• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I finally watched the 2nd half on ESPN3. We had a few chances that should have been a goal. I'm now going to worry about the Gold Cup. Too many people were ball watching on the some of the goals and not doing anything. Ream was at fault for not being in position for the second goal.

Watched the game on time delay yesterday since I was out at the time, and now skimming through your reactions, heh, painful.

Our defense was criminally bad.

ngower

At least the tailgate/night before was fun!

Saw AO mentioned in here a couple times, where are you guys from?

Game was pretty bad, but I had a blast for the weekend so that result can't sour it. I'm glad we learned who's not ready for the Gold Cup now rather than against Canada.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
ngower said:
At least the tailgate/night before was fun!

Saw AO mentioned in here a couple times, where are you guys from?

Game was pretty bad, but I had a blast for the weekend so that result can't sour it. I'm glad we learned who's not ready for the Gold Cup now rather than against Canada.

So you think because certain players performed horribly against the best national team in the world that means those players won't be ready to play against a team that have only qualified for the World Cup once? The quality between the opposition is vast.

ngower

sazabirules said:
So you think because certain players performed horribly against the best national team in the world that means those players won't be ready to play against a team that have only qualified for the World Cup once? The quality between the opposition is vast.

No, I'm saying certain players played poorly and I'd rather find out in a friendly than in the Gold Cup. I don't care if we're playing Puerto Rico or Spain, a friendly is a friendly and Bradley clearly wanted to use this game to work out some things before the Gold Cup.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Regulus Tera said:
thatsthejoke.gif

Eh, he hinted the possibility of coming here in the future . I don't expect it at to ever happen but you never know.

When [my kids] are older, it is time for a different time in my professional life and my personal life, too,” Mourinho told ESPN. “So who knows? This is a great place for me. I came here with Chelsea, with Inter Milan and now with Real Madrid.

“I love L.A. I love to work here. Who knows, [maybe] my future will be around in a different environment.”

I wish Stu was healthy :( Holden/Bradley would work great.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
nBai1.png

Pretty classy, imo.

Slizz

Since we haven't been scoring a lot lately I'd love for a 2 goal lead going in to half of tonights game.

Plus I'll miss the second half due to the Heat game.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
If we score I'm hoping our forwards score. It would boost Jozy's confidence by a lot if he scored.

Here's the broadcasting schedule for tonight's game. I'll be watching on Telefutura since I don't get FSC.

Gold Cup, USA-Canada 8 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel, Telefutura, univisionfutbol.com, concacaf.com

ngower

Canada are going to want revenge for the last time we met in the Gold Cup. Bad calls really screwed them. Hopefully the US don't even think of storylines and just know they have to win. I think tonight's going to be a great game.

I'd hope the starting XI is:

Howard
Cherundolo-Bocanegra-Goodson-Spector
Edu-Bradley
Donovan-Dempsey
Altidore-Aguedelo

4-4-2 but midfielders play a little deeper.

Heretic

ngower said:
Canada are going to want revenge for the last time we met in the Gold Cup. Bad calls really screwed them. Hopefully the US don't even think of storylines and just know they have to win. I think tonight's going to be a great game.

I'd hope the starting XI is:

Howard
Cherundolo-Bocanegra-Goodson-Spector
Edu-Bradley
Donovan-Dempsey
Altidore-Aguedelo

4-4-2 but midfielders play a little deeper.
I don't know about edu being in there... I like the short chemistry that Sasha showed with Bradley and Dempsey.

Clydefrog

xbhaskarx said:
I'm no Bornstein fan but I'd take him any day over Spector at LB. Spector can barely handle RB competently so start him at LB?

Hmm actually... Bornstein or Spector? Eugh. That's a tough decision.

I wouldn't mind this backline:

Cherundolo - Bocanegra - Goodson - Lichaj

and if that doesn't work whatsoever, bring in Onyewu and swing Boca out to LB.

At any rate, this is Canada. We should win no matter who we put at LB.

ngower

Heretic said:
I don't know about edu being in there... I like the short chemistry that Sasha showed with Bradley and Dempsey.

Edu has been great for the US in recent games. Kljestan...not so much.

xbhaskarx

Clydefrog said:
Hmm actually... Bornstein or Spector? Eugh. That's a tough decision.

I don't think that's a decision at all, I don't think Spector is even a consideration at LB.
It will be Bocanegra, Bornstein, or Lichaj.

Heretic

Lichaj was all over the place against Spain. He hustled out there but at the same time when he had the ball it seemed like he wouldn't know what to do with it. He would always rush towards the other players instead of finding the open field.

NoRéN

sazabirules said:
If we score I'm hoping our forwards score. It would boost Jozy's confidence by a lot if he scored.

Here's the broadcasting schedule for tonight's game. I'll be watching on Telefutura since I don't get FSC.

Gold Cup, USA-Canada 8 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel, Telefutura, univisionfutbol.com, concacaf.com
Donovan and Dempsey will score. :(
It'll be awesome if both Agudelo and Altidore score. Altidore seemed to be doing pretty good for himself over in Turkey. Agudelo has been great for NY so now they just need to bring that to the national team. With Donovan and Dempsey supplying, hopefully today is their day.

NoRéN

Chuck Blazer denies US conspiracy over Fifa 'bribery' allegations
The Fifa executive committee member who kick-started the bribery scandal that threw the world governing body into crisis has dismissed claims that his comments were part of an American conspiracy to re-open the disputed 2022 World Cup bidding process.

The US official Chuck Blazer, who alleged that his Concacaf president, Jack Warner, had conspired with Sepp Blatter's presidential challenger, Mohamed bin Hammam, to bribe 25 Caribbean football associations with $40,000 (£24,500) each, said claims of a lot were "nonsense".

As the majority of Caribbean Football Union (CFU) members summoned to give evidence by Fifa's independent ethics committee at a three-day tribunal in Miami refused to attend, it is understood the investigation could be widened to encompass other allegations of impropriety.

Blazer said: "To say there is an American conspiracy is nonsense. The only things that were American in this were the $100 bills. I am nothing to do with the investigation. If national associations do not respond to Fifa's summons that's up to Fifa to deal with it."

One Caribbean federation has emailed Fifa to complain that the investigation is "biased" towards the US and has called for the former FBI director Louis Freeh to be replaced as lead investigator.

Sources close to the investigation said those making claims of a US conspiracy to re-open the 2022 World Cup bidding process by undermining Bin Hammam were merely trying to create a diversion.

An email from the secretary of Fifa's ethics committee, Marc Cavaliero, warned the 25 CFU associations that the committee "may draw a negative inference" from a refusal to attend the Miami hearing and reminded them that its statutes placed an obligation of disclosure on them. But reports in the US suggested that up to 20 of the 25 members intended to hold a separate meeting of their own.

There are signs that the divided CFU, which is split between those who blew the whistle on the alleged bribes and those who are continuing to protest the innocence of Warner and Bin Hammam, will splinter further. One CFU chairman has complained to Fifa that the investigation is "tainted and biased and clearly has a US-driven agenda".

The email points out that the former US president Bill Clinton worked on the American 2022 bid during the time Freeh was FBI director, and the main complainants – Blazer and the Chicago-based lawyer John Collins – are American, as are the investigators with the "interrogation being conducted on American soil". But others point out that Freeh and Clinton were in well-publicised dispute for most of the president's time in office and that Miami is the main transport hub for most countries in the Caribbean, and so the most obvious venue for the interviews.

A dossier of evidence compiled by a US lawyer for Blazer, after he was approached by concerned CFU members after a special meeting held with Bin Hammam in Trinidad on 10 and 11 May, alleged that they were offered $40,000 in $100 bills. The file contained signed affidavits, photographs, text messages and emails. Some of those present insisted that they were not offered any money.

Bin Hammam's withdrawal from the presidential election, hours before he and Warner were provisionally suspended, left Blatter as the only candidate and he was duly re-elected unopposed.

Meanwhile, Fifa has claimed that a whistleblower who could back up The Sunday Times' claims that Qatar 2022 paid $1.5m to two executive committee members made "unacceptable demands" about giving evidence in person.

"The whistleblower asked for conditions that could not possibly be accepted by Fifa," the governing body said. "Among others, the problems were that the whistleblower gave no warranty for the accuracy and correctness of the information he/she was providing, asked for the right to destroy the information at any time and that the information he/she provided not be made public."

Qatar 2022 has vociferously denied any wrongdoing, as have the two Fifa members: Issa Hayatou from Cameroon and Jacques Anouma from the Ivory Coast. Fifa's ethics committee has 56 days to complete its investigation from the date on which Bin Hammam, Warner and two CFU officials were suspended, meaning that it must do so by mid-July.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Clydefrog said:
You know Bornstein is going to start. :(

And what was wrong with his Bornstein during the World Cup? He had a good one. Like I said a few pages back the hate this guy gets is ridiculous and people use past reputations to misjudge his performance at the WC.

And lol at Spector being the first choice LB. He's behind Boca, Lichaj and Bornstein.

Slizz

shoplifter said:
ao tailgate =fuckin awesome
Little jelly of you now. I hope Jamaica can put on another show like they did last night since they are one of the teams I'll see this Gold Cup

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
xbhaskarx said:
I'm hoping for

Howard
Cherundolo-Bocanegra-Goodson-Bornstein
Edu-Bradley
Donovan-Dempsey
Altidore-Aguedelo

I suspect Bob will choose that or have Boca at LB and Onyewu in CB. I hope he chooses yours though.

Panama is already up by 2.

xbhaskarx

sazabirules said:
I suspect Bob will choose that or have Boca at LB and Onyewu in CB. I hope he chooses yours though.
Right I figured those were were the two choices defensively, and right now I wouldn't trust Gooch against Grenada's U-17 girls team.

Clydefrog

Whoa...

via ussoccer twitter:
#USMNT lineup vs Canada: Howard; Cherundolo, Goodson, Ream, Bocanegra (c); Dempsey, Bradley, Jones, Donovan; Altidore, Agudelo

bench: Hahnemann, Bedoya, Edu, Kljestan, Lichaj, Onyewu, Wondolowski

ngower

shoplifter said:
ao tailgate =fuckin awesome

They always are. USA v Spain was ridiculous. Been with them since February 2009 and have loved every game I've been able to go to.

Lineup is out:

ussoccer: #USMNT lineup v Canada: Howard; Cherundolo, Goodson, Ream, Bocanegra (c); Dempsey, Bradley, Jones, Donovan; Altidore, Agudelo

xbhaskarx

I guess Ream makes sense, we are playing Canada and not Spain after all.

I'm just glad Bradley didn't go with Gooch out of some sense of loyalty...

ATF487

Sort of thought more people would show up, especially it being in Detroit..

edit: the sod looks dodgy, yeah. I had never known how bad Gillette's turf looked until seeing Spain play on it though, can't believe it's Fifa approved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom