• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2016 [OT] Bodies ache, but New York will not wait. [Tennis]

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's always pointless to seriously call someone a future slam champion, and monfils was clearly better, but the point is that pouille has clearly improved very quickly and it remains to be seen if he can keep doing so. he did it the hard way this time and didn't have enough in the tank to keep going, but maybe he gets better and won't have to do that next time. or maybe he follows someone like dimitrov and this is his "peak."

but i think you're pretty much dead wrong about great players always being consistent from a young age, especially since we seem to be defining great players as grand slam champions. wawrinka is a two time slam champion but he was 27 or 28 when he made his first slam semi. later bloomers are a thing. even federer only made 2 quarters before he won his first slam.

You give me one example of a late bloomer because it rarely happens. Federer at Pouilles age won a grand slam. Djokovic at 20 won a slam. Nadal at 18. Sampras at 19. Agassi at 22.

Federer also reached 15 finals before his first Grandslam and he won 8 of them. I'm not just looking at grandslams because the other tournaments are just as important to assess. The great players play well in them also.

It annoys me because we been hearing for years about these future grand slam champions. Yet these players go on to do nothing.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i cannot bring myself to watch poor jo getting bodied, so i'm just going to bed. i will just check the extent of the carnage when i wake up.

It annoys me because we been hearing for years about these future grand slam champions. Yet these players go on to do nothing.

but federer and nadal are pretty much done and djokovic and murray are pushing 30. one of them is bound to fluke one eventually.

Speevy

Banned
Wozniaki was that woman who kept being #1 but she never could win any championships.

She was praised for her consistency on court despite getting killed in every final.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Woz has made the USO final twice (2009, 2014). Wouldn't be shocked if it happened again (probably with the same result)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Wozniaki was that woman who kept being #1 but she never could win any championships.

She was praised for her consistency on court despite getting killed in every final.

don't forget safina. lol

crazy that it was 6 years ago. i guess i should root for her and delpo.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

she actually had a pretty good record in finals. it's just that she only made it there once in a slam (and again in 2014 of course).

Diamond

You give me one example of a late bloomer because it rarely happens. Federer at Pouilles age won a grand slam. Djokovic at 20 won a slam. Nadal at 18. Sampras at 19. Agassi at 22.

Federer also reached 15 finals before his first Grandslam and he won 8 of them. I'm not just looking at grandslams because the other tournaments are just as important to assess. The great players play well in them also.

I agree with you that it's too soon to call Pouille a future slam champ, but

- it's unfair to compare him only to the greatest of the sport. Nobody is expecting him to be Federer, Nadal, Sampras, Agassi or Djoko.
- you have to take into account that we are in a period where young players don't win slams anymore. Tennis allowed young champions to win for a long time, but not anymore. The top players are too solid for youngsters, they have to mature mentally and physically to have a chance. That's maybe not a trend that will continue, as Dunbar said the big 4 will retire sooner or later, but at this moment in time that's something undeniable. Careers are longer too, so it's likely many 20-25yo players of today will still be competitive in 10 years. That's 40 slams up for grabs.

US Open thread?
As a person who walks in Flushing Meadow park every other day I am counting the seconds till this shit is over. Every year for two weeks all I see is a bunch of middle age white people walking around in sockless loafers and a sweater on their shoulders after taking up all the parking spots.

Kensuke

Yeah no. Tsonga needs to play near his very best or even his absolute best to beat Djokovic. He's not even close tonight. Already looks lost out there.

Where the hell did this Wozniacki come from?

She lives in NYC so she can sleep in her own bed and that's helping her.

Dude your examples are literally the greatest to ever play the game. Settle down.

US Open thread?
As a person who walks in Flushing Meadow park every other day I am counting the seconds till this shit is over. Every year for two weeks all I see is a bunch of middle age white people walking around in sockless loafers and a sweater on their shoulders after taking up all the parking spots.

Oldmanyellingatcloud/getoffmylawn.jpg

sam777

US Open thread?
Cool story...

Hazzuh

Is Djokovic's draw the easiest in a slam ever? Surely not but I am struggling to think of an easier one.

Janowicz -> w/o -> Youzhny retires after 6 games -> Edmund -> Tsonga retires after two sets -> Monfils -> Final.

Is Djokovic's draw the easiest in a slam ever? Surely not but I am struggling to think of an easier one.

Janowicz -> w/o -> Youzhny retires after 6 games -> Edmund -> Tsonga retires after two sets -> Monfils -> Final.

Monfils probably has at least a 30% chance of retiring in the Djokovic match given his injury history late in tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom