• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

xBladeM6x

Those heavy fencers or whatever they were called broke everything.

What's funny is that I don't even use them in VC2. I'm more just talking about how squishy your soldiers are in VC compared to VC2, also how it's harder to abuse not getting shot before you get your shot off, since they seem to have a much quicker ADS and start lighting you the fuck up. Lol

Falk

that puzzling face
VC honestly isn't difficult once you remember that grenades and medkits are pretty much virtually infinite with good management, and that Rosie/Largo/Alicia give one CP each per phase if they're on the field.

Except the gimmick chapters with giant tanks from outer space. Those can go DIAF.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I was inspired by PetriP-TNT so here's a bunch of screenshots at the manliest of resolutions: 320x240 (or well, slightly lower than that because the game is widescreen only and it apparently thinks 320 is too high of a number)]

What is this? A game for ants!?

legacyzero

Banned
Anybody else having trouble with DS4 controls? It's like there is not "Accept" function, so if I press either X of Square, it's like I'm trying to go back or "Cancel".

Is there a better fucking X input wrapper for DS4 than DS4tool? Hate this thing.

So I finally get through the selecting all my troops and researching some upgrades for the first time, and the game crashes when I click 'return to book mode'.

0TeoLon.png

So I have to do it all again. :|

Whoa I finished the Scout Challenge in the Skirmish tab and got an ungodly amount of XP and money. I have to say, saving and reloading in the middle of a battle seems like an unbalanced inclusion. :p

Strangely I'm learning more about the mechanics of this game through skirmish mode. I didn't know what to do for a while and I've finally nailed a good portion of it down.

Levyne

Banned
So I finally get through the selecting all my troops and researching some upgrades for the first time, and the game crashes when I click 'return to book mode'.

0TeoLon.png

So I have to do it all again. :|

Something about this transition has hit a bunch of people in the thread. Very weird. Many people crashing at that point.

jett

D-Member
It was sort of balanced on PS3 because it took a disgusting amount of time both to save and load, like 40-45 seconds each, but it's absurdly fast now. Still, it's gone from the sequels, if they get around to porting them as well.

Yeah it's kind of like having save states...I'll try to not abuse it too much. Just beat Chapter 4, that was great! I like how I prevented reinforcements by capturing the enemy's bases.

I also didn't know how story heavy the game was, it's pretty much 4+ cut-scenes between each mission. Characters and such are definitely growing on me. So far, the game is pretty great. Although it's nothing like it, it reminds me of my days of playing FFT.

Whoa I finished the Scout Challenge in the Skirmish tab and got an ungodly amount of XP and money. I have to say, saving and reloading in the middle of a battle seems like an unbalanced inclusion. :p

Battles in this game get way too long for there not to be a mid-battle save function. Save scumming is a choice, just don't do it.

Falk

that puzzling face
- There was also a decent amount of exposition in FFT
- Very similar mood evocated by the music (based Sakimoto)
- Story about essentially getting caught between nations at war with a heavy focus on intrigue and politics

Despite the different setting, the game oozes FFT vibes.

Played the prologue and noticed all the sound effects were super quiet. Not sure why, since the sound effects volume was set to the default of 100. Maybe VC thinks I've got a 5.1 setup for some reason? Anyone else have this issue?

Mesoian

Played the prologue and noticed all the sound effects were super quiet. Not sure why, since the sound effects volume was set to the default of 100. Maybe VC thinks I've got a 5.1 setup for some reason? Anyone else have this issue?

Yeah, it's a common bug. There's a lot of mixing issues going on with the audio right now.

Aselith

I've had this game forever for PS3 and never got a round to playing it. I just finished the marine forces take back the bridge mission and loving it so far. :)

jett

D-Member
- Story about essentially getting caught between nations at war with a heavy focus on intrigue and politics

I knew there was a reason the music sounded so much like FFT, hahaha. Should've known.

This describes most of the genre.

Did anyone even ask SEGA?

Well, in the first place, putting VC2 and 3 is a far larger effort, because the map design and asset quality are severely hampered by it being PSP games.

At a functional level, I'd say VC3 should easily translate over to being a full-fledged console game and a worthy sequel, but that's a massive investment to basically redesign all the levels and build the assets needed for it to be more than a handheld game.

Falk

that puzzling face
This describes most of the genre.

SRPGs? Yeah, I guess. By its very definition a strategy RPG requires a situation where you're thrust into the role of a commander.

I guess I was aiming the descriptor towards how FFT and FFXII felt different from the rest of the Final Fantasy franchise in tone. Politics were at the forefront.

I imagine the PSP games would run at dozens of thousands of lines of resolution.

From an asset perspective, it's not like VC2/3 have starkly different environments from VC1. The sequel's ripe for significant amounts of recycled assets.

It's really about transferring the improved gameplay mechanics to the VC1 console engine, build up several dozen or so high-quality character assets of the named characters... and redesign/combine all the split-up PSP maps into one large connected map.

Yeah, that's a lot of work. >.>

Corgi

Banned
- The times I'm attempting that perfect introductory headshot from across the map.

- When I re-roll for initial squadmates

- Grinding skirmishes

Thank you Gawd SSD.

whats this?

This is the 2nd time i've played this game, and the first time I only got like 3-4 missions before being distracted by something else.

Saprol

whats this?

This is the 2nd time i've played this game, and the first time I only got like 3-4 missions before being distracted by something else.
The initial squad mates you can pick are random but eventually they're all available once you get further into the game.

Levyne

Banned
Just started this up.

pre-rendered video..

pre-rendered video.

OMG it's gorgeous ;;

Edit: And saving and loading is so fast on my harddrive

From an asset perspective, it's not like VC2/3 have starkly different environments from VC1. The sequel's ripe for significant amounts of recycled assets.

It's really about transferring the improved gameplay mechanics to the VC1 console engine, build up several dozen or so high-quality character assets of the named characters... and redesign/combine all the split-up PSP maps into one large connected map.

Yeah, that's a lot of work. >.>

I would honestly be happy with just remastered versions of the original maps. It feels like VC2 and VC3 are designed around the concept of retiring people from one base to teleport them to bases on other maps, so new unified maps would probably screw with the balance a lot.

Part of me really wants to try making a total conversion of VC2/3 in VC1 PC, but goddamn that sounds like a ton of work.

Top Bottom