• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2016 [OT] Bodies ache, but New York will not wait. [Tennis]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
If Venus didn't challenge I was going to throw something

EDIT: Welp, there it is :(

Still, that was a great tiebreak. Valiant effort by Venus though.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Pliskova's first major quarterfinal. Backing up that Cincinnati title so far.

Surprised Stan lost the third set, hope he gets through in the fourth.

Serena has faced 1 break point all tournament, and has not been broken at all. Utter domination on serve. Good luck Simona.

Diamond

After this Nishikori-Karlovic match, you have to wonder why "return bot" isn't a term as often used as serve bot.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
for like two and a half games it seemed like dimitrov might actually make a match out of this. better than expected.

Diamond

I don't get why Dimitrov doesn't try to finish the points quicker. With long rallies he'll make one nice point once or twice but 95% of the time Murray will be better.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get why Dimitrov doesn't try to finish the points quicker. With long rallies he'll make one nice point once or twice but 95% of the time Murray will be better.

I've never liked dimitrov but at least he used to be an attacking player once. I have no idea what his game plan is any more - I hate to use the term pusher for any player that isn't Monfils, but Dimitrov has to be approaching that.

Diamond

Well I guess we can't have competitive tennis every night...
As Crab said Dimitrov seems to have zero answers to Murray's game. Given their last encounters I wasn't expecting that.

Niraj

Pretty dull match, but they can't all be winners. Hopefully Nishikori does a bit better, but I think it'll be an easy Murray win.

MIMIC

Banned
This is the same guy who easily dismissed Murray at Wimbledon a few years ago.

WTF was that? Murray literally pushed Dimitrov to death until he imploded.

Niraj

Disappointing result for Radwanska, but not too surprised. Konjuh probably would have won their Wimbledon match if she didn't roll her ankle.

Konjuh won 30/35 points behind her first serve, or 86% with around 60% in play. Even winning only 40% of 2nd serve points, that level of dominance against an opponent who relies on their return game is impressive. An entirely different task awaits her against Pliskova, who has a dominant serve of her own. I wonder if she'll progress up the rankings like Bencic and Bouchard - a bit worrying that she's already had elbow surgery, given how many injuries the young women seem to get (think Keys, Bencic, Muguruza, etc.).

Diamond

Konjuh won 30/35 points behind her first serve, or 86% with around 60% in play. Even winning only 40% of 2nd serve points, that level of dominance against an opponent who relies on their return game is impressive. An entirely different task awaits her against Pliskova, who has a dominant serve of her own. I wonder if she'll progress up the rankings like Bencic and Bouchard - a bit worrying that she's already had elbow surgery, given how many injuries the young women seem to get (think Keys, Bencic, Muguruza, etc.).

It's the same with the men (Coric, Kyrgios, Thiem). Now that the game is the most physical it has ever been, it seems that players must have matured physically to endure the tour rythm week after week.

Milchmann

Angie struggled with Vinci's slice in the first set and didn't know what to do. Now both players seem to know that Vinci can't win in three sets.

Not surprised. Few people overrated Pouille. Lots of average players have beaten Nadal in slams. Pouille just about managed to get in the third round to play him.

Also credit to Monfils. He is having a fine year.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Not surprised. Few people overrated Pouille. Lots of average players have beaten Nadal in slams. Pouille just about managed to get in the third round to play him.

Also credit to Monfils. He is having a fine year.

pouille also made the quarter at wimbledon, so it's too early to call it a fluke. the main reason why he lost so easily was because he had played three five-set matches in a row before this. dude had no legs.

post tropical storm Hermine is stationed just off long island. Thats causing NYC to get some strong winds and rain. If it weren't for the roof, not much play would get in today as matches on all other courts are suspended atm

RedAssedApe

Banned
Gael Monfils Grand Slam Champion.

I need this in my life.

i'd pay to see that celebration

giphy.gif

pouille also made the quarter at wimbledon, so it's too early to call it a fluke. the main reason why he lost so easily was because he had played three five-set matches in a row before this. dude had no legs.

Well if he played better in his first two games then he wouldn't have that problem. I didn't call it a fluke. I said reaching two quarters at 22 and doing nothing the rest of the year isn't enough to be called a future grand slam champion. Del Potro beating peak Federer and Nadal at 21, winning a slam and reaching finals that year was impressive. The great players are always consistent from a young age.

Monfils exposed his weakness, so give him credit.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Well if he played better in his first two games then he wouldn't have that problem. I didn't call it a fluke. I said reaching two quarters at 22 and doing nothing the rest of the year isn't enough to be called a future grand slam champion. Del Potro beating peak Federer and Nadal at 21, winning a slam and reaching finals that year was impressive. The great players are always consistent from a young age.

Monfils exposed his weakness, so give him credit.

it's always pointless to seriously call someone a future slam champion, and monfils was clearly better, but the point is that pouille has clearly improved very quickly and it remains to be seen if he can keep doing so. he did it the hard way this time and didn't have enough in the tank to keep going, but maybe he gets better and won't have to do that next time. or maybe he follows someone like dimitrov and this is his "peak."

but i think you're pretty much dead wrong about great players always being consistent from a young age, especially since we seem to be defining great players as grand slam champions. wawrinka is a two time slam champion but he was 27 or 28 when he made his first slam semi. later bloomers are a thing. even federer only made 2 quarters before he won his first slam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom