• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valiant Hearts: The Great War |OT| Some made it, some did not.

MacNille

Banned
So I just got done with it. Really awesome game.
So hard to hold back all the feels
This was me afterwards:
giphy.gif

Spada

Neo Member
I just finished the game, I loved it.

The game was fun from start to finish and the presentation is nothing short of excellence.
The story shade light on a dark period of human history by not focusing so much in the conflict as much as the people and their stories as they are dragged into this war without knowing really why they have to go through all of this. I enjoyed the game thoroughly.

This was me afterwards:
giphy.gif
The feels T^T

Hawkie

Not finished yet but suffered two glitches in CH1; one with a ramp and the other in the mud. Could only be resolved with quitting the game and reloading.

UbiArt Framework engine has done it again! From Rayman Legends to Child of Light and now Valiant Hearts: The Great War. This game looks incredible and if you have NVIDIA's 3DVision I highly recommend using it. The depth perception in the background to the foreground popping out, it really makes this game visual art style stand out. And who would of thought World War 1 would tug away at the heart strings. The story mixed with amazing music makes you experience "hardcore feels". This game is amazing and Ubisoft needs to release an OST. STAT!

Question to those who have beaten the game...

If you go to the chapter select menu in chapter 4 you never see 1918 highlighted in blue. Did I miss something?

see5harp

Not finished yet but suffered two glitches in CH1; one with a ramp and the other in the mud. Could only be resolved with quitting the game and reloading.

I've only had one buggy section. Somehow I got under the map and was actually able to walk left and right.

someone please explain how this game plays?

Mostly it's like a side scrolling adventure game. It's nothing even a flash game couldn't do, but there's a lot of really great music, cool historical facts, good voice acting with what I've played so far. I'm enjoying it a lot more than Stick It To The Man if that's a fair comparison.

Squishy3

fuck that goddamn ending fuck you ubi make me cry you pieces of shit

i lost it as soon as the dog showed up ;_;

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Just finished it. Fantastic game. Must play for anyone.

The only critique I have is that I think some of the action sequences were a bit trial and error if you didn't pay much attention to every little cue which is a mode you find yourself in when the rest of the game is quite easy.

El Odio

Banned
Finished it earlier today and goddamn that ending. I didn't cry but it got me seriously misty eye'd and choked up.
I read all the historical facts at the start of every level so I didn't want to believe Emile would be executed and thought he was going to be spared when he left the grounds of the prison but then when everyone started saluting him...
On the topic of bugs the only game breaking one I had was (Late chapter spoilers)
in the Baron tank fight in the fort. When the finishing cutscene was supposed to start up it just zoomed in on the Baron and looped him laughing, had to restart the game.
Great experience and fantastic music all around. I actually learned quite a bit from playing.

Sober

Wow, that was a powerful game. I definitely choked up at the end.

Unfortunately, I had a few bugs during my play-through that required level reboots, mostly dealing with the dog being spawned behind obstacles and such. And I think a few cut-scenes glitched out. For anyone who watched the credits,
what was that bit with Freddie getting on the ship? The narrator glitched out for me, so all I had was dramatic music. Foreshadowing DLC or what?

Re: the mid-credit scene:

it's a bunch of battleships and the narrator said something along the lines of "the war was not over; it's appetite was infinite".
. I don't think it's alluding to DLC or anything, I think it was there to literally kick you while you were down (and to reinforce the fact war is shit and takes its toll).

Also
it seems like Emile was executed around 1917, seeing as the Nivelle Offensive was May 1917, so it hadn't been November 11, 1918 yet. But trying to tack on extra story would literally spoiler the ending and the game they had as-is.

edit: I literally took 542 screenshots, that is 3 gigs of BMPs. Gonna sort through em later.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
A hundred years since that Great War. And we didn't seem to learn much of it. Sad.

malcher

I don't know it this was already reported, but suddenly the achievements on my Xbox One have Polish names and descriptions (see the image, small spoiler for the first 4 attainable achievements if you understand Polish :). On Thursday morning they were in English.

My console is set to English language with UK location and XBL account also registered to UK. I live in Poland, so using Polish IP. Anyone else with achievements in language not supported so far on Xbox One?

ytxmW16.jpg

Corpekata

Banned
Ubi kinda mishandled the marketing for this game. I was expecting it to be a lot more somber. But a huge chunk of the game is just pretty much action adventure type of shenanigans.

Great game though. Shame it's likely to go unnoticed give the way Ubi handled things. They should've been pushing this over Child of Light.

Can someone confirm me if in the Xbox One version, I can earn achivement by playing with an account that didn't purchase the game.
Thanks

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
while i'm enjoying the game quite a bit, i do wish that it did a better job of portraying the war in a realistic fashion. the way the game started and how it seems to be heading are two different things. in the beginning, it seemed to recreate real experiences these people went through, however the further i get the more video gamey everything feels, what with the "boss encounters, and comic escapes. it all definitely takes it down a notch and seems to have been a missed opportunity.

i too have ran into a few glitches, mainly with the dog just up and disappearing until i restart.

Started and finished it this morning. I really enjoyed it although surprisingly it wasn't quite as sad as I thought it would be. It definitely had its moments but I went in expecting to fight back tears and that never ended up happening.

Regardless, I don't really have anything negative to say about Valiant Hearts. I'd fully recommend it to anyone that enjoys adventure games with (simplistic) puzzle solving and lots of collectibles. Hopefully it does well because after Valiant Hearts and Child of Light I'd love to see Ubisoft greenlight more of these smaller downloadable titles.

Sendou

Is it bad I want to play this game for the dog?

That's a good thing actually. The dog in this game is awesome. I really loved what they did with that character (indeed I feel it's a character not just any dog).

So I just finished the game and wrote a small review for Steam:

RECOMMENDED

Shortly put it's very easy to recommend Valiant Hearts. The basic gameplay reminds me of The Cave in the sense that it shares a lot with the logic behind traditional adventure games while mixing in 2D movement, puzzles and even some action. Gameplay isn't why I would recommend this title. It's simply passable meaning it's not the best in the genre but it won't annoy you. Puzzles in this game aren't really hard at all. Some action scenes and even a few classical music levels where you dodge bombs and other obstacles appearing in rhythm with the composition (they reminded me a bit of the music levels in Rayman Legends) act as good pallet cleaners.

Where this game really shines is everything else but gameplay. Main draw is obviously the presentation. It's as beautiful as you could expect if you have followed Ubisoft's UbiArt Framework games (Rayman Origins, Rayman Legends and Child of Light). You may look at the screenshots wondering if it really looks as good in motion and indeed that is case. Actually that comic book artstyle in motion really makes this game what it is. It's just hard to find anything bad to say about the presentation of this title. Some very minor problems present themselves when the game combines 2D art with 3D environment but it is not nearly enough to draw you out of the experience. Music fits perfectly the overall mood of the game and the OST is up there with the other great soundtracks.

Ubisoft has managed to create a very powerful story with Valiant Hearts. First of all it is about World War 1 that is very a very underrepresented scenario in video games. That is just the surface though. The really special part of this game is how it treats this period of time. Some of the themes the game is all about are something you just aren't expecting to see in video games. It's hard to go too much into detail without spoiling it all but one of these subjects is war's effect in civilians. This is just one of the many examples I could provide. Ubisoft Montpellier managed to put a lot of substance under the beautiful coat of paint.

The cast of characters in this game is quite diverse. As a main characters there is a war dog, belgian veterinarian now acting as a war nurse, American man fighting as a volunteer in the war, older french and younger german (which is a son-in-law of the french man) drafted to fight in the war on different sides. All of the characters are very believable with different things motivating them. You grow quite fond of the cast while going through the story. The story is mainly told through narration and diaries. The character interaction consists mainly of symbols which actually works very well.

I have to give extra mention to the amount of WW1 trivia they managed to get into the game. It's all optional but if that kind of thing interests you then I think you will be like me and read everything available to you. You shouldn't underestimate the value these bring to the game. They bring the game alive. Attaching small facts about the war-time life during WW1 to the collectables makes collecting them feel worthwhile.

The game featured a few small but still unfortunate bugs. It's just not acceptable to have game-breaking bugs in the game as short and limited as this. Especially considering the powerhouse publisher behind it. On two occasions I was forced to restart the chapter. The checkpoint system is rather baffling. There are too many places where checkpoints are situated so that after a quick death you are forced to go through some monotonous tasks before getting to the point where you died again. In a game where the challenge is more about figuring out what to do rather than the execution the checkpoints should be far closer to each other.

This game features Ubisoft's in-house DRM solution called Uplay. It brings no value to the table whatsoever. Uplay is a funny thing because usually it's in the background and you don't mind it at all but that's just when it works. When it doesn't work it quite literally can stop you from playing the game. Some of the common issues people (me included) have had with Uplay in the past include disappearing save files and various problems when Ubisoft's puny servers are down (common with a new game release or Steam sale). There is just no reason to use Uplay while neglecting the far superior Steamworks. At best it's just another program you have to run in background.

The Good
Presentation
Story

The Bad
Few minor bugs
Checkpoint placement

The Ugly
Uplay

Valiants Hearts is a beautiful story I can recommend to everyone. I feel it's especially crucial for people that think the history and WW1 as a scenario for video game is interesting. It is as essential for people that like to play video games where the main draw is a really good story.

Very nice game. Pleasantly surprised all around.

Enco

while i'm enjoying the game quite a bit, i do wish that it did a better job of portraying the war in a realistic fashion. the way the game started and how it seems to be heading are two different things. in the beginning, it seemed to recreate real experiences these people went through, however the further i get the more video gamey everything feels, what with the "boss encounters, and comic escapes. it all definitely takes it down a notch and seems to have been a missed opportunity.

i too have ran into a few glitches, mainly with the dog just up and disappearing until i restart.
Agreed.

Just got to chapter 2 and things are getting sillier.

Kinda sucks because I was looking forward to a realistic and deep war game. Doesn't look like I'm going to get that.

It's very arcadey. Still a good game though.

Holy hell.

Just beat the game, been playing a little bit each day since release.

Really, really enjoyed it. I loved all the historical facts, I tend to think of myself as someone who's interested in history, but I've always thought WWI was "boring" compared to everything else, so a lot of this was great information to learn. The puzzles were difficult enough to usually make you think, without becoming frustrating.

That ending. Oh, man.
Once I got the achievement "Some will survive..." I knew something bad was coming. The music, the voice over, and the slow walk to the end was perfect though, incredibly sad but that made it all the more powerful. I'll admit I wept great big manly tears through the whole sequence.

I'd give it a solid 9/10, would enjoy DLC covering the end of the war/Russian Front. I'd like to see them do a similar story in WWII as well.

Rixxan

Beautiful game with an important message, even though the gameplay was essentially what you might find in a competent flash game it was still well wrought and not without an occasional impressive moment.

Really enjoyed the educational aspect of the title and like others are saying the ending was powerful, feels everywhere

Well done to the studio, bravo

Rixxan

For a first time player, should I play with Veteran Mode on or off?

In my opinion this game is about the message, characters, and wartime themes. It's gameplay systems are not comprehensive enough or founded with challenge as a pillar of its design, thus I feel veteran mode would be unwarranted for a first time playthough

Lima

I don't know it this was already reported, but suddenly the achievements on my Xbox One have Polish names and descriptions (see the image, small spoiler for the first 4 attainable achievements if you understand Polish :). On Thursday morning they were in English.

My console is set to English language with UK location and XBL account also registered to UK. I live in Poland, so using Polish IP. Anyone else with achievements in language not supported so far on Xbox One?

When you created the MS account did you set your region as Poland? The Xbox One is basing some things on your account region like achievements but only for certain games. The whole thing is a mess just like it was on 360.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'd think that the fact that they went silly in the story was because they were probably afraid people would lose interest in the game. I did find it a shame, but it didn't really bother me much.

I do hope that for the next game they go for a more realistic approach. Some things in WWII are already ridiculous. Shit now that I think about it, they can do a lot with a WWII setting. Hope they're able to exploit the setting fully.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The part where
you're driving the car and avoiding the luftwaffe bombs
was intense. Super cool game so far.

I'd think that the fact that they went silly in the story was because they were probably afraid people would lose interest in the game. I did find it a shame, but it didn't really bother me much.

I do hope that for the next game they go for a more realistic approach. Some things in WWII are already ridiculous. Shit now that I think about it, they can do a lot with a WWII setting. Hope they're able to exploit the setting fully.

I felt the humor and boss battles were a way to inject some 'gaminess' into an otherwise bleak setting. I think if they would have played the entire thing straight it wouldn't have worked
(Why doesn't my character ever use a gun!?)
as well.

It also felt like the silly stuff hit its peak 2/3rds of the way through and the rest was pretty emotional.

Squishy3

The humor kind of reminds me of something like The Triplets of Belleville. It has its place and the really emotional parts wouldn't be as devastating without it. Plus I love how classic cheesy bad guy Baron Von Dorf is.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I felt the humor and boss battles were a way to inject some 'gaminess' into an otherwise bleak setting. I think if they would have played the entire thing straight it wouldn't have worked
(Why doesn't my character ever use a gun!?)
as well.

It also felt like the silly stuff hit its peak 2/3rds of the way through and the rest was pretty emotional.

I think the silliness is also played with the art style. Heck, you could see cute military pigeons in Paris!

Cess007

Finished today. Powerful ending.

I did find my share of bugs and glitches, but overall i think the game is great. The best part was
Anna taxi scene, the music and everything made me laugh
. Ubisoft really made a great game and i hope the sales are good, the game deserves it.

BTW, about the ending:
I was so sure they were gonna kill the dog. I was so happy to know the dog survived!

Edit. Also, dat Emil monologue!

Yeah there was a spot where I gave the dog something, and then talked to somebody, but you need to give it to them.. but it wouldn't let me get it back from the dog. I had to quit and reload, but the save checkpoints are so well done it didn't cause any issues.

Otherwise I had a pretty bug-free walk through.

This game totally came out of nowhere for me, I had heard something about it some months back, but was initially disappointed when I heard it was going to be a 2D puzzle game. Glad I got over myself and bought it.

That E3 trailer man, especially after beating it.. the FEELS.

Cess007

Btw, after watching the Announcement trailer again. What happened to George? He features heavily in the trailer but he's not playable in the final game :/

Btw, after watching the Announcement trailer again. What happened to George? He features heavily in the trailer but he's not playable in the final game :/

Yeah I don't know, he only showed up in one mission that I remember. Could have been missions that got cut? I guess could be in DLC if they made it, since the war isn't over yet.

Corpekata

Banned

I'd say it's probably a good thing. There's another character / subplot I was a little bit disappointed by that felt a bit lighter on content / development compared to the others so I think they may have struggled fitting things together.

Renpatsu

I'd say it's probably a good thing. There's another character / subplot I was a little bit disappointed by that felt a bit lighter on content / development compared to the others so I think they may have struggled fitting things together.
I'd agree with that sentiment. Even coming out liking the game near the end there I could feel the struggle Ubisoft had threading everything back together for the ending. It left the climactic chapter somewhat hastily executed in comparison to the beginning of the game.

eXistor

Just finished it. I thought the game overall was very very good. I loved the puzzles, even if it was all pretty straightforward (I'm glad I played on Veteran mode, I can only imagine how easy it must've been without it). The music fits well and it ended before it could get too repetitive. Outside of perhaps one or two moments I have to say I don't think the game left much of an emotional impact, they really could have done more in that regard. For me, the animations lacked nuance and in important scenes it kinda takes you out of the moment a little too much when you see the same canned animations for cutscenes as for random events. I'm sure they were working under some restrictions though, but it's a shame.

Overall great game, very worth my time.

I heard from a few people online that the game really messes with some historic realities regarding the role of the Germans which kinda makes me not want to buy it. Input?

Corpekata

Banned
Full thoughts I posted on another forum that I thought might be useful here since I think this game is really having trouble communicating just what it is. Or rather, Ubisoft is having trouble with it:

The game has been a bit mishandled. It was announced around the same time as Child of Light but did not get near the marketing push that game did. It also was advertised as being this very somber tale about the gruesome realities of war. But that's really not the case. Quite a large chunk of the game is sort of action adventureish. I might even dare use words like "caper." There's even a few comedy segments. The game is sad when it gets down to it, but if you're looking for a game that maybe does more than lecture you on the horrors of war, this might be it.

Anyways, gameplay was never really shown much for this game. It'd say it's a bit of a blend of genres. 3 are most prominent though, and each level tends to devote itself to one or the other. 1st is the adventure genre. These are typical "You need Item X, but it's guarded by Person Y that wants Item A which is guarded by Person Z that wants item B," sort of things so that you end up helping every asshole you come across in order to get a measly pair of bolt cutters. These levels tend to be either for character introductions or as pace breakers. 2nd are puzzle levels. These tend to be the biggest chunk of the game. You're often navigating large environments and trying to figure out how to alter the environment so you or NPCs you're in charge of can progress in the level. Lot of valve turning and sending your dog to go fetch items in these levels. They also often have some stealth elements, where you'll need to avoid patrols or distract guards. 3rd are more arcade / action stuff. Usually in the middle of a big battle and dodging incoming bombs and constantly running. Some of them have what could even be described as boss battles. They tend to get mixed up so you won't get too tired of one or the other. It's pretty well paced overall.

Game is pretty easy overall. It's probably a bit more "game like" than say, Telltale's recent output, but most of the adventure elements are about the same difficulty, so expect more of a console "adventure" game than an old school PC one. There is one pretty big moon logic puzzle though toward the end. Puzzles seem to me to have never really been one of Ubisoft's strong suits, and it's largely continued here. But it's overall pretty fun, just not going to stump most people.

The game is told through the eyes of 4 characters and you'll switch between them a lot. Usually you'll have the dog with you too. The art style is a bit weird at times. Very comic bookish, but more art comic book than superhero. It sort of reminds me a bit of Terry Gilliam's It's generally gorgeous. There's no real dialogue in levels, it's all very basic stuff like names or basic emotes (the cast is varied in language so I think this mostly works versus everyone speaking English or subtitling 3/4 of the game). In between levels there's actual dialogue. It largely works well but a couple characters end up a little short changed in the character development side. One of the 4 in particular doesn't have near the importance to the story or even a compelling character arc and honestly feels like could've been cut without changing much. The music in this is great and used very well. One of my favorite moments is a car chase set to the Can Can. There's a load of well used classics as well as originals.

Anyways, the game is relatively short. Ubi for whatever reason tried to pad the length out with a bunch of collectibles scattered through every level which don't have a ton of relevance. I honestly kinda just decided to ignore them after a while, as I thought they kinda detracted from things. Seems to be a sort of current trend with some story heavy games where they don't seem to think they can hold your attention so they just vomit doodads to collect every 10 feet (recently Murdered Soul Suspect was awful about this too). But even if you try for 100 percent I'd wager you're looking at a 7 hour game tops, if that bothers you. But I think it was very well paced and ends pretty perfectly.

Honestly I'm a bit flabbergasted that Ubi pimped Child of Light over this. I think Valiant Hearts will have more staying power than CoL, which is a game I enjoyed, but largely for the battle system. Overall, get it, it's good. Just don't expect it to make you cry every 5 minutes. But it does pack a wallop when it needs to.

Top Bottom