• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
NH Apache said:
Columbia is applying serious pressure tho. And free kick :(
you should've watched the Mexico vs Columbia..Columbia knows how to pressure, block almost any attack, and outmuscle balls away from any players when there's a clear chance to do so. Mexico got lucky on a FK rebound goal shot and won 1-0.

daoster

A really boring game so far, with Guzan only forced to make one save, and the Columbian goal keeper just chillin.

Though Jones has been good, he's been aggressive, winning tackles, making good passes, etc.

The Good: We haven't been scored on.
The Bad: we haven't even threatened to score.

daoster

Gamecocks625 said:
I've been watching on and off due to it being a ....boring game. How is Jones doing?

Probably our best player this game...

Just got a yellow.

EDIT: The assistant coach for Columbia has like the freaking best hair. EVER. It recalls back to a time when soccer players had glorious hair.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
mikeybwright said:
He is only 20, we have another decade of his ability to blow open shots and show up off sides.
but we're getting so much just tonight!

what i like about jones is that he has flair and balls. only other guy on this team like that the past eight years has been dempsey. the rest play like americans even if they are good

daoster

Altidore...really needs to calm down. He seems to always take his anger out on officials, and he's lucky he hasn't straight up gotten a red card for it in the past too (like right after the game in Slovenia, where he just straight up went after the horrible ref).

zoku88

daoster said:
Altidore...really needs to calm down. He seems to always take his anger out on officials, and he's lucky he hasn't straight up gotten a red card for it in the past too (like right after the game in Slovenia, where he just straight up went after the horrible ref).
I really thought he was about to get one just then. The official was motioning him to shut up so much :lol

shoplifter

AstroLad said:
but we're getting so much just tonight!

what i like about jones is that he has flair and balls. only other guy on this team like that the past eight years has been dempsey. the rest play like americans even if they are good
This. Fucking this.

No one else seems willing to take risks.

ATF487

mikeybwright said:
He is only 20, we have another decade of his ability to blow open shots and show up off sides.

He's big, physical, and won't usually win in a footrace. He needs to start playing as a holding striker

Oozer3993

sazabirules said:
We need to call up a striker who can score.

PSY8P.jpg

Edson "Pele II: Electric Boogaloo" Buddle.

Lichaj looked good and I was surprised how well Goodson and Parkhurst played. Aside from a small spell of crap in the beginning of the second half, Jones looked great. No one else looked all that good except for maybe Holden. Bradley was surprisingly bad.

daoster

Lichaj was the more impressive of the new players this time around. The other new players were decent, but I liked what I saw from Lichaj.

Holden was invisible 1st half, but second half was a lot better.

Jones was the best player tonight.

1st half was boring, second game was a lot better, offense-wise, our forwards need to do better.

I think we might have a game in November against Argentina? I might just be imagining things.

If not, than the next time the USMNT play will be in January, and that's when the new, new players are expect to be called up (Gonzales, Ream, Diskerud, etc., etc.,).

Just got back from the game, was a shitty affair, but I was in the Supporters Section with American Outlaws and Sons of Ben so it was worth it. Can't speak about individual performances until I watch the game again but I was happy that our defense was able to thwart all Colombia's chances. Don't know how the support sounded on TV, we did our best in the River End to bring energy, but the Colombian fans were pretty deep especially on the TV side.

daoster

sazabirules said:
We're playing South Africa in November.

Oh right. Hopefully, it'll be a more interesting affair than the Columbia game...

Steve Goff from WaPo has reported that USA has withdrawn its 2018 bid, to focus more on the 2022 bid.

The United States has withdrawn its bid to host the 2018 World Cup and will focus on efforts to stage the 2022 tournament, officials announced today.

I know we weren't likely to have been awarded the 2018, but I was hoping for the upset against England... :lol

GhaleonQ

daoster said:
I know we weren't likely to have been awarded the 2018, but I was hoping for the upset against England... :lol

It'll be fascinating to see how our executives connive to get it, since it's so unlikely. It'll be a good test, even if we lose, of our soccer leadership's abilities on the world stage.

shoplifter

daoster said:

It's actually *better* for us - a euro country was guaranteed to get it in either 2018 or 2022. This basically means that we don't have to compete against Europe at all in 2022, and if the English FA is going to support our bid, we've got a god damned good shot at winning.

I had a great time in Chicago for the USA v Poland game. As many of you know I am a member for the American Outlaws.

Here we are having a blast in Chicago.

33926_132149820170948_100001277910416_187237_3813803_n.jpg

That's me over the 13 star flag. Right above the Stripes. Red shirt. American Flag bandana.

Here is a closer one.

37935_132152276837369_100001277910416_187242_4160153_n.jpg

I'm the one make the first on the right hand side of the picture.

And here is one from Friday night before we went to the Chicago Fire v Columbus Crew game at toyota park.

72424_102551809810599_100001673409091_15993_4899197_n.jpg

Beat the Yellow bastards 2-0. Got to see Brian McBride get a goal 20 feet away from me.

daoster

MAURICE EDU with the LONE GOAL so far in the Champions League game against Valencia....

Then a couple of minutes later, he came close to scoring again, hitting the post!

Will he score again in the next 45 minutes?

GO GO MO EDU!

MidnightRider said:
thread is dead

where are you people at?

College football is nailing me right now. I'm still here for MLS playoffs and once college football season is over with...it's back to US Soccer. Gotta get ready for the Gold Cup!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom