• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valiant Hearts: The Great War |OT| Some made it, some did not.

Yuterald

Am I like the only one that is super bothered by the fact that the dog just warps around to your side after completing various segments/scenarios? I just did this underground trench area with pipes and gas and shit in Chapter 1. My main guy made it back to the surface, but the dog was still down below...yet the little pup somehow made his way back to my side. How did he get out of that cave below? lol

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Am I like the only one that is super bothered by the fact that the dog just warps around to your side after completing various segments/scenarios? I just did this underground trench area with pipes and gas and shit in Chapter 1. My main guy made it back to the surface, but the dog was still down below...yet the little pup somehow made his way back to my side. How did he get out of that cave below? lol
As far as I could tell there were dog-sized spots in the background that he could go through to any place that he was needed.

Sometimes he warped and other times he didn't warp and had to tell him to go there so he follows me down below and having to backtrack because you forgot the dog was quite annoying.

Overall I didn't' think that was an issue, especially not in the reality breaking direction but rather in the direction where he didn't warp.

GavinUK86

3/4 of the game didn't really make me feel anything at all. The quirkiness of the look of the game bundled with the Rayman-esque light hearted feel, I felt, worked against the serious emotion it was trying to portray.

BUT...
that ending. God dammit that ending. From the moment Karl woke up and saw his boy onwards, I was sat in a pool of my own manly tears.

People say it's short but it took me 10 hours. I recorded it all so I have a pretty spot on time frame.

Angouri

Neo Member
This may be the best thing I've played all year. They manage to make the characters all feel rich and unique, and gradual doom and gloom that sets in through the game makes it so emotional when that ending rolls around. And that ending... I sobbed. They somehow were able to juxtapose the cancan with gassing whole cities. Brilliant.

see5harp

Finished this yesterday. I loved the historical stuff and the piano music. The story was well executed for the most part and the setting was pretty unique for an adventure game. I really thought some of the non puzzle sequences became tedious after a while. The tank sequence was also just really long and unchallenging. The puzzles themselves, nearly never clever. I realize that the main aim of the game seems to be telling the story so it may be unfair to judge as a pure puzzle or adventure game. Overall, I'm happy I played it. I'm also happy that I used free live points.

EDIT: also I'm pretty sure this game is 2.0 stereo, which was also the case with Rayman. I don't know if that's an engine limitation, but it's pretty annoying.

wouwie

I just finished the game. I wasn't expecting to be this touched by the ending since i felt somewhat indifferent towards the characters until the very end. But that ending and the way it was told....

Valiant Hearts is certainly one of the more memorable games i have played. It's quite original, unique and fresh. It has a striking and original visual design and a fantastic soundtrack that matches the game perfectly (i hope it becomes available for sale). Likewise, the sound effects and voice acting was great and the game felt polished. The game length was perfect.

I'm still not sure if the comic book style was the best way to portray a war story. In my case, i felt it created a distance between me on one side and the characters and story on the other side. It made me feel like i was playing a light adventure game instead of going through a story about people in a war. It's only at the very end of the game that i became emotionally invested in the characters.

The gameplay was very light and was definately intended as a means to tell a story. It felt as if i was always solving the same very light puzzles and doing the same intermediate action sequences. Since the puzzles were so easy, i never felt the satisfaction of solving a good puzzle. But it is clear that this wasn't the main purpose of this game anyway.

That may sound negative but i appreciated the game for what it was. On the whole, i thought it was a great experience that will stay in my memory (and end up in my GOTY list). Much respect to Ubisoft Montpellier (one of my favourite game studios) for making this game. I can't imagine sales will be great but i would love to see something similar being made in the future.

Necrovex

Started playing through this, and all I want to do is continue playing it. I am already attached to some of the characters. Hell, I'm only an hour in, and I'm loving it. I recommend anyone who enjoyed the game's setting to listen to Hardcore History. The host is producing series of episodes focusing on The Great War.

I am excited to play some more of Valiant Hearts tomorrow after work.

KaYotiX

Banned
Just finished it, beat it in 2 days that's how much it grabbed me. LOVED IT!!!

also the feels man.........the feels

mattp

god damn, that ending
please ubisoft, if you're gonna continue to make assassin's creed and watch dogs yearly games, use the profits to fund ubi montpellier projects like this more often

sjay1994

The more I think about it, the more I feel like this is one of the best endings I have seen in a video game.

Most of the time endings leave me cold or indifferent especially since most games now try to tell stories and try to attach you to its characters.

Most games haven't been doing a great job with this.

But valiant hearts. God damn. This ending really got me.

MacNille

Banned
One thing that is weird for me, is that the Germans are shown still using pickelhabeun in 1917. They would be using stahlehelmet at that time.

KooopaKid

Banned
Played this for around 3 hours last night. I'm probably half-way through. It's not exactly what I was expecting from the demo. It's way more light-hearted and video-gamey than I thought. Don't know how to exactly put it but the game is very "mechanical" in its gameplay. I'm just going through the motions to see the next story bit which is not that interesting so far, I mean it's only about
chasing the cliche bad guy around
. For a game about WWI that's disappointing and way too cartoonish. I would have preferred something a lot more closer to the facts. The hidden objects you pick-up don't have really interesting historical tidbits. The healing mini-game is okay the first time but becomes just a simple rythm game the second time and loose its emotional impact. Here it's quite clear the game should have gone in a grittier direction. You can't use humor and be serious at the same time when talking about war I think. It doesn't work.

lewisc29

Neo Member
I'm really enjoying the game so far, but there's one problem.

In the part where you driving the car and avoiding the bombings
I get stuck in the animation and I am constantly driving away.

I've tried reloading from the checkpoint and even dying, is there anyway to sort this?

Edit: Quit the game fully and restarted and it seems to have sorted it.

jamesjmorton

Neo Member
I'm really enjoying the game so far, but there's one problem.

In the part where you driving the car and avoiding the bombings
I get stuck in the animation and I am constantly driving away.

I've tried reloading from the checkpoint and even dying, is there anyway to sort this?

Which chapter are you on?

One of them you have to do certain actions or it will go on forever!

Jinaar

Just finished it. So many wet feels :(

Anyways. This is not a spoiler but a beautiful touch (I do not know if anyone else mentioned it yet in this thread) I thought...

Innocent characters have eyes portrayed:
- Emile's son
- The dog
- Freddie's brother at home
- Freddit during his wedding

All characters in the war have their eyes covered.

Amazing art direction. This game was amazing. I hope they do
WWII

AHA-Lambda

Played this for around 3 hours last night. I'm probably half-way through. It's not exactly what I was expecting from the demo. It's way more light-hearted and video-gamey than I thought. Don't know how to exactly put it but the game is very "mechanical" in its gameplay. I'm just going through the motions to see the next story bit which is not that interesting so far, I mean it's only about
chasing the cliche bad guy around
. For a game about WWI that's disappointing and way too cartoonish. I would have preferred something a lot more closer to the facts. The hidden objects you pick-up don't have really interesting historical tidbits. The healing mini-game is okay the first time but becomes just a simple rythm game the second time and loose its emotional impact. Here it's quite clear the game should have gone in a grittier direction. You can't use humor and be serious at the same time when talking about war I think. It doesn't work.

I'm feeling similar.

The gameplay is more, as you say, mechanical than I expected and has gotten old already and I'm about half way through.

And yes, the story has already dropped quite a ways, I can't take it seriously chasing this Baron who just comes off as a Saturday morning cartoon villain.

L1NETT

Just finished it , thought it was generally absorbing, mostly nicely written and well paced.

The visuals in particular were stunning, the
POW escape Level, The Offensive Level and the Ending
in particular. Jaw droppingly good, the Ubi art engine is a great tool. Some issues when close ups were shown however.

Unfortunately, the whole Baron storyline and the
boss battle with the stupid robot car thing
very nearly spoiled it. Firstly takes the player out of it, feels bloaty and too cartoonish in a game with some really depressing segments. All for some gallows humour but parts of it felt very out of place.

A game like this doesn't need "video gamey" segments like this. When it focuses on the horrors of WW1 it is downright amazing but the tone wobbles during too many sections.

But when this game gets it right. By fucking god it's brilliant.

Recommend it highly. And credit to Ubi for making a game like this.

Strider

Wow. I was on Chapter 4, probably had 20 minutes or so left in the game and the game crashes. Load up the game again (this is the PS4 version) and my save file is corrupted.

Guess I'll just go watch the ending on youtube...

daveo42

Banned
Finished this up last night. Really liked the blend of historical and fictional. The story was actually really good along with the different gameplay elements going on. Chapter 4 on hit really hard at some points, though I was surprised by
getting teary eyed during Anna's healing montage early in the game and the info on the women of the war. Same with Freddie's wife...that journal entry...

It was a nice short romp that look spectacular and was well worth the play. Only a few minor issues, including issues with performing some actions in one or two sections where the option was there and the
rushed digging section
in the last chapter. That 2nd one was more annoying than anything else.

I really hope we get more games like this. I would like to see something in the same line with WWII or any other wars that I'm not overly familiar with.

Lkr

Is it worth $15 is my only question for you guys. I already know it's a game right up my avenue. No replay value as well I'm guessing btw?

Sendou

Is it worth $15 is my only question for you guys. I already know it's a game right up my avenue. No replay value as well I'm guessing btw?

Yeah it's worth $15 if you like games where the actual meat is the story, world and characters. Gameplay is average. Little replay value other than going for collectables and hunting achievements (they're all rather easy though). Here's my full review (ignore uPlay complaints if you're playing it on a console). I really liked it.

Corpekata

Banned
No replay value beyond collecting all the doodads they scattered. You're probably looking at 6-7 hours total. 2-3 bucks an hour is easily within my buy range personally.

sjay1994

There are worse things you can spend 15 bucks on....

This isn't one of them. Definitely worth it.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Finished the game and got the 1000/1000 on it. Absolutely one of my favorite games this year. Dat ending. I would love to see this franchise continue. I think this game qualifies as a a must play for anyone.

BBboy20

Are all versions fine? Been looking on getting the PC version since it's an adventure game but I wonder how other people feel about whatever version they got.

eXistor

Are all versions fine? Been looking on getting the PC version since it's an adventure game but I wonder how other people feel about whatever version they got.
PS4 version myself. Flawless performance, no problems whatsoever. I will say I noticed slowdown once in a screen where a ton a shit was happening for like a second, but really, it's hardly worth mentioning.

Renpatsu

For those who mentioned the seemingly inconsistent tone of the game I think it's absolutely integral to the message of the game that for every 'win' we experience during the narrative (be it the taxi sequences, Baron battles, etc) the overarching tide of the war itself doesn't work out in anyone's favour and leads into the ending of the game. Which is not to say it was all meaningless, but that those small wins don't compare to the great losses suffered.

Of course I suppose this is just opinion and all that. The game wasn't perfect, but it was important to the game that we experience humour and joy (whether that was in a comic fashion or down to earth) for the serious moments to have greater impact.

pakkit

Banned
For those who mentioned the seemingly inconsistent tone of the game I think it's absolutely integral to the message of the game that for every 'win' we experience during the narrative (be it the taxi sequences, Baron battles, etc) the overarching tide of the war itself doesn't work out in anyone's favour and leads into the ending of the game. Which is not to say it was all meaningless, but that those small wins don't compare to the great losses suffered.

Of course I suppose this is just opinion and all that. The game wasn't perfect, but it was important to the game that we experience humour and joy (whether that was in a comic fashion or down to earth) for the serious moments to have greater impact.

I agree whole-heartedly. If this game was emotionally somber, down in the rut (trenches?) the whole way through, the frankly ludicrous logic required for puzzle games would have stood out starkly against the narrative. Instead, the developers have injected plenty of playful humor and Saturday Morning Cartoon drama into the game, that allows the player to more easily accept the game mechanics. Personally, the musical/driving sequences were a standout. Montpellier did a great job marrying gameplay to music in the Rayman games, and they've carried that knowledge with them in Valiant Hearts. The scenes have a Disney-esque quality to it, where action and song are merged to capture the artfulness of musicals.

This hopeful joy is, of course, contrast with the grim reality of war. The historical facts contained in the game are, by and large, heart wrenching. Similar to Art Spiegelman's
graphic novel MAUS, the artstyle and the rays of levity are interspersed with brutal death. I think the game could have gone further with the contrast, but by and large Montpellier restrains themselves until the final act, a decision which can make the first 3 Acts feel a little too much like a chicken chase.

In the end though, Montpellier gets it right. UbiArts is one of the best recent developments in videogames, and I really hope we see more of this smaller budget creativity. This game, alongside Brothers and The Walking Dead, makes a case for videogames as a strong medium for interpersonal drama.

This game is damn good. I want more adventure games like this that are focused on specific situations instead of collecting inventory and clicking everywhere.

megalowho

In the middle of Chapter 2 and I'm loving this. The artwork is beautiful, the cast is likeable, the scenarios are interesting and I appreciate the sustained focus on education and historical context. Don't want to miss a collectible because I want more nuggets of trivia. Did not expect a 2D adventure game as the meat of the gameplay, reminds me of The Cave but with tighter puzzle design - less backtracking and item juggling. Keeps things moving, pace hasn't bogged down yet due to puzzle frustration.

So far the tone has been one of my favorite things about the game, incorporating romanticised notions of wartime adventure at the turn of the century against the harsh realities of global conflict. It detaches the player enough from the horrors to justify lever puzzles but still lays it all out there for you to internalize.
Striking up the band amongst boozy soldiers, bombs dropping on beat to classical music, a pipe organ boss battle
, these are great ideas that they wouldn't be able to get away with if the game went too heavy too often. Might not feel the same by the end but so far I'm a fan.

megalowho

Double post. Screenshots!

iwX7IDRvxhLHU.jpg
ibc8Bmocs4aGEY.jpg
iHtvlENVztueD.jpg

wouwie

The soundtrack is available on iTunes.

Also, after finishing the game and thinking about it for some time, i'm starting to realise how much i loved this game. It really is a memorable experience.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This game is an unplayable mess on PS4. It makes the Lego games look bug-free.
I'm only at the first car part and I've already had to quit out of the game at least ten times, four on this little segment alone.
I'll be back if they patch it.

Kadayi

Banned
Enjoying it, but fuck the medical treatment mini-games. Resetting to the beginning of a three stage sequence on a fail is lame.

Ventara

Enjoying it, but fuck the medical treatment mini-games. Resetting to the beginning of a three stage sequence on a fail is lame.

I'm assuming you're hitting the "notes" too soon? It tripped me up at first, too, but once I realized I was supposed to hit them a little after they pass the mark, they became easy as pie.

Anyways, I'm almost at the end of chapter 3. Will probably finish tonight and post me (positive) impressions. Really enjoying it so far.

Top Bottom