• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlagev

Anybody watching the Saprissa - Sounders FC game on FSC?

Sounders playing pretty well... Maybe the best a U.S. team has ever played in Saprissa. ;-) It's amazing how less scary that place is when it's not packed with crazy Costa Rican fans climbing the barbed wire fences. Unfortunately, Leo Gonzalez (ironically, a Costa Rican) picked up a red card in the first half for a mistimed tackle, so Seattle might get stretched a bit in the second half.

Also, good on the Crew for taking out Jack's team earlier tonight 3-0. :)

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Atlagev said:
Anybody watching the Saprissa - Sounders FC game on FSC?

Sounders playing pretty well... Maybe the best a U.S. team has ever played in Saprissa. ;-) It's amazing how less scary that place is when it's not packed with crazy Costa Rican fans climbing the barbed wire fences. Unfortunately, Leo Gonzalez (ironically, a Costa Rican) picked up a red card in the first half for a mistimed tackle, so Seattle might get stretched a bit in the second half.

no but Im watching the Santos vs Municipal match. Now I know why the mexican announcers said that Saprissa is winning because of that dude gettin the red card.:lol :lol
....and SS dude gets a yellow.

oh shit Saprissa scored!
:eek:

SS fans suicide watch?

shoplifter

Atlagev said:

don't know how they came off on TV (if at all) but there were some 'Jack Warner's a fuckin pedophile' and 'Jack's got balls on his chin' chants going on from Nordecke. I'll have to watch tomorrow to see how we (all 100 of us) sounded.

Pretty pissed off at the attendance, the tickets were *part of the season ticket packages* and I'd venture that only 1/3 of season ticket holders could be bothered to show up.

Verano

Clydefrog said:
Fucking Sounders.
vobi2w.png

well Mexican teams ain't different in being lazy. Monterrey who beat the Sounders 2-0 a few weeks back pretty much chilled back with some reserves for their match vs Marathon at home with a 2-0 win earlier today. Same can be said with Santos Laguna who also chilled back too mcuh and ended up tying 2-2 vs Municipal using a few starters, a backup GK and a mix of youth plus reserves players.

shoplifter

From bigsoccer:

myshap said:
In the first half we sung the Pedophile Song using Jack Warner. At half time someone that was sitting by the boxes on the west side said his sons were in attendance and were going absolutely ape shit about it. We did it again at the start of the second half

Welp, SOMEONE heard it. :lol

daoster

Didn't get to watch any of the games this weekend cause I was away, but here's some cool Yanks Abroad:

- Maurice Edu played the full 90 for Rangers in their 0-0 draw against Manchester United in the Champions League yesterday! According to Sky Sports player rating, he had one of the highest player ratings of either side! (http://www.skysports.com/football/user_ratings/0,19768,11065_3315094,00.html)

- Jermaine Jones played 70 minutes in Schalke's 1-0 loss to Lyon.

Champions League!

shoplifter

platypotamus said:
At least MLS is going well, and they're in the Open Cup finals (I got tickets that's gonna be awesome), so I can cut them a little slack for CONCACAF Champions League, maybe.

They invented the USOC, from what I gather!

Atlagev

U.S. to play South Africa in Cape Town on Wednesday, November 17th.

http://twitter.com/ussoccer:

"U.S. MNT has agreement in principle to play South Africa on Nov. 17 in Cape Town for Nelson Mandela Challenge Cup. Details to be finalized."

So, upcoming friendly schedule looks like this:

Saturday, October 9th vs. Poland at Soldier Field, Chicago.
Tuesday, October 12, 2010 vs. Colombia at PPL Park, Philadelphia
Wednesday, November 17th at South Africa, Cape Town.

I'd love to see some new faces for these games; we still need a new back four, and some more options at forward wouldn't hurt...

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
Didn't get to watch any of the games this weekend cause I was away, but here's some cool Yanks Abroad:

- Maurice Edu played the full 90 for Rangers in their 0-0 draw against Manchester United in the Champions League yesterday! According to Sky Sports player rating, he had one of the highest player ratings of either side! (http://www.skysports.com/football/user_ratings/0,19768,11065_3315094,00.html)

- Jermaine Jones played 70 minutes in Schalke's 1-0 loss to Lyon.

Champions League!

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I'm going to the Columbus Crew game tomorrow (first MLS game out of New England) and my girlfriend and I are pretty excited. Hopefully the atmosphere is 'good' enough to keep her entertained.

:D

daoster

Results for the USMNT players abroad:
- Tim Howard played the full 90 in Everton's 1-0 loss to Newcastle
- Marcus Hahnemann played the full 90 in Wolves' 3-0 loss to Spurs.
- Brad Friedel went the full 90 for Aston Villa's 1-1 tie versus Bolton Wanderers. Guzan dressed but did not play, Lichaj didn't make the bench.
- On the other end, Stuart Holden when the full 90 in Bolton's tie with Aston Villa
- Spector did not make the bench for West Ham's tie.
- Clint Dempsey SCORED the equalizer in Fulham's game against Blackburn. Video here!
- Hell hath frozen over....Eddie Johnson played...12 minutes in Fulham's 1-1 tie against Blackburn.
- Maurice Edu, in addition to playing Champions League, went for 70 minutes in Rangers' 4-0 versus Dundee.
- Jozy Altidore went the full 90 for Villareal's 2-0 Europa loss, and made the bench (but did not play) in Villareal's win against Levante.
- Cherundolo went the full 90 in to Hannover's 2-1 loss to Wolfsburg. Beasley came off the bench and played 13 minutes.
- Michael Bradley went for the full 90 and was spanked along with his team, in BMG's 7-0 loss to Stuggart.
- Jermaine Jones did not play in Schalke's 3-1 loss.
- Bocanegra went the full 90 in St. Etienne's 3-0 win against Montpellier
- Feilhaber SCORED the equalizer for Aarhus against Hobro. Video here.
- Bedoya went the full 90 at Orebro's draw
- Torres played 19 minutes and Gomez played 45 at Pachuca's 1-0 loss.

And...it's been about a month since Bob was reinstated, but Jurgen Klinsmann speaks:

"Verbally we agreed on that the technical side is my side, and I should have a 100 percent control of it. Written terms, they couldn't commit to it. At that point I said, 'Well then, I can't get the job done because I have to have the last say as a head coach for my entire staff, for all the players issues, for everything that happens with the team.' Unfortunately they couldn't commit to that, and that was basically the end of our talks, and then they agreed then to continue with Bob as the head coach, and that's totally fine."

Klinsmann ended negotiations.

Here are a couple of pictures from the Columbus Crew my girlfriend and I went to last weekend. (Crew/Sounders game). It was the first time she has been to a professional match, and she loved it. Shes been bugging me about going again so for her birthday I got us tickets for every home game left on the schedule and the 2 pack of playoff tickets since it's all but assured that the Crew are in.

The Stadium is awesome by the way, the only other MLS game I've been to was at Foxboro where the Patriots play...which is fine but obviously not built for the beautiful game.

59551_439351167079_506532079_5104001_2192319_n.jpg

61153_439351272079_506532079_5104004_5110452_n.jpg

58725_439351262079_506532079_5104003_7746152_n.jpg

60907_439351357079_506532079_5104010_5364691_n.jpg

I have an excuse for looking like rubbish in the picture, they had dollar drafts at the match and that picture was taken after I finished my 10th beer. Dollar drafts at a sporting event blew my mind. :D

shoplifter

Dear Robert:

Die in a fire. With this kind of motivation we'll lose both games and crash out.

Robert Warzycha said:
To be honest with you, we don’t need the point,” Warzycha said. “We don’t need any more points if [Santos] wins against Guatemala [in the final match]. We have to be smart and we have to leave some players behind. We’re going to take enough to play.

Great pics of the Columbus stadium! I've only been to one MLS game and it was the Rapids v Galaxy back in 2003 in Denver so their soccer-specific stadium wasn't built yet.

daoster

Edu went the full 90 today in Rangers' Champion's League win against Bursaspor! He even got the highest player rating (9.0) from Sky Sports....would have been sweeter if he had scored though!

Jermaine Jones came in on the 66th minute for Schalke and assisted on the second goal in their Champion's League win over Benfica!

Now here's an interesting article, via Wall Street Journal, about the USSF and how its authority on soccer in the USA (and by extension, FIFA's) might be in danger...?

Judge's Ruling Questions U.S. Soccer's Power

The United States Soccer Federation has long held nearly monolithic power over both professional and amateur soccer in the United States.

But a recent ruling from a federal judge in Illinois has called that authority into question, putting a sizeable source of revenue for the Chicago-based federation in jeopardy.

Now, I'm not 100% sure what this would mean for the USSF, and despite the article being a day old, I haven't seen any of the soccer-specific sites I usually go to mention it, so...

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
Now here's an interesting article, via Wall Street Journal, about the USSF and how its authority on soccer in the USA (and by extension, FIFA's) might be in danger...?

Judge's Ruling Questions U.S. Soccer's Power

Now, I'm not 100% sure what this would mean for the USSF, and despite the article being a day old, I haven't seen any of the soccer-specific sites I usually go to mention it, so...

Interesting... I don't think it's being mentioned elsewhere because all this ruling does is allow the lawsuit against USSF to go forward.

The actual substance of the article:

At issue is the USSF's basis for collecting a fee to sanction professional matches between international soccer teams that take place on U.S. soil. In a ruling this summer from an ongoing lawsuit between the USSF and a former promoter, U.S. District Court Judge Harry Leinenweber decided the federation's claim that federal legislation allows it to collect such fees has little merit.

A USSF spokesman said the federation has collected the fees since the 1980s. Last year the federation collected $2.9 million in sanctioning fees, up from $1.7 million in 2008.

From 2001 to 2005 one of the major promoters subject to those fees was ChampionsWorld, LLC, a New Jersey-based company that promoted games in the U.S. involving some of the most famous teams in the world, including Manchester United, Chelsea and AC Milan.

Promoters are obligated to pay between 5.25-15% of gross gate receipts, depending on the teams involved and the amount of revenues collected.

But in July Judge Leinenweber ruled the federation doesn't have the right to collect sanctioning fees from promoters and oversee professional soccer in this country unless it relates to qualifying players for the Olympics or other related events.

Lawyers for U.S. Soccer argued the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act gives it this authority, along with FIFA.

However, Judge Leinenweber said those claims make little sense, since the Amateur Sports Act doesn't give this country's national sports governing bodies power over professional leagues and games. If it did, the judge reasoned, then USA Basketball, for instance, would have control over the NBA.

"It is extremely difficult to conclude from a reading of the plain text of the ASA or its legislative history that Congress intended such a result,"
he wrote.

In addition, FIFA, soccer's Switzerland-based worldwide governing body, can't give USSF the power to violate U.S. antitrust laws, the judge stated. The ruling allows the lawsuit from ChampionsWorld against the USSF to move forward and could create some uncomfortable moments for U.S. soccer officials.

Shit, this is a terrible ruling for us, all it does is weaken our soccer federation in terms of power and finances.
I don't think the litigation looks good for them, USSF needs to get Congress to pass a law that actually gives them this power.

Does anyone know if MLS playoff games are usually held on weekends? I'm debating getting the Crew 2 pack of tickets (with scarf) for my girlfriend and I but I'm in law school and can't really miss a week night of studying.

Also what a fucking mess the pitch was during the Municipal v. Crew game, I'm glad he sent the B squad for that shit.

daoster

Man, I'm watching the Villareal - Brugge Europa League game, and Altidore was playing for 85 minutes (good times). But man, Jozy needs to start putting those balls in the goal...he had some really good chances today, but was unable to find that finishing touch.

He was active, but he needs to score! He doesn't get much playing time on the senior team, so he should try to make the most of his time...especially in a European competition.

Clydefrog

daoster said:
Man, I'm watching the Villareal - Brugge Europa League game, and Altidore was playing for 85 minutes (good times). But man, Jozy needs to start putting those balls in the goal...he had some really good chances today, but was unable to find that finishing touch.

He was active, but he needs to score! He doesn't get much playing time on the senior team, so he should try to make the most of his time...especially in a European competition.

Yeah, instead Guiseppe Rossi had to score for Villareal :|

daoster

Hahah, still bitter about Rossi?

US roster announced for next week's friendly!

GOALKEEPERS (2): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton)
DEFENDERS (8): Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Étienne), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Eric Lichaj (Aston Villa), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan), Michael Parkhurst (FC Nordsjaelland), Heath Pearce (FC Dallas), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Alejandro Bedoya (Örebro), Michael Bradley (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Benny Feilhaber (Aarhus), Stuart Holden (Bolton Wanderers), Jermaine Jones (FC Schalke), Brek Shea (FC Dallas)
FORWARDS (3): Jozy Altidore (Villarreal), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Eddie Johnson (Fulham)

Donovan gets a rest! Eddie Johnson gets the call up! And will we finally, FINALLY, get to see Jones play?

Jones + Edu + Bradley = a midfield that's pretty damn strong.

Clydefrog

daoster said:
Hahah, still bitter about Rossi?

US roster announced for next week's friendly!

Donovan gets a rest! Eddie Johnson gets the call up! And will we finally, FINALLY, get to see Jones play?

Jones + Edu + Bradley = a midfield that's pretty damn strong.

Finally, Donovan gets a break :lol poor guy has been going non-stop since January (EPL - World Cup - MLS/MLS friendlies/CCL) plus all of that post-WC publicity.

and, wow, that midfield is actually pretty strong. GO USA!

