• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Grief.exe

Gentlemen, we have done it.

We have decimated games with marketing budgets in the hundreds of millions, indie behemoths, and the mighty Sid Meir. Are you not entertained?

B2N8IUmCYAEo6ue.png:large

hanzy

Neo Member
Sounds like I should buy this game.

I was thinking of buying AC:U, but it sounds like it may not be worth it, at least in its current state.

Unrelated:
How did my backlog of games get to be so large...I don't think I can ever beat them all.
I have at least 15 games I have not even played--game gluttony, need to reel it in.

We have decimated games with marketing budgets in the hundreds of millions, indie behemoths, and the mighty Sid Meir. Are you not entertained?

Hell yea. Hopefully this and FF are sign that bigger budget Japanese games have a place on PC.

epmode

One complaint:

This game gets pretty confused when I leave my CH HOTAS plugged in along with my 360 pad. The camera slowly rotates around my character and the right stick doesn't work until I unplug and replug the HOTAS back in to my USB hub. Other games that support a 360 pad don't have the same problem.

RM8

I'm loving this game! So glad I bought it. At some point I'll hunt the PSP sequels. I just wish the pacing would be a bit faster - I was expecting something more XCOM-ish due to the comparisons, XCOM has basically flawless pacing IMO. But then I just started playing, and JRPGs can start a bit slow sometimes.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The background and emoticon suck for this game. The backgrounds are far to dark, and the emoticons are boring.

Miker

Is the music supposed to be this loud? I can barely hear the sound effects and voice barks with the default settings, and even with music at half and sound effects at max, it still sounds faint.

Also, VC reminds me of how much I vastly prefer character-driven SRPGs compared to the generic characters in XCOM. The writing is questionable, and the tropes are laid on thick, but just having actual characters with different personalities and VAs makes such a big difference in terms of attachment.

Ultimadrago

The background and emoticon suck for this game. The backgrounds are far to dark, and the emoticons are boring.

I don't know what possessed them to use the class logos as emoticons. Heck, most Steam games boast completely impractical emoticons. I'm guessing most of it is viewed as a simple afterthought (not that I blame that view), but well-done extras (like Skullgirls' "Salt" emote) always stand out more because of it.

Also, VC reminds me of how much I vastly prefer character-driven SRPGs compared to the generic characters in XCOM. The writing is questionable, and the tropes are laid on thick, but just having actual characters with different personalities and VAs makes such a big difference in terms of attachment.

Yes, yes. I still had a decent time with XCom: Enemy Unknown, but Valkyria Chronicles really impressed with attempting to give characters their own vibe for you to create preference and attachment between. I remember it actually taking me aback for a bit as it's such a delightful occurrence to read/hear optional squadmates' unique lines from enlisting to shooting to ability activation to death.

epmode

I haven't played this in forever, GAF, so please remind me: Do you continue getting new recruits or should I reload if I don't get the recruits I'm interested in right off the bat?

Is the music supposed to be this loud? I can barely hear the sound effects and voice barks with the default settings, and even with music at half and sound effects at max, it still sounds faint.

The balance does seem off, even after that patch that supposedly fixed audio issues. I cut the music by 40% or so.

Ultimadrago

I haven't played this in forever, GAF, so please remind me: Do you continue getting new recruits or should I reload if I don't get the recruits I'm interested in right off the bat?

You get new recruits. Don't worry yourself too much with your initial loadout as you will gain more to choose from as the story progresses.

Anyone else getting a lot of game crashes? Had to skip the 2nd cut scene in the game because it crashed halfway through every time. Then same thing in chapter 2. Now i'm stuck on the first tank mission because the game crashes every single time the mission starts. -_-

This really sucks because the game has been fun so far...when its not crashing constantly >.>

epmode

Anyone else getting a lot of game crashes? Had to skip the 2nd cut scene in the game because it crashed halfway through every time. Then same thing in chapter 2. Now i'm stuck on the first tank mission because the game crashes every single time the mission starts. -_-

This really sucks because the game has been fun so far...when its not crashing constantly >.>

Are you downsampling from a resolution higher than 4K? Because that seems to cause crashes.

Are you downsampling from a resolution higher than 4K? Because that seems to cause crashes.

Negative, I'm doing nothing but loading up the game and playing at 1280x720. I streamed this game for about 46 mins and it crashed about 8 times in different places. It's currently unplayable...for me at least.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DAT CHAPTER 7.

Forgot how tough that is if you don't know what you're doing. There's also a "trick" I didn't know the last time I played it. Spoiled for those don't want to know it:
Park the tank in front of the first flag with an engineer in the "north" deployment coming to repair Welkin. So long as the tank has a few HP upgrades (you are upgrading, right?) you'll be able to repair the tank to full health in 1-2 turns while your Lancers go around the enemy Big Tank to take the guns out (WATCH OUT FOR RETURN FIRE, meanwhile. You can "bait" the aiming mode into letting you hit without the enemy turrets activating. Play around a little while moving the jo--er--dunno on keyboard playing with a controller a little to edge the movement into a walk).

Once those are all done, retreat all your Lancers but Largo to the second camp (south of the initial spawns) and hide them in a wall preferably after taking the walls down. Then haul ass with the tank to the last-stand area bringing walls down as you go past to set-up the "cooling rod" pop-up sequence. Largo should be able to take the "right" (Big Tank perspective) and back cooling towers out by himself -- may have to cut it a bit close with the back but should be before the last one pops-- maybe resupply with an engineer before retreating, if you want to be careful. And then lay the wall Lancers and tank into the third/last "Left" cooling rod to destroy it. Should then have the mission be over if not destroy the tank quickly.

Also somehow got the Ace despite my entire team setting up at the last stand and
mowing down reinforcements while praying Selvaria wouldn't come to kill Welkin. Thankfully her AI just passed my entire ambush party while my snipers took the Ace out and somehow "nailed the Ace" achievement in addition to the weapon even though we didn't touch him.
Okay? Thanks enemies for giving us that?

jackal27

Banned
Wow, this game is really really good. I'm glad I didn't buy a PS3 just to play it though! Here's hoping more console exclusives come to Steam.

Sectus

How far back do you have to reload to get another RNG roll for Marina?

The game chooses the new recruits when you enter the command room. So just save after completing a mission, and then reload after entering the command room.

The balance does seem off, even after that patch that supposedly fixed audio issues. I cut the music by 40% or so.

I did a quick comparison pre and post-patch and it only barely changed the volume balance. It's definitely still wrong. Hopefully they'll patch it again quickly.

Anyone know how to read the resource files yet or are we still figuring out things on that front? Some guys came upon a curious discover of a folder labeled "Coop" with two files and are going back and forth with conspiracy theories as to what it is. I mean, personally I'm pretty sure it's just the UI files for multi-unit attacks, but it would be nice to see what those files reference.

I've been playing the game on this bargain bin laptop at a solid 30FPS with Vsync off. I have been thoroughly entertained today. Hopefully Sega catches the hint and gives us Bayo 2, Vanquish and VF5 ports that are optimized out the wazoo.

I still need Marina on my squad for max entertainment.

I've been playing the game on this bargain bin model at a solid 30FPS with Vsync off. I have been thoroughly entertained today. Hopefully Sega catches the hint and gives us Bayo 2, Vanquish and VF5 ports that are optimized out the wazoo.

I still need Marina on my squad for max entertainment.

Bayo 2 is never happening but Bayo 1 may be a possibility.

Just finished chapter 6, time for the dreaded chapter 7.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I tried soft-resetting for Marina a couple of times, but no dice.

do you eventually get all the recruits just through completing chapters, or is it something I have to game?

Been a long time since VC on the PS3, lol.

Marina is literally the last member of my old favorites missing in action. I'm sure she'll pop up soon enough. In the mean time I'll settle for Jane killing two imps in her line of sight like some she demon.
Bayo 2 is never happening but Bayo 1 may be a possibility.

Just finished chapter 6, time for the dreaded chapter 7.
Oh shit I don't even know where that 2 came from. I'm not one of those crazies that actually thinks a Bayo 2 port is possible for any other system. I meant Bayo 1.

Just a heads up before Nintendo fans burn me alive.

Yarbskoo

Played up to the part where you get to outfit your squad.

Game's pretty fun so far, and it seems like it's just getting started. I wish the menus had mouse support, but it's not so bad as to get in the way of the fun, and the combat controls seem to work just fine. The loading screens are a lot shorter than what I remember from my short time with the PS3 version, and aiming is a lot quicker for me with a mouse.

Also, that main theme is amazing. I like it more than anything Sakimoto composed for Final Fantasy XII.

epmode

Yakuza ports would be great as well! There's an audience for Yakuza 5, I know it!

And Skies of Arcadia! I've been hoping for a definitive release for ages now.

God I love port begging.

TaroYamada

I feel it necessary once more for me to mention that the chart is revenue based, this means 3+ copies of Valk are selling for every copy of Ass Creed to surpass it on the chart. It's weird seeing a 6 year old Japanese console exclusive surpass a new Ass Creed release.

This game should have had that reception on PS3, on console where the supposed western market is for Japanese content :/

Hylian7

I love this port so far. The framerate and resolution are so nice.

One problem I'm having though, the game crashes when I exit it. IT's not really a big deal, since I'm exiting, but it is kind of annoying.

I feel it necessary once more for me to mention that the chart is revenue based, this means 3+ copies of Valk are selling for every copy of Ass Creed to surpass it on the chart. It's weird seeing a 6 year old Japanese console exclusive surpass a new ass creed release.

This game should have had that reception on PS3.

Just goes to show years of internet chatter and praise can have a positive effect on re-releases down the road when a game "bombs" initially. As well as not fucking up the port.

Hopefully some other companies learn from both of those things.

Shengar

This game should have had that reception on PS3, on console where the supposed western market is for Japanese content :/

Released in 2008 where there are fucktons of great game and the price of PS3 cost an arm and leg doesn't do much favor to good ol' Valkyria Chronicles.

I feel it necessary once more for me to mention that the chart is revenue based, this means 3+ copies of Valk are selling for every copy of Ass Creed to surpass it on the chart. It's weird seeing a 6 year old Japanese console exclusive surpass a new Ass Creed release.

I called it a while ago. If there is any anime game out there with a possible strong appeal to Europeans it has to be Valkyria Chronicles and Steam has their service all up every corner of Europe.

It helps that this is a really great port too.

Wouldn't surprise me if Valkyria Chronicles PC sells more units than the PS3 version. Can't wait to see what happens during the winter sale.

God this game is gorgeous! This is my first time downsampling (I always go for framerate, but this game runs so well there's no reason not to try it), and I can't get over how pristine everything looks.

This game is hard as shit, though, at least for a strategy rookie (perhaps more accurately: 'dumbass') like me. I wish I could bring up the save/load menu anywhere, because at the rate I'm screwing up it gets frustrating having to listen to my character's death cry and wait through the Game Over screen. I'm sure I'll get better as I go along, though.

It's fantastic to see how well it's selling. Vanquish and Bayonetta ports done to this level of quality would be a dream come true.

Top Bottom