• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Damn, I forgot how satisfying kills were in this game.

I was planning on waiting to clear my backlog a bit before getting it but this thread is really making that seem difficult now...

That kill is made better by the fact it occurred during the enemy phase. I love the "uhhh, wrong turn, I'm gonna go now" reaction that occurred just a little too late.

Durante

I noticed a few things re-playing the game on PC:
  • It's really not that easy, even if you know exactly what you are doing rushing in stupidly can still kill you.
  • It has some surprising interactivity: an anti-tank shot missed my character and hit a nearby tree, and that actually blew off the tree at the trunk and removed it from the battle. I didn't remember the game having that feature. Eat your heart out Crysis!

Arthea

reporting for duty!
I won't start it till weekend at the earliest, but subscribed to OT, when I'm ready to go.
Good to hear that a port is good and everything is well in the world.

sublimit

Banned
Let's finish this with a blast from the past:
footerzco1w.png

I love this pic!

The first VC is a legendary game i hope PC players enjoy it as much as i did.

gngf123

Preloaded, but tomorrow is a busy day and I haven't finished SMT4 yet. Might start it on Thursday though.

Hoping I wake up to this #1 on the Steam Top Sellers chart.

An-Det

I'm super excited to finally play the pc version, I only got a few missions into the PS3 version before getting sidetracked. It's been slowly rising on the Top Sellers list on Steam over the day, so hopefully it'll top it tomorrow and bring it to more people.

Shengar

Great OT! Good to hear that the K/M control is acceptable, because I don't want to needlessly plug my DS3 just to play. This time, I'm gonna beat
Batomys for sure
Now we wait. Not funny when it said released 20 hours later when my calender all over the place said 11 November already
tumblr_lzu99sHLMO1qmb3vvo1_500.gif

I watched the anime a while back, I remember some things. My only question going into the game is...

How much did the anime change or skip out on? I heard some say that even some characters personalities where changed in the anime.

I heard that the anime have more flanderized characters

cpooi

So glad it has all the DLC. I was robbed of my chance to play the DLC on PS3 thanks to SEGA never releasing this game in Asia.

I noticed a few things re-playing the game on PC:
  • It's really not that easy, even if you know exactly what you are doing rushing in stupidly can still kill you.
  • It has some surprising interactivity: an anti-tank shot missed my character and hit a nearby tree, and that actually blew off the tree at the trunk and removed it from the battle. I didn't remember the game having that feature. Eat your heart out Crysis!

After all these years I still can't help but laugh at the fact that that anti-tank shot probably wouldn't have killed your character even if it scored a headshot. It always struck me as hilarious that tank artillery does less damage to infantry than foot soldiers firing at them.

I have to wonder if, per the framing device of reading On the Gallian Front, phenomena like blowing enemies' cover by shooting mortars to dislodge them are simply Ellet not understanding what she's looking at the whole time.

Falk

that puzzling face
After all these years I still can't help but laugh at the fact that that anti-tank shot probably wouldn't have killed your character even if it scored a headshot. It always struck me as hilarious that tank artillery does less damage to infantry than foot soldiers firing at them.

Proud tradition that started with Command & Conquer.

I hope this game sales gang busters. Here we have a beloved classic with a quality port to the PC resulting in a community rallying behind it with praise. Everything has been done well and avoided the frequent shit storms surrounding so many other releases as of late. Let's get this to #1 on Steam.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Durante is a god for putting effort into promoting this game. I hope this really exceeds Sega's expectations regarding PC sales.

FOR THE REBELLION!

Can't wait to experience non hyper tsundere Alicia again <3

KiraFA37

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant when I said I'd like to write a more technical post on my blog about how it renders. It's fascinating.

One thing is certain though: you do not want to see the raw images the game spits out in the initial rendering pass before the non-photorealistic magic happens.

Yes I do. Note to self, check Durante's blog regularly the coming weeks.

Preload has finished here, now we wait, very impatiently.

Dimmle

I love this game. Hitoshi Sakamoto's score really makes the experience, too. Listening to music from this and Final Fantasy XII really takes me back.

DR2K

Banned
Sorry to ask, but would my Laptop be able to run this ok? I want t support VC again.

It has intel HD 4000, Inel Core i3, 6gb of DDR3 ram. Not expecting the moon.

Beautiful OT and in-depth article.
Sounds almost like a dream of a port. If only every japanese PC port was of this quality.

Eager to see what's the fuss about this game.

Sorry to ask, but would my Laptop be able to run this ok? I want t support VC again.

It has intel HD 4000, Inel Core i3, 6gb of DDR3 ram. Not expecting the moon.

Durante had the game also running on a HD 4000 and a low voltage i5 CPU:

Emboldened by these results, I even tested the game on a convertible tablet/laptop combination, powered by a last-generation low-voltage Core i5-3317U with a nominal frequency of 1.7 GHz and Intel&#8217;s HD4000 integrated graphics. Certainly not a gaming machine by a long shot! At 720p, the game ran at around 44 FPS on this system and was absolutely playable.

If your CPU has about the same speed it could run it.

LowerLevel

Argh! Stop it, you're killing me! I was going to wait for a steam sale because I'm kinda broke and my backlog is crazy. But this game made me buy a PS3 and $18 is a steal...

Fukit, buying it tonight! My poor damn near empty wallet...

wait, i thought there were medics in this game

unless i'm mistaking it for engineer

Engineers can heal units more effectively than others, but it's not unique to that class. There is no medic class; you just get a scene of Fina running to the rescue whenever you reclaim a downed ally.

Alucrid

Banned
VC1 medics only show up from off-screen. In VC2 you can promote Engineer Vets to Medics.

clearly it has been too long since i've played this game then lol

Engineers can heal units more effectively than others, but it's not unique to that class. There is no medic class; you just get a scene of Fina running to the rescue whenever you reclaim a downed ally.

Ahhhh yeah, ok, that makes sense now

Speaking of the Medic, I wonder if a new game might design missions where controlling Medics would be feasible in crowded battlegrounds. Seeing the triplets run in without a scratch is weird, but so would taking away some utility from Engineers if Medics got their own class and place at the management level.

DR2K

Banned
Sounds almost like a dream of a port. If only every japanese PC port was of this quality.

Yeah it sure does. Looks like I'll be there day 1

BY2K

Membero Americo
Pre-ordered and pre-loading as we speak!

I had it on the PlayStation 3 but stopped playing when the game pulled a fast one on me when
during the big tank mission half-way through the Nazi-something Valkyria lady appears out of nowhere and wiped out my entire squad one by one.

Figured as much, it's a game that can run on a potato. Hopefully laptop from few years ago can still run this

TheTrain

I'm totally blind regard VC, the first run is going to be glorious
Good job with the article Durante, I find it very interesting from a general perspective

Top Bottom