• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

I'm enjoying it a lot more than the first time around this time. I quit playing after a while on PS3 because I got a bit stuck and wanted to re-do some older missions to get a better rank and earn gold and experience, but the game arbitrarily locked me out of replaying the missions. I thought it was unfair that players that didn't know what they were doing were being punished into having a harder time, so I started playing something else.

This time around I've got a grasp on the mechanics and getting much more respectable scores. I'm also keeping multiple saves around, in and out of battle, which is something I can recommend to everyone.

Since it's also a console to PC port of a game that was never meant to appear on PC, I should give them props too for the port-job. Performance is really good, they display the correct keyboard inputs in-game (something small, but it's something most ports skip) and aside from blurriness in videos it scales up incredibly well. The port team deserves a pat on the back.

Is she that good/popular? Got her in my first "try" and she was an instant pick, because the other sniper was a Darcsen hater and I won't have those in my squad!
Same. I haven't really used a sniper yet, but I wanted at least one of each and I'm not having any racists on my squad.

Linkup

As a big fan of stuff like Future Tactics, BoF Dragon Quarter, and Phantom Brave I think this is right up my alley. Can't buy it right now, but it's in my shopping cart. So weird and great to see this on Steam!

Durante

The real problem here is that the game is designed in a way that encourages you to only make use of a few units per map. In most maps I ended up with a bunch of units just standing around the start location because actually using them was a waste of CP.
This is true, it's something I learned pretty late in the game on PS3. It's much smarter to just put out those units you really need in the beginning (and obviously those that give you CP, since they pay for themselves), and get additional ones once you capture new camps.

I'm not sure it's a problem though, I often feel bogged down in TBS where I have to control too many units each turn. E.g. I almost never have more than 4 active armies in something like AoW3, and you also only have at most 6 dudes in X-Com IIRC.

Shengar

The real problem here is that the game is designed in a way that encourages you to only make use of a few units per map. In most maps I ended up with a bunch of units just standing around the start location because actually using them was a waste of CP.

Many SRPG/TRPG with scoring system have this problem. Low manning in FE have been a problem for years.

patapuf

Marina is great both in terms of stats (I think she's actually #1) and personality :p

She also has potentials that are good/make sense for a sniper.

I mean, some are afraid of running out of ammo and being alone...

Ok, I found the critical part I was missing, I have to actually retreat and knock down rubble to make the radiators get exposed. I simply parked my tank at the first base and had a guy repair it each turn. Ended up beating the mission by the skin of my teeth, the last AP of the Last turn, I didn't count on having to also blow up the tank after I took out all the Radiators, so I to redeploy all my lancers in a rush.

Also, the Retreat Solider command from the old guy is super useful, all the other ones have been sort of meh (Heal is nice, haven't found a use for Sniper Fire, not even sure what the other one I got was)

I hope the PC version sells enough to get Sega to port/remake VC2 and 3, or better yet, just make a new game in the series.

You get the really good orders a bit later. Regularily visit the cemetery to get them.

This is true, it's something I learned pretty late in the game on PS3. It's much smarter to just put out those units you really need in the beginning (and obviously those that give you CP, since they pay for themselves), and get additional ones once you capture new camps.

I'm not sure it's a problem though, I often feel bogged down in TBS where I have to control too many units each turn. E.g. I almost never have more than 4 active armies in something like AoW3, and you also only have at most 6 dudes in X-Com IIRC.
I think what really breaks things here is that orders are simply too powerful. Why waste CP on more units when it's wiser to just save CP for a turn when you can stack a bunch of orders at the right time? It bothers me that I'm taking all of these units into battle and only a few are actually doing anything useful, especially since these are supposed to be war battles. If they just had a smaller unit limit, but every unit was important, that'd be quite different.

Lusankya

Best in class....has amazing accuracy and ability to gain ammo.

Marina is great both in terms of stats (I think she's actually #1) and personality :p

Awesome. She currently has 100% accuracy when it comes to headshots, nice to pick out those enemies foolish enough not to be in cover.
In mission 4 she stood on a watch tower and a tank shot her down, though. Whelp. :(

And yeah, I see why you like her design. :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Awesome. She currently has 100% accuracy when it comes to headshots, nice to pick out those enemies foolish enough not to be in cover.
In mission 4 she stood on a watch tower and a tank shot her down, though. Whelp. :(

And yeah, I see why you like her design. :)

Yeah, for that Watch Tower on the 4th Chapter, just come down once you are done, going up/down it doesn't cost any AP.

Danmn, I've fogotten most things about this game but that Marina screen brought back some memories.

Forgot how amusing the KO ragdoll bodies were, heh.

Can't wait to try this again in the future.

Whoa, this game doesn't hold back on the violence. Innocent civvies getting shot on-screen.

It also kind of heavily contrasts with the whole pretty canvas animu style too. I'm liking this though.

So, Steam is going all crazy for Alicia atm but I guess that's because she's the starting waifu. Let's give it time for people to reach further waifus in this massive contest to see who has the cutest army, right?

Played two missions yesterday, got a B and C rank... what's the trick/tip to get better ranks and not suck? Thanks in advance.

sfried

Should I use Durante's forced anisotropic filtering in this game? It looks pretty slick downscaled already, and I tested it out with both AS and no-AS, and it seems AS seems to make the watercolor effect less convincing.

It also kind of heavily contrasts with the whole pretty canvas animu style too. I'm liking this though.

So, Steam is going all crazy for Alicia atm but I guess that's because she's the starting waifu. Let's give it time for people to reach further waifus in this massive contest to see who has the cutest army, right?

Played two missions yesterday, got a B and C rank... what's the trick/tip to get better ranks and not suck? Thanks in advance.
Rank is based solely on turn count.

Seyavesh

She also has potentials that are good/make sense for a sniper.

I mean, some are afraid of running out of ammo and being alone...

the two snipers who get bonuses for hangin' around folks and bases are really great defenders for those missions when you're in a pinch immediately and you can't approach the enemy with your assault units or riflemen

Wow, seriously? So I need to find a way to end each mission in like 2 turns... Wait. That means the first mission can probably be done in 1 turn?
First mission can be done in one turn. 2nd mission the turn the tank shows up. Or is that Welkin tank mission the 3rd one? Remember that unspent CP transfers over to the next turn.

Shengar

Wow, seriously? So I need to find a way to end each mission in like 2 turns... Wait. That means the first mission can probably be done in 1 turn?

Yep, you only need to move Welkin or Alicia and solo the the entire Imperial scout squad.
This is also why scout rushing is there in the first place. No matter how creative you are tinkering with the strategy, if it took to many turns the game gonna punish you anyway.

Mohasus

Being able to save and load so fast is making me abuse the system.

"Oh, let me try this. Oops didn't work, let me try something else."

patapuf

B Rank is Ok. You can easily beat the game on Mostly B and some C ranks.

Getting A's, especially in later missions, requires map knowledge. It often also involves scout rushes and using Orders.

Imo, focusing too much on rank worsens the experience in the first playthrough. If you feel you lack XP/Gold because you got many bad ranks you can always play a skirmish map. There's quite a few of them.

Getting A's, especially in later missions, requires map knowledge. It often also involves scout rushes and using Orders.

Imo, focusing too much on rank worsens the experience in the first playthrough. If you feel you lack XP/Gold because you got many bad ranks you can always play a skirmish map. There's quite a few of them.
This also isn't a game where levels make a huge impact. The stat gains from leveling are rarely significant.

Durante

Yeah.

Also, you do miss some neat stuff by rushing, like the enemy aces who give you weapon drops (and some additional xp/money).

Durante

How do you get more options for recruits? Everyone is talking about Marina and I want her in my squad. ;)
You eventually get all the recruits. However, you can reload whenever you get new ones to get a different selection.

More Marina!
screenshot_2014-11-11hertv.jpg

tsab

I haven't played it in a while. If a recruit dies on the battlefield do I lose it forever (like in fire emblem?)
There is an achievement for this lol

Or I am mistaken? I get paranoid and reload the stage

Mohasus

I haven't played it in a while. If a recruit dies on the battlefield do I lose it forever (like in fire emblem?)
There is an achievement for this lol

Or I am mistaken? I get paranoid and reload the stage

You have 3 turns to either win the battle or send someone to rescue them (just touch them with another unit and the medic will show up).

Durante

Yes, but you have time to rescue them for three turns (unless an enemy gets to them first).

This doesn't apply to story characters, they are only out until the end of the battle. (If you save them you can re-use them in the same battle)

tsab

Yes, but you have time to rescue them for three turns (unless an enemy gets to them first).

This doesn't apply to story characters, they are only out until the end of the battle. (If you save them you can re-use them in the same battle)

You have 3 turns to either win the battle or send someone to rescue them (just touch them with another unit and the medic will show up).

Thanks for the reply, I discovered you can also save mid-game. I missed that on PS3 and stuck on Chapter 8 I think.

Rankings:

1. Alicia (this is fact, you'll find out later why)
2. Vyse (best shocktrooper by far)
3. Aika (best scout after Alicia)
4. Marina (best sniper)
5. Edy (phoenix :) )

Mibuokami

Getting a really weird bug. When I turn V-sync on with 60fps my game speed suddenly gets cut in half, as in slow-mo everything (even goes down to 30fps) until I alt-tab (after which it returns to normal until I enter another battle). This goes away if I turn off V-sync or lock my frame rate at 30.

Anyone experience something similar and know a fix? I can't stand screen tearing and will suffer 30fps to get rid of it but I would much rather a 60fps - v-sync experience.

Hastati

Got a friend to steam gift this to me (THANK YOU SO MUCH), I'm super duper excited. Gonna feel great to jump back in after all this time, never actually beat it on the ps3, and now I have no excuse.

I really, really hope this is a smashing financial success --- it deserves so much more recognition than it received. Hopefully it will also encourage them to bring over the psp games.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Glad I read on this thread that you can adjust your aim with the d-pad before I started playing, I'd go nuts trying to get headshots with the stick only.

TaroYamada

Finally sat down to play, PC literally shuts down in opening intro... Windows doesn't create a .dmp either -.- though the event log notes that I lose power.

Top Bottom