• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

sazabirules said:
Bradley on Bunbury: " See his potential, didn't think it was right time for him. Not as sharp as we'd like this season."

Right, he may have more potential but it was between him and Wondo and Bunbury loses out purely based on goal scoring rate. Wondo is hotter right now, same reason Gomez and Buddle made the WC roster.

sazabirules said:
I'd say Brad Davis, Jack Jewsbury, and Brad Evans have all been better.

I can't name anyone off the top of my head without checking rosters but I have a feeling such a list would have to be far more than three deep.

Edit: Not sure this is the best indicator but Rogers is 60th in the Castrol Index.

Pre

Chandler's club didn't want him playing in the Cup because he's tired from his first season of first-team action and they want him to rest between now and the preseason. Perfectly understandable.

Some thoughts on the roster:

- Adu is a good selection because he gives Bob a lot of flexibility with the formation. He can be deployed as a withdrawn striker or a CAM. He'd be a good selection for what presumably was the Holden role in Bob's experimental 4-2-3-1.

- Rogers has value as a winger and gives some depth behind Donovan and Dempsey, especially if one of them moves up as a striker later into matches. He has good speed and skill but lacks confidence in the box.

- Wondo has been consistently good for a year and a half now and it's good to see him get a real shot. I'd like to see him alongside Jozy in a 4-4-2 and let Agudelo be a spark off the bench.

- I'm not sure what value Kljestan has on this roster. I would have preferred to bring Bedoya or Diskerud, but it's not a big deal.

- I've seen a lot of people criticize the Bornstein selection, but seeing as how our leftback depth is so pathetic it's either him or Heath Pearce for the backup spot. I'll take JB.

daoster

and Bornstein wasn't bad in the World Cup...

in all honesty, this team should take us to the finals. WE took a B team in 2009 and got to the finals, this team is more than enough to take us to the finals.

Will we be able to win the whole thing, is the big question. Especially against a high flying Chicharito.

We might not win the Spain game, but how composed we are with that game should say a lot about what's to come.

smh at the BigSoccer folks hoping we flame out so that Bob would get fired though.

Daigoro

looks like im going to be watching this Gold Cup on Univision. looking forward to it.

Adu huh? interesting. its been a while. i hope he does well.

ngower said:
I'm considering going, just don't want to dish out the money (that I don't have) in the instance the US aren't there.

I'm psyched for US v Spain, though.

are you psyched for the 4 hour wait to get out of the stadium parking lot afterwards?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Pre said:
- I've seen a lot of people criticize the Bornstein selection, but seeing as how our leftback depth is so pathetic it's either him or Heath Pearce for the backup spot. I'll take JB.

I'm just afraid he is rusty. When he did play this year with Tigres he played as a left midfielder and wasn't very good. I want to see Lichaj as the backup LB. He played as a LB during his loan at Leeds.

Pre said:
Chandler's club didn't want him playing in the Cup because he's tired from his first season of first-team action and they want him to rest between now and the preseason. Perfectly understandable.

Are you aware that he doesn't play every game? Hell he didn't even play like the last 5 matches of their season.

EDIT** Just looked it up. 11 starts out of 34 matches... hasn't played since May 14th but this dude who is 21 years old needs rest?

I think he might be switching to Germany :(

sazabirules said:
Didn't he sit out due to minor injuries?

A cut on his foot. nothing bad.

that's like me getting a paper cut and not working because i didn't want to get more papercuts

Or so I've read that it was a cut and not a bad one either.

Pre

If Lichaj can play LB then I want him there. I'm a big fan and with the emergence of Chandler it would give us a lot of flexibility on the back line. Boca doesn't have a lot left in the tank and we need to find a good option there.

daegan

daoster said:
and Bornstein wasn't bad in the World Cup...

in all honesty, this team should take us to the finals. WE took a B team in 2009 and got to the finals, this team is more than enough to take us to the finals.

Will we be able to win the whole thing, is the big question. Especially against a high flying Chicharito.

We might not win the Spain game, but how composed we are with that game should say a lot about what's to come.

smh at the BigSoccer folks hoping we flame out so that Bob would get fired though.

That is so irritating. I can't see them not getting another US coach and I can't see a coach getting more out of our boys than Bradley does now.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Jonathan Spector was offered a new contract by West Ham to stay with them in the Championship. It'll be interesting to see if he stays or goes to the transfer market. He has shown he can play as a midfielder. His performance against Manchester United in the League Cup was nice.

daegan said:
That is so irritating. I can't see them not getting another US coach and I can't see a coach getting more out of our boys than Bradley does now.

Yeah, let's flame out of this tournament and miss out on the 2013 Confed Cup just so Brad can get the boot. Some of those BigSoccer dudes are wack.

sazabirules said:
Jonathan Spector was offered a new contract by West Ham to stay with them in the Championship. It'll be interesting to see if he stays or goes to the transfer market. He has shown he can play as a midfielder. His performance against Manchester United in the League Cup was nice.

I'm so sad :(

I hope he stays with us though.

Speaking of not USMNT-related stuff, I feel I need to post, just for jamessinclair, that I went to watch the Mexican national team play against Ecuador this weekend. The first 20 minutes, it was like Mexico was teaching 5 year olds how to play soccer, but then Ecuador got their shit together. 1-1 tie, though I'm sure Mexico would have dominated had more of their big stars been there.

daoster

Continuing on the not USMNT related news...

With all the shit hitting the fan at FIFA, allegations of Qatar "buying" the WC2022 has come into light via statements made by Secretary General Valcke. Wonder if it means outright bribery, or teetering the line between ethical and unethical like the Wall Street Journal reported a couple of months ago.

Of course, it's just been revealed that there will be no investigation into the WC2022 bid, so we'll never really know.

But all in all, this whole FIFA fiasco seems to have benefited no one...but Blatter.

Corrupt bastards, all of them.

Thing that sucks about it is that I was really hoping for the US bid to win it. We had everything in our favor. Ugh...I just want to see a World Cup match in my lifetime.

I seriously doubt this would ever happen, but is there any chance of a revote? I'm sure there are certain individuals that would never let that see the light of day...but I'm just curious if there is actually a process for that to occur.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Gamecocks625 said:
Thing that sucks about it is that I was really hoping for the US bid to win it. We had everything in our favor. Ugh...I just want to see a World Cup match in my lifetime.

I seriously doubt this would ever happen, but is there any chance of a revote? I'm sure there are certain individuals that would never let that see the light of day...but I'm just curious if there is actually a process for that to occur.

There will be no revote while Blatter is at the helm.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
platypotamus said:
Speaking of not USMNT-related stuff, I feel I need to post, just for jamessinclair, that I went to watch the Mexican national team play against Ecuador this weekend. The first 20 minutes, it was like Mexico was teaching 5 year olds how to play soccer, but then Ecuador got their shit together. 1-1 tie, though I'm sure Mexico would have dominated had more of their big stars been there.

Mexican here, do you mean Chicharito? lol

The Mexican team right now is Chicharito plus ten. We are facing some really tough times regarding player selection. Most of our European players are facing problems regarding continuity -Carlos Vela is a perennial bench warmer, Andrés Guardado's team suffered multiple injuries these last two seasons and his team has been relegated so he's on the lookout for a transfer (probably to Russia or Portugal), Carlos Salcido is looking to go back to Mexico, and so on. Only Héctor Moreno and Javier Hernández seem to have some stability.

I will say that if Chicharito had been at the match against Ecuador we would have won. Our problem there was that we couldn't capitalise on our goalscoring opportunities. Which, admittedly, has been our problem since forever. I will rue the day Chicharito gets a cold. :(

Slizz

Gamecocks625 said:

Brazil is pretty damn close man! I hope to go to Brazil for the WC... Women, Football, Women, Football, Party....

Slizz said:
Brazil is pretty damn close man! I hope to go to Brazil for the WC... Women, Football, Women, Football, Party....

It's certainly closer than Russia or Qatar, but there is still much more of a cost investment in terms of travel expenses as opposed to getting into a car and driving over to Atlanta or Charlotte or whatever.

That said, if there is an opportunity to go with my wife to Brazil, I'm all over it.

daoster

Seems michael bradley has been bought by aston villa...people predicting mark hughes to aston villa....dempsey to follow?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It isn't true yet. No official confirmation. Ives says this

"A very good source tells me the reports of Michael Bradley's permanent move to Aston Villa being complete are "premature and untrue"

I have to agree with him. I doubt a decision will be announced until Aston Villa gets a manager.

Spain in a few days!

Herculez Gomez was traded to Estudiante Tecos from Pachuca. While he is leaving, DaMarcus Beaseley visited Pachuca yesterday to have talks with them about possibly joining the club.

Slizz

If Dempsey and Bradley are on the same squad in the Premier League I think that could be great exposure for US soccer and maybe gain some fans here. 2 of our top 5 players on 1 high(er) profile English club...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hey USA GAF, are you guys gonna follow the Gold Cup over here? I ask because the football thread is very Euro-centric and most there really care about USA vs Mexico - The tournament.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Regulus Tera said:
Hey USA GAF, are you guys gonna follow the Gold Cup over here? I ask because the football thread is very Euro-centric and most there really care about USA vs Mexico - The tournament.

I'll be mainly following it in this thread. If there are Gold Cup posts in the main thread I may post there as well.

Clydefrog

sazabirules said:
I'll be mainly following it in this thread. If there are Gold Cup posts in the main thread I may post there as well.

Same.

So, Friedel moved to Spurs. I love this. Friedel is an amazing keeper and Tottenham is my favorite EPL team :D

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Tomorrow's game should be fun but I hope whatever starters we have in are subbed out. They need to be ready and healthy for the game that matters on Tuesday.

xbhaskarx

sazabirules said:
Tomorrow's game should be fun but I hope whatever starters we have in are subbed out. They need to be ready and healthy for the game that matters on Tuesday.
I'm sure many of them will be.

Heretic

Regulus Tera said:
Mexican here, do you mean Chicharito? lol

The Mexican team right now is Chicharito plus ten. We are facing some really tough times regarding player selection. Most of our European players are facing problems regarding continuity -Carlos Vela is a perennial bench warmer, Andrés Guardado's team suffered multiple injuries these last two seasons and his team has been relegated so he's on the lookout for a transfer (probably to Russia or Portugal), Carlos Salcido is looking to go back to Mexico, and so on. Only Héctor Moreno and Javier Hernández seem to have some stability.

I will say that if Chicharito had been at the match against Ecuador we would have won. Our problem there was that we couldn't capitalise on our goalscoring opportunities. Which, admittedly, has been our problem since forever. I will rue the day Chicharito gets a cold. :(
This guy gets way more credit than he deserves. He's nothing but a cherry picker. He can put the ball away and i'll give him credit for being able to put the ball in the net when the opportunity presents itself and that's essentially what matters but he's not a play maker. When he has the ability to create plays and do more than out run or jump then i won't cring when i hear his name up there with Pele or Maradona or Hugo Sanchez.

Fuck chicharito...

xbhaskarx

Dempsey named Fulham's player of the year

The Club can confirm that Clint Dempsey has been voted Fulham’s Player of the Season for 2010/11 following an online poll.

Dempsey topped the vote by a considerable margin, ahead of Brede Hangeland in second place and Chris Baird in third place.

It was certainly a memorable campaign for the American international; he finished as the Club’s top goalscorer for the season.

His 12 Barclays Premier League strikes also saw him become Fulham’s leading Premier League goalscorer.

Stu Holden Wins BWSA Player of the Year

Really, it had to be him. The Yank lit up the Reebok this season, putting in great performance after great performance. He orchestrated our midfield, sending promising balls through to his strikers and wingers. He worked hard, making tackles for every ball that he lost and then some. He celebrated every goal his teammates scored, and got a few of his own back. His season was cut short by a poor tackle resulting in his second serious injury in a year. Maybe this injury is what really sealed the award, because we saw what our team looks like without him, and it’s not always pretty.

Holden Receives Top Award

Stuart Holden was crowned Bolton Wanderers' Player of the Year at Sunday evening's lavish awards night in the Premier Suite at the Reebok Stadium.

The American international was the unanimous choice for the top award at a packed and popular evening.

Holden's contributions in his first full season at the Reebok also earned him the Media Player of the Year.

Stu Thanks the Supporters

Clydefrog

h0tnD.jpg

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Heretic said:
This guy gets way more credit than he deserves. He's nothing but a cherry picker. He can put the ball away and i'll give him credit for being able to put the ball in the net when the opportunity presents itself and that's essentially what matters but he's not a play maker. When he has the ability to create plays and do more than out run or jump then i won't cring when i hear his name up there with Pele or Maradona or Hugo Sanchez.

Fuck chicharito...

People who compare Chicharito with those players are nutjobs. But he's a really solid and promising forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom