• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

As far as I know it's the day were the US celebrates their war heroes.

Oh OK, did not know about that. I guess it's a little bit weird but not really THAT big of a deal I suppose? (Haven't played the game yet so I don't know if there is anything that's particularly "Anti-Allies" in it.)

If modders really open this up one thing I'd really like is an overhaul of the scoring system. It's so much based on speed right now and it kind of locks you out of really using all your different types of soldiers and railroads you into playing just one style. It's not a big deal but it would be cool to not feel penalized for taking your time on a mission and doing it carefully.

Welp, now I'm in chapter 2 and the game is making me enlist some units amongst a pool of 20 of the--

BACK THE FUCK UP IS THAT AIKA I SEE?

SKIES OF ARCADIA CHARACTERS ARE IN THIS GAME?

AWESOME!

TaroYamada

Durante, pls kast spell on PC and make work :( I actually got it to run, by setting it to 30 FPS.

After puking a bit in my mouth over 30 FPS, it's playable.

Bio

Finally sat down to play, PC literally shuts down in opening intro... Windows doesn't create a .dmp either -.- though the event log notes that I lose power.

I used to have this problem manifest itself in certain games... I ended up 'fixing' it somehow by changing a setting in my BIOS. Something to do with the power supply and voltage, like there was an option that if it detected the wrong amount of voltage or something it would just shut down. Disabled that and it never came back.

TaroYamada

I used to have this problem manifest itself in certain games... I ended up 'fixing' it somehow by changing a setting in my BIOS. Something to do with the power supply and voltage, like there was an option that if it detected the wrong amount of voltage or something it would just shut down. Disabled that and it never came back.

I actually just reset my BIOS to factory settings a couple weeks ago and haven't touched PC gaming due to being pre-occupied with Destiny. It's very possible that I forgot to change this option back.

The other thing that gives me BSODs is my MOBO not technically supporting Win 8.... I can't use sleep/hibernate with out a BSOD most times.

Chariot

It's Remembrance Day on a lot of countries, remembering the soldiers of World War I.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day
Incidentally it's the begin of Karneval in germany.

PscKdDh.jpg

HELAU und Sieg!

Chariot

Actually, is there anything I should consider when building my squad? Should I stike a balance between choosing classes of units?
Well, you don't need as many Snipers or Engineers as Scouts and Shocktroopers, right. But the most important thing is properly who likes and dislikes whom. Darcsens with Darcsen Haters are obviously bad. On the other hand people who are friends can fight more effectively.
My Marina can't hit the broadside of barn also all my other snipers
Are you making use of the zoom function?

Hasney

With the talk of VC2 earlier, I thought I'd say that I still found a lot of enjoyment out of the game. Sure, the setting is a bit shitty, but the core gameplay is still fantastic for me and I'd love to play an unemulated version of it on the big screen. If it happens with the quality of this port, I'm there day 1.

I really think VC2 had some interesting ideas, but it was held down by not one or two but 3 bad management decisions:
  • PSP as the platform, removing the possibility for large-scale engagements (and killing the game in the West)
  • A lower budget, necessitating the increased asset and map reuse, making the game feel more samey
  • Going for "mass appeal" (in Japan, which didn't work out) by tacking on multiplayer (popular on PSP at the time) and doubling down on the anime style

4) Awful story.
5) Awful characters. (Maybe generic is better but I was not happy)

VC2 is okay but god damn was the first one so much better.

Chariot

Why is this Marina character getting so much love here?

How do I get her?
Waifu. And good stats. But mostly waifu.

You get squad members at random over the course of the game. So be patient or be Durante and furiously reload before entering the Commando Center until you get her.

This game is so good. It hasn't aged a bit in terms of presentation and gameplay...

But I don't wanna get too far in the game because
I'm afraid of a certain event (╥_╥).

TaroYamada

If your PC literally shuts down, it's always the hardware or drivers that are to blame and never an application/game.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :p

Yeah I know. It actually works completely now, vsync, 60 fps, all works. Not sure what the hell was going on. Likely never will given the lack of details in the event logger and not having a .dmp file.

Welp, now I'm in chapter 2 and the game is making me enlist some units amongst a pool of 20 of the--

BACK THE FUCK UP IS THAT AIKA I SEE?

SKIES OF ARCADIA CHARACTERS ARE IN THIS GAME?

AWESOME!

Vyse is there as well and the best bit is they are the best characters in you're squad. SEGA did that on purpose I bet.

If modders really open this up one thing I'd really like is an overhaul of the scoring system. It's so much based on speed right now and it kind of locks you out of really using all your different types of soldiers and railroads you into playing just one style. It's not a big deal but it would be cool to not feel penalized for taking your time on a mission and doing it carefully.

Yeah however it is not too difficult to get A/B rankings even if you decide to take all the camps and eliminate all the enemies. Its not too hard except for a couple of long missions.

Easy way to quickly advance is to locate enemy camps that you can take over and summon the troops you need as you go along, not position all of them at your base camp.

TaroYamada

I really wish there was a comfy couch version of this game, do you guys know if there's a comfy couch version of this game? I'd like to play it on console.

Sega, pls port to console. Sega pls.

TaroYamada

your avatar better be a reference to the final boss of segagaga

Another game they should port to console. Really tired of this preference for PC scrubs like yourself.

Sega has forgotten its roots. Like those who abandoned the blade for the musket, bad samurai.

So from what I understand, you gain universal experience from missions and you're given all the freedom to distribute it how you like between the 5 classes. Should any of the classes get immediate priority right now or can I just level them all up equally?

Durante

So from what I understand, you gain universal experience from missions and you're given all the freedom to distribute it how you like between the 5 classes. Should any of the classes get immediate priority right now or can I just level them all up equally?
You should level up somewhat equally IMHO, simply because due to the way the experience requirements rise relatively sharply you get much more bang (levels) for your buck (xp) that way.

Also, I think some orders are bound to some specific class levels.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Very, very happy to see sales doing well (by the looks of things) so far with Steam. I hope this pushes SEGA to give this series another chance as I'd like Three to come over here and a full scale sequel!

dani_dc

Oh Fuck, I closed Steam instead of minimizing, so only half the game got downloaded.
In my college internet it tells me 8 hours to download the rest of the game.

Goddammit.

Bombless

This is odd. The game sometimes falls back down to 30fps after cutscenes or scene/book page change. I have to alt+tab out and back in to clear it.

Knurek

You should level up somewhat equally IMHO, simply because due to the way the experience requirements rise relatively sharply you get much more bang (levels) for your buck (xp) that way.

Is there any sense in upgrading Engineer class?
Seems to me it's just a weaker Scout.

Top Bottom