Stuck

Clydefrog said:
Finally, Donovan gets a break :lol poor guy has been going non-stop since January (EPL - World Cup - MLS/MLS friendlies/CCL) plus all of that post-WC publicity.

and, wow, that midfield is actually pretty strong. GO USA!

Go USA, indeed.

I've been really looking forward to these Poland and Columbia friendlies. Now I just need to find a television in a place with some good atmosphere.

xbhaskarx

Looking forward to Jermaine Jones' debut.

Interesting to see Dempsey at forward and still no Charlie Davies, how is he doing in France?

daoster

USMNT players abroad:
- Clint Dempsey, the magnificent, once again defeated Robert Green. Robert wasn't humiliated this time, but was still felled by Clint's magnificent goal. Check the video here.
- Maybe more surprising is that Eddie Johnson STARTED and played 77 minutes with Clint. I believe this is his very first start for Fulham.
- Jonathan Spector wasn't even on the bench for their draw with Fulham.
- Tim Howard and Co. finally won a game against Birmingham (2-0).
- Brad Friedel was the goalie for Villa's 2-1 loss agains Spurs.
- Guzan was in the 18 man squad, but did not play for Aston Villa. Eric Lichaj did not dress.
- Stuart Holden started and played 90 minutes for Bolton's 1-1 draw against West Brom.
- Edu started and played the full 90 for Rangers' 2-1 win against Midlothian.
- Jozy Altidore started on the bench and stayed on the bench for Villareal's 2-0 win vs Real Satander. Fellow Yank Giuseppi Rossi scored though :D
- Jermaine Jones started and played 53 minutes in Schalke's loss. He also got booted for getting 2 yellow cards.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes (well, he is their captain, so it'd be weird if he didn't) to Hannover's 1-0 loss to St Pauli.
- Beasley dressed but did not play in Hannover.
- Bradley started and played the full 90 in BMG's draw with Wolfsburg.
- Bocanegra started and played 90 minutes in St Etienne's draw.
- Bedoya didn't play this weekend cuz he's on suspension.
- Torres came off the bench and played 22 minutes while Gomez came off the bench and played 6 minutes in Pachuca's 3-1 win against Atlante.

Excited for the international friendlies this week!!!

I love Dempsey. awesome goal

xbhaskarx said:
Looking forward to Jermaine Jones' debut.

Interesting to see Dempsey at forward and still no Charlie Davies, how is he doing in France?

Same here. I think we have some serious potential with Dempsey and Davies up front with a solid midfield if Jones proves to be a good one.

I just want to win the Gold Cup next year so we can book another trip to the Confederations Cup in 2013

daoster

Speaking of Mr. Jermaine Jones...he'll be on the US Soccer's Studio 90 tomorrow according to their Twitter! (They had their practice today, I think?)

HOLY SHIT, THE DAY IS ALMOST HERE...when Jermaine Jones will finally play for the USA.

US Open Cup tonight! Bummed that Nyassi went to go play for his national team, but really looking forward to the game regardless, should be tons of fun.

Also: Going to be in London next month, and I just got 3rd row tickets to Fulham vs Aston Villa. Fuck yes.

shoplifter

platypotamus said:
US Open Cup tonight! Bummed that Nyassi went to go play for his national team, but really looking forward to the game regardless, should be tons of fun.

I am not!

That said if Polska Bob rolls out a lineup that the Fatman knows like the back of his hand, we will be trounced just like the last match.

What I *want* to see:

Gruenebaum
Hejduk/Marshall/Iro/Francis
Gaven/Griffit/GBS/Ekpo
Renteria/Mendoza

I suspect the lineup will be filled with Moffats, Carrolls, and Gareys though.

Verano

shoplifter said:
I am not!

That said if Polska Bob rolls out a lineup that the Fatman knows like the back of his hand, we will be trounced just like the last match.

What I *want* to see:

Gruenebaum
Hejduk/Marshall/Iro/Francis
Gaven/Griffit/GBS/Ekpo
Renteria/Mendoza

I suspect the lineup will be filled with Moffats, Carrolls, and Gareys though.

Renteria is out cuz of int'l duty vs Bolivia and Mexico.

Weaselred

Nyassi was called back by Gambia but not till this weekend so he is good to go today. I'm about ready to head to Qwest. ECS is going to be bonkers tonight.

UP THE SOUNDERS

Weaselred said:
Nyassi was called back by Gambia but not till this weekend so he is good to go today. I'm about ready to head to Qwest. ECS is going to be bonkers tonight.

UP THE SOUNDERS

Oh fuck yes, I thought Arlo White said that last game was his last with the squad for a bit after he scored his goal.

Heading down in about 2 hours myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom