• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Congrats! It's too bad the game never got any sequels.
I kid, VC2 is alright. It fixes some problems VC1 had, but introduces a whole new slew. You can even play it unofficially on Vita if you transfer via a PS3. VC3 just had its first fan-translation patch released. It's rough, but workable apparently.

Try out the "Behind Her Blue Flame" DLC.

I was thinking about picking up VC3 for that reason. How is the story compared to VC1? I read its a side-story?

casabolg

Banned
I was thinking about picking up VC3 for that reason. How is the story compared to VC1? I read its a side-story?

It's an entirely different group in the same war from VC1. VC3's story is more serious than 3. Lacking entirely in the more silly or (sometimes) cringeworthy scenes visible in VC1 near the opening but the characters are still very fun, the war is taken seriously, and the team relations and battle strategy writing are just as good as 1. I was SORELY hurt by what they did to VC2 but VC3 feels and acts like a proper sequel. Definitely worth checking out.

DSGamer

Neo Member
Probably a really dumb question but I'm more or less done with the PS3. Played Last of Us and most exclusive games. I haven't finished this, though, even though I love SRPGs. I've finished Tactics Ogre, FFTA, FFT, all US handheld Fire Emblem games and many others.

I'm a little scared off by the time commitment and having a pile of games. Namely Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3 waiting. I know if I pass on this I'll probably never come back to it.

So how crazy is this really? Am I missing that much to choose the fun games of now vs. this?

Giolon

Probably a really dumb question but I'm more or less done with the PS3. Played Last of Us and most exclusive games. I haven't finished this, though, even though I love SRPGs. I've finished Tactics Ogre, FFTA, FFT, all US handheld Fire Emblem games and many others.

I'm a little scared off by the time commitment and having a pile of games. Namely Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3 waiting. I know if I pass on this I'll probably never come back to it.

So how crazy is this really? Am I missing that much to choose the fun games of now vs. this?

I highly recommend not passing on this. It was one of my favorite games this gen.

Though you say you haven't finished this. How far did you play? What made you stop? What did you think of what you played so far?

DSGamer

Neo Member
I highly recommend not passing on this. It was one of my favorite games this gen.

Though you say you haven't finished this. How far did you play? What made you stop? What did you think of what you played so far?

I got to like Chapter 4. Not far. What made me stop was basically just that I had other things to play back then. Mostly MP. I don't really play multiplayer anymore with a few exceptions.

Ilúvatar

I left off VC at the giant tank battle (forget the name) because I was so caught up with the enemy aces. Hoping to get back to it soon!

Giolon

I got to like Chapter 4. Not far. What made me stop was basically just that I had other things to play back then. Mostly MP. I don't really play multiplayer anymore with a few exceptions.

Yeah, you should definitely go back to it. Maybe even recap the cutscenes of the first few chapters to get re-acclimated to what's going on.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
In Behind Her Blue Flame, is there really no way to start from Mission 2a or 2b? I have to play the first one every time?

someone plz answer asap

Ilúvatar

In Behind Her Blue Flame, is there really no way to start from Mission 2a or 2b? I have to play the first one every time?

someone plz answer asap

As far as I can tell, no. Annoying, ain't it. Best way would probably to make a late save on Mission 1 before you blow up that certain tank.

Okay I have just started playing this game ( 7 hours in 1 day) and it has already become or pretty close to my favourite srpg.

The gameplay is so addictive and the art and soundtrack are beautiful.

I just want to know one thing: in the desert mission I was told you can move units through the maps using the bases you have captured. It was said you could advance snipers this way. How do you do this? What do I press?

Also how to I get higher difficulties on skirmish?

Oh and favourite squad 7 mates; so far Vyse, Aika and Alicia.

Okay I have just started playing this game ( 7 hours in 1 day) and it has already become or pretty close to my favourite srpg.

The gameplay is so addictive and the art and soundtrack are beautiful.

I just want to know one thing: in the desert mission I was told you can move units through the maps using the bases you have captured. It was said you could advance snipers this way. How do you do this? What do I press?

Also how to I get higher difficulties on skirmish?

Oh and favourite squad 7 mates; so far Vyse, Aika and Alicia.
I think what people mean is that you can go to flags and send units back to base. Then re-deploy those units elsewhere.

I think what people mean is that you can go to flags and send units back to base. Then re-deploy those units elsewhere.

So I capture an enemy base, send my sniper to base and bring out another sniper? I'm pretty sure you can't send someone back to base and deploy them again so it has to be a new recuit and how many CP does it take? 2?

The game didn't explain it to me very well control wise.

Giolon

So I capture an enemy base, send my sniper to base and bring out another sniper? I'm pretty sure you can't send someone back to base and deploy them again so it has to be a new recuit and how many CP does it take? 2?

The game didn't explain it to me very well control wise.

It's been a while since I played, but I believe that if you send someone back to base, you can't re-deploy them until the next turn. I think I remember also there's an order that you can use to send a unit to base that costs 2 CP. Otherwise, it'll cost you 1 CP to send a unit back to base manually (at the base's flag IIRC) as it's regular movement, then 1 CP to call the unit out on the next turn.

It's been a while since I played, but I believe that if you send someone back to base, you can't re-deploy them until the next turn. I think I remember also there's an order that you can use to send a unit to base that costs 2 CP. Otherwise, it'll cost you 1 CP to send a unit back to base manually (at the base's flag IIRC) as it's regular movement, then 1 CP to call the unit out on the next turn.

So I click on home base and send someone back and then click on a new base and deploy the same person. I'll try it out tomorrow. Thanks!

Giolon

So I click on home base and send someone back and then click on a new base and deploy the same person. I'll try it out tomorrow. Thanks!

I think it's:

1CP: Take control of a unit, run it into base and touch the base flag to recall the unit. You may also be able to do this from the map with a unit that is already inside a base.

Wait a turn.

1CP: Choose any base and deploy the unit.

I think it's:

1CP: Take control of a unit, run it into base and touch the base flag to recall the unit. You may also be able to do this from the map with a unit that is already inside a base.

Wait a turn.

1CP: Choose any base and deploy the unit.

Oh, okay I get it now. Thanks.

Do you know how to unlock higher difficulties on skirmish. I've done normal but it doesn't seem the next difficulty has unlocked.

CHAPTER 7

Who the fuck made the design choices for this chapter:

punchr2f5n.gif

There's fair game and then there's bullshit and then there's chapter 7.

Firstly, the game does a piss poor job at telling at you what you can or can't do. I get told on Turn 4 that you can shoot the rubble......why the flip could you have not told me this at the beginning?!? Oh and only some of them since one of them takes like 8 shots to crumble...again no indication what so ever that this rubble piece is any different.

Secondly, the amount of ass pulling is rage inducing. Apparently all of a sudden Welkin can;t aim for shit. Apparently I have to get 10 feet from the turrets for Welkin to shoot. On my first try I sat there, shooting at a turret not far from the tank. 8 shots......8 FUCKING shots and not a single flying fuck landed. Thats some S class BULLSHIT.

Thirdly, Selvaria is a bitch. No seriously. Immune to all gunfire, runs around the map not giving a shit and killing my team mates in one turn. Then these bitch ass scouts come and perma kill them. I have had to restart 3 fucking times for this bitch and her dick of a commander refuses to shoot the canon for 2 turns.

giphy.gif

-1 to VC

Giolon

CHAPTER 7

-1 to VC

Chapter 7 - the first real challenge VC presents. A lot of people hit it like a brick wall, since it's a very different type of mission than everything you've been presented with before. I thought it did a great job at introducing Selvaria as the force of nature she's reputed to be. She will wreck your shit!

A couple tips:

Be sure to quickly take out all the side turrets on the Batomys. It'll save your people a lot of grief.

You can use your tank to block Selvaria and her shots. Just make sure your radiator isn't exposed, b/c that's the only way she can kill it.

It should only take 1 tank or lancer shot to down a wall. You can tell if it's shoot-able b/c it'll be in your list of targets when you cycle L2/R2.

Position Shocktroopers in cover wisely so that the enemies will run into their fire on their turn, but be sure to get everyone moving away from where Selvaria comes in early enough.

If you have it, use the Medic Request order to evacuate fallen units instead of risking additional units.

Chapter 7 - the first real challenge VC presents. A lot of people hit it like a brick wall, since it's a very different type of mission than everything you've been presented with before. I thought it did a great job at introducing Selvaria as the force of nature she's reputed to be. She will wreck your shit!

A couple tips:

Be sure to quickly take out all the side turrets on the Batomys. It'll save your people a lot of grief.

You can use your tank to block Selvaria and her shots. Just make sure your radiator isn't exposed, b/c that's the only way she can kill it.

It should only take 1 tank or lancer shot to down a wall. You can tell if it's shoot-able b/c it'll be in your list of targets when you cycle L2/R2.

Position Shocktroopers in cover wisely so that the enemies will run into their fire on their turn, but be sure to get everyone moving away from where Selvaria comes in early enough.

If you have it, use the Medic Request order to evacuate fallen units instead of risking additional units.

Finally managed to do it. With an engineer next to the Edelweiss the big tank isn't a threat at all. Managed to kill all of the turrets in 3 turns and then just positioned everyone including the Edelwiess at the top where Selvaria spawns. The enemy squad was wiped out by my mortars and Selvaria went to attack Vyse. Vyse was a god damn hero in this battle. He managed to hold against Selvaria for two turns by dodging her laser beams giving Aika enough time to throw grenades into the radiators.

Did it in 14 turns. One thing that I find silly in this game is how the number of turns is placed as the primary stat to get bonuses....not number of enemies/tanks killed or camps acquired. I've seen people get A ranks but controlling some scouts and running to the enemies camp. Such play should not be rewarded. Especially in this fight where you have to wait for that guy to shoot his canon for the radiator to appear. I had to wait 4 turns for him to shoot again, 3 of those with Selvaria in play. Thats just bad AI imo. Thank god Vyse was there.

Still loving the gameplay and characters.

LOL @ chapter 7. Chapter 8 search lights pissed me off.

One of the greatest games of last generation.

I was doing that an hour ago. Welkin nearly made it with Alicia limping behind but I made a fatal error and mistook a shocktrooper for a scout. RIP. Its annoying because of how long it takes. The challenge and premise of the level are actually quite interesting and a nice change.

Giolon

One thing that I find silly in this game is how the number of turns is placed as the primary stat to get bonuses....not number of enemies/tanks killed or camps acquired. I've seen people get A ranks but controlling some scouts and running to the enemies camp. Such play should not be rewarded.

Yeah, there has been much discussion over the years about how bad the grading system is - it doesn't reward smart play, so much as exploiting everything you can to complete the mission in fewer turns. It would've been great if casualties or number of enemy kills were taken into account. You do get some bonus for killing enemy Aces or whatever VC calls them, but it's not enough to offset the difference for missing out on the high rank multiplier.

The advice people generally give is not to worry about rankings on your first play through. Once you beat the game, all of the chapters will open up for re-play, and you can work on trying to get higher ranks to your heart's content. On the first trip through, do the best you can, enjoy the story, mechanics, and characters and all the surprises that come with, and then come back and ace everything.

Just remember you can save mid-mission. I had no idea about this until I finished the game, it turns the game into easy mode if a little cumbersome.

Prototype

Had no idea that the skies of arcadia team worked on this game. Looking for a copy right now.

EDIT:

Just got it and played the into chapter 3. Can't believe I didn't play this before. Amazing so far.

Just remember you can save mid-mission. I had no idea about this until I finished the game, it turns the game into easy mode if a little cumbersome.

Whaaaat? How? Probably won't do it. I like the pain of loosing a 1 hour battle.

Yeah, there has been much discussion over the years about how bad the grading system is - it doesn't reward smart play, so much as exploiting everything you can to complete the mission in fewer turns. It would've been great if casualties or number of enemy kills were taken into account. You do get some bonus for killing enemy Aces or whatever VC calls them, but it's not enough to offset the difference for missing out on the high rank multiplier.

The advice people generally give is not to worry about rankings on your first play through. Once you beat the game, all of the chapters will open up for re-play, and you can work on trying to get higher ranks to your heart's content. On the first trip through, do the best you can, enjoy the story, mechanics, and characters and all the surprises that come with, and then come back and ace everything.

Yeah I'm not too worried by the ranks since you still seem to get a lot of XP and money.

Top Bottom