• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

hom3land

What kills me is these are the games that will draw in fans and get more people excited about soccer. To bad the gold cup isn't being shown on espn, we'll look much better against Canada and Panama.

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:
^ this is pretty much how I saw that disastrous fifteen minutes...

Actually, go back and look at the last time you were bashing Ream in this thread, I'm pretty sure I agreed that Ream was being overrated. I have never provided hype for Ream. I might have overhyped Agbossoumonde though...
My belief that Omar Gonzalez doesn't have what it takes at the international level has absolutely nothing to do with any Ream vs Gonzalez or NY vs LA nonsense.
Ok. Now where did I mention any "LA v NY" bullshit? Must have been that peek I took at the hypnotism thread because I don't remember posting that.

xbhaskarx said:
1. It's Spain, champions of Europe and the world, even their C team would have been very good.
2. No Donovan, Dempsey, Bradley, Cherundolo, Bocanegra...

He certainly looks like the only field player out there who is actually trying...
I know the first. Just heard about the second. Makes more sense now. Poor Howard.

I have been out of touch for 6 months. However I am starting to follow it again now that the euro cup is coming up along with the CONCAF tourney?

Also what the hell do I follow on my espn scorecenter app to track when the national te plays?

NoRéN

Pre said:
If anything this game just shows how badly we need some depth.
So true. I remember people claiming that US would be alright without Donovan, Dempsey, etc as they are replaceable. Here we are today. Glad to see all those subs.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
#USMNT_lockerroom: Subs for USA - Bradley for Jones, Cherundolo for Edu, Dempsey for Rogers, Wondolowski for Altidore, Goodson for Onyewu

xbhaskarx

TheVisualizer said:
sad display, Agudelo and Lichaj are the only ones showing any life and skill. I'm starting to not like this Jermaine Jones guy even more every game I see him, is it too late to return his ass to Germany? And don't get me started on Tim Ream, somebody wake him up out there, he reacts late to everything, I already don't like him because of my club allegiance, but he doesn't have to fuck up my national team too

Frankly Jermaine Jones has looked good exactly ONCE in a USMNT jersey (I think against Poland?). Every other time I've seen him I have been very unimpressed. And I think Edu is overrated by US fans, SPL is shit, some think it's equivalent to the top leagues just because Rangers play in Europe. And Rangers fans were not too pleased with him this year.

Agree on Agudelo and Lichaj being the only ones with any life.

xbhaskarx

NoRéN said:
Ok. Now where did I mention any "LA v NY" bullshit?

"My belief that Omar Gonzalez doesn't have what it takes at the international level has absolutely nothing to do with any Ream vs Gonzalez or NY vs LA nonsense."

Where in that sentence did I say you mentioned any LA v NY bullshit? Reading comprehension dude, look into it.

Pre

Edu is a very limited player and I've never understood those who think that he's better than Bradley. And I agree about Jones. We need a better midfield pairing for Mikey.

xbhaskarx

The_Inquisitor said:
Also what the hell do I follow on my espn scorecenter app to track when the national te plays?

Add a Team
Soccer

World Cup
United States

International Friendly
United States

Gold Cup
United States

xbhaskarx said:
Frankly Jermaine Jones has looked good exactly ONCE in a USMNT jersey (I think against Poland?). Every other time I've seen him I have been very unimpressed. And I think Edu is overrated by US fans, SPL is shit, some think it's equivalent to the top leagues just because Rangers play in Europe. And Rangers fans were not too pleased with him this year.

Agree on Agudelo and Lichaj being the only ones with any life.

I think Edu is a good player, you are right, he's prob overrated but him being juggled around in different positions on the national team hasn't helped. He has some strengths that Bob needs to figure out how to use. Once Jermaine was introduced to the mix in the midfield it kind of threw everyone out of whack, even Michael Bradley.

This game today means nothing so I'm not worried, but like someone said, it just speaks to our lack of quality depth.

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:
"My belief that Omar Gonzalez doesn't have what it takes at the international level has absolutely nothing to do with any Ream vs Gonzalez or NY vs LA nonsense."

Where in that sentence did I say you mentioned any LA v NY bullshit? Reading comprehension dude, look into it.
You brought up something up that was completely irrelevant. But, how dare anyone not agree with you.
The constant bans make more and more sense now.

xbhaskarx

NoRéN said:
You brought up something up that was completely irrelevant. But, how dare anyone not agree with you.
The constant bans make more and more sense now.

Yeah it's completely irrelevant when LA fans hype Gonzalez and NY fans hype Ream.
Keep telling yourself it's just a coincidence.
Let's look at you: LA fan, bashing Ream, hyping Gonzalez. Yup, clearly a coincidence.
I say they're both overrated, but I shouldn't mention LA v NY when doing so or you'll start whining about it... why exactly?

Meanwhile you incorrectly state that I hyped Ream. Provide some fucking proof either from this thread or from the MLS thread of me hyping Ream. If not please stop posting false information.

And if you have a problem with me please feel free to put me on your ignore list. I didn't respond to you, YOU responded to me. I don't remember any time you have posted anything worth responding to....

