• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

President Bill Clinton to Travel to Zurich for Final Presentation of U.S. Bid for 2022 FIFA World Cup

U.S. Presentation to FIFA Executive Committee Scheduled Wednesday, Dec. 1; FIFA Decision to be Announced on Thursday, Dec. 2, at 10 a.m. ET

NEW YORK (Nov. 8, 2010) – President Bill Clinton, honorary chairman of the USA Bid Committee, will speak on behalf of the United States’ bid to host the 2022 FIFA World Cup™ when the U.S. delegation makes its final presentation to the FIFA Executive Committee on Wednesday, Dec. 1, in Zurich, Switzerland.

“I’m pleased to stand on behalf of our nation for something as important and meaningful to the American people and citizens throughout the world as the FIFA World Cup™,” President Clinton said. “I am committed to this effort because I have seen firsthand the powerful unifying force of the FIFA World Cup™, bringing together people of all ages, backgrounds, and beliefs. The USA Bid Committee shares that commitment, and we look forward to expressing that commitment to the FIFA Executive Committee when we meet next month.”

President Clinton has been very active in his role as honorary chairman, representing the U.S. earlier this year at the 2010 FIFA World Cup™ in South Africa and working closely with the USA Bid Committee’s Board of Directors on a variety of initiatives to promote the bid here in the U.S. and throughout the world.

xbhaskarx

Najar's Father: "The United States has the Advantage"
Najar’s father Wilson Najar minces approximately zero words and indicates that the U.S has a better shot at securing his son’s services should the federation be in fact after them.

“The coaches in the United States are seeing him. They have not called him up yet but they have him in their sights and the truth is that they are more interested in him than those from Honduras, because they come to see him play but those from his own country do not. The Honduran federation has called up him but they do not even bother coming here to see how he plays.”

Although Najar the younger has said that he’s trying to focus on his club career right now, if the statements from his father are to be believed Honduras may be playing themselves out of the game before it even starts. And not to be left on the sidelines, D.C. United’s work with Najar on the academy level may also prove to be a factor in the 17 year-old’s decision.

“The United States has the advantage for him to play with them because they scout him regularly and in addition they [D.C. United] have him studying and they continue to prepare him in soccer. I know that Honduran fans will feel bad if he makes this decision but it is down to what he decides.”

daoster

More USMNT news!

Apparently Mikkel Diskerud has been called up for the US friendly vs. South Africa. Mikkel (or Mix) is eligible for both Norway and USA, but it looks like he's going to play for us now! (For what it's worth, he's played in the Norwegian youth team before, as well as the US youth team).

Bradley seems to be going young for the friendly against South Africa...according to SoccerByIves, it's a good bet that NYRB's Juan Agudelo as well as Gale Agbossoumonde will be called up for the game.

Bradley Ready to go Young?

Good times, the year is not even over (its weird to think about, but the World Cup was just a couple of months ago), and Bradley is already trying out brand new players. We've also been playing a lot of friendlies after the World Cup, where as in the past, we'd not do any friendlies until the year was over.

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
Good news, but no Tim Ream?

Also, your link is broken, this one works:

Full roster announced tomorrow, so we'll find out if Tim Ream will be called. This team will not be an A team, it'll be a B+/B team, so I'll be surprised if he isn't called.

daoster

Altidore scored in today's Copa del Rey game! I mean, it is a lower level team, but anytime Altidore scores hopefully means more appearances in the league games! Goooo Altidore!

Stuart Holden started the play that led to Bolton's goal against Everton (and Tim Howard) today. I must say...I want to see a lot more of Stuart Holden for the national team, and he has a long future ahead of him for us. A couple of weeks ago, for two weeks in a row, Sky Sports named Holden Man of the Match. Quite an honor for him!

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Jozy scored a goal in the Copa del Ray. Hopefully he's been improving on his finishing.

Edit: Beaten.

I don't think I'll be able to watch the upcoming friendly. I have class at 2:30.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
The roster is

GK-Guzan, Cervi; D-Agbossoumonde, Borchers, Bornstein, Goodson, Lichaj, Ream, Spector
M-Bedoya, Carroll, Diskerud, Gaven, Pause, Rogers; F-Agudelo, Bunbury, Findley

Clydefrog

sazabirules said:
The roster is

GK-Guzan, Cervi; D-Agbossoumonde, Borchers, Bornstein, Goodson, Lichaj, Ream, Spector

if those two play one minute........

daoster

US Roster announced, quite young team.

Roster part 1: GK-Guzan, Cervi; D-Agbossoumonde, Borchers, Bornstein, Goodson, Lichaj, Ream, Spector #USMNT

Roster part 2: M-Bedoya, Carroll, Diskerud, Gaven, Pause, Rogers; F-Agudelo, Bunbury, Findley #USMNT

B-/C+ team for me...a lot of these guys will probably be in the running for 2014, but right now, most of them are still untested in international play.

Still, it'll be exciting to see some new faces!!

EDIT: BEATEN!

daoster

sazabirules said:
I will be upset as well. Does anyone know which Carroll? I hope it isn't Brian.

It's Brian!

And I don't think Bornstein was too bad at the WC...in fact, the friendlies going into the WC, I was really afraid, but he was decent.

daoster said:
Altidore scored in today's Copa del Rey game! I mean, it is a lower level team, but anytime Altidore scores hopefully means more appearances in the league games! Goooo Altidore!

Stuart Holden started the play that led to Bolton's goal against Everton (and Tim Howard) today. I must say...I want to see a lot more of Stuart Holden for the national team, and he has a long future ahead of him for us. A couple of weeks ago, for two weeks in a row, Sky Sports named Holden Man of the Match. Quite an honor for him!

Yeah I don't know if he still is but he was holding the most tackles in the EPL as well..... which says a lot considering he is more of an attacking minded player.

Clydefrog said:
if those two play one minute........

I can understand the hate for Findley..... but Bornstein????? really? When are people going to get off his hate bandwagon? He did DAMNED well in this years world cup.

talisayNon said:
oh lord, please. I'm sick of watching choking shitheads like Altidore
Jesus Christ. The guy is only 20 years old (might be 21 now... i think his birthday was in Oct.)

sazabirules said:
The roster is

smh

I know it's MLS playoff time and all, but damn we can't find better midfielders and strikers than that?

xbhaskarx

sazabirules said:
The roster is

I'm glad to see so many new-ish names...
no comment on Findley.

So this means Teal Bunbury chose the US over Canada, cool.

Wait, Carroll... is that Brian Carroll who blew it for the Columbus Crew just days ago? :lol

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
B-/C+ team for me...a lot of these guys will probably be in the running for 2014, but right now, most of them are still untested in international play.

Right, well now is the time to start getting them tested in international play.

MidnightRider said:
I can understand the hate for Findley..... but Bornstein????? really? When are people going to get off his hate bandwagon? He did DAMNED well in this years world cup.

Yeah I'm not sure why those two continue to be lumped together...

shoplifter

xbhaskarx said:
Wait, Carroll... is that Brian Carroll who blew it for the Columbus Crew just days ago? :lol

Yep - he does have 7 previous senior caps (and was on trial with OM a few years ago). I don't anticipate that he'll be taking any penalties.

He's a solid if unspectacular DM, and obviously has prior chemistry with Gaven and Rogers.

Pre

sazabirules said:
Hopefully we cap all of the dual citizenship guys during this game.

Can't cap-tie dual-nationals during friendlies, it has to be during a legit match.

But I would be fine with Bornstein playing. He did pretty well at the cup and I don't think it's time to give up on him just yet. I'm excited to see Mix, and Tim Ream may be part of the answer to fixing our back line issues.

talisayNon said:
oh lord, please. I'm sick of watching choking shitheads like Altidore

Don't look now, but Jozy is coming on strong for Villarreal.

shoplifter

While I get *annoyed* with Jozy, he just turned 21. He has lots of time to mature. It's not really fair to expect the world out of someone who wasn't allowed to drink in the US until last week.

That said, there's also lots of time to get some other forwards capped. I'd say there's a pretty bright future, especially if Mwanga can get his citizenship finalized sooner rather than later.

Clydefrog

Trust me, Bornstein will have a major mistake during the game. Not that it will matter since it is a friendly, but Bornstein is almost always to blame when something goes wrong. He had a good world cup? I don't particularly remember that...

Clydefrog said:
Trust me, Bornstein will have a major mistake during the game. Not that it will matter since it is a friendly, but Bornstein is almost always to blame when something goes wrong. He had a good world cup? I don't particularly remember that...

Well you must have not "watched" a lot of the games. He didn't have any mistakes that lead to goals or even near chances for goals.

The few times he did let someone by him.... he caught back up and took the ball/helped someone else take the ball back.

He's decent. Let him be.

Clark was our downfall at WC2010 handsdown. No one else is at much of a fault than him.

Clydefrog

MidnightRider said:
Well you must have not "watched" a lot of the games. He didn't have any mistakes that lead to goals or even near chances for goals.

The few times he did let someone by him.... he caught back up and took the ball/helped someone else take the ball back.

He's decent. Let him be.

Clark was our downfall at WC2010 handsdown. No one else is at much of a fault than him.

I don't think Bornstein even played half of our games in the World Cup. That being said, I guess he couldn't have had much of an impact, for better or for worse. The problem I have with him is that he has no 'fight.' He's weak, flimsy, awkward... not what you want in a defender. When he does decide to do something with vigor, he screws up, lunges at the opponent and fouls him. When he decides to go forward to help the attack, he isn't good at tracking back. Over these past few years watching him play for the USMNT, he's never made me happy to see him play (yeah, yeah, there's that Costa Rica goal...) He just seems genuinely confused when he's on the pitch. I think the game moves too fast for him a lot of the time.

Bornstein was atrocious at the confed. cup in 2009. So was Clark. But ultimately it was Bradley's coaching decisions that lost our slim chance at lifting that trophy.

xbhaskarx

Moving beyond Bornstein and Findley: Based on their ages and not having any sort of integral role with the USMNT already (eg Goodson who is in the same age group), I think the bigger question is why bother with Nat Borchers, Brian Carroll, and Logan Pause?
What's the point? Warm bodies to fill out the roster? I'd rather take a look at other youngsters if we don't have anyone else...

Players Pos. Ht. Wt. Birthdate Hometown Club/College Caps/Goals

Agbossoumonde, Gale D 6-2 185 11/17/91 Syracuse, N.Y. Estoril Praia (Portugal) 0/0

Agudelo, Juan F 6-0 180 11/23/92 Barnegat, N.J. New York Red Bulls 0/0

Bedoya, Alejandro M 5-10 160 04/29/87 Westin, Fla. Örebro (Sweden) 5/0

Borchers, Nat D 6-2 175 04/13/81 Tucson, Ariz. Real Salt Lake 2/0

Bornstein, Jonathan D 5-9 145 11/07/84 Los Alamitos, Calif. Chivas USA 35/2

Bunbury, Teal F 6-2 175 02/27/90 Prior Lake, Minn. Kansas City Wizards 0/0

Carroll, Brian M 5-10 155 07/20/81 Springfield, Va. Columbus Crew 7/0

Cervi, Dominic GK 6-6 205 07/09/86 Norman, Okla. Celtic (Scotland) 0/0

Diskerud, Mikkel M 6-0 150 10/02/90 Oslo, Norway Stabaek (Norway) 0/0

Findley, Robbie F 5-9 165 08/04/85 Phoenix, Ariz. Real Salt Lake 10/0

Gaven, Eddie M 6-0 165 10/25/86 Hamilton, N.J. Columbus Crew 7/0

Goodson, Clarence D 6-4 170 05/17/82 Alexandria, Va. Brondby (Denmark) 16/2

Guzan, Brad GK 6-4 210 09/09/84 Homer Glen, Ill. Aston Villa (England) 18/0

Lichaj, Eric D 5-11 160 11/17/88 Downers Grove, Ill. Aston Villa (England) 1/0

Pause, Logan M 5-10 155 08/22/81 Hillsborough, N.C. Chicago Fire 5/0

Ream, Tim D 6-1 165 10/05/87 St. Louis, Mo. New York Red Bulls 0/0

Rogers, Robbie M 5-10 180 05/12/87 Huntington Beach, Calif. Columbus Crew 12/1

Spector, Jonathan D 6-0 180 03/01/86 Arlington Heights, Ill. West Ham United (England) 27/0

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
Eh, it doesn't matter, we have the January camp, we'll be getting a lot of looks at new players there.

I understand that, and I don't think it's a big deal either way, but I still don't get why you bother with those three, specifically.

Clydefrog said:
Holy fuck, those birthdays make me feel old.

I try not to think about that :lol

daoster

xbhaskarx said:

You guys probably know already, but Zakuani has accepted a call up for the Congo team (he's not a US Citizen, so he wasn't eligible for us, IIRC)

Also, according to reports, Maurice Edu's injury this past week wasn't too serious! Hooray!

Here's a thought...one of the reasons USA wasn't invited to COPA America this year was because the heads of CONMEBOL threw a hissy fit because we didn't send our A team to the tournament in 2007.

Wonder if CONMEBOL will bitch and moan at Mexico this year for essentially sending an Olympic team (Under 23 + 5 overage), which, while may be a good team, is definitely not their A team. Hell, the Mexican head coach isn't even going to the tournament!

cant wait for wednesday heres the bafana bafana squad hope you guys got an answer pienaar and my wingers or its gonna be a long night

Squad:

Goalkeepers:

Itumeleng Khune (Kaizer Chiefs), Moeneeb Josephs (Orlando Pirates)

Defenders:

Morgan Gould, SuperSport United), Siboniso Gaxa (Lierse, Belgium), Tsepo Masilela (Maccabi Haifa, Israel), Siyabonga Sangweni (Golden Arrows), Anele Ngconca (Racing Genk, Belgium), Bevan Fransman (Hapoel Tel Aviv, Israel), Siyanda Xulu (Mamelodi Sundowns), Keegan Ritchie (Moroka Swallows)

Midfielders:

Teko Modise, Andile Jali (both Pirates), Siphiwe Tshabalala, Reneilwe Letsholonyane (both Chiefs), Steven Pienaar (Everton, England), Thanduyise Khuboni (Arrows), Daylon Claasen (Lierse, Belgium), Matthew Pattison (Sundowns), Kagisho Dikgacoi (Fulham, England)

Strikers:

Sthembiso Ngcobo (Chiefs), Kermit Erasmus (SuperSport United), Davide Somma (Leeds United, England), Bernard Parker (FC Twente, Holland)

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
It was coming...and it's here! HOLDEN'S FIRST GOAL!

Excellent, it's great to see Holden shining.
Bradley scored as well.

Also, glad to hear Edu's injury isn't serious, but Scotland is rough, he should look to move elsewhere.

xbhaskarx

Rayven_king said:
hope you guys got an answer pienaar and my wingers or its gonna be a long night
Thanks for posting that.

I don't think we're really expecting to win, hopefully we can keep the mistakes to a minimum and a few of our youngsters can show what they're capable of.

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
You guys probably know already, but Zakuani has accepted a call up for the Congo team (he's not a US Citizen, so he wasn't eligible for us, IIRC)
http://twitter.com/#!/stevezakuani11

I've accepted an invite from the Congo nat'l team for a game in Paris next week.. tough decision but long wait for US citizenship nailed it!

If citizenship could have been fast-tracked, probably would have gone with US but happy with my decision.. can't wait to represent Africa!

That sucks, but who can blame him for not wanting to wait three years. They should be able to fast-track certain citizenship applications...

Stuck

Earthquakes down 1-0 to Colorado at the half of the MLS Eastern Conference Championships.

San Jose was winless in eight games when trailing at halftime this year. That doesn't bode well.

xbhaskarx

Stuck said:
Earthquakes down 1-0 to Colorado at the half of the MLS Eastern Conference Championships.

Damn I forgot that was tonight. What channel is it on in CA? I don't see it anywhere on TV or ESPN3...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom