• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valiant Hearts: The Great War |OT| Some made it, some did not.

yatesl

PC m8

Sorry I should have said

I had a similar issue with Rayman Legends. If you have an nVidia card, try creating a custom resolution (e.g. 1920 x 1079), even if it's just by one pixel. With Rayman it'd either crop, or run at 30fps for no reason, unless I did the above.

Valiant Hearts has been fine for me, though.

Neverism

Bosskey Productions
Tried using my 360 controller for the PC version and was greeted with DualShock button prompts!(?)
Proceeded to play with my DS4 and have really enjoyed the game so far.

Lovely artwork indeed!

Renpatsu

I just finished chapter 1 and as per usual Ubisoft seem to be on the ball when it comes to marrying together music and gameplay. Anna's introduction is great enough, but then the subsequent escape sequence really adds to how badass she can be.

Edit: And I don't mean it in a derogatory sense, but this game seems to have a great balance of education and dramatic flourish. Feels like a great piece of edutainment with its History Channel-esque framing device and little historical facts that you can read as you play. Still hoping it comes to Vita.

Varg

Banned
Got it on the xbone last night. Wife and I were amazed for the two hours I played. Story is great so far and it's nice to see her enjoying some of these types of games with me.

Skele7on

Banned
Downloaded it on xbox, but was grinding on Wild Star.

This weekend I'm going to sit down and complete it in one go!

Looking very much forward to it too!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Loving it so far. I didn't want to finish the game up tonight as I'll leave that for tomorrow night.

Here's my review on Steam and usually I don't go all out with these:

(N.B. 5 hours played)

A beautiful adventure game with enchanting music and characters who may move you to tears. Despite the doom & gloom outlook surrounding the game's setting, Valiant Hearts stands head and shoulders above perceived conceptions to deliver a mesmerizing moment of brilliance complete with scenarios of joy, sadness, and complete empathy.

It is one thing to create an entertaining product about World War I and tell a story -- it is another to tell that story while dismissing the overall whitewashing of general World War I history taught in schools and to be able to provide facts and lessons through a valuable medium such as videogames. As a fan of our written history, I would not only like to thank Ubisoft Montpellier for sticking to what I was most concerned about i.e. telling a story about World War I without blemishing it... I feel it is also noteworthy enough to celebrate what the development team have crafted by going above and beyond what I had initially hoped. Mentions and depictions of foreign countries fighting the war effort (Canada, India, Tunisia - represent!), including heart-wrenching personal letters from both sides of the conflict illustrating that no matter our lineage or culture we are all human.

On the centenary "celebration" of one of the greatest infamous events in our history -- one in which we still feel the aftershocks today -- I feel overjoyed to experience something like this in an entertainment medium form that I've spent immersed and loved dearly for almost three decades of my life. And yet it is World War I. There are portrayals of trench warfare, there are portrayals of troops blindly running over no-man's land in the hope of a few more metres to build more trenches. But this one feels right. We witness the events of World War I through the eyes of four controllable characters (five if we demand to include the medical dog) and through all of these events we see many parts of the Great War. The launch of machine guns as a defensive mechanism, the introduction of gas warfare, the importance that nurses played upon the battlefield, the harrowing experience of artillery raining down upon people, and the debut of three weapons which were defining moments in both theatres of World War II - the tank, the aeroplane, and the flamethrower.

In terms of gameplay, the puzzles themselves are not troubling due to common sense, and veterans of adventure games may find them trivial, yet the biggest stickler of all adventure games is whether the puzzles themselves make any sense to what is happening to the character in the universe. Thankfully Valiant Hearts avoids this quagmire. Controls are simple and neat both with M&KB interface alongside controller of choice. So far there have not been any issues regarding playability and it has that Ubisoft Montpellier polish to it. My only downfall is the fact that, despite the characters speaking their own form of mumbled speech within the game that is easy to understand (French characters saying "merci" while American character says "thanks") - it's a little disheartening to hear Emile, a major French character, speak in an English accent during story sequences at the beginning of a chapter. Perhaps a harmless contra, but one that grinds my teeth in little ways. This game also modestly steals the "greatest title screen music" from Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy XIII respectively at the same time.

Don't let the 2D animated quality of the graphics fool you. This game is full of grim, yet majestic, atmosphere. The mere fact that Ubisoft Montpellier managed to capture the real-life concept that death is everywhere and these people struggled through an immense scale of adversity in order to live through over 4 years of hell should be enough to reconsider and think about what the "lost generation" went through.

Highly recommended.

Ive only gotten to chapter 2 but oh man! I love everything about this game. The story, music, and art style, so good!

But I cant stress this enough, if you have NVIDIA's 3D Vision and a capable 3D TV/monitor you NEED to play this game in 3D. Even though it says unsupported the 3D is freaking amazing. The depth perception in the background layers and the popping foreground, god it looks so good!

DO IT!

I might check this out on a second playthrough.

Got it on the xbone last night. Wife and I were amazed for the two hours I played. Story is great so far and it's nice to see her enjoying some of these types of games with me.

Same here. I played for about an hour
up through the taxi sequence with the new female character
and have been having a spectacular time with it. Great storytelling, great look and feel, and I think the puzzles are solid, if a little too easy. Can't wait to play more.

redhood56

Banned
I finished it last night and absolutely loved it. I really liked the ending but they never really use the character that lied about knowing how to fly a plane the reveal trailer. I was really disappointed because I thought he could have been a cool character.

Valkrai

Just got this on Xbox thanks to the GS promo. Hope this is as good as you guys say, been looking for something different.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Sounds a lot like the same sort of experience as Stick it to the Man. Very light platforming and puzzle solving with a focus on storytelling and a compelling narrative structure. Will check it out.

Spada

Neo Member
Guys how long it takes to beat the game?
I hope it is short since I am interested in playing it but it is a struggle to find a time for games these days.

Inside

Don't know If already discussed, but this game was released the day before the EU leaders are marking that it is 100 years since the start of the First World War.

Looking forward to try the game doing the weekend! And experience the first world war, which dosent get much attention in video games.

I finished it last night and absolutely loved it. I really liked the ending but they never really use the character that lied about knowing how to fly a plane the reveal trailer. I was really disappointed because I thought he could have been a cool character.

DLC, perhaps?

I really think Ubi could use this template to tell similar war stories. Mechanically it's not all that great, but apart from one or two uneasy shifts in tone, it's a fine piece of storytelling and a strong evocation of a conflict that the medium has given little attention to.

GavinUK86

Don't know If already discussed, but this game was released the day before the EU leaders are marking that it is 100 years since the start of the First World War.

Well, yeah, the war started in 1914. Ubi probably targeted the release date for that specific reason.

CoolOff

I have a question about the language settings; is it possible to set them so each character speaks their local language, with English subtitles? I assume there are a few fully localized versions, but I would love a mixed one.

creyas

Maybe 2 hours in. Not really feeling the story or the storytelling nor interaction style, but damn is it gorgeous. The night background i stopped at for now looks simply incredible.

Puzzles nice and easy so far, which is good because all i want from this is a smooth sail.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Really enjoyed this game. Perfect length, I felt. And while I wasn't as emotionally invested as they probably wanted me to be (
felt they cried wolf a bit too much when it came to character death
), it was still an endearing title.

Unfortunately, I had a few bugs during my play-through that required level reboots, mostly dealing with the dog being spawned behind obstacles and such. And I think a few cut-scenes glitched out. For anyone who watched the credits,
what was that bit with Freddie getting on the ship? The narrator glitched out for me, so all I had was dramatic music. Foreshadowing DLC or what?

iMax

Just finished it. Phenomenal game. Ubi Montpellier—if you're reading this, you did a freaking awesome job on this. Keep doing whatever magic you're doing.

No game story has ever had me floored like this.
Bawled my eyes out like a proper man at the end.

And judging by the types of ships in the mid-credit sequence, is that a WWII sequel tease?

TeoLolstoi

Neo Member
I don't usually post when I have issues with a game but this right here is the worst. I didn't have any experiences with Uplay prior to this since I pretty much avoided anything done by Ubisoft. But I thought Valiant Hearts was worth it, but now I'm not able to launch the damn game.

I don't know where the problem lies, I reinstalled the game, Uplay and Steam twice. I don't think it's a problem with either Uplay or Steam though.

So I basically have the problem that the game only launches for a few seconds and this is only visible through the task manager. The process ends itself after a few seconds, which gives me the "thank you for playing Valiant Hearts" message in Uplay.

I'm really at a loss since I've never encountered any problems with Steam. I'm pretty much a newb to Uplay since Valiant Hearts is the first Ubi game I play on a PC. So maybe I'm just overlooking something? Please help me, I want to play this game so bad.

GolazoDan

Just finished this. Bloody great game. I liked how... educational it was. Not in your face, but they backed up the themes and aspects of every level with real life text files and photos explaining it all. Be in barbed wire or dogs of war or the relevance of certain locations or just specific events in the war. They've taken real care in making this game and it shows.

El Odio

Banned
Argh, I just can't figure out the
lock combination puzzle in chapter 2.
EDIT: FUCK, I just figured it out,
I thought the roman numerals on the pictures were also numbers in the code and not the order. I feel really dumb now.

TK Turk

Banned
Argh, I just can't figure out the
lock combination puzzle in chapter 2.

Hit the menu button, there are hints that come up every couple minutes to help you when you're stuck.

Beat the game tonight. It was a good story, but just an alright game IMO. Was way too linear, puzzles too easy. Gives me hope somebody will make a real adventure game though.

Grisby

Just beat it. The moment before the end was super tense and my fingers kept jamming up.

I felt sad at the ending but a little discontented too. I thought
Anna and Freddie got pushed to the side a little to much. I mean, I guess I was expecting Freddie to bust Emil out or something and not just watch him go down.

