Korea...

I meant again! ;P
I dare not say semis and curse the team.

xbhaskarx said:
You forgot beat Spain, and finish second in the Confederations Cup.
This is why I don't get the Bob Bradley hate, he pretty much accomplished everything that anyone could have reasonably expected out of our team. My theory is that people are uninformed idiots who like to complain about everything.

Because "Bob" doesn't sound foreign and foreigners know more about soccer...I mean football.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
345triangle said:
whm8tj.jpg

here's a pic i took at the USA-brazil game the other week. i was really impressed with the turnout, actually; a lot of people were clearly there for the novelty, but close to 80000 people is a great crowd by anyone's standards.
Man, that looks awesome.

I really wanted to go, but decent tickets were just way too much.

Some day.

daoster

345triangle said:
whm8tj.jpg

80k for something of "novelty," I wish more US games were a novelty for more people then! Hopefully this enthusiasm carries on to the next two friendlies!

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
345triangle said:
whm8tj.jpg

I see way too many Brazil jerseys.

xbhaskarx

For some reason that link doesn't work, here it is:

U.S. Soccer and Bob Bradley Agree to Contract Extension

CHICAGO (Aug. 30, 2010) — U.S. Soccer has agreed to a contract extension with U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Bob Bradley. The agreement with Bradley, who guided the U.S. team to numerous achievements including finishing in first place in their group at the 2010 FIFA World Cup for the first time in 80 years, will keep him at the helm through the end of 2014.

The 52-year-old Bradley has compiled a record of 38-20-8 in four years in charge of the U.S. team. After winning the 2007 Gold Cup, the regional championship of CONCACAF, he led the United States to their first final of a major FIFA tournament, reaching the championship match of the 2009 Confederations Cup after a 2-0 victory against No.-1 ranked and current World Cup champions Spain in the semifinal.

Prior to the team’s run in South Africa, Bradley marshaled the U.S. to a first place finish in CONCACAF qualifying for the 2010 FIFA World Cup ahead of regional rivals Mexico.

I hope the Bradley haters address the list of accomplishments daoster posted above.

xbhaskarx

schuelma said:
I'm not a Bradley hater, but I definitely subscribe to the idea that 8 years as a national team coach rarely works.

That is certainly a legitimate point. Hopefully it works a lot better with Bradley than it did with Arena.

daoster

Haha, what a ride US Soccer put us through, only to have Bob back!

Well, congrats, Bob.

I know the record for 2nd coaches have kinda stunk, but amongst the total list of coaches who have done 2 World Cups, there have been coaches who've done better (even gone on to win the World Cup!)...and I'm a gambling man....so...I'm going to bet on Bob doing AT least the same or better than this year in 2014.

The reason? I think our lack of depth in the backline for 2010 will be addressed by 2014.

Our midfielder such as Jose Torres, Alejandro Bedoya, Stuart Holden, and Maurice Edu will have had more significant playing time, both for club and country, and will grow as players. Plus, if Jermaine Jones will be healthy by 2014, he will be an immense addition to our team. Michael Bradley will just keep on getting better. And who knows who will appear on the scene that we don't know yet? If there's anything I'm not worried about for the USMNT, it's the midfielder.

Plus Ricardo Clark will probably be too old.

Our forwards...well, our depth in forwards will still be anemic...but that's not something Bob (or Klinsmann) can easily change. Maybe Charlie Davies will regain his old form back, maybe Altidore will grow into a better finisher at Villareal, maybe Dempsey will be playing the striker role more often, or maybe somebody else will take the stand.

I won't lie and say I'm not a little disappointed, since I kind of wanted to see if Klinsmann could have done better. Still, I know we're in good hands with Bob.

So to reiterate my prediction: at least same or better in 2014 from Bob! We were one goal away from a quarterfinals, this time, let's get into the Quarterfinals.

For those who're interested, the Grant Wahl from Sports Illustrated did an analysis of the 48 managers who coached 2 successive World Cups for the same country:
- 25 did worse
- 13 did better
- 10 did worse

And you'd have to go all the way back to 1990 for the last coach to fair better the second time around (Sir Bobby Robson for England).

Be #14 Bob!

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
I won't lie and say I'm not a little disappointed, since I kind of wanted to see if Klinsmann could have done better. Still, I know we're in good hands with Bob.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I'm fine with bringing Bob back, but I would also have been happy with Klinsmann.

daoster

Something a little crazy right now...

Bob Bradley is trending pretty high on twitter right now (in the United States). Only behind CALA BOCA SABRINA (que?) and Hurricane Earl.

glad to see Bob got extended, may not be the best coach but at least he cares, not sure Klinsman would give 100%

also see the boys are making a trip next month to my backyard PPL Park AKA the "House of Doop" to play Colombia, cant wait, should be a more pro USA crowd than the Brazil game

daoster said:
80k for something of "novelty," I wish more US games were a novelty for more people then! Hopefully this enthusiasm carries on to the next two friendlies!

i mean, there were a bunch of americans in brazil shirts hearing my british accent and asking me to explain the offside rule and whether kick-off was called kick-off :/ nothing against them, everyone has to start somewhere, i'm just saying that it wasn't 80,000 big US soccer fans!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom