• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2017 |OT| The One Where Everyone's Injured (Or Pregnant)

On my way home, which'll be a two hour commute. Had a lot of fun today and at the very end checked the box office...

...and bought a ticket for Tuesday night quarterfinals for $115. Only because I didn't get to see Arthur Ashe today lol

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
On my way home, which'll be a two hour commute. Had a lot of fun today and at the very end checked the box office...

...and bought a ticket for Tuesday night quarterfinals for $115. Only because I didn't get to see Arthur Ashe today lol

Glad you had a good time dude.

Kensuke

Daniel is putting up a nice fight so far. He's hanging in there in those long rallies. Nadal is hitting too many errors though. The mediocrity continues.

lol, here we go

Smellycat

This match is 6-4 2-2 and it is already half as long as Federer's first round 5 setter and almost 10 minutes away from being half as long his second one lol

It's going to be strange watching tennis in a few years when the big 4 are gone. So far no one is even looking like stepping up to take the mantle.

I beg to differ. We have already had breakthrough performances from several teenagers, especially Shapovolov. Generation useless continues to stay that way though, and A. Zverev is also not delivering in GSs.

clemenx

Banned
Is there anyone even playing great on the Men's side? Shapovalov and Coric looked fine but can't really expect consistency from those kids. Tournament is so open for anyone.

Kensuke

Is there anyone even playing great on the Men's side? Shapovalov and Coric looked fine but can't really expect consistency from those kids. Tournament is so open for anyone.

Cilic seemed to be doing well. Who knows if the injury will reappear if he's more seriously tested though.

RedAssedApe

Banned
haha all these women players salty about maria. kind of hope she wins the tournament. sodium levels would be at an all time high.

Fallen Seeds:

WTA:
[32] L. Davis
[29] M. Lučić-Baroni
[28] L. Tsurenko
[26] A. Kontaveit
[25] D. Gavrilova
[24] K. Bertens
[23] B. Strýcová
[22] P.Shuai
[21] A. Konjuh
[19] A. Pavlyuchenkova
[14] K. Mladenovic
[11] D. Cibulková
[08] S. Kuznetsova
[07] J. Konta
[06] A. Kerber
[05] C. Wozniacki
[02] S. Halep

ATP:
[32] R. Haase
[27] P. Cuevas
[26] R. Gasquet
[25] K. Khachanov
[22] F. Fognini
[21] D. Ferrer
[20] A. Ramos Viñolas
[19] G. Muller
[15] T. Berdych
[14] N. Kyrgios
[13] J. Sock
[08] J. Tsonga
[07] G. Dimitrov
[04] A. Zverev

Seeds eliminated WTA: 16
Seeds eliminated ATP: 14

Top 10 eliminated WTA: 5
Top 10 eliminated ATP: 3

sam777

Fallen Seeds:

WTA:
[32] L. Davis
[29] M. Lučić-Baroni
[28] L. Tsurenko
[26] A. Kontaveit
[25] D. Gavrilova
[24] K. Bertens
[23] B. Strýcová
[22] P.Shuai
[21] A. Konjuh
[19] A. Pavlyuchenkova
[14] K. Mladenovic
[11] D. Cibulková
[08] S. Kuznetsova
[07] J. Konta
[06] A. Kerber
[05] C. Wozniacki
[02] S. Halep

ATP:
[32] R. Haase
[27] P. Cuevas
[26] R. Gasquet
[25] K. Khachanov
[22] F. Fognini
[21] D. Ferrer
[20] A. Ramos Viñolas
[19] G. Muller
[15] T. Berdych
[14] N. Kyrgios
[13] J. Sock
[08] J. Tsonga
[07] G. Dimitrov
[04] A. Zverev

Seeds eliminated WTA: 16
Seeds eliminated ATP: 14

Top 10 eliminated WTA: 5
Top 10 eliminated ATP: 3

You may as well add Murray to this since he was in the draw.

I beg to differ. We have already had breakthrough performances from several teenagers, especially Shapovolov. Generation useless continues to stay that way though, and A. Zverev is also not delivering in GSs.

Still waiting for someone else to come through and win a slam. Even with Fed and Nadal on their last legs the next generation still can't step up and win. They're basically waiting for the big 4 to retire.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

No exciting matches on the men's side today.

I don't know, Edmund-Shapovalov is a good clash of the promising youngsters, and Coric-Anderson will be a good test for both players.

sam777

I don't know, Edmund-Shapovalov is a good clash of the promising youngsters, and Coric-Anderson will be a good test for both players.
Actually ye Edmund Vs Shapvalov should be decent. This half of the draw is so open but Cilic should be getting to the final pretty easily.

d+pad

haha all these women players salty about maria. kind of hope she wins the tournament. sodium levels would be at an all time high.

I have a feeling her comment after beating Halep--"this girl isn't going anywhere!"--was aimed at them. Ha!

Also, I love that the complaint du jour is that all of her USO matches are taking place in Arthur Ashe Stadium. Uh, news flash, ladies: she's a former number one, she's won five GS singles titles, she's really popular, and she beat the second seed and world number two in the first round. All of those things attract attention and sell tickets.

When you can do the same, you'll also play your matches on center court. Until then, stay salty!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
She's also a drugs cheat who shouldn't have been allowed back into the sport, but there we go.

EDIT: This applies to Cilic, too.

d+pad

She's also a drugs cheat who shouldn't have been allowed back into the sport, but there we go.

EDIT: This applies to Cilic, too.

That is your opinion. Thankfully, it's not the opinion of the ruling body of the sport.

d+pad

The ruling body of the sport is about as straight as FIFA.

Well, guess what? They make the decisions in these cases. So, I guess you'll just have to continue to hate her and ignore her as much as possible, as like she said the other day, she isn't going anywhere.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Well, guess what? They make the decisions in these cases. So, I guess you'll just have to continue to hate her and ignore her as much as possible, as like she said the other day, she isn't going anywhere.

I'm fine with this. She can go on the list with Gatlin, Cilic, Gay, Powell, and many more. Anyone defending them is gross.

sam12

I'm fine with this. She can go on the list with Gatlin, Cilic, Gay, Powell, and many more. Anyone defending them is gross.

She served her punishment, just move on. All players need to move on as well, especially Wozniacki in her salty post loss interview. She really didn't like how someone who has served her drug sentence was playing in center court while she was in court 5. Focus on your game Wozniacki.

That first match between Halep and Sharapova was the most exciting one so far. Sharapova is quite focused and one with star power.

It's a business, does anyone want to see Woz play? Doubt it.

Maria fills the seats. And they need it with how bad one of the men's half is.

d+pad

It's a business, does anyone want to see Woz play?

Only when she's getting pummeled, such as was the case the other day in her match vs. Makarova.

Speaking of Makarova, she's rarely looked as good as she did during that match. Granted, she should have won it in two, but I was impressed with her ability to start over in the third and get the job done. (I've often seen her implode after giving up leads, etc.)

I've also been really impressed with Muguruza and Ostapenko so far. I would love it if either of them won the whole thing. These are the kinds of players we need winning GS titles and taking the number one spot, IMO.

I'd also love for Sharapova to continue her run, of course, but realistically I see it ending before the final. I kind of doubt she loses tonight (although who knows? I know nothing of this Kenin girl...), but after that there's probably Sevastova (4th round), Barty/Krunic/Stephens (quarters) and then Kvitova/Muguruza/Williams (semis)--all of whom could topple her...

If you are so principled you should stop watching the sport. Otherwise your statements come off meaningless. By supporting the sport that supports these kinds of athletes you are defending them.

RedAssedApe

Banned
still way early in the tourney but i hope she gets to play coco. her comments about how the wildcard should gone to another american kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

I do still absolutely blame her for it and she deserved a ban and the damage it will forever have on her career, "but," her situation really is the least bad/malicious it could possibly be. If you don't even admit that then IDK really.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If you are so principled you should stop watching the sport. Otherwise your statements come off meaningless. By supporting the sport that supports these kinds of athletes you are defending them.

This is terrible logic. It would mean a single drugs cheat means I can no longer support honest players. No, I can continue to support honest players by watching tennis, I just have to avoid watching Sharapova matches - which, by and large, I do.

I'd also love for Sharapova to continue her run, of course, but realistically I see it ending before the final. I kind of doubt she loses tonight (although who knows? I know nothing of this Kenin girl...),.

Kenin is a Russian born tennis player who resides in Florida, just like her opponent.

Kenin is a bit undersized though and doesn't have any weapons. Sharapova should be able to dictate all the points and have the match on her racket. I would be surprised if Kenin takes a set off Sharapova.

d+pad

I do still absolutely blame her for it and she deserved a ban and the damage it will forever have on her career, "but," her situation really is the least bad/malicious it could possibly be. If you don't even admit that then IDK really.

This is basically how I look at the situation, too. She's to blame for not realizing the drug had been banned, for continuing to take it after that, and for taking it in the first place. That said, she accepted her punishment and blame and stayed away from the game for the required 15 months.

With that out of the way, what more do you want? What more is there to complain about? OK, some folks--fellow players included--think she should have been banned for life. Well, guess what? That's not how this kind of situation is handled in tennis, esp. based on the findings of her case. (She was found to have not intentionally doped, for the record.) So, why not just move on and accept that she's back in the game?

BTW, I truly believe most of the "sour grapes" comments spewing from the mouths of some plays comes from jealousy and hatred. They didn't like her before the doping scandal, so now they've latched onto it because it allows them to publicly rip on her.

Which is fine, as I get the feeling she doesn't care. Also, the only thing it's going to do is fuel her desire to beat all of them to a pulp on the tennis court. It isn't going to cause her to walk away from the game, as so many of them hope...

Just saw on the end of sports center that Serena might be in labor, here's to a healthy baby and see you back on the court soon.

Jisgsaw

i didn't believe at the AO
i didn't believe at Wimby

but i sure as hell believe here, y'all haters. 20 is coming.

i didn't believe at the AO
i didn't believe at Wimby

i believed last week.
But now, with already two five setters, no way in hell 20 is comming :-(

d+pad

Kenin is a bit undersized though and doesn't have any weapons. Sharapova should be able to dictate all the points and have the match on her racket. I would be surprised if Kenin takes a set off Sharapova.

Thanks for the info! I just looked up the highlights of her match with Vickery, and I'd say it backed up your description of Kenin's style/game. That said, she's crafty and she's made it to the third round, so I'm not about to discount her--esp. when Sharapova made it clear during the first set and a half of her last match that she's more than capable of an off day right now.

Top Bottom