• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2017 |OT| The One Where Everyone's Injured (Or Pregnant)

Given it's a rather exceptional thing, I must admit I quite like this almost comical draw. I mean you have very diverse, and not often slam-firendly styles of play on display, and it's fun to try to guess who's going to prevail.

i kinda agree, i act like it's the end of tennis but it's funny.
as long as this is not the future of men's tennis.

IISANDERII

Given it's a rather exceptional thing, I must admit I quite like this almost comical draw. I mean you have very diverse, and not often slam-firendly styles of play on display, and it's fun to try to guess who's going to prevail.
The organizers like Shapo, he's already had two matches on Ashe.

d+pad

Pliskova playing with fire every match

I have a feeling another player will put her out of her misery soon enough, sadly :(

Speaking of which, Ostapenko is stinking up the court against Kasatkina at the moment. Really too bad, as I was hoping Ostapenko would make a deep run here and even possibly win the whole thing...

It's depressing. I don't see any wonder kid upcoming either. Maybe Tiafoe but I'm not convinced.

I think Jack Sock level is his ceiling.

Wouldn't be so negative. US tennis has one of the best pool of young talents right now.

Jared Donaldson
Frances Tiafoe
Ernesto Escobedo
Taylor Fritz
Tommy Paul
Stefan Kozlov
Michael Mmoh
Reilly Opelka

are all in the top 200 and all around 20yo. No other country has so much young players ranked that high.
Plus all of them will play the best part of their careers with a retired big four.

They could all be Jack Socks, but I will be highly surprised if any of them wins a major. Quantity != quality.

d+pad

Something ist wrong with Ostapenko. Maybe low blood pressure or sth. Like that (she had a medical timeout).

Definitely. And Kasatkina just pushed her way to victory. Gross. Not talking about Kasatkina herself, but her play here. Basically won by pooping every shot back into the court.

MIMIC

Banned
So Fognini's out.

And by out, I mean banned.

Fabio Fognini has been provisionally suspended from the U.S. Open "pending a final determination whether a major offense was committed" after he went on a misogynistic rant against a female umpire in his first-round loss on Wednesday. The suspension means Fognini and doubles partner Simone Bolelli will forfeit their Round of 16 match and be withdrawn from the doubles draw.

https://www.si.com/tennis/2017/09/02/fabio-fognini-su

sam777

Ah cool. I actually caught that live and wondered why this was not a big deal. Even tweeted to the people in charge.
Good work, they should hire you to be on the board at the ATP.

Seriously though he has been fined so many times for outbursts on court this was going to happen eventually, just disappointing for Bolleli who has been caught in the crossfire here.

oti

Banned
There was a kid on cam.
The kid was dabbing.
The US Open should be cancelled forever.
Trash.
U-Trash Open.

Ricker

These 2 commentators with the Coco this and Coco that,just no,jesus, get over it lol...

Go Radwanska please ;P

and yeah its a good match

d+pad

Radwanska - Vanderweghe might be the first US Open 2017 match I'd call entertaining.

You didn't enjoy Halep vs. Sharapova? Makarova vs. Wozniacki? A. Zverev vs. Coric? M. Zverev vs. Isner?

I know the tourney's been a bit of a mess, but I've enjoyed quite a few matches so far.

I enjoy tournaments where Federer doesn't lose and so far he hasn't. If he does though i will not like this tournament anymore.

oti

Banned
You didn't enjoy Halep vs. Sharapova? Makarova vs. Wozniacki? A. Zverev vs. Coric? M. Zverev vs. Isner?

I know the tourney's been a bit of a mess, but I've enjoyed quite a few matches so far.
Couldn't watch all of Sharapova Halep unfortunately. The Eurosport App is a mess when it comes to video on demand. Zverev Isner was fun. But only because Isner lost. Radwanska Coco felt like two completely different play styles clashing while both players were giving their best.
I enjoy tournaments where Federer doesn't lose and so far he hasn't. If he does though i will not like this tournament anymore.
Don't you still owe me a Switch or something? 🤔

Ricker

My top 2 matches this year are the Sharapova/Bouchard match in Madrid and Shapovalov/Nadal match in Montreal...a little bias lol but yeah.

Theres been a few good one at this Open but nothing truly memorable so far(from those I saw),hopefully in the second week it will pick up.

AoM

At this point I have to imagine that the US Open's YouTube channel is being managed by one or two overworked, underpaid interns.

My top 2 matches this year are the Sharapova/Bouchard match in Madrid and Shapovalov/Nadal match in Montreal...a little bias lol but yeah.

Theres been a few good one at this Open but nothing truly memorable so far(from those I saw),hopefully in the second week it will pick up.

Gotta have the Aussie final in there.

Diamond

What happened?

Knee injury that he got in his last match. Monfils in going to fall out of the top 30 after the tournament. Sad times for french tennis, luckily Pouille is gonna win his first slam next sunday!!!

Gotta have the Aussie final in there.

Yeah. AO had plenty of quality matches, and even Roland Garros and Wimbledon where you could see the result from miles away had a few fun matches.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
dark times when the best hope for stopping nadal before the semifinal is a 30 year old lucky loser with a one-handed backhand.

Kensuke

Mayer is pretty sharp today, and Rafa looks mediocre again. Mayer should have taken that break in the second set though. I can already feel this is gonna be the moment this match turned around.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
It took 14 break points to break Mayer. Still, this is probably gonna cause him to fold.

after all these years, nadal is finally playing like federer.

mayer deserved to be broken there. hitting the ball right at nadal at 40-40, smh.

Top Bottom