• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valiant Hearts: The Great War |OT| Some made it, some did not.

VanWinkle

I hope the game gets good reviews. The trailers show such great promise, but it's hard to tell if it's good from a game standpoint.

Ubisofts smaller games are actually always pretty good (exceptions like I am Alive nothwitstanding), and the Montpellier Studio has a great track record.

They are way better than their AAA stuff, that's for sure. But they still manage to be repetitive and sometimes boring in some sort of way. I didn't like child of light either.

I like this setting though, will check it out today if it isn't broken.

Strider

So everything is 7 or higher so far? Yea I'm gonna pick this up and start it tonight. I'm sold based on these reviews

sjay1994

I was having a bad week when I played Valiant Hearts, so whether the game in its entirety can claim credit is tough to say, but I had tears in my eyes as the end titles rolled. It may provide Ubisoft - a company I've more than criticized in the past - a little bit of satisfaction that it was able to make me cry, but it is certainly commendable that this game was able to draw such a reaction from me, regardless of any other circumstances at play. In the end, a perfect combination of narrative building, poignant dialog, beautiful music, and heartrending voice acting drew an extreme and rare reaction from me, and ensured Valiant Hearts' place as an unforgettable personal experience.

-Jim Sterling

Shit, the game made Sterling cry? Didn't think the man had tears to shed, will purchase the game when I get home.

wouwie

Very decent reviews so far. It makes me happy to see an adventure game getting good reviews. Big thumbs up to Ubisoft for making this game. I can't wait until tomorrow to buy.

Xater

Reviews seem decent but they also don't blow me away. Probably something I'll pick up on a sale or for free should it hit PS+.

MADGAME

The dog is the narrator, of course he lives. Everyone else is going to die though, and we will have a repeat of Seymour from Futurama. And that is infinitely more depressing that the dog just dying.

A first-person narration doesn't necessarily ensure survival, unless of course you have insider information.

Not a review, but may be of interest anyway.

Gamasutra Q&A: Telling human stories of the Great War with Valiant Hearts

How did Valiant Hearts come together?

Yoan: First it was all Paul; Paul [Tumelaire] started the project three years ago by drawing some characters, making some concept art, and in fact the project was very small, it was more of a solo project at the beginning. About a year and a half after that, we really started the project in earnest when Simon and I joined Paul to start building the story and start thinking about the gameplay. But it started as just art.

Simon: After the end of Rayman Legends, which Paul and I both worked on, we really wanted to start this project because we knew that 2014 would be the centenary of the Great War. But at first the direction of the project wasn’t that story-driven; we thought that building on the early artwork would be a good opportunity to create a unique game that was driven as much by history as by story and gameplay.
Continued at the link.

The dog is the narrator, of course he lives. Everyone else is going to die though, and we will have a repeat of Seymour from Futurama. And that is infinitely more depressing that the dog just dying.

Whelp, looks like I am not buying then...I cant watch that Futurama episode and if this game is being likened to that episode then I dont see playing this game in my immediate future. I know, I know, embarrassing.

El Odio

Banned
With Shovel Knight coming out Thursday I might hold off on getting this till my next paycheck but these reviews are probably going to make me get it tomorrow anyway.

EDIT: Wait, does that IGN video review have spoilers?!?!

jdevil99

Between this and Shovel Knights, my weekend is covered......it's to bad work and some social events also have my weekend covered.

bender

What time is it?
How have a not heard of this game before? I'm not sure I can play through it. I lost my Rottie about a month ago and the trailer had me choked up.

Darksol

Downloading now for PS4. Apparently it's also available for PS3. Purchased through the online store. Can't wait to play it.

Whoa, wasn't expecting so many good reviews.

Good to see though, shame about the odd numbered achievements on the X1. Will grab it on PS4...

Yes, that sounds like a stupid reason to choose between the two, but I hate, hate odd numbered achievements. Damn Viking and Dishwasher nearly destroyed me...

I've been looking forward to this game but now I find my self hesitant to buy it. I don't know if I can deal with the feels if anything happens to the dog.

Lima

I've been looking forward to this game but now I find my self hesitant to buy it. I don't know if I can deal with the feels if anything happens to the dog.

If anything happens to that dog there will be a riot I can tell.

Top Bottom