• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valiant Hearts: The Great War |OT| Some made it, some did not.

Kenpachi

i beat the game.. Took me about 5ish hours
ending is okay but it kinda felt like there was more after what occurs.
and its
most likely DLC

In Child of Light you couldn't obtain achivements if you weren't playing with the account that purchased the game. Is it the same with Valiant Hearts?

atr0cious

Yes. Every internally-developed Ubi game beginning with AssCreed 2 uses Uplay, with the one and only exception being Rayman Origins.

Ugh. The absence of a Wii U version should've told me not to pursue this game. Is the PS3 version crossbuy? I just want to be able to enjoy the game in the future, and I'm ready to moth ball the PS3.

I still stand by the idea that they chose the single least eventful part of the entire world to set this game, and a setting that has been done to death by World War I standards.

In terms of how much it's been covered, it's the World War I equivalent to D-Day, but D-Day had battleships providing shore bombardment and bombers and fighter planes and so on, so in terms of goings-on happening, it's the equivalent of setting a World War II game in Britain post-radar, when the only real threat to Britain came from the very occasional V2 rocket.

I'm not saying that I have a short attention span and just want action; it's just that as someone who's even marginally interested in World War I, I've seen this setting covered a ridiculous amount, and feel that you could still have uneventful yet tense as well as tear-jerking moments on a front of the war that far fewer people have seen or known about.

To name a few:

There's the convoy system in the Atlantic, where a narrative-focused game could have you play the role of a ship's engine room worker, with no way of knowing whether a torpedo might be approaching, not knowing if a torpedo would hit your compartment first and most likely kill you instantly, or if it will hit further up but still not give you enough time to escape, let alone bearing the knowledge, particularly if you play the role of a crew member aboard a passenger ship, that a torpedo hit to your ship in particular could easily kill dozens, if not hundreds of people.

There's the Alps separating France and Italy to the south of the trenches, where you could have a fairly similar story, but at least mention, if not have a portion of the game revolve around, the battles that had to take place there on skis.

There's the activity in the English Channel and North Sea to the north of where this game takes place, which included, depending on how you define the term, the largest naval battle in human history. There were a lot of crewmen present for the battle, and a lot of stories that can be told if enough research is put into it; both sides caught the other off-guard by just how many ships they had brought along to the battle, and neither side felt like they were doing as well as they could (one British officer in particular remarked, "These seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!").

To the east of where this game takes place, on the opposite side of Germany, there was far more movement happening, and it already seems as though this game might not be remaining true to the actual stagnant nature of trench warfare, so they might as well have chosen a setting to match the activity level that they wanted.

There's also the actions taken in Australia and Africa which are so rarely covered that I hardly even know any of what happened there; even World War I documentaries barely cover it! I would like to see some form of representation for those events, rather than yet more media about the same French-German trenches that most WWI documentaries already tell about in great detail.

Jomjom

Banned
In Child of Light you couldn't obtain achivements if you weren't playing with the account that purchased the game. Is it the same with Valiant Hearts?

Does this include trophies too for the Playstation version? I've never heard this and I have the EU collector's edition on the way to me. I'm planning on playing on my US account.

I still stand by the idea that they chose the single least eventful part of the entire world to set this game, and a setting that has been done to death by World War I standards.

In terms of how much it's been covered, it's the World War I equivalent to D-Day, but D-Day had battleships providing shore bombardment and bombers and fighter planes and so on, so in terms of goings-on happening, it's the equivalent of setting a World War II game in Britain post-radar, when the only real threat to Britain came from the very occasional V2 rocket.

I'm not saying that I have a short attention span and just want action; it's just that as someone who's even marginally interested in World War I, I've seen this setting covered a ridiculous amount, and feel that you could still have uneventful yet tense as well as tear-jerking moments on a front of the war that far fewer people have seen or known about.

To name a few:

There's the convoy system in the Atlantic, where a narrative-focused game could have you play the role of a ship's engine room worker, with no way of knowing whether a torpedo might be approaching, not knowing if a torpedo would hit your compartment first and most likely kill you instantly, or if it will hit further up but still not give you enough time to escape, let alone bearing the knowledge, particularly if you play the role of a crew member aboard a passenger ship, that a torpedo hit to your ship in particular could easily kill dozens, if not hundreds of people.

There's the Alps separating France and Italy to the south of the trenches, where you could have a fairly similar story, but at least mention, if not have a portion of the game revolve around, the battles that had to take place there on skis.

There's the activity in the English Channel and North Sea to the north of where this game takes place, which included, depending on how you define the term, the largest naval battle in human history. There were a lot of crewmen present for the battle, and a lot of stories that can be told if enough research is put into it; both sides caught the other off-guard by just how many ships they had brought along to the battle, and neither side felt like they were doing as well as they could (one British officer in particular remarked, "These seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!").

To the east of where this game takes place, on the opposite side of Germany, there was far more movement happening, and it already seems as though this game might not be remaining true to the actual stagnant nature of trench warfare, so they might as well have chosen a setting to match the activity level that they wanted.

There's also the actions taken in Australia and Africa which are so rarely covered that I hardly even know any of what happened there; even World War I documentaries barely cover it! I would like to see some form of representation for those events, rather than yet more media about the same French-German trenches that most WWI documentaries already tell about in great detail.

well you are saying that the theme (WW1) is already exausted but suggesting that the narrative would be well fitted to WW2??? There are much more text/documentaries/games about WW2 than WW1. Plus this year marks the 100th anniversary of the declaration of the Great War, so I think it better fits.

Tsunamo

Does this include trophies too for the Playstation version? I've never heard this and I have the EU collector's edition on the way to me. I'm planning on playing on my US account.
Trophies are fine. I'm earning ones on the US version playing on my AU account with no issues.

well you are saying that the theme (WW1) is already exausted but suggesting that the narrative would be well fitted to WW2??? There are much more text/documentaries/games about WW2 than WW1. Plus this year marks the 100th anniversary of the declaration of the Great War, so I think it better fits.

That's not what I was saying at all! Not even remotely!

I want to see a WWI game, but one that doesn't take place in the trenches. All of my suggestions were World War I battles: there was much more to World War I than just the French-German trenches. After all, it was a World War.

I prefer World War I over World War II, but the trenches have received far more attention than any other part of that war despite being the least eventful front.

Rixxan

id really appreciate some more non-spoilery impressions on this, thinking about grabbing it tonight and playing with my lady friend

the destructoid review has me excited

purg3

slept with Malkin
id really appreciate some more non-spoilery impressions on this, thinking about grabbing it tonight and playing with my lady friend

the destructoid review has me excited

Not too far in but so far I'm enjoying it very much. The puzzles are pretty rudimentary, but the atmosphere is what is really drawing me in. There are a lot of collectibles hidden throughout the levels too, so that gives incentive to explore and look everywhere. I love the music and style of the game, I'd say go for it.

That's not what I was saying at all! Not even remotely!

I want to see a WWI game, but one that doesn't take place in the trenches. All of my suggestions were World War I battles: there was much more to World War I than just the French-German trenches. After all, it was a World War.

I prefer World War I over World War II, but the trenches have received far more attention than any other part of that war despite being the least eventful front.

my bad, I was reading/posting from my Phone. Apologies made. But of course the trenches would Be the most obvious setting choise, it ressonates with what most peoples knows/remembers about the War.

my bad, I was reading/posting from my Phone. Apologies made. But of course the trenches would Be the most obvious setting choise, it ressonates with what most peoples knows/remembers about the War.

Indeed, but I doubt the developers wanted to go with the familiar/comfortable route here.

And the obviousness of the setting is a pretty big part of why I view it as lackluster!

Mifune

Mehmber
Indeed, but I doubt the developers wanted to go with the familiar/comfortable route here.

And the obviousness of the setting is a pretty big part of why I view it as lackluster!

Well, the setting is the setting. Complaining about it seems really fucking stupid. Sure they could have set it somewhere else but they didn't and the whole game revolves around the setting.

RE_Player

Does anyone think this will be a Child of Light scenario in the sense that after this initial release we'll hear about a Vita version coming in a couple months? I bought Child of Light on PS4 before it was announced for Vita and would have preferred to play it on the go.

reminder

Played it for a few hours and it's a great game so far. Really well made, not only because of its graphics or sound, but also because of all the historical facts! Also the taxi sections were really fun.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Played it for a few hours and it's a great game so far. Really well made, not only because of its graphics or sound, but also because of all the historical facts! Also the taxi sections were really fun.

Just finished the second one, I love how the music goes with it lol.

Mdk7

I just finished the game ~ 30 minutes ago. It's a masterpiece. I learned a ton of stuff from it (cool stuff).

That's what i found really striking, its incredible learning value.
It teaches you something, it entertains you and it makes you think a lot about life and death: the gameplay might be pretty dull, but seriously who cares in this case?

Grisby

Does anyone think this will be a Child of Light scenario in the sense that after this initial release we'll hear about a Vita version coming in a couple months? I bought Child of Light on PS4 before it was announced for Vita and would have preferred to play it on the go.
Probably. It's the same engine and Legends and Col are on it(gonna be anyways).
Just finished the second one, I love how the music goes with it lol.
Very Rayman Legends.

yatesl

Thanks for the heads up about the RU copies. I cancelled by GMG order yesterday because an initial review wasn't that favorable - just waiting to get my credit back - and just bought one for 2 Dota 2 keys (£2).

I doubt it'd be revoked both on Steam and UPlay? And even if it is, I can't see it having much replay value!

P.S. What's veteran mode?

yatesl

Oh, I'll leave it turned off then.