They did it the right way though I suppose.. Emile, well the player, killing that soldier felt like a big deal and Ubi did a good job of building that entire scene (watching your team die with zoom in shots)
around it.

Enjoyed the game overall. A looker that didn't overstay its welcome or make me feel like too much of a dumbo when it came to the puzzles.
Really enjoyed this game. Perfect length, I felt. And while I wasn't as emotionally invested as they probably wanted me to be (
felt they cried wolf a bit too much when it came to character death
), it was still an endearing title.

Unfortunately, I had a few bugs during my play-through that required level reboots, mostly dealing with the dog being spawned behind obstacles and such. And I think a few cut-scenes glitched out. For anyone who watched the credits,
what was that bit with Freddie getting on the ship? The narrator glitched out for me, so all I had was dramatic music. Foreshadowing DLC or what?
I thought they did this a little too much as well. Ah, I kind of liked the cliffhanger style and I didn't.
Just finished it. Phenomenal game. Ubi Montpellier—if you're reading this, you did a freaking awesome job on this. Keep doing whatever magic you're doing.

No game story has ever had me floored like this.
Bawled my eyes out like a proper man at the end.

And judging by the types of ships in the mid-credit sequence, is that a WWII sequel tease?
I was thinking the same thing. Was an odd deal to see at the end though.

Played it for a couple hours last night, thought it was great.

One time I hit a bug and had to reset (they need a function to "reset" puzzles or go to last check point) but other than that I had a blast.

Cess007

Loving it so far. The music is amazing and i've found the puzzle pretty nice (easy, but nice). My only complain is that the game is kinda buggy, i've some issue and actually, i had to restart a level twice with Anna.

When you reach her hometown, there's a lady you can save from the toxic gas. The first time, after saving her, i pressed X and the animation/sequence to revive her again started. After that, she got stuck on the door and never came out of the building. The second time she got out of the building but my character got stuck and couldn't move in any way

El Odio

Banned
Played up to the end of chapter 3 I think it's mainly the music but
I've really enjoyed the taxi and encounter with the baron portions, the music to really adds to both.
Aside from some rather poor and noticeable issues with some of the graphics (Some characters and flying bodies floating, not reacting etc.) and the dog getting in the way of the action button I have no real problem with this game so far. Probably gonna finish it up tomorrow.

Raab

Neo Member
I am loving this so far, especially the music. About on par with what MoH did with Allied Assault and Frontline IMO.

reminder

Finished it today. Enjoyed every second of it and i didn't expect it to have so much historical informations, which were quite interesting to read. The lenght and the general pace of the game were perfect in my opinion. Also i had zero bugs/glitches/freezes or something else on my PS4.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Thanks for the great OT! Been curious about this game so this thread here is gonna be my one stop shop for info. :)

kunstClick

Neo Member
I finished this game about an hour ago and some observations are running through my mind. First off, Valiant Hearts is an impressive accomplishment. Ubisoft Montpellier provided a lot of information on WWI through a straight forward storyline that bounces around key moments of the war. The plot line involving four characters trying to chase down Baron Von Dorf keeps the tone pretty light, until the somber moments in the final chapter, and provides an entry into implementing gameplay.

This is where my thoughts on the game aren't entirely clear yet. I had fun running past gunfire and dodging grenades in a French taxi and trying to work out the right levers to pull in order to defeat a boss but I felt it tended to be immersion breaking during moments where emotions needed a little momentum. Specifically, fail states really took me out of the game. Although, when I died it made me consider how easily people were killed during that time.

Nonetheless, I think game could have been tweaked to reduce fail states like a character stopping short of walking straight into chlorine gas or being blown back to a safe point when they come into contact with a shell. The game has a great amount of variety and activity and I like that but the stopping and starting can really kill the mood.

It's a really charming game though with a tastefully handled ending. The last chapter is very well done.

Couple of thoughts regarding this game:
1. World War 1 seemed to be surprisingly humane in comparison to WWII (if such term could actually be applied to war with millions and millions of casualties).
2. This beautiful artwork reignited my interest in european comic books. I always wanted to get into them, but now I'm even more interested.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the game.
Why can't I hold all these tears?

But seriously, it kinda bothered me how they pushed Anna to the side. Would have loved to see an Epilogue of Freddie with his brother, preventing him to go to the war, and Anna with her father.

But still, all in all, an amazing game. It's been a long time since I've been so invested in a game. I know this might bother some people, but I think that this is in the art territory for games.

I hope that Ubi Montpellier gets to do more of this. They have an amazing team, imagine what they will do with what they learned with the development of this game. Also, I think it was smart of Ubisoft to release so close after E3, and obviously promoting it with that great trailer. Lots of people probably are gonna get it and experience this great piece of work.

Also, did you guys see that the team thanked Michel Ancel for the "initial nudge", that man is awesome.

Top Bottom