• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
I watched that game in Madrid, surrounded by Americans and some Spaniards. Really fun, interesting experience. (I'm Canadian)

xbhaskarx said:
USSoccer commercial:

The Moment - U.S. Men vs. Spain - June 4th, 2011

Not sure why they used the game against Algeria instead of Spain 09...
Probably because ultimately it was just the Confederations Cup, however tough an opponent Spain was. Important World Cup victories rank much higher, though I understand your point that the match tomorrow is against Spain, not Algeria.

xbhaskarx

Donovan's eventual replacement?

Gatt Rising at Molde
http://goo.gl/fb/320Ya

Last month during the US U-20 trip to France, American fans were treated to something of a blast from the past. American winger Josh Gattowned the left wing, constantly running at defenders, making French Ligue 1 prospects look like traffic cones. I rubbed my eyes to be sure it wasn't Landon Donovan circa 2002. The strange thing, though, is that kind of behavior from his spectators is nothing new to Gatt, the 19 year old Molde FK winger, whose meteoric rise from internet message board blurb to full national team contender is almost unbelievable. In a paltry 482 days, Gatt has gone from another college soccer prospect to potential contributor to the US national team.
His stellar play earned him a call up to the US U-20 national team for a pair of friendlies against Canada in December. With many eyes fixed on him due to his status as a unknown to U-20 national team fans, Gatt dazzled, recording two goals and three assists in a 5-0 rout of Canada.

US v Canada video (Gatt is in the blue shoes):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVtOYcA8UrA

Full National Team Prognosis:

Position: Gatt can play on either wing, and given his time at left back for the U-20 team against France, it's safe to assume he would play on either side of the midfield in Bob Bradley's 4-4-2

Strengths: Explosiveness and dribbling. Reminds one of a young Landon Donovan.

Weaknesses: Aerial ability. At just 5'9, Gatt won't win many balls in the air at the full international level.

USMNT Potential: Could become a key member of the squad. His deadly combination of speed, dribbling and creativity are a rarity on any US team, and should he fulfill his potential, he would become an invaluable asset.

Estimated time until his first senior cap: 6-14 months

daoster

The 18 Players today:

#USMNT_lockerroom Here are the 18 players on the gameday roster: 1-Howard, 2-Spector, 4-Bradley, 5-Onyewu, 6-Cherundolo, 7-Edu

#USMNT_lockerroom 8-Dempsey, 9-Agudelo, 11-Wondolowski, 13-Jones, 14-Lichaj, 15-Ream, 16-Kljestan, 17-Altidore, 19-Rogers, 21-Goodson

#USMNT_lockerroom 22-Bedoya, 23-Hahnemann

Donovan out cause of illness, wonder where our Captain, Boca is.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe Boca has a very minor injury and is just waiting for Tuesday's match. I can't wait for the match. It doesn't seem like Spain wants to play at all.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sid_lowe/06/03/spain.us.friendly/index.html

And while I don't like Bornstein, people give him way too much shit and think he was terrible during the World Cup when he wasn't that bad. Hatred for his pre-WC performances clouds their judgment of his performance.

xbhaskarx

Bocanegra probably can't play both today and Tuesday anyways, he's getting pretty old.

I wonder who gets the captains armband with both Donovan and Boca missing, my guess would be Cherundolo or maybe Howard.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Lineup:

#USMNT_lockerroom 15-Ream, 16-Kljestan, 17-Altidore, 19-Rogers
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

#USMNT_lockerroom The USA's starting XI against Spain:1-Howard (c), 2-Spector, 5-Onyewu, 7-Edu, 9-Agudelo, 13-Jones, 14-Lichaj

daoster

sazabirules said:
He'll sub in. We have 6 substitutions.

Oh no, I have no doubt he'll sub in, I'm just surprised cause this is the first game in a long time that Michael has started in in a long time (which makes sense, cause he hasn't played much for AV)

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Crisis said:
No Donovan worries me more than usual against Spain.

Me too but I don't really care about this game since it doesn't matter and we have more serious games soon. I just hope we don't get embarrassed like in the Brazil game.

xbhaskarx

Spain lineup: Reina; Sergio Ramos, Piqué, Albiol, Arbeloa; Cazorla, Xabi Alonso, Busquets, Silva; Villa, Negredo.

USMNT lineup: Howard (capt); Spector, Onyewu, Ream, Lichaj; Kljestan, Edu, Jones, Rogers; Altidore, Agudelo.

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
(which makes sense, cause he hasn't played much for AV)

What does how much he's playing for AV have to do with anything? Why do people always focus on Bradley starting when he's not playing much (which has only been the case in the last few months), as if he's the only one where that's ever the case (Altidore? Onyewu? Spector? hell how often does Agudelo start for NYRB?)....
Good thing Robbie Rogers is playing, unimpressively, for the freaking Columbus Crew so he can start this game!
Obviously Bradley isn't starting because we have an important game in three days... I mean not even Dempsey, Cherundolo, and Bocanegra are starting...

DominoKid

Goddamn our national anthem rocks.

This weak lineup we have doesn't. Canada sucks, I think we can afford to run our starters today

xbhaskarx

ESPN says over 60k at Gillette/Foxborough... crowd looked great during the national anthems.

I was texting with a friend in MA a few hours ago and he told me he was going to RI for the weekend and traffic was terrible... I had to explain there's a big soccer game going on.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
that wrongly disallowed goal looked so easy for spain that the ref thought something was wrong and decided to call an inexistent offside.

edit: holy fuck lulzzzz

ZZMitch

My friend is at this game, I am so jealous.

I wish more starters were playing though, but I guess it is good to let the other players play in a game that "doesn't matter" against such a good team.

xbhaskarx

Not a bad sequence there for the #usmnt - Rogers 1st touch lets him down as he'd lost the ball before being fouled.

Edu a step slow early on.

And Jermaine Jones is getting sliced apart. Does not look like a guy with a decade of experience at a high lvl in Europe.

If this continues it's gonna be 3-0 Spain, at the least.

Should be 1-0 to Spain after Lichaj kept Villa on. That was a nervous, young player's mistake.

Edu, Jones struggling

The ball over the top will be there all day if U.S. continues to push the line so high. Negredo unlucky to hit the bar.

Speed of the game at this level always has been a problem for Sacha.

time to stop paying attention to Twitter, too depressing

Pre

The lack of possession isn't that troubling to me. I just want us to show well when we get our limited offensive opportunities.

Back line needs to step it up a bit. Spain is slicing them up pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom