• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2017 |OT| The One Where Everyone's Injured (Or Pregnant)

Diamond

Wouldn't be so negative. US tennis has one of the best pool of young talents right now.

Jared Donaldson
Frances Tiafoe
Ernesto Escobedo
Taylor Fritz
Tommy Paul
Stefan Kozlov
Michael Mmoh
Reilly Opelka

are all in the top 200 and all around 20yo. No other country has so much young players ranked that high.
Plus all of them will play the best part of their careers with a retired big four.

Wouldn't be so negative. US tennis has one of the best pool of young talents right now.

Jared Donaldson
Frances Tiafoe
Ernesto Escobedo
Taylor Fritz
Tommy Paul
Stefan Kozlov
Michael Mmoh
Reilly Opelka

are all in the top 200 and all around 20yo. No other country has so much young players ranked that high.
Plus all of them will play the best part of their careers with a retired big four.

We have quanitity, but I'm not sure if we have quality. Canada has fewer prospects than the US, but Shapovalov and Felix Auger-Alisame are both more talented than any of the US prospects and will probably have better careers. Russia currently has 3 players in position to qualify for the Next-Gen masters tournament while USA just has 1. It has been 14 years since the last American won a slam, and I see many more years to go before an American wins one. Maybe when Donaldson is 29 years old
we'll see. i think if you never made the top 100 by the time your 20 you're not gonna be a slam threat.
To be fair, Fritz made the top 100 when he was 18. Escobedo is inside the top 100, and so is Donaldson and Tiafoe.

clemenx

Banned
Yeah quantity doesn't necessarily mean anything. France has had a million dudes in the top 100 forever and only Tsonga was ever close to being elite.

i just looked through the list and i think every single grand slam winner in this millenium was in the top 100 at age 20.

yes tennis gotten older at the top but i don't think this is going to change all of a sudden. especially since it is true for Zverev and Shapovalov.

Diamond

I'm not saying USA has a slam secured with these players, it's rather that you have a good pool of guys who possibly can make it. Sure, Canada for example has tremendous talents in Shapovalov and Aliassime, there are Medvedev and Rublev in Russia, Zverev in Germany, but you quickly run out of names, and it's unprobable all slams will be won by only five guys in the next 10 years.

Also, drawing a line at 20yo seems pretty arbitrary to me. Remember that a lot of these guys will play until 35 years old, with no legends like Federer or Nadal to beat.

So yeah, I'm only saying that USA is not in a bad place right now, that's all.

i just looked through the list and i think every single grand slam winner in this millenium was in the top 100 at age 20.

yes tennis gotten older at the top but i don't think this is going to change all of a sudden. especially since it is true for Zverev and Shapovalov.

We'll see I guess, but given that careers are longer, I wouldn't close the door this soon. And even then, there are still Donaldson, Tiafoe, Escobedo and Fritz who check that requirement, which is quite a lot.

Also, drawing a line at 20yo seems pretty arbitrary to me. Remember that a lot of these guys will play until 35 years old, with no legends like Federer or Nadal to beat.

20 is usually when the new players get into the top 100 and start winning matches at big tournaments. that has been true for decades now and so far it doesn't seem to change.
several of the US players fulfil that criteria btw.

Ricker

Where is this Kenin coming from lol ;)...first time I hear of her and its in the 3rd round of the US Open lol...anyway,good for her,lets see how she does on Ashe,on primetime,against Sharapova no less...

Well Kenin got 7 games off Sharapova which is about 3 more games than I though she would get. If Kenin is going to try to win on tour as a grinder, she needs to get even more consistent and she needs to be smarter with her shot decisions.

Big struggle from Sharapova. Sevatsova will be a tough one for Maria. Im calling that upset now.

I remember seeing pictures of Kenin years ago as a child, amazing that one of these young "prodigies" actually became something. Her game is not very impressive and she still plays like a junior. For a player who lacks a major weapon and depends on her defense, she really needs to learn to hit some defensive slices. Those short moonballs will not cut it on tour.

I often feel mixed about American players going to college but I think it would be for the best for Kenin unless she improves greatly. But good for her making round 3 and pushing Sharapova!

d+pad

Big struggle from Sharapova. Sevatsova will be a tough one for Maria. Im calling that upset now.

Hilariously, it technically wouldn't be an upset, as Sevastova is the 16th seed! That said, I hear you. I've been eyeing that matchup since Sharapova beat Halep, and I too think it will be an interesting, tough match. I wouldn't say Sharapova losing is a sure thing, though; I'd just say I won't be surprised if she makes too many errors and finds a way to lose. I personally hope she's able to clean up her game a bit (especially from the last two rounds) and pull through. If not, it's still been an awesome run!

Fallen Seeds:

WTA:
[32] L. Davis
[31] M. Rybáriková
[29] M. Lučić-Baroni
[28] L. Tsurenko
[26] A. Kontaveit
[25] D. Gavrilova
[24] K. Bertens
[23] B. Strýcová
[22] P.Shuai
[21] A. Konjuh
[19] A. Pavlyuchenkova
[18] C. Garcia
[14] K. Mladenovic
[11] D. Cibulková
[08] S. Kuznetsova
[07] J. Konta
[06] A. Kerber
[05] C. Wozniacki
[02] S. Halep

ATP:
[32] R. Haase
[27] P. Cuevas
[26] R. Gasquet
[25] K. Khachanov
[22] F. Fognini
[21] D. Ferrer
[20] A. Ramos Viñolas
[19] G. Muller
[15] T. Berdych
[14] N. Kyrgios
[13] J. Sock
[10] J. Isner
[08] J. Tsonga
[07] G. Dimitrov
[05] M. Cilic
[04] A. Zverev
[02] A. Murray

Seeds eliminated WTA: 19
Seeds eliminated ATP: 17

Top 10 eliminated WTA: 5
Top 10 eliminated ATP: 6

Ricker

I remember seeing pictures of Kenin years ago as a child, amazing that one of these young "prodigies" actually became something. Her game is not very impressive and she still plays like a junior. For a player who lacks a major weapon and depends on her defense, she really needs to learn to hit some defensive slices. Those short moonballs will not cut it on tour.

I often feel mixed about American players going to college but I think it would be for the best for Kenin unless she improves greatly. But good for her making round 3 and pushing Sharapova!

Yep...was not really impressed either with Kenin,although she did well all things considered in the first set, and you are right about those moonball shots,she needs to get rid of that asap...especially against Sharapova,she pounced on those like a happy cat lol...

One of these players will be in the US Open Final:
S Querrey
M Zverev
P Lorenzi
K Anderson
D Shapovalov
P Carreño Busta
L Pouille
D Schwartzman

What did we do to deserve this?

sam12

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/02/maria...nse-to-caroline-wozniacki-complaints-6897729/

Sharapova has played all of her matches at Flushing Meadows so far on the Arthur Ashe stadium court and Wozniacki had been critical of the tournament organiser’s scheduling, claiming it has sent the wrong message.

‘I don’t make the schedule,’ said Sharapova, who is now on course to return to the top 100 players in the world.

‘I’m a pretty big competitor. If you put me out in the parking lot of Queens in New York City, I’m happy to play there.
‘That’s not what matters to me. All that matters to me is I’m in the fourth round. Yeah, I’m not sure where she is…’

sam777

One of these players will be in the US Open Final:
S Querrey
M Zverev
P Lorenzi
K Anderson
D Shapovalov
P Carreño Busta
L Pouille
D Schwartzman

What did we do to deserve this?

Ye was checking this earlier, what a joke that side of the draw has become.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
just found out isner lost

excuse me a moment

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

oti

Banned
At this point I'm clearly rooting for him as well. I mean the Canadian is bit too young for my liking and everyone else is just terrible.
The audacity with which he runs to the net is amazing.

And he eliminated Isner. For us. For Tennis. For the World.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
As I like at the bottom half of the men's draw, I am filled with rage toward Andy Murray.

andymurray-512521.jpg

Diamond

Given it's a rather exceptional thing, I must admit I quite like this almost comical draw. I mean you have very diverse, and not often slam-firendly styles of play on display, and it's fun to try to guess who's going to prevail.

Top Bottom