• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Falk

that puzzling face
If I loved the first Advance Wars game, will I enjoy this one?

If you enjoyed Advance Wars, you'll like Valkyria Chronicles.

If you didn't enjoy Advance Wars, you'll also like Valkyria Chronicles.

OR ELSE.

Just pick who you think you'd like. Just realize certain people will like to be paired with certain others and will get a boost if you do have them in your active squad. The opposite can also happen, they can get a stat decrease when with certain others as well. Also, many characters will be good/bad with certain terrain types, which may influence who you use on a particular map.

It's not just slight bonuses or penalties. Linked/bonus attacks from characters that like each other are pretty important.

Miker

Trying to decide if I want to do 4K with no AA at ~55-60 fps or 3K w/ 4x SMAA at a rock solid 60 - and all this on a 7850. Can't believe the port runs this well.

I don't know what's worse, the fact that AssCreed Unity has 33% positive reviews and still is Top second or the fact that Five Nights at Freedy 2 is the Top #1. Dat YouTubber fodder, ugh.

Maybe I should actually be happy Valkyria Chronicles is third. Anime waifus forever, against all waves and tides. Strategy forever. SEGA PC ports all the way. Bring in the next, guys! Wallets are ready, we have choo choo Hype Tank Trains, Hype Giant Robots, Hype Angels, Hype Dragoons, you name it.

I think the empire is more of a Third Reich ersatz. Andgiven the position on the map and the windmills, Gallia feels more like the Netherlands. imo

- yes
- yes
- important characters are automatically in your rooster, everything else is to your own taste. Coose your best waifus.

Yes, leveling affects all soldiers of a class equally. Rank is based only on turns, but you really shouldn't worry about it on your first playthrough. As for recruits, Jann. Always Jann.

Just pick who you think you'd like. Just realize certain people will like to be paired with certain others and will get a boost if you do have them in your active squad. The opposite can also happen, they can get a stat decrease when with certain others as well. Also, many characters will be good/bad with certain terrain types, which may influence who you use on a particular map. Potentials are unlocked as you level the classes up, and everyone in that class will benefit and get one as they unlock. Also note that certain potentials will need to be unlocked in other ways, you'll figure it out as you progress through the story.

Great, thanks for the help y'all!

PhaZZe

Banned
I really thanks GAF for show me this game, right now in love with this game, the music, graphics, character, history, all great. and again thanks SEGA for this game.

aravuus

Love the class level up system. I've always liked SRPGs, but sometimes they have the shittiest level up/exp gaining systems. I've never played much Disgaea for example cause of how much I dislike how only the killing blow dealing character gets exp.

The game's definitely hard though. I need a quick save button, keep forgetting to save before every risky move.

e: when do i unlock new upgrades for gear to buy? just by finishing story missions?

e2: also do orders last for the rest of the battle or for just that turn?

Obrek

Banned
Played the first two missions this morning before I left for work. I enjoyed them, but I was in a little hurry and got slightly annoyed at how much exposition there was between missions.

The system I really don't understand right now is the counter attacking. Why are enemies shooting at me infinitely during my turn? I move and they shoot a burst at me, which is fine, but they keep shooting non stop until I end the action. That doesn't seem like a good mechanic to me, especially since I can't immediately end my action after making an attack, I have to sit while the game loads or something and the enemy just keeps firing at me.

Love the art, looking forward to being able to make my own squads.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm having a weird issue. I had preloaded the game, but now it says there's 300 MBs left, and they won't download. There's a message in the corner saying "busy writing to disk", but I'm not really doing anything that should make Steam unable to write to the disk, nor is it even remotely full.

Anyone got any ideas?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The system I really don't understand right now is the counter attacking. Why are enemies shooting at me infinitely during my turn? I move and they shoot a burst at me, which is fine, but they keep shooting non stop until I end the action. That doesn't seem like a good mechanic to me, especially since I can't immediately end my action after making an attack, I have to sit while the game loads or something and the enemy just keeps firing at me.

Your soldiers can do the same thing to enemies on their turn. Getting constantly shot at during your turn means you're doing something wrong.

I'm having a weird issue. I had preloaded the game, but now it says there's 300 MBs left, and they won't download. There's a message in the corner saying "busy writing to disk", but I'm not really doing anything that should make Steam unable to write to the disk, nor is it even remotely full.

Anyone got any ideas?

its decrypting the game.. it took like 5-10 min for me, and it ended

Sera O

Banned
The most appropriate game to play while off work for Remembrance Day. The port is running great for me so far, too.

Yes, the key is to move and get into aim mode as fast as you can, and end your turn immediately/get to cover if enemies have line of sight on you. It's easy to die just because you got whittled down standing there to no benefit. The upside is that you should take advantage by strategically positioning your own units. Taking one cp to attack and then knowing the enemy will basically suicide when their chance to move comes around lets you be more efficient with your turns.

I hate using kb for movement because of the return fire thing; the adjustment from controller has been kind of painful in this regard.

Tu101uk

So, wait, it's time to display our waifu squad compositions? Need to play more then! Please tell me there is a meganekko (aka girls with glasses).
There are a couple of meganekko that you can choose for your squad. Nancy has three good personal perks
and then gains a personal debuff as her last one later on, which can leave her with no grenades
. She was almost always on my team though on my first attempted playthrough on PS3, she was so endearing.

By the way, this port is glorious. Combined with Durante's excellent GeDoSaTo, this thing runs, plays, looks and feels like a dream. Thanks SEGA!

Played the first two missions this morning before I left for work. I enjoyed them, but I was in a little hurry and got slightly annoyed at how much exposition there was between missions.

I'm new to the game, but this is how I understand it:

When you select a character to control, there are two 'states', moving and shooting.

When moving, all enemies will attack you in real-time if you are in range. When shooting, time pauses and you get all the time in the world to aim. After your shot, the attacked enemy is guaranteed a counterattack (unless you're out of range). After his counterattack, you are put back in the 'moving' state, time resumes, and enemies within range start attacking you again.

What you mistake for "have to sit while the game loads or something and the enemy just keeps firing at me", is the enemy's counterattack. After that counterattack, you are free to end your turn.

Hope this helps! And experienced players please feel free to pick out errors in my explanation!

Sectus

I was inspired by PetriP-TNT so here's a bunch of screenshots at the manliest of resolutions: 320x240 (or well, slightly lower than that because the game is widescreen only and it apparently thinks 320 is too high of a number)

valkyria2014-11-1202-syrvo.png

valkyria2014-11-1202-6aot6.png

valkyria2014-11-1202-kqrsm.png

valkyria2014-11-1202-u6qex.png

valkyria2014-11-1202-vup0p.png

valkyria2014-11-1202-r2roe.png

valkyria2014-11-1202-zxoxe.png

Weiss

Banned
So are Skirmish missions really necessary?
I remember not really bothering with them in VC2.

They're basically just for grinding.

There was a difficulty spike in Chapter 11 so I replayed Upper Fouzen and got A ranks for the xp and money. A ranking that level is easy and it nets over 40,000 experience each time.

It's been so long since I last played the game, did leveling up actually do anything when it doesn't go "somethingsomething potential/order/whatever unlocked"?

Slight stat boosts, but those aren't particularly significant. Other than a few orders and the elite upgrade, leveling isn't a huge determining factor in this game.

Falk

that puzzling face
Again, 2 is a perfectly serviceable game if you aren't looking for plot. It mechanically (outside of smaller maps due to PSP) does some things better than VC.

Going in with that knowledge alone actually makes VC2 a lot more palatable. Disappointing? Sure, especially after how well written VC was. Incapable of deriving entertainment from? Depends on your mindset.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man the XP system from this game should be standard across all strategy RPG's. My least favorite part of the genre is jumping through hoops trying to get specific characters leveled.

wmlk

Again, 2 is a perfectly serviceable game if you aren't looking for plot. It mechanically (outside of smaller maps due to PSP) does some things better than VC.

Going in with that knowledge alone actually makes VC2 a lot more palatable. Disappointing? Sure, especially after how well written VC was. Incapable of deriving entertainment from? Depends on your mindset.

Knowing that the franchise is in utter shambles, I just don't want to play VC2 to sour any impressions I have of it. I have no clue how good VC3 is so I'll look into that.

Durante, any chance to get the texture dump/overide stuff working for valkyria chronicles? i remember doing the ps4 buttons mod for DS2 way back and it was a piece of cake with your tool...

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Those screens are wrong, the 3DS port is going to have Chibi characters.

Mesoian

You guys!!!!

THIS PORT LOOKS SO FUCKING GOOD!!!!

I thought VC2 was really grindy and repetitive, ignoring the plot.

Of course, I'd still play it again.

Yeah, the leveling system in VC2 was the thing that kneecapped it. Everything else is stellar though.

Maaaaaaan this is one game where I may actually break my 'no-workaround' rule for IP blocked content.
As a rule, I refuse to even do a work-around(VPN, paying a friend to gift etc.) to give companies my money when they actively block me from buying normally.

I understand some of the reasons why it is necessary, but with a game this old I just can't fathom why SEGA would do it. Japan may not be a huge market on Steam, but it's not like they are incurring some cost by allowing people to buy.

I have to have a meeting with a client today to argue about exactly this, and their reasons actually make goddamn sense!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
yeah but without the tools to extract or inject those would be a bit harder... the way the texture dump worked on dark souls made everything a piece of cake.

Well you don't really need to extract them. It's like 4 files in the game's directory under the folder "texture_replace" with the rest of the files being various BG elements.

Well you don't really need to extract them. It's like 4 files in the game's directory under the folder "texture_replace" with the rest of the files being various BG elements.

I also saw those, but the thing is I dont know where those dds files needs to be, they appear to be extracted from a HTX file, but i dont have a tool to edit those files and try to inject them back :/

xBladeM6x

Man, I forgot how unforgivingly difficult VC is compared to VC2.

Just play 3. You have to be a diehard fan in order to stomach 2.

I actually like 2 a lot. There's actually one thing I like more about 2, than 1, and it's that you can call reinforcements and use them in the same turn, instead of having to wait until the enemy's next turn is over.

Top Bottom