• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heretic

I'm a big fan of Dempsey but he's done nothing for the Nats these past games. I'm starting to think he's all hype. I feel like he always half-asses the 50/50 challenges and whenever he has that ball, it seems like he doesn't even try. I don't know...

Someone mentioned Justin Braun earlier and his play style is similar to Alitdore. He has tons of upper body strength and does not stop running. I'd like to see him play for the Nats too. Chivas USA had a horrible season but I still went to most of their games. He definitely has potential.

Fake Edit:
Never did get my USA flag =(

daoster

Heretic said:
I'm a big fan of Dempsey but he's done nothing for the Nats these past games. I'm starting to think he's all hype. I feel like he always half-asses the 50/50 challenges and whenever he has that ball, it seems like he doesn't even try. I don't know...

These past few games being....the past 3 friendlies? They're friendlies after an exhausting season (both for his club and national team), I wouldn't put too much stock on his performances for those past three games. Dempsey is one of our best, IF not our best player right now.

I wasn't watching the game, but according to goal.com, Jozy Altidore scored for Villareal in their Cup game!!

Is this the start of many? Hopefully.

daoster said:
These past few games being....the past 3 friendlies? They're friendlies after an exhausting season (both for his club and national team), I wouldn't put too much stock on his performances for those past three games. Dempsey is one of our best, IF not our best player right now.

I wasn't watching the game, but according to goal.com, Jozy Altidore scored for Villareal in their Cup game!!

Is this the start of many? Hopefully.

he IS our best player right now.

Jones is giving him a run for his money though.

Gamecocks625 said:
College football is nailing me right now. I'm still here for MLS playoffs and once college football season is over with...it's back to US Soccer. Gotta get ready for the Gold Cup!

I really hope they bring out the Red kits for the Gold Cup.

That would be fucking awesome.

daoster

HE SHOOTS WITH HIS RIGHT, HE SHOOTS WITH HIS LEFT, HE MAKES DROGBA LOOK LIKE SHITE!! (and sometimes, he gets a header)

Clint Dempsey scored the two goals today against Wigan! CLIIIIIIIIIINT

Oozer3993 said:
You and me both. That goal is ridiculous.

I mean really. Volley out of no where. Ball bounced perfectly for it. He followed through exactly how he needed to.

He's stepped his game up to a whole new level with that shot.

Heretic

Weaselred said:
I was at the Sounders game last night and that goal just shocked everyone in the stands. Still feeling surprisingly confident despite being down a goal heading to LA.

Awesome tifo by the ECS last night too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgN6MhwF_yA

Seattle has the best fans! Sucks they're getting eliminated in the first round. I'll be at the home depot center next game =)

Donavon won't let me down!

daoster

I think Beckham said that that Seattle game was the first MLS game he's played in that felt had a European atmosphere. Pretty exciting stuff, if only it could be transported to all the MLS markets.

Has anybody read the column by Washingtin Post's Jeff Maurer on what Europeans think of the USA team? Interesting stuff (though they're probably also trying to be kind to us)

What the French think: "the difference between the American team and the French team is that the US fights to the very end."

What the Germans think: I asked which they thought would happen first: the U.S. winning the World Cup, or time travel. The vote was unanimous: time travel (ouch).

What the Dutch think: "They have some good players. They're getting better, though they're still a work in progress. They play passionate, they play as a team. In Europe, the players play for themselves, but the U.S. plays as a team."

shoplifter

and I quote my 3 day old son:

"Piss on the F*re!"

alex_scarf.png

daoster

Soccer By Ives is reporting about a possible friendly against ARGENTINA in Seattle on March 26, 2011

Good times. Playing tough teams right out of the box!

Stuck

The 'Quakes needed to win by 2 against the Red Bulls tonight to advance and pulled off the 3-1 victory. They'll face either the Crew or Rapids in the next round. Here's the link.

Not too bad for Bay Area sports at the moment.

methodman

Banned
Stuck said:
The 'Quakes needed to win by 2 against the Red Bulls tonight to advance and pulled off the 3-1 victory. They'll face either the Crew or Rapids in the next round. Here's the link.

Not too bad for Bay Area sports at the moment.

was watching the game, haven't been big on mls this year because of the giants (did go to a game earlier this year), but the Earthquakes looked damn good.

bluemax

Banned
Think I might go to the Sounders Galaxy match on Sunday.

Really conflicted on who to root for since I grew up in Washington but have been in LA for over 5 years now.

Funny enough I mentioned I might go to my dad and he told me I should. Apparently he's one of the many Washingtonians who have been caught up my Sounders fever. I mean my dad has always been into sports, but I never once pegged him as someone who would like Soccer.

Man I wanted NYRB to win so bad last night. It seemed like NY dominated possession and then San Jose would make one good play to get a goal. Ugh.

The missed header by Henry could have been spectacular if he would have put that one in.

xbhaskarx

I'm glad the Quakes won, it's nice to see a bay area team I don't despise doing well.
I'm sure MLS is bummed to lose a big market team in the first round, though.

Gamecocks625 said:
The missed header by Henry could have been spectacular if he would have put that one in.

That was a close call.

Gamecocks625 said:
Man I wanted NYRB to win so bad last night. It seemed like NY dominated possession and then San Jose would make one good play to get a goal. Ugh.

*sigh*

If he put that in, we could've advanced. Shit sucks :(

daoster

Some info on the fight from James Horncastle's twitter:

Gazzetta claims Ibra went in a little too hard on Onyewu who didn't take too kindly to it. They came to blows in front of 30 fans.

Onyewu said to be furious with Ibrahimovic, especially considering his serious injury problems last season

Early reports suggest Onyewu got up and grabbed Ibra by the throat.

Gazzetta: "Teammates quickly tried to separate them, but the two aren't exactly puny + in the end Allegri forced to interrupt training."

Gooch going for the KILLLLLLL

Mindlog

30 fans watched so there has to be at least 20 cell phone videos. Let's do this.

In GoUSABid 2022 related news: The November 'leaderboard' update is still surprising me. Some cities are much stronger/weaker than I would have ever expected. I don't know what happened in Atlanta, but good on them even though these numbers aren't all that meaningful.

xbhaskarx

I don't follow women's soccer but the US team lost 2-1 to Mexico yesterday in WC qualifying, probably the biggest upset ever. They were like 54-1-6 since WC07 and they had outscored opponents 131-3 in all previous qualifying matches.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
xbhaskarx said:
I don't follow women's soccer but the US team lost 2-1 to Mexico yesterday in WC qualifying, probably the biggest upset ever. They were like 54-1-6 since WC07 and they had outscored opponents 131-3 in all previous qualifying matches.

WHAT!!!???
:eek:

First time I hear of the MWNT beating the lady nads whom some are hawt.

xbhaskarx

GrantWahl
Awesome courtroom-style drawings of Onyewu-Ibrahimovic fight:

89652025.png

:lol
Apparently that's from La Gazzetta dello Sport

Also, Columbus - Colorado is getting good, Columbus took the lead and then Casey equalized for Colorado minutes later, it's probably heading to extra time.

xbhaskarx

shoplifter said:
Brian Carroll

Awful... and the dude has seven caps with the MNT.

As someone who is not all that familiar with MLS, Columbus certainly looked like the better team. Oh well, hopefully that just means an easier path for the Quakes.

xbhaskarx

It seems like nearly every MLS playoff goal has been scored by some fringe-y USMNT member: Cunningham, Buddle, Convey, Gaven, Rogers, Casey, McCarty, Findley...

shoplifter said:
and I quote my 3 day old son:

"Piss on the F*re!"

[IM]http://shopliftersunion.org/images/alex_scarf.png[/IMG]

WHY ARE YOU SUCH A YELLOW FUCKING TEAM
A YELLOW FUCKING TEAM, A YELLOW FUCKING TEAM

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Had the good fortune of singing that when I went up to Chicago for the USA v Poland game. Got to catch Fire v Crew the night before.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom