• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

daoster

mikeybwright said:
Just as I was about to praise Holden on the corners, that turnover in the box was terrible.

He's young...he'll get better.

Between him and Jones, I think they're the best two for us playing right now.

zoku88

That was well placed.
mikeybwright said:
I want to punch each and every 8th generation Polish-American at the game right in the face.
It's just a game. Let them cheer for who they want :lol :lol

daoster

Overall thoughts on the game:
- Jozy needs to finish better, or we need to find a better striker.
- Jermaine Jones will be awesome for the U.S. Yes he gave the ball away which led to the second goal, but he won some good balls, and almost everytime he got the ball, he put it forward to Jozy...who couldn't finish it. His first serious touch led to the Jozy goal.
- Defense..sucks...defense sucks...defense sucks!
- Stuart Holden! He's going to be one of our top players this cycle.
- Defense sucks.

Stuck

Just got back from watching the match at a sports bar. There was only one other dude paying attention, which was kind of a bummer.

What a hectic finish, though...bummer we couldn't pull it out at the end. Glad Altidore finally got a goal, but frustrated he didn't capitalize on so many good looks. Jones looked good, hope to see him with the team many more times.

Was a pretty good game I think, little flaws here and there. Had long day of soccer since my son plays U-9, tourney day :/...5 hour delay between game 1 and 2. Finally got home, he kicked off his boots and we tuned into the game :D

I figured Id share with you guys a few of my fave pics from a couple of Union games I went to this year. DC United, FC Dallas, Man U., and the Galaxy. I also included a couple of the new stadium, thing is spectacular..tho built in the ghetto lol. The stadium is so "un-stadium" like, its got the river and a bridge at one end...and the projects a stone throw away. Looks like the town built it like "hey, broke as hell but we got a muti-million dollar stadium for the local highschool!" Couldnt get a good bridge over the stadium shot since it was night tho :C
Place is stunning tho!

In the day time, sitting on the North side of the stadium it looks like this (pic not by me)
YOU CAN SEE NEW JERSEY lol:D :lol :D
ppl-park-d5c268f011938a3e.jpg

Mindlog

Stuck said:
Just got back from watching the match at a sports bar. There was only one other dude paying attention, which was kind of a bummer.

What a hectic finish, though...bummer we couldn't pull it out at the end. Glad Altidore finally got a goal, but frustrated he didn't capitalize on so many good looks. Jones looked good, hope to see him with the team many more times.

Precisely these points.

It was hard keeping track of 4 different sports at the same time while inebriating™.

cool pics Pkm, thanks for sharing

Stuck

Mindlog said:
Precisely these points.

It was hard keeping track of 4 different sports at the same time while inebriating™.

cool pics Pkm, thanks for sharing

Inebriation is trademarked now? Does that mean I have to pay someone royalties? :lol

cashman said:
That was a pretty thrilling last 10 minutes of the game. Can't wait for Tuesday's game.

Ditto. Unfortunately I have a seminar on Tuesday during the first hour of the match. I might have to race home on my bike and turn on the stream via ESPN3. If the game is still going on live, does anyone know if I can start from the beginning or would I have to wait until the whole thing is over and watch the archived replay?

Check it out, I posted this in the FIFA 2011 thread to but...

Sabastian Le Toux!!! My son had his last 2 games of his U-9 Columbus Day Tourney, we finished the second game, grabed his medal (Undefeated!) and jumped in the car and drove to a Best Buy in Philly. We walk in and my son and his friend are still wearing there uniforms, covered in mud with medals around there necks. Le Toux was taken back, dude was so cool! He sparked up a convo with the boys about soccer and there tourney this weekend. We had planned to leave after the games to see him so we had stuff in the car we wanted signed, I chose FIFA lol.
I told him how last year I had to traded him from Seattle and all the other Union players to the Revolution and how we are so happy he is in 11 lol.
He had a FIFA setup next to him and he even watched my son play and joked around since my son had a hat trick with Mwanga but only assist with Le Toux lol.

Daigoro

Decent game yesterday. Lots of bright points and still some of the same old BS. Cant believe we're stuck with Bob until 2014...

Holden is a pimp. A few mistakes yesterday, but so many positives. Jones looks like he is going to be a good addition to the squad as well. Would like to have seen Parkhurst get some play time. Maybe Tuesday.

Poland looked up for it. Good young team theyve got. Pretty entertaining game. Wouldve liked a better result though..

ATF487

Pkm said:
Was a pretty good game I think, little flaws here and there. Had long day of soccer since my son plays U-9, tourney day :/...5 hour delay between game 1 and 2. Finally got home, he kicked off his boots and we tuned into the game :D

I figured Id share with you guys a few of my fave pics from a couple of Union games I went to this year. DC United, FC Dallas, Man U., and the Galaxy. I also included a couple of the new stadium, thing is spectacular..tho built in the ghetto lol. The stadium is so "un-stadium" like, its got the river and a bridge at one end...and the projects a stone throw away. Looks like the town built it like "hey, broke as hell but we got a muti-million dollar stadium for the local highschool!" Couldnt get a good bridge over the stadium shot since it was night tho :C
Place is stunning tho!

(PHP Park pics)

In the day time, sitting on the North side of the stadium it looks like this (pic not by me)
YOU CAN SEE NEW JERSEY lol:D :lol :D
ppl-park-d5c268f011938a3e.jpg

Despite being in Chester PA, I'm envious of PHP Park. I am a Revolution fan, and they still play in the huge Gillette Stadium for games, and it looks like they're going to be doing that for the significant future. It sucks.

Clydefrog

Pkm said:
Check it out, I posted this in the FIFA 2011 thread to but...

Sabastian Le Toux!!! My son had his last 2 games of his U-9 Columbus Day Tourney, we finished the second game, grabed his medal (Undefeated!) and jumped in the car and drove to a Best Buy in Philly. We walk in and my son and his friend are still wearing there uniforms, covered in mud with medals around there necks. Le Toux was taken back, dude was so cool! He sparked up a convo with the boys about soccer and there tourney this weekend. We had planned to leave after the games to see him so we had stuff in the car we wanted signed, I chose FIFA lol.
I told him how last year I had to traded him from Seattle and all the other Union players to the Revolution and how we are so happy he is in 11 lol.
He had a FIFA setup next to him and he even watched my son play and joked around since my son had a hat trick with Mwanga but only assist with Le Toux lol.

Damn. Awesome!

daoster

Damn, nice view of that stadium!

Here is Ives Galcerp's grading of the game on Saturday:

Tim Howard (7). Made a clutch save on a breakaway and stopped the shots he had any chance on.

Steve Cherundolo (6). Steady once again on the right, providing some service getting forward and strong defending.

Carlos Bocanegra (4.5). Bocanegra struggles against speedy wingers and this was the case yet again. He's still a better left back option than anybody else in the pool, but Bob Bradley knows he needs to start developing new left backs ASAP.

Oguchi Onyewu (5.5). Rusty, but willing to get stuck into challenges and was more dominant in the air than the last time we saw him (his flubbed clearance on Poland's first goal notwithstanding).

Maurice Edu (5). Edu started out slowly, and had his moments of discomfort you expect from someone playing out of position. He's got the skill set to become a long-term option in the back, though you wonder if he'll get a look at his natural position of defensive midfielder.

Jermaine Jones (7). A stellar debut for the German-born midfielder, who's passing and athleticism bring new elements to the U.S. midfield. He did have a bad pass turn into Poland's equalizer, but he still gave U.S. fans plenty to be excited about.

Stuart Holden (7). Dynamic, creative and tenacious, Holden played with the confidence of a Premier League regular. His poor clearance attempt on Poland's first goal was the sole flub, but he made an emphatic case to remain a starter for the long haul.

Michael Bradley (5). Put in plenty of supporting work deep in midfield, but he also had several passes miss the mark. Seemed willing to defer to Jones in a pairing that should do well once they've had a few games together.

Benny Feilhaber (4). No player had less of an impact on the match than Feilhaber, who simply couldn't get involved in the match.

Clint Dempsey (6). One player who seemed to enjoy the new U.S. system, Dempsey worked well with his midfielders to move the ball around and made use of the freedom that came with playing behind Altidore.

Jozy Altidore (6). The misses will stand out, but it can't be ignored that he put himself in position for so many chances. He's improving as a player, but needs to start putting away chances at a greater rate if the U.S. attack is going to be truly dangerous.

SUB

Alejandro Bedoya (4). Didn't get too involved as the U.S. team's lone sub. He wasn't as bad as he was in the Brazil friendly, but didn't make a real impact either.

What do you guys think? Accurate?

Bocanegra and CHerundolo have left the camp and went back to their respective clubs...Shea and Pierce have joined the team.

Good to see all the Union fans in here, I live 5 mins from PPL Park, been to all the home games this season except the Celtic friendly, good times even though the team wasn't able to get it done on the field.

I'll be the River End tomorrow for the US game, can't wait. Big game for the Union this week, we need to close out the season with a W over the New Jersey Pink Cows.

Stuck

daoster said:
What do you guys think? Accurate?

Bocanegra and CHerundolo have left the camp and went back to their respective clubs...Shea and Pierce have joined the team.

Not too surprised to see Holden and Jones topping the grading curve for the US. I'm excited to see some different lineups out there against Columbia and how the new guys respond again.

striKeVillain said:
Girlfriend bought tickets to Colombia vs. US game tomorrow. Awesome!

That is most awesome!

daoster

Wonder what the lineup will be like today...and I wonder if Ian Darke will be an announcer at the game!

for those who don't know, Ian Darke signed on with the US version of ESPN and will be the sports announcer for all the USA games...friendlies, Gold Cup, WCQ, and all! He'll also be contributing on ESPN's once a week EPL game.

I'd like to see how Jones - Edu team up would be.

Oozer3993

daoster said:
Wonder what the lineup will be like today...and I wonder if Ian Darke will be an announcer at the game!

for those who don't know, Ian Darke signed on with the US version of ESPN and will be the sports announcer for all the USA games...friendlies, Gold Cup, WCQ, and all! He'll also be contributing on ESPN's once a week EPL game.

I'd like to see how Jones - Edu team up would be.

That is great. Loved him during the World Cup.

I'm pumped for tonight's game. I've been going through withdrawal since the World Cup. Feels great to see the MNT team play again.

daoster

Kind of a boring game so far, US hasn't had push up as much as I'd like, though its only 13 minutes in (by which, we had already scored against Poland, though)

NH Apache

Banned
daoster said:
Kind of a boring game so far, US hasn't had push up as much as I'd like, though its only 13 minutes in (by which, we had already scored against Poland, though)

Columbia is applying serious pressure tho. And free kick :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom