• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Ultimadrago

whats this?

This is the 2nd time i've played this game, and the first time I only got like 3-4 missions before being distracted by something else.

When you are first offered squadmates to join Squad 7, they randomize with resets. However, I'm not sure if the same goes for unlockables like Audrey, as she showed immediately after I met the requirements.

Also, I think you can roll for offerings from the Aged Gentleman off Chapter Starts as well, but I don't remember if that's true or if I just wanted it to be true. It has been a little while.

like are some units better than others? Do I need to channel my puzzle and dragons?

Yes, but stacking them is far from necessary to complete the game comfortably.

Some people need their raifu waifus ASAP.

:p

Damn straight. All of my favorites (sans Audrey) are enlisting at the same time.

I would honestly be happy with just remastered versions of the original maps. It feels like VC2 and VC3 are designed around the concept of retiring people from one base to teleport them to bases on other maps, so new unified maps would probably screw with the balance a lot.

Part of me really wants to try making a total conversion of VC2/3 in VC1 PC, but goddamn that sounds like a ton of work.
Id love to see them do that, VC2 was so disjointed

Basically all they have to do to balance it is unify the maps and remove the instant reinforcements.

due to the maps, 2 was way too easy and was much easier to cheese.

Also, just finished chapter 4, and knowing that I commonly list this game in my top 5 ever, Im so glad that a replay 6 years later is living up to my nostalgia.

Mesoian

So I finally get through the selecting all my troops and researching some upgrades for the first time, and the game crashes when I click 'return to book mode'.

0TeoLon.png

So I have to do it all again. :|

Yeah, I legit can't get past this point.

Id love to see them do that, VC2 was so disjointed

Basically all they have to do to balance it is unify the maps and remove the instant reinforcements.

due to the maps, 2 was way too easy and was much easier to cheese.

Also, just finished chapter 4, and knowing that I commonly list this game in my top 5 ever, Im so glad that a replay 6 years later is living up to my nostalgia.
I think asking for a total redesign and rebalance of the game at this point is asking too much, especially since 3 is built from the systems developed for 2 (though takes care of 2's balance issues in other ways). I think the best case scenario is getting all of 2 and 3 working in 1's engine, with no gameplay mechanics altered.

Fireblend

Banned
Just spent about 2 hours playing this. Just made it to the barracks, picked out a team, some upgrades and now I'm ready for the game to really begin. I'm in love.

Thank you GAF, for another flawless recommendation. This almost makes up for the hot mess that was the FF XIII port.

And thanks Durante for that sweet, sweet GeDoSaTo upscaling.

<3

Also, quick question: is there absolutely no benefit for units that get carried into battle over those who stay at the barracks, since they all share experience anyway?

I think asking for a total redesign and rebalance of the game at this point is asking too much, especially since 3 is built from the systems developed for 2 (though takes care of 2's balance issues in other ways). I think the best case scenario is getting all of 2 and 3 working in 1's engine, with no gameplay mechanics altered.
Id love it, I wouldnt expect it. Id be plenty happy enough to just finally get to play VC3 in english, with english VOs, and on a better engine

Grief.exe

Also, quick question: is there absolutely no benefit for units that get carried into battle over those who stay at the barracks, since they all share experience anyway?

I was under the impression that you level the class, not the individual unit. So leaving units in the barracks should have no negative repercussions from a leveling perspective.

rickyson1

thanks to everyone who hyped this up

hadn't really even heard of this game a couple weeks ago(never had a ps3 for one thing) but it sounded like something i'd enjoy so preordered it

it's already easily my favorite game i've played this year and i've only finished chapter 5 so far

xBladeM6x

Hey look, it's that difficulty spike in chapter
that I hated. Lol Maybe I'll be better at it this time, now that I'm older. xD

Ultimadrago

Only reason to reroll is to get Vyse and Aika.

Vyse? Yes.

Aika? Eh. I like Aika, and it's cute to have both on the battlefield together, but if I got Vyse/Marina/Jane/Cathy in one roll, she'd be picking a DMV ticket.

And Edy. <3

Got all 3 on my first roll, aw yiss

I never used Edy. In fact, I never heard of her until I saw the DLC which I didn't play the first time around. I'll give her a test run on this playthrough.

Baha

Really been enjoying this game on PC. Heads up to new players, check out the Personnel tab. The devs actually gave each squad member some background including reasons for some of their debuffs.

Example: Catherine's Low Ammo Debuff

Oh and their personnel pages get updated if a relevant perk is unlocked.

Hikami

Alright, I think I played enough for today.
Had a bit of trouble at the bridge part but got it on my second try, glad the game isn't super easy or insanely hard. (so far at least)
Favorites so far are Marina and Wendy, they're pretty fun to use and I like their designs.

The game is really fun, enjoying it more than I did other similar strategy games.

So, earlier I was all wowed by Vyse and Aika's other fame... and now the truth about Alex just struck me.

Sega, you barrel of geniuses... I tip my nonexistant hat to you.
Really been enjoying this game on PC. Heads up to new players, check out the Personnel tab. The devs actually gave each squad member some background including reasons for some of their debuffs.

Yeah, that's a really nice touch.

Burt

I'm at chapter 3 and I can't get my tank up the ramp. Is that supposed to happen, or am I 'y can't metroid crawl?'

Aselith

I don't like that the game shows enemies moving around off screen. You shouldn't know they're there if you don't spot them.

I'm at chapter 3 and I can't get my tank up the ramp. Is that supposed to happen, or am I 'y can't metroid crawl?'

Are you running at 120 FPS? That seems to cause a problem in that situation.

If not, I don't know what the problem is.

I don't like that the game shows enemies moving around off screen. You shouldn't know they're there if you don't spot them.
Situational awareness, yo! You can hear them even if you can't see 'em.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Uggggh, chapter 7 wasn't too bad once I remembered the condition that makes reinforcements appear, but in chapter 8, I forgot how stupid the
Hobbling
is.

I've also died from landmines twice, lol.

so the first time you guys lose a character, let me know if the death quotes just force you to reload your save

Some of them are pretty incredibly touching
Ramona:
"Welkin... Dress me up... All in white... I don't want... To be seen... Like..."
Marina:
"I don't fear death...Solitude...Darkness...have been...faithful companions..."

Squishy3

Are you running at 120 FPS? That seems to cause a problem in that situation.

If not, I don't know what the problem is.

Situational awareness, yo! You can hear them even if you can't see 'em.
I had the same problem and I'm playing at 60. I got around it by driving it up the ramp diagonally, it only seemed to stop if you tried to go straight up it.

It's been a long time since I last played VC, but even though most leveling and bonuses occur on a class-wide basis, I think you do need to use units in order to unlock some of their personal potentials (i.e. perks).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hey look, it's that difficulty spike in chapter
that I hated. Lol Maybe I'll be better at it this time, now that I'm older. xD

this sounds familiar... I remember stopping the game because of a difficulty spike / getting distracted by other stuff back on PS3 and never going back to it

I am more focused on finishing games these days at least

soultron

Banned
Pretty fun so far! The shot when the title is shown on screen after the foreword by the author/narrator, when the music is swelling in the background... so good.

jb1234

I had the same problem and I'm playing at 60. I got around it by driving it up the ramp diagonally, it only seemed to stop if you tried to go straight up it.

Yeah, I had a hell of a time getting up that ramp. I eventually made it but it took a while.

Ha, I totally forgot her last name was O'Hara.

V7xqXHwl.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The top sellers list on Steam is shared throughout all regions.

this. Advanced Warfare not showing up in that germany picture is a bug, it also doesnt show up in my top sellers list (Portugal) but the game is available

but still, go Valk. I hope we get a comment from sega on this, a tweet or something

Shengar

Welkin modest background as a person with interest only in nature then turned into one of the greatest tactician remind me of a certain character.
vc57s0d.jpg

Indonesia store (which means SEA store, perhaps). Global Saturation succeed.

I hope it stay like this for at least 3 days

soultron

Banned
Hitoshi Sakimoto composed an amazing soundtrack for this game. It's one of my all-time favorites.

Yeah! I'm going to have to look up that track on YT.

Also, does anyone know if there's an option to turn up the mouse movement speed? It's really slow, while the WASD movement in the Commander view is SUPER fast.

Top Bottom