Oh, and if this dog dies at the end, I'm done with gaming. I'm out.
I already choked when it got caught in barbed wire in the third level.

Mannnnn, this game came out today on my Birthday, and I only have 7.80$ left on my card for Steam...Going to see what cards I have to sell. I can't believe I forgot about this.

Enco

50 minutes in and loving it.

Dat music. Dat art style. Dat story.

So good. I hope i'll get at least 6 hours out of it.

Sober

Stopped right at the end of chapter 2 for now. Will probably pick it up again a little later tonight.

I'm also not one to usually take screenshots while playing but by the end of those two chapters I had like 3 gigs worth of .bmps taken.

Grisby

Stopped right at the end of chapter 2 for now. Will probably pick it up again a little later tonight.

I'm also not one to usually take screenshots while playing but by the end of those two chapters I had like 3 gigs worth of .bmps taken.
I do love me some UbiArt engine.

Yuterald

I'm up to part 4 of Chapter 1. Game's pretty cool. Love the little dog buddy and some of the music is great. Puzzles are definitely "baby's first adventure game", but it hasn't taken away from my enjoyment of this game so far. Liking this WAY more than Child of Light too (which I was extremely disappointed by).

Only thing that's bugging me about this game (aside from the sponsored Apocalypse stamp on the historical facts page...barf) is the fact that the dog warps to your side during various segments. I know it's a video game and everything, but it's really weird feeling/looking when it happens and it breaks the adventure-game immersion. I would have much preferred to have a command, say when the dog was above a ladder/pit that you fell down, to call the dog to jump down and instead catch him. Not only would it have created an even stronger bond between the player and the pup, but it would have also alleviated those potential immersion-breaking moments. Oh well.

wouwie

I played a little bit of the game and enjoyed it a lot. It looks very nice and original, it has a great soundtrack and it seems interesting story and setting wise.

I'm looking forward to playing more tomorrow. A big thumb up to the developers for making such a game.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm having an issue with the screen is getting cut off
First check if your TV is set to native instead of some "Cinema" or "Zoomed" in state. Otherwise: What platform?

If it's PS4, there is a system wide method of adjusting this and games are encouraged to use that method instead of doing it per-game.

It's: Settings -> Sound and Screen -> Display Area Size

hohoXD123

So looking forward to playing this. Trailers looked amazing and impressions seem to be pretty positive so far.

Mannnnn, this game came out today on my Birthday, and I only have 7.80$ left on my card for Steam...Going to see what cards I have to sell. I can't believe I forgot about this.

Get a couple of TF2 keys and trade for it, works out much cheaper.

First check if your TV is set to native instead of some "Cinema" or "Zoomed" in state. Otherwise: What platform?

If it's PS4, there is a system wide method of adjusting this and games are encouraged to use that method instead of doing it per-game.

It's: Settings -> Sound and Screen -> Display Area Size

PC m8

Sorry I should have said

I guess they weren't kidding when Ubisoft said the game was built with an episodic release mindset. I'm just happy to see the game has nice endpoints, think I'll play a chapter every night or two.

Downloading now! Hopefully my girlfriend will enjoy playing it with me.

She likes Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us, hoping this appeals to her in the same way.

Ive only gotten to chapter 2 but oh man! I love everything about this game. The story, music, and art style, so good!

But I cant stress this enough, if you have NVIDIA's 3D Vision and a capable 3D TV/monitor you NEED to play this game in 3D. Even though it says unsupported the 3D is freaking amazing. The depth perception in the background layers and the popping foreground, god it looks so good!

DO IT!

Ben-Stiller-Do-It-Starsky-and-Hutch.gif

Just beat the game. Buy this. It's awesome and it is not set only in the trenches. Whoever is saying that has not played the game. The music is great and I really enjoyed the historical facts that you can access from the menu. The gameplay is simple but the story is good and you really get to know the characters. I have all trophies except 2. You can go back after the game and obtain the collectibles if you want to. The collectibles are artifacts from that time period--there's even 3 that were donated by someone's family who fought who was from NZ.

Happy Birthday! Check your PM.

First of all, I like to thank you once again for the awesome birthday gift. I did two chapters so far while friends were over. They were amaze with the visuals and narrative of the game. They even ask if it was only on PC, and told them is on consoles as well, while the rest ask if it was on iOS....I got you my dude. The people that know me on GAF know I'm a good dude, I got you my ninja. Thank you once again.

The game doesn't support 5.1 sound on PC? It worked automatically in Child of Light which used the same engine so I'm confused why it's not working here.

CoolZombie

I got it on Bone last night and played about an hour so far.

Absolutely loved it, beautiful visuals, very atmospheric with the music, love the way the characters communicate with each other without using speech yet you can clearly tell what's going on.

The puzzles are quite basic but it certainly doesn't take away from the experience. I would recommend it to anyone, I think im gonna go and play it some more!

Top Bottom