• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Makoto

The general consensus is that the English voice acting is great. Not only with the main cast but with the recruits/side characters who have no where near as many lines of dialogues. The main theme of the game was also localized and it's sung by the same English voice actor of the character who sings it and it's really good.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Cathcart said:
I've had this game since it came out and it's always been number one on my games to play list but somehow kept getting bumped. But I'm installing it right now and I've got nothing to do tomorrow so I'm pretty psyched about finally trying it out.

Is there a consensus on which language to play it with? How's the English voice acting?
The English is actually really good. The only reason to play it in Japanese is if either you're a total Japanophile, or if you REALLY REALLY loved Code Geass. You can always play it in Japanese when you start New Game+.

Protip: you can save mid-battle through the pause menu. This will be your savior in times of grief and despair.

Giolon

Cathcart said:
I've had this game since it came out and it's always been number one on my games to play list but somehow kept getting bumped. But I'm installing it right now and I've got nothing to do tomorrow so I'm pretty psyched about finally trying it out.

Is there a consensus on which language to play it with? How's the English voice acting?

The English VA is pretty great. I personally like them the best for this game.

Cathcart

Yeah, it's been really good so far. Maybe I should have kept subtitles on, though. It took me a while to figure out that their tank was not called the Anal Vice.

I know I'm late to the party but my design archive finally arrived (international shipping is a PITA). I totally forgot how awesome this game was, I bought most dlcs but never really finished them, I guess I'll remedy that asap.

*Insert obligatory rant about the sequels*

Shai-Tan

Banned
Cathcart said:

i prefered the japanese (better voices, better acting) but the in game battle cries aren't translated. you can switch back and forth anyway from the main menu (what i did to decide).

kuroshiki

I don't really care whether it is dubbed or subbed. As long as I can get the game in English I couldn't care less.

But at this stage I don't think we have a lot of hope for VC3.....darn it.

Aru

Best hope for VC3 is subbed PSN release by a third party publisher or PSP remasters collection of VC 2 and 3.

Ellis Kim

Banned
rockman zx said:
Finally got my last medal in VC3, and now I have all the medals :D, posted some datails on my blog in case someone care, but here is the pic.
Oh, I missed this post.

You should really consider taking the Tumblr name for that too! I really like the idea of naming a website Alicia's Bakery :p

So I played the psp game for a few hours and was thoroughly bored by it. Is there any good reason to keep playing?

Also because I was so disappointed by the PSP game I decided to go back and play the first one on the PS3. Since I didn't play any of the DLC yet. I played 2 missions in the Selveria story and from Edy's. It's been a few years since I played the campaign but were all missions this gimmicky?

Giolon

From the Gaf Figures thread:

Swimsuit Selvaria's up for pre-order! It's not really publicly displayable which I normally don't go in for...but I may have to pick it up anyway. <3 Selvaria.

SelvariaSwim1.jpg
SelvariaSwim2.jpg
SelvariaSwim3.jpg

HobbySearch AmiAmi

As you may already know, Sega West Associate Brand Manager Aaron Webber has said in this interview that there is still hope for a localization of Valkyria Chronicles 3: http://www.dualshockers.com/2011/10...est-all-hope-is-not-lost-its-very-open-ended/

So, if you want VC3 to be localized there is no better time to join the Gallian Liberation Front to support the franchise: http://www.facebook.com/GLFront

I think this almost definitely means they're waiting to do a Vita release in the west, whether that's DL or package can't say.

frequency

Gah!

Every time I think I've finally gotten past my displeasure at Sega for not bringing VC3 PSP, some jerk bumps this thread and makes me sad :(

Lain

Gah!

Every time I think I've finally gotten past my displeasure at Sega for not bringing VC3 PSP, some jerk bumps this thread and makes me sad :(

I don't see why a VC1 thread bump would make you sad about VC3, but I'm glad Giolon posted about the preorder for the new Selvaria figure as he said he would some time ago, so I wont miss this Selvaria figure.

frequency

I don't see why a VC1 thread bump would make you sad about VC3, but I'm glad Giolon posted about the preorder for the new Selvaria figure as he said he would some time ago, so I wont miss this Selvaria figure.

It was more in response to the post above mine quoting someone talking about how Sega reps keep stringing fans along. Figure stuff is fine and pretty.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
.....It's too bad that they treated Selvaria like a... well, sex object, to be blunt.

But I suppose that's just the destiny of a female character with big breasts nowadays.

Also, someone should pm the OP to replace his tinypic links, hahaha.

The figure is a waste, don't get me wrong, it's cool and love the fact that they used a Raita design but seriously what about other characters?. Anyway I guess boobs + swimsuit makes money.

Quixzlizx

Can't a girl frolic around in a string bikini and high heels without a smear campaign starting up?

It's very nice looking, but I can't imagine buying it, let alone displaying it.

Giolon

The figure is a waste, don't get me wrong, it's cool and love the fact that they used a Raita design but seriously what about other characters?. Anyway I guess boobs + swimsuit makes money.

I've been dying for Alicia and Welkin to be done up by Alter/Altair or someone (the Kotobkuiya anime Alicia is kind of ok, but not great). I wouldn't call this one a waste though. But we really didn't need 3x Selvaria figures, as much as I love the character. This one is just blatantly exploitative.

I still may buy it >.> Waffling atm...

Dunan

At the risk of being called a "jerk", here's another bump:

The Valkyria Chronicles 3 artbook came out today (Y3150 ~= $41), and Amazon dutifully delivered it right on time:

51VvQOl9xGL._SS400_.jpg

I only got to thumb through it for a few minutes, but it's pretty good. Basically more of the same, if you liked the first two artbooks -- though not quite as magically awesome as the first one, which came out of nowhere and felt like such a special treat to us fans. Better than the high-school-drama second, certainly.

You've got your artwork of all the characters, pre-release rough sketches, the original art that was scanned to make the game's background graphics (re-scan these for a Vita re-release, please!), character ideas that didn't make it (Margitte looks nothing like how she was first envisioned; Valerie has some reat-looking alternative hairstyles), and the obligatory swimsuit shots for certain female characters.

I haven't looked at the interviews yet. But so far it's recommended. If you're a VC fan and can get your hands on this book without too much trouble, get it.

At the risk of being called a "jerk", here's another bump:

The Valkyria Chronicles 3 artbook came out today (Y3150 ~= $41), and Amazon dutifully delivered it right on time:

51VvQOl9xGL._SS400_.jpg

I only got to thumb through it for a few minutes, but it's pretty good. Basically more of the same, if you liked the first two artbooks -- though not quite as magically awesome as the first one, which came out of nowhere and felt like such a special treat to us fans. Better than the high-school-drama second, certainly.

You've got your artwork of all the characters, pre-release rough sketches, the original art that was scanned to make the game's background graphics (re-scan these for a Vita re-release, please!), character ideas that didn't make it (Margitte looks nothing like how she was first envisioned; Valerie has some reat-looking alternative hairstyles), and the obligatory swimsuit shots for certain female characters.

I haven't looked at the interviews yet. But so far it's recommended. If you're a VC fan and can get your hands on this book without too much trouble, get it.

I want it, but it will be too much trouble to get, and also I can't read Japanese. I'd hope for an English release, but now that I think about it, that will be impossible.

deim0s

I want it, but it will be too much trouble to get, and also I can't read Japanese. I'd hope for an English release, but now that I think about it, that will be impossible.

Or it would take UDON a century to translate and ship it.

Want, but without the 3rd game, no chance on this book getting localized.

Wool

so i found a brand new copy of VC in walmart in the cheap bins at 20$
should i even open it or preserve it?

Have you played it? I'd say open it and enjoy it. It sells for ~$18 new online anyway, so if you want one as an investment you could get another copy.

Salaadin

so i found a brand new copy of VC in walmart in the cheap bins at 20$
should i even open it or preserve it?

If you havent played VC before, open it and play it!

I saw this thread bump and thought there might be VC3 localization news. Im sad now.

If you havent played VC before, open it and play it!

I saw this thread bump and thought there might be VC3 localization news. Im sad now.

Well, at least there's this:
http://vc3translationproject.wordpress.com/

Explanation about variable width vs fixed width characters.

Wouldn't they just grab the libraries from VC2 though?

my original notion of a Chinese patch making it easy for an English patch is that we now know where all the language files are located, and what to do with them. I wasn't suggesting that Chinese patch = English patch or something dumb like that.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I know the thread is old but just a heads up - if you download the crackle ps3 app, you can watch the anime on ps3 for free. I'm currently watching and enjoying it, and might even do another playthrough afterwards.

LOVE this game. I beat it recently and I enjoyed almost everything about it. Characters were great, storyline was interesting, and the gameplay was challenging while also being incredibly fun. I haven't played that many SRPGs, but it's definitely made me want to try some others. Too bad that VC2 doesn't sound like a worthy sequel...but at least there's VC1 DLC for me to play.

So I found my PSP, is VC2 a worthwhile trip? I was told it refined the gameplay but lacks the characters of VC.
The gameplay is as good as always there're more weapons and the new units (specially the fencers) are great. But the characters are awful, the story is not as good as the first one, it's filled with school anime cliches and worst: (super spoiler alert)

The ending is pretty much the same as the first one

Hey, does anybody know if the VC anime was any good?

Also, that VC3 fan-translation is looking amazing - they put up a March 2013 update that shows some serious progress.

So I found my PSP, is VC2 a worthwhile trip? I was told it refined the gameplay but lacks the characters of VC.

Definitely worth it, but I will say that I think it's the opposite of VC1. I think that the level design and difficulty continuity is not as good as VC1, but has a more personal approach (anime tropes) to each character. Even squadmates get a few panel style cutscenes and a mission of their own.

Top Bottom