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:
Yeah it's completely irrelevant when LA fans hype Gonzalez and NY fans hype Ream.
Keep telling yourself it's just a coincidence.
Let's look at you: LA fan, bashing Ream, hyping Gonzalez. Yup, clearly a coincidence.
I say they're both overrated, but I shouldn't mention LA v NY when doing so or you'll start whining about it... why exactly?

Meanwhile you incorrectly state that I hyped Ream. Provide some fucking proof either from this thread or from the MLS thread of me hyping Ream. If not please stop posting false information.
Why even assume it had anything to do with that? Hype? What hype? Gonzalez is another defender at the USMNTs disposal. if this is why the current line is bringing, why not try out someone else like Gonzalez? Ream plays for NY? Congratulations. Very happy for him. There's a LA v NY rivalry? I could not care any less. But you are one of those stubborn, have to win every time, arguers. So, you win. I have to go beat up a rival fan anyway.

Nesotenso

The drop off in talent after our preferred starting 11 is alarming. Who is going to replace Bradley, Dempsey and Donovan when they are gone ?

Pre

Nesotenso said:
The drop off in talent after our preferred starting 11 is alarming. Who is going to replace Bradley, Dempsey and Donovan when they are gone ?

Bradley is 23 so we won't have to worry about him for a while.

xbhaskarx

sjquakes
Pessimistic. Ream: Overrated, not ready. Onyewu: Fear he won't fully regain pre-injury form RT @adamserrano: Thoughts on Ream/Onyewu?

I'm not quite sure why Onyewu gets called in so often when he has sucked since his injury.
I'm also not sure what it says about the Eredivisie that Twente finished second with Gooch regularly playing LB...

xbhaskarx

Nesotenso said:

I actually have high hopes for our next wave of players, guys who are currently 17-22 or so.
And most of the current squad should be around for the whole cycle anyways, aside from Bocanegra, Cherundolo, Hahnemann.

xbhaskarx

Thank god that's finally over.

Agudelo, Lichaj and the subs all looked okay, especially Bradley and Goodson. Unfortunately there's really nothing else worth mentioning beyond that.

The good news: 64,121 at Gillette Stadium -- largest soccer crowd in New England history

xbhaskarx

Gamecocks625 said:
All this will be forgotten when we beat Mexico, lift the Gold Cup and punch our ticket back to the Confed Cup in 2013
Not everyone is so optimistic:
MLS_Analyst Matthew Doyle
Be aware, US fans: If Bradley stays with the flat-4 midfield, we'll see today played out again against Mexico. If the US even gets that far.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I've never liked Bradley's coaching, especially not during the World Cup, where the team played well in spite of him.

His offense sucks and his adjustments are either terrible, or he makes them too late.

I just don't know who should replace him.

daoster

damn @ the animosity in some of these posts! Chill guys.

This was a super disappointing game, USA just look flat.

It looked much better in the second half when our subs was in, and then we conceded the 4th.

Our defense is a mess, but that's nothing new...our strikers are ineffective, and it doesn't help our service to the top isn't that good either.

Still, none of this is nothing new, and the first half, we were missing our best players, so no big deal.

Like I said, we got all the way to the final of the Gold Cup with a B- team in 2009, but Mexico will be a difficult game.

Oozer3993

K.Jack said:
I've never liked Bradley's coaching, especially not during the World Cup, where the team played well in spite of him.

His offense sucks and his adjustments are either terrible, or he makes them too late.

I just don't know who should replace him.

Mourinho! It's so crazy, it has to work!

xbhaskarx

NINE digits, you realize that's hundreds of millions of dollars, right? D-League??

Anyways, moving on...

Sky Sports: Bedoya set for summer switch
Birmingham and Rangers among American's suitors

USA international Alejandro Bedoya is expected to make a summer switch with a host of clubs watching the Orebro midfielder.

Birmingham and Rangers are among those who have been keeping tabs on the 24-year-old, who left America for his Swedish club in 2009.

And such has been the interest in Bedoya, who is of Colombian descent, that Orebro's sporting director Magnus Skoldmark believes it is unlikely he will see out the remainder of the Swedish season.

"Several clubs have been here to look at Bedoya during the spring and I would be surprised if something concrete doesn't materialise for him," Skoldmark told Nerikes Allehanda.

Improvement

"Alejandro has been really good during the spring and he's improved things that earlier were his weaknesses, such as scoring."

Bedoya has scored four goals from Orebro's opening 10 games having scored six from 56 games over the last two seasons.

He had a trial with Birmingham earlier this year and although Rangers have also shown interest, it is mainly Dutch and Belgian clubs that are targeting the New Jersey-born forward, who has seven caps for the USA.

"Some German clubs have been here too so I can't deny that there is interest in Bedoya," Skoldmark added.

xbhaskarx

Going back to 1990 (since the USMNT became relevant again in soccer), the USMNT have now lost by 4+ goals on only four different occasions.

June 10, 1990 – Lost 5-1 to Czechoslovakia (1990 World Cup)

July 25, 1993 – Lost 4-0 to Mexico (1993 Gold Cup Final)

July 26, 2009 – Lost 5-0 to Mexico (2009 Gold Cup Final)

June 4, 2011 – Lost 4-0 to Spain

Hey at least this time it was a meaningless friendly against the best team in the world, with many starters on the bench and the Gold Cup three days away...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom