• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

NoRéN said:
Woo!

...good thing the rankings started in 93. :D
Nov 2006 - now we're still 13th (and with a slightly lower average ranking than 1993 - now)... but we're ahead of Mexico!

Avg Nation Current Highest Lowest

20.292 USA 24 11 31
20.625 Mexico 28 10 33

This site has some interesting data, including a map of naturalized players for the Qatari national team (link)

xbhaskarx

LA could be getting a new MLS stadium

Sports Arena On its Way Out, But Does LA Need Another MLS Stadium?

2010.11_sportsarena.jpg

In 1959, Wilt Chamberlain played his first professional basketball game there. In 1960, the Democratic National Convention nominated John F. Kennedy for president there. And now it's mostly home to the occasional controversial rave. It's the Welton Becket-designed Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena, and its operators, the LA Coliseum Commission, want to demolish it. The Commission released a draft environmental impact report earlier this month that considers two potential replacement projects--a multi-use outdoor amphitheater and a 22,000 seat MLS stadium.

ATF487

I still think Chivas is better suited to San Diego, but this might help things out a bit if it's a long term plan to keep the team there.

LA might get two MLS stadiums before Boston has 1 :(

NoRéN

ATF487 said:
I still think Chivas is better suited to San Diego, but this might help things out a bit if it's a long term plan to keep the team there.

Never thought about that but you maybe right. What MLS never thought about was that even though they were bringing a Mexican branded team to MLS, they immediately alienated alot of Mexican football fans with the Chivas name. Something like "L.A. Tricolor" or something would have been better. Chivas USA automatically meant that no Club America fan would ever support them.
They only times they really packed the stadiums was when Chocago came to town since Blanco was playing for them. It was a mini America v. Chvas rivalry match. Now he's gone.
Maybe a move would be good for Chivas USA.

edit: Are there alot of people from Guadalajara in San Diego?
...well, Sand Diego can get Chivas USA and some cash and we get the Chargers. :D

xbhaskarx

Pre said:

HIGHLIGHTS: GenAdidas 4-1 Atletico Madrid

This generation of 17-20 year olds is really exciting, between Generation adidas, the U-20s and the upcoming and previous MLS draft classes (I realize this is double counting most of them), there is definitely no shortage of talent. With the added depth we are far less dependent on individual prospects panning out.

And we still haven't seen Fabian Hürzeler, Conor Doyle, Gyau and Renken from Hoffenheim...

xbhaskarx

ATF487 said:

State of the New England Revolution
Biello talked about their offseason plans, the disappointment over World Cup 2022 and the possiblity of building a soccer-specific stadium.

I haven't watch the video , but apparently he says the club will “definitely have a stadium at some point.” He called it a No. 1 priority and indicates that the team is working for a downtown urban location.

daoster

When he goes to Europe and scores consistently in one of the top 4 leagues...then he's the real thing.

Until then? Nope.

xbhaskarx

Slizz said:
Whats his club status now?
He's on the New York Red Bulls, he started with their academy, I doubt they'll sell him anytime soon.
Like avery talented and highly regarded 18 year old in every major sport, he could develop into the real deal or he could fade into obscurity, and the most likely outcome is somewhere in the vast space between savior and bust.

Pre

With Angel leaving New York, I think next season will be Agudelo's for the taking. I'd love to see him and Henry up top together.

ATF487

xbhaskarx said:
State of the New England Revolution

I haven't watch the video , but apparently he says the club will “definitely have a stadium at some point.” He called it a No. 1 priority and indicates that the team is working for a downtown urban location.

Yeah but it's been that way for years, there's been no real progress. I think in 2007 they mentioned Somerville and that's been it since then

xbhaskarx

Blatter

However, Blatter defended FIFA for choosing the riskiest, most expensive bids, which saw the World Cup hosting rights awarded to Eastern Europe and the Middle East for the first time.

"It's my philosophy to drive forward the expansion of football. The next regions that we need to conquer would be China and India," Blatter said. "Football has become a political matter. Heads of state court me. Football has become a monster, but it's a positive monster."

While defending FIFA's system of choosing World Cup hosts, Blatter said the organization he has led for 12 years would now "look inward" before making changes.

"We can't go on like this. We need to improve our image," he said. "We also need to set some things straight inside FIFA."

daoster

xbhaskarx said:

But FIFA is above politics. Governments shouldn't be getting involved on entities that don't even have to follow the rule of law in their own countries (the soccer federations). FIFA is the purest form of the sport!

FIFA also cures cancer, solves world hunger, and rids it of poverty.

FIFA, the untouchable!

xbhaskarx

platypotamus said:
So basically the soonest the US could get the cup is 2034?

Asia can't get the 2026 or 2030 World Cups under the current rules, but FIFA could very well change the rules to give 2026 to China. 2030 will almost certainly be South America again.

If they don't change the rules 2026 going to North America is a good bet.

Clydefrog said:
Unless FIFA changes some rules between now and whenever, I thought 2026 was a good bet?

Hopefully Blatter is no longer in charge by the time of the next vote, and hopefully the next president of FIFA doesn't have the same philosophy.

platypotamus said:
So basically the soonest the US could get the cup is 2034?

I guess on the bright side, I might be able to take my grandkids by then...

Where did you get that from.....?

2026 seems like a highly possibly option.

No Asia
No South America
No Antarctica
Very low chance for oceania
Very low chance for europe

Leaves NA and Africa

xbhaskarx

Qatar neighbors could host 2022 WCup games

Qatar’s neighboring countries could host games at the 2022 World Cup, according to FIFA president Sepp Blatter.

In an interview with sports daily L’Equipe on Thursday, Blatter said Australia’s 2022 World Cup bid proposed some matches could be held in New Zealand, and Qatar could have neighboring countries host games. He didn’t say which countries.

“Australia, in its candidacy bid, proposed to give several matches to New Zealand,” Blatter told L’Equipe. “I think it could be the same in Qatar and that some matches could take place in nearby countries.”

ngower

ATF487 said:
Yeah but it's been that way for years, there's been no real progress. I think in 2007 they mentioned Somerville and that's been it since then

What he said. I don't trust a word that comes from Tornberg, Biello, Kraft, etc anymore. There was a deadline of 12-24 months, doubt that'll hold true.

xbhaskarx

Roster for the December U-20 camp in Florida:

GOALKEEPERS: Zac MacMath (Maryland), Kevin Piedrahita (America de Cali)

DEFENDERS: Gale Agbossoumonde (Estoril Praia), Greg Garza (Estoril Praia), Sebastien Ibeagha (Duke), Perry Kitchen (Akron), Eric Schoenle (West Virginia), Ben Sweat (South Florida), Zarek Valentin (Akron), Kory Veeder (Unattached)

MIDFIELDERS: Steven Evans (Portland), Joshua Gatt (SC Rheindorf Altach), Joe Gyau (TSG 1899 Hoffenheim), Alex Molano (Dinamo Zagreb), Amobi Okugo (Philadelphia Union), Dillon Powers (Notre Dame), Kelyn Rowe (UCLA), Conor Shanosky (D.C. United)

FORWARDS: Conor Doyle (Derby County), Dylan Mares (Louisville), Jack McInerney (Philadelphia Union), Adrian Ruelas (Celtic), Soony Saad (Michigan), Omar Salgado (Unattached)

xbhaskarx said:
Roster for the December U-20 camp in Florida:

GOALKEEPERS: Zac MacMath (Maryland), Kevin Piedrahita (America de Cali)

DEFENDERS: Gale Agbossoumonde (Estoril Praia), Greg Garza (Estoril Praia), Sebastien Ibeagha (Duke), Perry Kitchen (Akron), Eric Schoenle (West Virginia), Ben Sweat (South Florida), Zarek Valentin (Akron), Kory Veeder (Unattached)

MIDFIELDERS: Steven Evans (Portland), Joshua Gatt (SC Rheindorf Altach), Joe Gyau (TSG 1899 Hoffenheim), Alex Molano (Dinamo Zagreb), Amobi Okugo (Philadelphia Union), Dillon Powers (Notre Dame), Kelyn Rowe (UCLA), Conor Shanosky (D.C. United)

FORWARDS: Conor Doyle (Derby County), Dylan Mares (Louisville), Jack McInerney (Philadelphia Union), Adrian Ruelas (Celtic), Soony Saad (Michigan), Omar Salgado (Unattached)

congrats to my boys Union Jack and Okugo for getting another callup

xbhaskarx

I say Bill Hamid should be our new #3 goalkeeper because for a 20 year old athlete he actually appears to have somewhat decent taste in music.

@BillHamid28 said:
First question of the day... What's your favorite band??? Mine is the clash... What's yours?
Twitter for iPhone • 12/10/10 5:35 AM
retweeted by @MLS_Insider

In other USMNT news, our guys are already out of the Club World Cup:
Pachuca flies to UAE and gets beaten 1-0 by team most of us have never heard of (Mazembe.) Out of tourney day 1. Torres starts, Gomez subs.

xbhaskarx

KC's Bunbury training with Stoke City
TealBunB said:
Just finished my first training session with Stoke City. Gonna be a great 10 days here. Praise God!! Much Love

College Cup semifinals tonight:
Louisvile vs North Carolina 8:30pm EST, ESPNU
Akron vs Michigan 11pm EST, ESPNU/2

Ives seems to think just about half of those selected in the upcoming MLS draft will be from Akron. They also produced Zakuani and Bunbury. What are they doing over there and why isn't everyone else doing it?

xbhaskarx

The Ronaldinho Experiment

In their zealous efforts to build an international football brand, the Los Angeles Galaxy would be jumping the shark if they risk signing Ronaldinho at this stage in his career. They are only a few pieces of the puzzle away from being hands-down favorites to win (again) the Supporter’s Shield next season. Bringing in a big money star with a lackadaisical approach to the game and insatiable appetite for the night-life could end up disrupting the brand that the entire organization has worked so hard to repair since coach Bruce Arena’s arrival.

When the excitement wears off, as it always does, and the Barcelona and Milan shirts begin disappearing from the Home Depot Center, all that will matter to the true fans is the performance of the team on the field. If this does not live up to LA fan’s high standards, the brand will be degraded, and MLS will continue to be viewed as a retirement community for ex-European stars looking only to mingle with Hollywood’s beautiful people.

Heretic

NoRéN said:
Does Ronaldihno even care about the game anymore? They should bring over someone who still has a desire to play and can add something to the team. I wouldn't mind Nedved or shevchenko. Or, go for Schelotto.

anyone that still has the desire to play will want to play overseas...

NoRéN

Clydefrog said:
Roberto Carlos would be awesome. But he just joined Corinthians with his buddy Ronaldo :( fat chance he comes to USA
Man, seeing the Banana shot in person would be a dream come true.

daoster

Word is, Argentina friendly still happening but probably not in Seattle. Miami, maybe, as I seem to remember a decent size Argentinian population there?

xbhaskarx

I just turned on the Louisville - UNC game with 3 minutes left and Louisville scored with 50 seconds remaining, they're up 2-1. Pretty exciting for my first 3 minutes of college soccer ever...
It's over. Hah, the clock counts down!

xbhaskarx

That's because people actually attend games in large numbers in the Pacific northwest.

But seriously, LA Galaxy, DC, Toronto and Vancouver are on the same level in terms of the sponsorship money, in fact the Galaxy are first. NYRB would be up there too but the sponsors own the team.

In terms of brand recognition, Volkswagen, Red Bull, and Best Buy are on the same level (I can't comment on Bank of Montreal and Bell Canada).

Yeah, I don't think I've ever been to a Sounders game that wasn't 30,000k plus attendance. I know a bunch of us are planning on hitting up Vancouver/Portland for the Sounders' road stops there too.

NoRéN

platypotamus said:
Yeah, I don't think I've ever been to a Sounders game that wasn't 30,000k plus attendance. I know a bunch of us are planning on hitting up Vancouver/Portland for the Sounders' road stops there too.
Yeah, and I think I've been to 1 Galaxy game that got close or slightly went over 30k at the HDC. :lol

rar

Clydefrog said:
Roberto Carlos would be awesome. But he just joined Corinthians with his buddy Ronaldo :( fat chance he comes to USA

i like the way you incorporated "fat" and "ronaldo" into the same post

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
Not much to say about Americans in Europe so far...

Cherundolo left with an injury, Dempsey took a few decent shots but Fulham only managed a scoreless draw once again, Spector didn't play well for the first time since his position switch... the big news is Eric Lichaj made his EPL debut in Aston Villa's much needed victory.

Friggin finally for Eric! Didn't get to watch the game, but him getting a 7 from Sky for his first Premiere League debut is nothing but good news.

xbhaskarx

I'm going to miss it because I'm going to a football game but people should check out the College Cup final between Akron and Louisville tomorrow afternoon.

Akron actually plays a relatively attractive game and they could have 6-8 players selected in the upcoming MLS draft. Caleb Porter signed a 5 year contract that expires in 2014, if he keeps this up could he be the next USMNT manager after Bradley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom